Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
I'm not really sure where you got that impression, but I am working on it full time (eg 40hrs + a week) on top of a full time dayjob, and I'm pretty sure I told you that during the 9 months you were a ground tier patron. But if I remember correctly, you seemed to want me to spend a lot of time being active on patreon and discord, while I'd rather spend that time working on trying to finish this beast.

The good-bye rant about the curse of 0.5 and the game heading for abandonment was a classy touch btw, real motivational stuff.

Let me just make one thing clear to everyone reading this: I'm making LomL because I want to make a game, this game. Not because I want to rake in cash. I'm super grateful for every bit of love and support that I get, but I'd still be doing this if I had none at all. What I'm not gonna do is take time away from creating this game to entertain on patreon or discord in the hopes of attracting more support.
Once its done put it on steam and i guarantee you cash coming in like crazy.

Edit: I mean the entire game. Once you are done with it put it on steam. Trust me on this one :)

Last edited:

Pizznazz

Game Developer
Apr 24, 2017
Well, I'm not gonna lie. Being a lone dev on a huge project, it can be taxing, especially when people come round yelling at you, and I found myself at the brink of having a tiny emotional breakdown myself. I wanted to have a quick and dirty verification to check if I'm not lagging or faltering, and I'm happy I can conclude that if anything, I'm actually picking up speed.
While the scale of my project doesn't quite match yours, I fully sympathise with what you're saying here: working on a big project solo is really tough. But I think you're doing a great job sticking on with things, despite the difficulty. I've crashed my project in a big way two times now so devs like you are a real inspiration.

Keep up the work, ignore the whiners and remember you have solid core of fans who are happy to wait as long as it takes!

hmc15

Apr 4, 2019
As time passes, expectations are rising, and really, I get that some people are getting fed up or losing trust. So I'm reposting this patreon/subscribestar post from today here, hopefully that helps to take aways some doubts you're having (I admit in writing it, it took away some of mine as well).

-----

State of chapter 5

Well, even though I've been able to update the progress bar every Wednesday over the past period, it's been a little while since the last write up, so let's do some numbers again.
Keep in mind that the number below are rough, and the conclusions you can make from them come with a wide margin of error.

Let's do the images.

Right now there's 6101 individual .png image files in LomL, and 3800 .webp files. Since I've last converted .png files into .webp releasing chapter 4, that means 2301 images added.

Note: images don't translate one-on-one into renders, as I cut up renders into bits in order to do the little animation stuff. I'm taking a wild and baseless guess the ratio is about 1.5 images for every 1 render.

So what conclusion can we draw from this? Well, at this moment, chapter 5 has 2.4x the average for the previous chapter in images added, and we're not even there yet.
Yay, that means it's 2.4 times better, because everyone knows the quality of a VN is measured by the number of images! Nah, I'm just kidding, it's not. But it's a nice indication of effort; creating up the visuals are the greatest time sink by far for me.

Mind you, that's creating the visual scenes that take up my time, not rendering: rendering time is irrelevant as that happens while I'm working editing, writing and coding.

So that means it's already 2.4 times as long as the previous chapter?

Ah... no. This chapter requires me to create almost all visuals from scratch as we're not spending much time (if any) at our usual haunts. I'm guessing it'll be similar in size to the last installment, but I've not measured it in any way.

Let's do development time!

Let's compare that to development times: the final version of the last chapter came out May 20th, so let's peg it at 5.5 months now? The chapter before that came out just before Christmas, so lets say 5 months development time for chapter 3 to completion?

So from a graphics/images point of view, chapter 5 development isn't lagging/slowing down in comparison to the previous chapters, it's picking up.

But are we there yet?

Now, let's look at overall progression. From the progress bar, we've got 41 portraits filled in, 5 partials, and 6 remaining. Let's count the partials as 50%: that leaves 41+2.5 finished, 6+2.5 remaining, so that's 83% of the way there (rounding down).
That's about as far as I'm willing to go at this point though. Given the numbers above, and the fact that history shows an additional two weeks or so of proofing and QA, I'll let you draw your own conclusions; I'm not willing to commit to any dates until I'm sure this beast has thrown all it had at me.

Why this little breakdown?

Well, I'm not gonna lie. Being a lone dev on a huge project, it can be taxing, especially when people come round yelling at you, and I found myself at the brink of having a tiny emotional breakdown myself. I wanted to have a quick and dirty verification to check if I'm not lagging or faltering, and I'm happy I can conclude that if anything, I'm actually picking up speed.

As always, I'm super grateful for your love and support, and dedicated to get the next installment of LomL in your hands as fast as is humanly possible.
None of this matters. Thank you for sharing information, but it's completely unnecessary.

