skwada

Feb 13, 2020
Guys, we're almost at the next update. Time for predictions/hopes, what are you most looking for/dreading in update 0.43?

I really want to see Wakana in this update, I'd like for them to have broken up already, but it wouldn't make sense not to farm their breakup process from a narrative angle.

Nevertheless, one can hope - and we'll see younger goth chick!
I wanna see more Ami uwu I don't remember whether there was any Ami events or main events in the next one

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Someone raised the point of Sekai's surname a while back, and what if it's Shiawase?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I mean, there is the old theory about white rabbits being associated with Sekai. Or rather, Sekai Shiawase. If that was the case, it would make Sekai a part of the simulation characters (characters with alliterative names).

aramaug pointed out that the Shiawase group was also a part of the Pareidolia Mall sequence, but that is the event I hate the most in this game, so I'm not going back just for that.

Edit: Shiawase can literally mean happiness, and given that Sekai experienced trauma in her home enough to despise her surname, it would make sense that her surname meant happiness. She dropped it and chose instead the title "the girl who cannot breathe" in opposition to the forced veneer of happiness thrust upon her (that made her unable to breathe).

It would also fit with her pursuit of trying everything to be happy and never achieving it before Akira, it would literally be in her name.

At the very least the Shiawase group seems to be in charge of the simulation, after all, it fits that the "Happiness group" would have the slogan "remember to smile".

Last edited:

Comiies

Aug 27, 2022
Someone raised the point of Sekai's surname a while back, and what if it's Shiawase?
I mean, there is the old theory about white rabbits being associated with Sekai. Or rather, Sekai Shiawase. If that was the case, it would make Sekai a part of the simulation characters (characters with alliterative names).

aramaug pointed out that the Shiawase group was also a part of the Pareidolia Mall sequence, but that is the event I hate the most in this game, so I'm not going back just for that.

Edit: Shiawase can literally mean happiness, and given that Sekai experienced trauma in her home enough to despise her surname, it would make sense that her surname meant happiness. She dropped it and chose instead the title "the girl who cannot breathe" in opposition to the forced veneer of happiness thrust upon her (that made her unable to breathe).

It would also fit with her pursuit of trying everything to be happy and never achieving it before Akira, it would literally be in her name.

At the very least the Shiawase group seems to be in charge of the simulation, after all, it fits that the "Happiness group" would have the slogan "remember to smile".
On the topic of Sekais surname being Shiawase.We know that her relationship with her parents was so bad that not only did she completely cut them off but she abandoned her original surname and took on the Arakawa surname.In trying to support Moonflares theory i ask myself one simple question.We know that toukas family are the most powerful in Kumon-mi and that Ayames is a close second but have we ever seen even a mention of a third family? I mean the Tsumiokas(Was that their name?) and Ayanes family are a force to be reckoned with and weve seen mentions of their prestige multiple times but,to my knowledge there has been NO mention of a "Shiawase" group.

Now this can mean a couple of things.

1)Im retarded and ive missed mentions of such group
2)Moonflares theory is false
3)(The actual fun option)Sekai was the heir to the Shiawase group.Due to trauma and an overbearing enviroment(We can draw pararells with Toukas family and how she is treated as the heir,especially since she is a woman) Sekai decided to completely cut them off.The family,now without a heir collapsed and the other 2 families consumed the remains.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: aramaug

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
On the topic of Sekais surname being Shiawase.We know that her relationship with her parents was so bad that not only did she completely cut them off but she abandoned her original surname and took on the Arakawa surname.In trying to support Moonflares theory i ask myself one simple question.We know that toukas family are the most powerful in Kumon-mi and that Ayames is a close second but have we ever seen even a mention of a third family? I mean the Tsumiokas(Was that their name?) and Ayanes family are a force to be reckoned with and weve seen mentions of their prestige multiple times but,to my knowledge there has been NO mention of a "Shiawase" group.

Now this can mean a couple of things.

