playerme

Jun 3, 2018
Hey, I just fake it until I make it.

Lionel Trains had three rails and were S-gauge. The O-gauge trains were like the Micro Machines, they were that small. HO was about Matchbox Car size. I had a train set that was comparable in size, but had two rails. Apparently, that was S-gauge. The "G-gauge" trains are what are termed "lawn trains".

We were too poor for Leggo, so it was American Bricks, which didn't hold together worth a damn. You had to build the buildings in place, or risk them falling apart.

Then, with the tree up, the train circling it and your back screaming because you were bent over all afternoon, you head off and play on the 'puter and fight with LT and Java. Looks like a full day to me.

I'm far from an intellectual. I attended university, I never graduated.
If I were smart, I wouldn't feel like the Packleds of Star Trek TNG fame looking for "things to make us go" while trying to locate Geordie La'Forge, so I could kidnap him to make me stronger.

Ooh, I were WRONG! Toy train set gauges are as follows. See? Far from intellectual.

Per Wikipedia,

The words scale and gauge seem at first interchangeable but their meanings are different. Scale is the model's measurement as a proportion to the original, while gauge is the measurement between the rails.

The size of engines depends on the scale and can vary from 700 mm (27.6 in) tall for the largest ridable scales such as 1∶4, down to matchbox size for the smallest: (1∶220) or (1∶450). A typical engine is 50 mm (1.97 in) tall, and 100 to 300 mm (3.94 to 11.81 in) long. The most popular scales are: , , , , (in Britain, the similar ), , and (1∶160 in the United States, but 1∶148 in the UK). HO and OO are the most popular. Popular narrow-gauge scales include , and , which are the same in scale as S, HO and N except with a narrower spacing between the tracks (in these examples, a scale 3 ft (914 mm) instead of the 4 ft 8+1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge).

The largest common scale is 1∶8, with 1∶4 sometimes used for park rides. (Garden, ) is most popular for backyard modelling. It is easier to fit a G scale model into a garden and keep scenery proportional to the trains. and Gauge 3 are also popular for gardens. O, S, HO, and N scale are more often used indoors.

ScaleRatio
T1∶450
ZZ1∶300
Z1∶220
N1∶160
2mm1∶152
TT1∶120
3mm1∶101
HO1∶87
OO1∶76.2
S1∶64
O1∶48
11∶32
G1∶22.5

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarkath

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
Okay, time to go way off topic, most likely ending with this post being deleted. I recently had an interesting job involving model trains (and its weird as fuck that I can say that) and I've had literally no where to actually share this.

So like, I know nothing about model trains. But about six months ago I was involved in setting up the most bonkers model train, like, showroom and workshop I've ever seen. I got pulled in to help with a mix of 3d printers and computer equipment, as well as a building out a really cool modular, programmable lighting and control system for the display room. The budget this guy threw at this playroom of his was was only like... 100x my yearly salary lol

It both made me really, really interested, and really, really not interested at the same time. Because like, the setup we built was fucking insanity, but holy shit getting to the point this guy was at seems like the most tedious work ever. And as much as I fucking loved building out this lighting system, god I don't care about the intricate details of every train that's ever existed (don't tell the person who hired me). I really wish I could show some pictures but that'd be pushing too closely to my NDA with the kinds of people I actually want to respect the NDA for lol

This is why networking is awesome and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. I got to see the one of the coolest "rich person's hobby area" type locations I could imagine while also being paid to build some cool shit. And I got a ride in a sports car worth more than my house.

Seriously, anyone young out there; networking. Fucking do it. It pays off, even if you're starting off as a broke nobody like me. I don't know why I always see people shitting on the idea on social media.

Edit... with some irony behind it...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You know... You might be the one person who edits your posts as often as I do lol

Last edited:

Tattletale21

Jan 26, 2020
This forum about a day ago: Hey let's bitch and whine about the many, many issues with this game!

This forum literally an hour later: let's all tlak about computer tech and hardware and java issues and stuff!

This forum an hour after that: let's bitch and whine about the game's many issues again!

This forum an hour after that: let's all chat tech and computers again!

wtf even is this forum. i've never seen a forum on here flip-flop between the two so much before.

and now model trains are getting involved??? like. what?

IvoryOwl

Mar 29, 2017
This forum about a day ago: Hey let's bitch and whine about the many, many issues with this game!

This forum literally an hour later: let's all tlak about computer tech and hardware and java issues and stuff!

This forum an hour after that: let's bitch and whine about the game's many issues again!

wtf even is this forum. i've never seen a forum on here flip-flop between the two so much before.

Honestly, it makes perfect sense to me. Many of the game's issues are technical by nature, which segways into related topics about hardware, programming and java. Or troubleshooting things for people who need help. We may bitch and moan about it but at least this means we can get something useful/creative out of it sometimes...