LomL is among the best AVNs, if not the best, and almost all the competing games have exorbitant update delays.

AWAM? Game updates every 4 months for about ~10 minutes of playing content.

Milfy City? Game is basically abandoned.

This game releases full chapters with character development, story progression, and - most of all - illicit content escalation.

As far as I'm concerned this game IS THE STANDARD for AVNs in terms of updates and storytelling

Rico83

Jan 15, 2018
naughtyroad Success in any form will invariably draw negative attention. People will be unsatisfied, jealous or whatever. Since this is a second job/hobby for you, my humble suggestion is for you to shrug at the naysayers and keep doing what you want to do. I for one enjoy the fruits of your labor and hope to continue doing so for a long time.
Amen!(y)

Small tits are best

Nov 27, 2018
this is the only Game/VN that i sup to have done right from the start because of its uniqueness
this and this alone
try to remember it is not just a simple copy and paste it is unique so it will take time.
please try to be patient .
because each update is not just 5 minutes of game play and big fixes but a playable chapter this has got to be worth the wait
end of rant.
stay safe all

SatansSausage

Dec 30, 2018
Maybe I'm being naive here, but I can't see how beating someone over the head is a successful method to "improve" productivity let alone product quality. Therefore my observation (for what its worth) is let Naughty get on with his passion and not keep interrupting, this can only lead to more potential delay. Got that off my chest (for now anyway).

InvaderZim

Jun 18, 2019
Maybe I'm being naive here, but I can't see how beating someone over the head is a successful method to "improve" productivity let alone product quality. Therefore my observation (for what its worth) is let Naughty get on with his passion and not keep interrupting, this can only lead to more potential delay. Got that off my chest (for now anyway).
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Well known and successful motivational technique /s

Naxos

Engaged Member
May 9, 2018
It worked well for the Egyptians when building the pyramids right?

#toosoon?

Deleted member 1412183

Game Developer
May 15, 2019
I sympathize with Naughty. I see a lot of comments demanding this or that and getting mad about the delay in updates.

So like NR said, it takes A LOT of time to develop these games and he's doing EVERYTHING. Major game studios with full teams of people delay games all the time. Look at Cyberpunk 2077, coincidentally, it's been delayed about 2077 times by now.

I do this full-time and see how much work it takes, and this guy has a full-time day job. People complaining should really think about that because it only serves to bring down our morale when we are doing the absolute best we can and providing you with a game you can play for fun.

Just give devs like NR a chance before you criticize and attack because we really do try our best.

P.S. THIS is a top quality game and we should not take it for granted. Sure it'll take some time to get done, but it'll be worth the wait as a game you can replay for years to come.

Belfaborac

Jul 7, 2019
It worked well for the Egyptians when building the pyramids right?

#toosoon?

Sooooo OT, but the pedant and history buff in me demands to be allowed a quick rant:

It's been well and truly established that the pyramids were not built by slaves, but by a combined mass of skilled workmen and ordinary citizens. All of them paid, fed, housed and well treated by the (somewhat low....) standards of the time.

#JusticeforthePharaos #KhufuwasKool

greeneyed

Jul 30, 2017
I'd just want to point out the Dev lives in USA (from what I've read), he earns $2700ish a month from Patreon. Patreon take 3-5% cut from that, then the USA government yoink with a tax cut ranging from 7-25%. (Depending where you live, because thanks for making tax confusing America with all your bloody states). Now I'm thinking thats a little under $2000 most likely, that's probably not going to cut it for living. (Think about food costs, rent, electricity, gas).
So hence he works 9-5pm. So a average person sleeps 8 hours a day, because that's about the recommended sweet spot. So if your working that time he'll have 8 hours of sleep, 8 hours of work, (1 hour of commuting I'd image). 7 hours of the day left, seems a lot? Laundry, making dinner, cleaning, shopping etc... Then you need actually rest time to fresh yourself or you risk mental breakdown and oh boy F95zone has seen a lot of dev's having that issue.
So if you've read it this far you've got the point, leave the Dev alone he's doing fine. There is a lot worse devs out there, some guy who likes gum... I think sometimes he drops it?

Nemodow

Mar 29, 2019
minimum wage is like 2 dollars a month
Oh man, that feel when you live in a country that has ~< 100 times bigger minimum wage than Venezuela. Hashtag winner.

but seriously, working your life away is not healthy.
Yeah, i second this. I don't think anybody should put so much effort into anything. Have you heard about Terry Davis?

Last edited:
4.70 star(s) 488 Votes