Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
Yeah, 'cause making just below minimum wage after taxes and fees on this thing on an per hour basis without any growth shown in the past year or two just screams "now is the time to give it all away to someone you have manage, keep supplied with a steady flow of work, handhold to get your style right, proof the output of, and then do your own job at the same time but now without any income to show for it, while juggling all that with a second job and a family". :FacePalm:

This discussion brings a tear to my eye, recalling the time management came to me in the past, right after laying 30 technicians off, telling me I had to, quote - "Do more with less" - to which I replied "No... you do Less with Less".

Dec 3, 2020
Holy hell, just finished everything up to the latest chapter and...WOW. I'm absolutely blown away. This game has made me feel things in my cold dead heart I didn't even know was still inside me. Absolutely S-tier fresh slow burn writing. You've 100% earned yourself a forever sub from me on Patreon Naughty. Exceptional work! Ngl I actually got kinda depressed once I hit the end...but really that's even more of a glowing endorsement given that reaction only happens with the best of the best in terms of media. Greatly looking forward to Chapter 7. I don't mind the long wait...just as long as it maintains the current stellar quality!
Obligatory:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019
Holy hell, just finished everything up to the latest chapter and...WOW. I'm absolutely blown away. This game has made me feel things in my cold dead heart I didn't even know was still inside me. Absolutely S-tier fresh slow burn writing. You've 100% earned yourself a forever sub from me on Patreon Naughty. Exceptional work! Ngl I actually got kinda depressed once I hit the end...but really that's even more of a glowing endorsement given that reaction only happens with the best of the best in terms of media. Greatly looking forward to Chapter 7. I don't mind the long wait...just as long as it maintains the current stellar quality!
Obligatory:
aaaaand its wallpaper time

Feb 22, 2018
Well personally i like the Ballista better. But ended up with a lot of bear half's. Turns out it's really hard to line the bears butt crack up just right.
So i ended updating my Trebuchet to a Mangonel. Way less effort to fire it ;)
Ballistae are boring catapults. Let's face it: anything that flings a thing is a catapult. Trebuchets are catapults. The girls need to know this.

bdbill

Feb 5, 2018
I love your game and the story but if we are being honest updates do take a very long time considering many of the assets are reused. Keep at it!

Reactions: Xythros

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I love your game and the story but if we are being honest updates do take a very long time considering many of the assets are reused. Keep at it!
If we're being honest - no, no they do not. Not when you consider that there is a lot going on behind the scenes in the writing and coding, as well as the posing and editing of different assets to produce over 7 hours of content in each of the past two chapter releases. That's only counting the main route, not counting the alternate dialogues depending on whether or not players choose to be intimate with various characters.

In 2021, the developer logged over 2500 hours for Chapter 6's release.
In 2022, the developer has logged over 2200 hours for Chapter 7, so far.

bdbill

Feb 5, 2018
If we're being honest - no, no they do not. Not when you consider that there is a lot going on behind the scenes in the writing and coding, as well as the posing and editing of different assets to produce over 7 hours of content in each of the past two chapter releases. That's only counting the main route, not counting the alternate dialogues depending on whether or not players choose to be intimate with various characters.

In 2021, the developer logged over 2500 hours for Chapter 6's release.
In 2022, the developer has logged over 2200 hours for Chapter 7, so far.

Although i want to believe those numbers they are impossible. 2500 hours = 104 days. You really believe he spent 1/3 of his year just in development? So every single day he gets 8 hours of sleep, 8 hours of fulltime job, 8 hours of dev for this game, repeat. Its just not possible...

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Although i want to believe those numbers they are impossible. 2500 hours = 104 days. You really believe he spent 1/3 of his year just in development? So every single day he gets 8 hours of sleep, 8 hours of fulltime job, 8 hours of dev for this game, repeat. Its just not possible...
Firstly, there are 8760 hours in a year - so 2500 is closer to 28-29%.
Secondly, the job that pays the bills is 32 hours per week (19% of the hours in a week).
Thirdly, who says he sleeps 8 hours per day? The average adult does not get 8 hours (Even at 8 hours, that's 33% of the hours in a week).

Doing the math: 29%+19%+33% = 81%

Meaning that after working the job that pays the bills, and working on the game, and sleeping, that leaves about 19% or about 32 hours per week for family time.

15 hours Monday-Friday (3 hours per day)
17 hours Saturday & Sunday (8.5 hours per day)

Also, remember, some of those 2500 hours are his computer rendering those 'reused assets,' as you called them. Which means he can step away and enjoy some moments with the family while the computer is chunking away. Or he can communicate with fans and critics on here or on his discord or on other platforms.

That's not also taking into account any personal days he may take off from the one job and using those hours for development.

So, yes, Virginia, it is not only possible -- it is probable.

It's no different than the working parents I know in the US whose employers pay shit wages, so they end up working two full-time jobs just to put a roof over their heads, food on the table, and clothes on their kids backs.

bdbill

Feb 5, 2018
Firstly, there are 8760 hours in a year - so 2500 is closer to 28-29%.
Secondly, the job that pays the bills is 32 hours per week (19% of the hours in a week).
Thirdly, who says he sleeps 8 hours per day? The average adult does not get 8 hours (Even at 8 hours, that's 33% of the hours in a week).

Doing the math: 29%+19%+33% = 81%

Meaning that after working the job that pays the bills, and working on the game, and sleeping, that leaves about 19% or about 32 hours per week for family time.