1)Im retarded and ive missed mentions of such group
2)Moonflares theory is false
3)(The actual fun option)Sekai was the heir to the Shiawase group.Due to trauma and an overbearing enviroment(We can draw pararells with Toukas family and how she is treated as the heir,especially since she is a woman) Sekai decided to completely cut them off.The family,now without a heir collapsed and the other 2 families consumed the remains.
In Japan there's only one surname so she'd have abandoned her original surname regardless. The thing about her surname comes from Karin's father saying that she refused to be called by her surname during her highschool days.

The Amamiya and Tsukioka families are emergent families, getting most of their money from the bubblewrap business (which is recent). The Amamiya family stagnated, while the Tsukioka family spread out to other enterprises. Bubblewrap by itself seems more like a joke than anything else, and might very well be a bogus event that only exists inside the simulation, same as the space war.

Following that logic, the Shiawase group might be a powerful family that is real (opposed to the Amamiya and Tsukioka's fake existence), and it exists outside the simulation (not being mentioned inside the simulation, since it's outside of it), and yet blending in their fingerprints (their banners are everywhere with remember to smile, and entities also use their slogans - also not discounting that there is a workplace, employees and, well, all these people have to be working for some group).

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018

Not to get pedantic or anything (because I never do that) but S and Sh aren't exactly alliterative, nor are Se and Shi represented by the same hiragana. Just saying. :)

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Not to get pedantic or anything (because I never do that) but S and Sh aren't exactly alliterative, nor are Se and Shi represented by the same hiragana. Just saying. :)
Neither are To and Tsu from Tojo Tsuneyo. So it all still fits, either by a flexible interpretation of alliterative Japanese or that the rule itself as it's applied in LiL is already broken.

Edit: guys, we made it to 43k comments just before 0.43 \o/

Last edited:

shmurfer

Dec 29, 2019
I had nothing against him doing the care packages, that said, DRM aside.
It was an ok decision to honor his patrons in a business way of thinking.

But him crawling on his knees and begging for moony, for the bonus anims, which are kinda bland, if not stock, feels like he tanked at the stock market or something worse and needs the money.
Don't forget part of adding the care packages was so he could claim the game has CP by f95 standards and tried yelling it out loud so the mods had to remove the game from the site. It wasn't purely business benevolent. And of course when it didn't work he started getting bored of them, swapping to a system that only provides the reward if enough people pay for it (bonus animations per pledge stretch goal)

For all you peeps that have seen the care packages,are they worth it? Cause ive been thinking of checking them out but going through the hoops of disabling DRM sounds like a pain
I mean im not but if the process of removing DRM is easy then why not?
You can get most of what you're after just opening the base files and then looking at the scripts for the dialogue. Most of it is phone pic tier conversation. I tried asking if anyone knows how the DRM works, as in does it mark your saves but no one could answer. In theory you could create a second instance of the game, put the patched DRM into that install, and view the packages, then go back to the base install to play the game.

Big problem with how easy the DRM is to remove is it re-enables itself every update (I'm assuming this based on how many people who aren't randoms getting bit by the DRM after every new update). There's also the idea that he could add a new DRM check every update. It's really not worth the risk imo. If you're gonna pull the trigger back up all your saves before you do it.

Fire Lord Zuko

Aug 20, 2021
the Pareidolia Mall sequence, but that is the event I hate the most in this game, so I'm not going back just for that.
You hate “Amy” the worst in the whole game?? Out of all the events? I… would not have expected that. Kinda shocks me, since “Amy” is by far my favorite Happy Event in the entire game, and actually is up there with one of my favorite events for how unique it is.

Maybe I’m just a sucker for liminal spaces and pondering what must have happened to Amy and her timeline.

And that music tho!

“A happy face makes a happy place. Please remember to smile.”

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
You hate “Amy” the worst in the whole game?? Out of all the events? I… would not have expected that. Kinda shocks me, since “Amy” is by far my favorite Happy Event in the entire game, and actually is up there with one of my favorite events for how unique it is.

Maybe I’m just a sucker for liminal spaces and pondering what must have happened to Amy and her timeline.

And that music tho!

