Let's push forward, your opinion matters.

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Also, you can compare programming to building with LEGO, while you can buy finished kits (assets in unity for example), you might want to make additions to your game, sometimes you can do this by kitbashing, (in unity terms it would be using different finished assets/components). All the code syntax is basically just knowing what LEGO pieces fits best to get what you want in the end. You can get really damn creative with all the basics.

Buying these finished kits doesnt mean that they are made the most efficient way either or flexible in the way you want it, some are more like superglued together lego models, not meant to use the pieces for other things, or with other things, just like ren'py has tons of problems for some coders, its the same with fungus and these other adventure engines etc for unity.

Now, in terms of programming many games are basically just finished lego models, and people add a piece here and there from other kits, change the colors etc and move a few pieces to make it look different, or not. But, if you do it from scratch it's like making a lego construction that is without the instruction manual, only a few pictures of the model from one side. Whatever is inside and behind it you have to figure out yourself, and you can get really really creative with what you do with these standard pieces. And if there is no standard piece, you then introduce a 3d-printer and just make your own piece that fits your build. This is where most people struggle and feel like its getting messy. They really try hard to make a piece from another kit fit, instead of learning how to just print it yourself because it can be very overwhelming.

My code, is not rocket science, it's just a lot of carefully thought out custom lego build (using standard C# and Unity features) as well as 3d-printing and making it all fit as intended. It's really a big puzzle knowing what piece fits best where, because not all pieces have to fit perfectly for things to "work". Thats where performance kicks in. Imagine driving a car on square weels, it will move, but god damn its a bumpy inneficient ride.

/A

Madbadbutajoytoknow

Game Developer
Jan 4, 2018
I'm not going to answer all the of your questions but character customisation is, in my opinion, very important. Too may games look very samey. I like games where some times has gone into the look of the character instead of simply relying on stock models with big tits.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
I'm not going to answer all the of your questions but character customisation is, in my opinion, very important. Too may games look very samey. I like games where some times has gone into the look of the character instead of simply relying on stock models with big tits.
Tbh, I think if models was more like the "girls next door" type, it would been better. Sure, more unique character models would be nice, but without a good story , wouldn't mean much.

Reactions: Madbadbutajoytoknow

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
In big tits we trust!
All about the big tits!
A world without big tits would be a sad place!

Well, that sums it up for me :D

Reactions: Madbadbutajoytoknow