RPGM Completed Let's Make It With Tentacles! Dirty Boy Daughter, Arrogant Yankee vs. Tentacle Mansion [v1.0] [Kinokko]

SimReaper18

Jan 11, 2019
supposedly "male daughter" is the 100% literal translation for "otokonoko".
except not really, because although the literal translation of「男の娘」(pronounced "otoko no ko", not "otoko no musume") literally means "male daughter", it's slang for femboy .

You need to be careful about literal translations, because just like idioms, similes, and metaphors, their literal meaning might not be the same as their cultural/implied meaning.

Reactions: rageaholic

balitz Method

Jan 30, 2018
except not really, because although the literal translation of「男の娘」(pronounced "otoko no ko", not "otoko no musume") literally means "male daughter", it's slang for femboy .
The term otoko-no-ko came about first. Femboy, while not exactly equivalent, was pushed as a 'less offensive' (just going to set aside the entire is-it-or-not debate here) english term for otoko-no-ko than trap. Otoko-no-ko itself is a pun on otokonoko (boy), so in japanese the whole point is that you can't tell, even in speech, whether you're referring to a boy or not. It's very elegant in a silly way.

Otoko no musume is, literally, 'boy daughter'. Not in the way otoko-no-ko gets there, through some ambiguous kanji readings, but directly and bluntly.

Last edited:

SimReaper18

Jan 11, 2019
The term otoko-no-ko came about first. Femboy, while not exactly equivalent, was pushed as a 'less offensive' (just going to set aside the entire is-it-or-not debate here) english term for otoko-no-ko than trap. Otoko-no-ko itself is a pun on otokonoko (boy), so in japanese the whole point is that you can't tell, even in speech, whether you're referring to a boy or not. It's very elegant in a silly way.

Otoko no musume is, literally, 'boy daughter'. Not in the way otoko-no-ko gets there, through some ambiguous kanji readings, but directly and bluntly.
ah, interesting

can you tell that I'm trying to learn Japanese, but clearly thought that what I said was the only correct way to interpret it?

In my defense, my main point that I was trying to make with the comment was that the kanji for the game's name was 「男の娘」, not 「男の子」, which has different connotations according to Jisho. One is femboy, the other is just a boy. I only really considered how it would be read, not how it would be pronounced. And I only really posted the comment because they said that 「おとこのむすめ」would be a better title, but according to Jisho, the title would only be read as 「男の娘(おとこのこ)」, not as they said it should be called.

It doesn't help that I deleted like half my comment once I noticed something about their comment, and just decided to send the comment anyways.

BingoDingo123

Jan 24, 2022
Try Pandoras Forest, if you like it the good news is the same developer is creating another game in the same style with more content in a roguelike gameplay loop. They definitely make the best games within the trap/femboy genre in my opinion.
Played it but never finished it, I'll give it another go. Any other recommendations would be nice.