I hate it because I always get lost in the damn thing, you can't even follow a simple spreadsheet like the reset events (and it's not included in it) - the event itself is good but I hate the mechanic so much it taints it for me.

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
Neither are To and Tsu from Tojo Tsuneyo. So it all still fits, either by a flexible interpretation of alliterative Japanese or that the rule itself as it's applied in LiL is already broken.

Edit: guys, we made it to 43k comments just before 0.43 \o/
Fair point.

So... yet another nail in the Sel-is-fallible coffin?

I hate it because I always get lost in the damn thing, you can't even follow a simple spreadsheet like the reset events - the event itself is good but I hate the mechanic so much it taints it for me.
Case in point.

I hated playing that one with a burning passion. Even playing it with the code open was a headache. Wasn't this supposed to be, I don't know, fun? Or at least engaging?

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Fair point.

So... yet another nail in the Sel-is-fallible coffin?

Case in point.

I hated playing that one with a burning passion. Even playing it with the code open was a headache. Wasn't this supposed to be, I don't know, fun? Or at least engaging?
No, it's supposed to be immersive but only following Selebus skewed philosophy of frustrating immersion that adds almost nothing worthwhile and detracts from the writing vs rely on his writing with convenient gameplay like any sane game designer, instead of overall disliked gimmicks.

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018

And that music tho!

I usually love liminal spaces — and this game is full of many spectacular examples. But playing your way through that one made me almost break my CTL key. And that's with the code open. :rolleyes:

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
No, it's supposed to be immersive but only following Selebus skewed philosophy of frustrating immersion that adds almost nothing worthwhile and detracts from the writing vs rely on his writing with convenient gameplay like any sane game designer, instead of overall disliked gimmicks.
I mean, I did post an apology for him on a similar issue not long ago. I guess I shouldn't get snarky here.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Moonflare

crustlord12

Jun 24, 2020
I hate it because I always get lost in the damn thing, you can't even follow a simple spreadsheet like the reset events (and it's not included in it) - the event itself is good but I hate the mechanic so much it taints it for me.
I was working on my own linear mod (that I stopped because someone already made one for the game) but unlike theirs, I absolutely hate the reset events and allowed skipping through them... Amy just plays each room back to back :ROFLMAO: there were like 20 different rooms! Ridiculous.
I usually love liminal spaces — and this game is full of many spectacular examples. But playing your way through that one made me almost break my CTL key. And that's with the code open. :rolleyes:
Funny that I've spoken to a few people who don't know this (cough cough fd) but hitting the Tab key once is an auto-skip button so you don't have to hold down Ctrl

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
I mean, I did post an apology for him on a similar issue not long ago. I guess I shouldn't get snarky here.
I find it to be a very different issue though. You're not making your reader change the way they read in order to advance the story.

What happens in the Amy event is that he takes his gameplay move of "keep clicking random places until you trigger an event" to the max. You can't select different parts of the Mall on a wheel as you do for general exploration of Kumon-mi. Instead you have an old school "go a cardinal direction on a forest", which even then would be better because at least there'd be always the same four possibilities.

The general exploration is already a dated and dumb idea imo, and to an extent he seems to relent a bit on that on recent updates because most events have been either obvious or automatic/chained.

As always, in theory it might be appealing, but fact of the matter is that there's very little to be gained from "wow, I finally found that I had to go to the dorms on a tuesday afternoon when Molly's affection was higher than 72 but lower than 75" vs just stating in a menu where you need to go, or having a pop-up "there's a new event available", as a lot of games do.

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
I was working on my own linear mod (that I stopped because someone already made one for the game) but unlike theirs, I absolutely hate the reset events and allowed skipping through them... Amy just plays each room back to back :ROFLMAO: there were like 20 different rooms! Ridiculous.

Funny that I've spoken to a few people who don't know this (cough cough fd) but hitting the Tab key once is an auto-skip button so you don't have to hold down Ctrl
I didn't know that.

Though I don't usually like to auto-skip — in theory, I want to be able to stop and check things out if they're, you know, interesting. :sneaky:

4.20 star(s) 298 Votes