15 hours Monday-Friday (3 hours per day)
17 hours Saturday & Sunday (8.5 hours per day)

Also, remember, some of those 2500 hours are his computer rendering those 'reused assets,' as you called them. Which means he can step away and enjoy some moments with the family while the computer is chunking away. Or he can communicate with fans and critics on here or on his discord or on other platforms.

That's not also taking into account any personal days he may take off from the one job and using those hours for development.

So, yes, Virginia, it is not only possible -- it is probable.

It's no different than the working parents I know in the US whose employers pay shit wages, so they end up working two full-time jobs just to put a roof over their heads, food on the table, and clothes on their kids backs.
You're assuming 0 days off 0 holidays. I wouldnt say probable but we can disagree :) Again i love the game so hoping this comes out this year, im assuming hes aiming for christmas/new years

• Angry
Reactions: JohnEffinDoe

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
You're assuming 0 days off 0 holidays. I wouldnt say probable but we can disagree :) Again i love the game so hoping this comes out this year, im assuming hes aiming for christmas/new years
If you've been following the posting of the weekly progress charts in here from the discord (or, better yet, go join the discord from the link in OP) you're likely to get a better picture of what to expect. Personally, I'm not going to make a prediction of when - but each of the last two chapter releases took about a year and this chapter looks as complex and full of content as those, if not more.

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
8 hours of sleep? What is this madness? Last time i slept for that long was January 19..something (when my first daughter was born) and since then sleep is this mysterious thing everybody seems to know but i only remember from the old days. Back when life was easier.
On the bright side i am getting old so NAP TIME is AWESOME! But after a few decades i can't stay sleeping after 4 or 6 hours depending on work and private life :ROFLMAO:

Before someone asks. No i don't know the year. My daughters stay all 25 forever and ever you hear me? No way i need my youngest to rat me out to the others talking about their age. I like my head attached on my body. o_O

I was hoping dec/jan but feb/mar seems more likely.
Good things come...
Indeed. Good things make you cum :ROFLMAO:

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Although i want to believe those numbers they are impossible.
3-4 hrs a night for four weekdays I'm working the second job, 12 hours for Saturday, Sunday and the weekday not spent on the other job. On average about 50hrs a week. x43 weeks so far = 2150 hrs. Looking at the recent status update about 4 posts up, it says 2246 but that's because I also lump a good deal of the paid vacation days of the other job into development.

So you see, the math works out fine.

Wrt reused assets, there's not all that much. Even if an emote is the same, when it's in a new set or uses a new outfit, it has to be redone to fit the outfit, match the lighting to the venue etc. So that's 15-30 mins an emote x a crapload of emotes plus post plus importing into renpy and then there's, like Morando alluded to, the scripting and the writing and, urh, it just goes on and there's always more to do.

But that's not where the bulk of the work goes, that goes into lewds. One lewdscene might be anything up to several hundred hours of work to complete just the graphical assets for it, and there's not a part of it that reuses assets, it's all custom posed, custom lit, custom outfit tweaks, dforce runs. After initial startup, anything from 1-4 hours per image to set up (excluding rendering, but that happens in parallel to other work), and usually about a hundred images or more to a scene.

There's a reason LomL doesn't look like games that put out a quick release every month.

Looks like he's stuck. Over the past couple of weeks, progress has not been very fast.
Nope, not stuck, just, well, see above. There's a ton of work getting done, but there's many, many tons of work to do.

Dremel

Sep 24, 2017
But that's not where the bulk of the work goes, that goes into lewds. One lewdscene might be anything up to several hundred hours of work to complete just the graphical assets for it, and there's not a part of it that reuses assets, it's all custom posed, custom lit, custom outfit tweaks, dforce runs. After initial startup, anything from 1-4 hours per image to set up (excluding rendering, but that happens in parallel to other work), and usually about a hundred images or more to a scene.
The more attention to those scenes the merrier. A GOAT still requires nurture/care. I don't care about the date. I'll keep subbed untill it's done and after.

We caught a vibe (yeah, yeah)
Baby, are you coming for the ride? (The ride, the ride, the ride)
When I look into your eyes (your eyes, your eyes)
I just wanna hold you all night (all night)
Maybe we can take a drive (take a drive)
Baby, we can hit the 405
Hypnotized by the lights
Man, this must be the life

Meet me at our spot
Got something I wanna show you
Meet me at our spot
They can't find us there

Dec 3, 2020
3-4 hrs a night for four weekdays I'm working the second job, 12 hours for Saturday, Sunday and the weekday not spent on the other job. On average about 50hrs a week. x43 weeks so far = 2150 hrs. Looking at the recent status update about 4 posts up, it says 2246 but that's because I also lump a good deal of the paid vacation days of the other job into development.

So you see, the math works out fine.

Wrt reused assets, there's not all that much. Even if an emote is the same, when it's in a new set or uses a new outfit, it has to be redone to fit the outfit, match the lighting to the venue etc. So that's 15-30 mins an emote x a crapload of emotes plus post plus importing into renpy and then there's, like Morando alluded to, the scripting and the writing and, urh, it just goes on and there's always more to do.

There's a reason LomL doesn't look like games that put out a quick release every month.

Nope, not stuck, just, well, see above. There's a ton of work getting done, but there's many, many tons of work to do.
We can wait, and we all greatly appreciate all your hard work dev. Quality always takes time, believe me I'm constantly having to remind my boss at the studio of this hard reality:

4.70 star(s) 488 Votes