Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
You'd think in such an open marketplace success would breed adoption of unique features like these.
It requires too much time and work when many develop games as a hobby or side gig; a similar game would be wrapping Chapter 2, maybe Chapter 3, at this time in the process. Also, there's the dealing with the impatience of the belligerents roaring about long release cycles. Let's not forget the self-styled beauty judges who swipe their claws in the stream on the looks of the characters. Even here, trebuchets are employed often to vault bears back into hibernation.

Also, NaughtyRoad has experience and talent in all three skillsets: 3D character design and posing, creative writing, and coding. Is he a master of them? No, but he's a decent jack-of-all-trades. Not many people currently developing adult games are adequate in one, let alone all three. He also releases pretty bug-free updates. What bugs there are seem to be minor and far between. The critique I have for him is for him to remember to "kill his darlings" in his writing revisions: editing for content. While I was recording my playthrough videos, I found myself saying "I get it, move along in the story" or "you've told this joke/pun enough times, already." It's good writing but could use an editor's flair with a red pen. That said, that's my training getting the better of my patience.

(of course, I took far too long to type this response with my edits and still it's longer than I'd like)

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
(...)The critique I have for him is for him to remember to "kill his darlings" in his writing revisions: editing for content. While I was recording my playthrough videos, I found myself saying "I get it, move along in the story" or "you've told this joke/pun enough times, already." It's good writing but could use an editor's flair with a red pen. That said, that's my training getting the better of my patience.

(of course, I took far too long to type this response with my edits and still it's longer than I'd like)
Oh yeah, I do have a problem with that, I'll admit.:D

1688902858694.png

Step one is admitting the problem, right? Can I stop at that?

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Why translate names?
They aren't talking about translating names, I don't think - they are talking about how players have the ability to enter custom names and relationships for Denise and Macy. If a person does so using Russian language, the ending of the noun determines how the rest of the sentence should be constructed to match.

First declension: nouns ending in -a, -я
Second declension: nouns ending in -o, -e and some without an ending after the stem (zero ending)
Third declension: some nounds without an ending after the stem (zero ending)
"Fourth" declension (Heteroclitic): nouns that don't follow the above rules

So you can see if a player names Denise Машей (Masha), that means sentences should be written to match that declension differently than if the player names her София (Sofia). This would also have structure issues with custom relationship terms.

However, I think this could be noted in README.txt notes about the translation - that it was chosen to use one form over another (i.e. chose to structure sentences based upon first declension). Also, I believe many native Russian readers would understand the problem and would be able to overcome the issues on their own.

BC

Jul 13, 2017
It requires too much time and work when many develop games as a hobby or side gig; a similar game would be wrapping Chapter 2, maybe Chapter 3, at this time in the process. Also, there's the dealing with the impatience of the belligerents roaring about long release cycles. Let's not forget the self-styled beauty judges who swipe their claws in the stream on the looks of the characters. Even here, trebuchets are employed often to vault bears back into hibernation.

Also, NaughtyRoad has experience and talent in all three skillsets: 3D character design and posing, creative writing, and coding. Is he a master of them? No, but he's a decent jack-of-all-trades. Not many people currently developing adult games are adequate in one, let alone all three. He also releases pretty bug-free updates. What bugs there are seem to be minor and far between. The critique I have for him is for him to remember to "kill his darlings" in his writing revisions: editing for content. While I was recording my playthrough videos, I found myself saying "I get it, move along in the story" or "you've told this joke/pun enough times, already." It's good writing but could use an editor's flair with a red pen. That said, that's my training getting the better of my patience.

The writing surpasses any VN I’ve seen by far.

Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
First declension: nouns ending in -a, -я
Second declension: nouns ending in -o, -e and some without an ending after the stem (zero ending)
Third declension: some nounds without an ending after the stem (zero ending)
"Fourth" declension (Heteroclitic): nouns that don't follow the above rules

So you can see if a player names Denise Машей (Masha), that means sentences should be written to match that declension differently than if the player names her София (Sofia). This would also have structure issues with custom relationship terms.
Wow, that's really complicated. Do any other languages have names determine how a sentence has to work?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Jeancul

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Wow, that's really complicated. Do any other languages have names determine how a sentence has to work?
Names with different endings may need different suffixes in some languages. This may be a potential problem with translations, where custom names can be used for characters.

Last edited:
Reactions: misha958
4.70 star(s) 488 Votes