Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
The game can invoke nice feelings though, like Akira actually trying to comfort Wakana with no ulterior motive, like an actual friend.

Weird that that moment was allowed to happen without some existential fuckery or anything malicious happening.
YET. You forgot to say yet.

Shhhhhhh.

I think the thing that keeps me coming back to this weird lil' game is exactly those visceral reactions. Whether they're positive (that Wakana scene, or the one with Osako), protective (many of them), appalled (Stomachache), or furious (again, many), LiL has made me care and respond over and over again. Astonishing, given that I don't even like the protagonist very much.

Can't say the gods in particular have ever gotten that reaction from me, though — I'm still not convinced they're not aspects of Akira's own f#$#ed-up mind, and to be honest when they show up, my main reaction is a groan of annoyance.

Reactions: BlackDays

BlackDays

Jan 30, 2021
Some things to add to the Maya memory stuff.

In "Rascal doesn't dream of Bunny girl senpai" anime, the MCs little sister loses her memory for two years and becomes a almost complete different person, and when she finally becomes her former self, it has a huge impact on her brother, who got used to her new self.

In "Farming life in another world" anime, a vampire says he has to erase most of his memories every 200 years, so he won't go insane.

Most importantly in LiL itself, Maya compares the tampering with the girls memories as "only one hard drive the whole household is using", "so it's expected to get full rather fast", "and some data has to be removed", or i guess get compressed.
That neither Sel nor Maya as a character, brought that idea up for her/herself is quiet interesting.
She should have had an "Oh wait" moment then and there.

Reactions: JelF547

fdsasdf_p

Apr 24, 2021
Now, I will just assume that Sel has not thought it through and my annoyance with this is futile. But there is simply no way that this would be anywhere near possible.
First off, having lived through millions, or even a few thousand, of resets, would make Maya's (mental) age exceed any human being by far. Not only would that have enormous negative effects to one's mental state (and by that I don't mean making Maya "cool and reserved" and somewhat arrogant and all-knowing), it would also make it near impossible for her to reliably remember anything about any previous resets, let alone small details like if Ami ever worked as a maid just once during the previous million timelines.

I just don't understand why Sel chose such a ridiculous amount, and again, if there is any indication that this is meant to be highly exaggerated, please let me know.
Because either, Prime Maya was actually massively mentally fatigued, to the point that she must have been probably hallucinating half of the time, as her capacity for retaining memories would have had to be exceeded at least tenfold. Or, it just felt like she lived through millions of resets, and actually there were only a couple hundred that lasted like 3 days (she did mention that she often just fucked the "bad" Akiras and made them disappear in front of her, I assume making people disappear liek that accelarated the resets? I might remember wrong) and maybe around 50 full on (almost) 1- school-year worth of resets. Which would still make her extremely frustrated and emotionally vacant, but at least to a realistic extent that would be plausible.
I agree that the supposedly unavoidable effect of repeating timelines on one's mentality seemingly evades Maya, even if some past resets didn't last over 6 months. Regardless, I'd say trying to use her strangely unwavering mental state to question how valid her memory is or the accurate length of the cycled time and would be futile. This part I feel like is intentionally romanticized, portraying Maya as the most unfortunate girl with the undying heart so strong that she would stubbornly wait beyond centuries to hopefully see her loved one again.

One can argue that this alone wouldn't really explain how her mentality survived when she should've gone insane, but I think this is also highly dependent on how the first loop started, how much Maya knew, or even what exactly Maya was even at that given point. So if it's up to me, before the most crucial part of this game is cleared up, for the time being I believe that this is merely a part of her character's side profiling and is effectively exaggeration on Sel's part.

Besides, there is no real or possible investigation on how many years worth of memories one can hold without going insane. The best argument anyone can bring up is "Oh I watched an anime about this once that talked about this subject in depth so it is definitely a better source material than whatever light novel your read". To me that's just people throwing questionable arguments at each other when instead it all comes down the dev's creative license and nothing more.

As for how valid her memories are with this emerging mental issue, I think the fact that all past resets being extremely repetitive helps her spot bigger anomalies that never appeared before, and Ami working as a maid isn't a small change at all (in fact it was prompted by Sensei so arguably this might be a ripple of real Sensei returning to his body).

On a final note, I'm pretty sure Maya said at one point that she didn't hold that many memories. Like, she remembered overall important points, but everything else became a blur. Which would be a fair explanation for it. But I don't recall when she said this, so it might be my imagination.
That sounds like her last words before she got reset, so it makes sense. Other than that, iirc it has always been a mixture of Maya avoiding time-based questions and white lying to Sensei to conceal information if she ever said something in the past being a blur to her.

JelF547

Mar 15, 2023
The game can invoke nice feelings though, like Akira actually trying to comfort Wakana with no ulterior motive, like an actual friend.

Weird that that moment was allowed to happen without some existential fuckery or anything malicious happening.
Akira is regaining control on his live. The problem is that he is an awful person, who should not have control on anything

4.20 star(s) 301 Votes