I mean, it's not like we have a lot else to talk about... Personally, I wouldn't mind having off-topic conversations with y'all but I don't think the mods would appreciate that either...

Last edited:

Sinicus

Nov 25, 2021
Please make it available for Android, I don't have a PC and I've heard so many good things about this game

playerme

Jun 3, 2018
Honestly, it makes perfect sense to me. Many of the game's issues are technical by nature, which segways into related topics about hardware, programming and java. Or troubleshooting things for people who need help. We may bitch and moan about it but at least this means we can get something useful/creative out of it sometimes...

I mean, it's not like we have a lot else to talk about... Personally, I wouldn't mind having off-topic conversations with y'all but I don't think the mods would appreciate that either...

I am the one at fault for bringing up the off topic stuff. For that I will apologise. It stemmed from me saying things about my system, in my attempts to run the game. Which led to games and toys, then eventually trains.

The issue is trying to get the game to play nicely with Java in Linux -- which i still have not done and I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it.

However, for the off topic stuff, I humbly apologise.

Please make it available for Android, I don't have a PC and I've heard so many good things about this game
If you have a smart phone, you have a personal computer. It's just palm-sized. My smart phone is newer and more powerful than my PC.
Consider this, Android is actually a distribution of Linux. that being said, I have to wonder if an Android port would be wise. I can't imagine trying the configuration fixes I've tried on android. I mean, I'm a decent typist, but some of the things I've had to do with my KB ... and trying to do them with a smart phone makes my blood run cold. Sure, I could do SOME of it on my 'puter and port it over to the phone with a cable, but .... Yeesh!

Then again, maybe in their attempts to do it up for Android they might fix what keeps me from playing the ruddy thing.

Last edited:

SheepPun

Mar 30, 2021
I mean, one of the major complaints is the amount or lack thereof, of meaningful updates. Sometimes there isn't much to talk about.

Also I personally enjoy the tech talk, it helps expand from "hurrdurr bad code" to "these are the main issues which cause this and this" ... and hurrdurr bad code at times

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021

This is how these threads go. The game *frequently* goes through content droughts. Look at this year, we've gotten like... two good content drops all year. And mechanically, nothing has changed during the last year at all.

There's nothing to talk about. And we've got a good number of techie people in here.

Lately the thread of this game has more entertainment value than the game itself... i-is this what they call "getting ratioed" ??
That's been true for three years now lol

Those old blog posts that'd push 500-1000 comments for example.

That's not going to happen. The game was never designed with mobile in mind, and it barely works on PC.

I am the one at fault for bringing up the off topic stuff. For that I will apologise. It stemmed from me saying things about my system, in my attempts to run the game. Which led to games and toys, then eventually trains.

The issue is trying to get the game to play nicely with Java in Linux -- which i still have not done and I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it.

However, for the off topic stuff, I humbly apologise.
If it wasn't you, it would have been one of us. We go off topic a lot lol

And I'm sure the f95 mods love us, because we got like 10 pages purged for being off topic every couple months lol

Nov 21, 2020
Lately the thread of this game has more entertainment value than the game itself... i-is this what they call "getting ratioed" ??
I remember when i first discovered this game. I'd go to Innos blog for information on updates and stuff. Once i realised that the game wasn't really going anywhere, the blog turned into a weekly source of entertainment for me. It's honestly fascinating what people are able to write on public forums when their favourite furry simulator (not hating, i was a big fan of this game too, but lets be real here) missed the update deadline for the fourth time in a row. Then the comments were eventually turned off, and i started coming to this thread instead. Unfortunately people have to make accounts here and the whole thing is more committal, but it's still fun to lurk once in a while.
That's not going to happen. The game was never designed with mobile in mind, and it barely works on PC.
This made me rofl. "The game barely works on PC, its intended platform. GL making it work in a phone/tablet environment"

Reactions: Zatrian and Teize

playerme

Jun 3, 2018
So glad we entertained you. It might not have been what we were trying to do, but at least we got something accomplished -- your smile.
Even though it still isn't working -- I took a day off from fighting configuration files and hacking my system -- you're right, the board can be entertaining. I will say I learned a bit about getting OTHER games running in my attempts with THIS one.

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
And I'm sure the f95 mods love us, because we got like 10 pages purged for being off topic every couple months lol
This diversion was pretty tame. Normally when this thread gets purged it's because we're all tearing each others' heads off. :p

Consider this, Android is actually a distribution of Linux. that being said, I have to wonder if an Android port would be wise.
JavaFX does technically support Android, but even aside from the myriad technical issues that already exist with the game you'd need at least a tablet in order for the game to be comfortably playable with touch. If you have a phone with a high resolution display and a stylus (like a high end Samsung) you could probably get away with it, but the UI is so desktop-centric that all of the controls would be pretty tiny.

Whether or not it would run also depends heavily on how much of Java was reimplemented in Android Runtime. I'm almost willing to bet that the Nashorn JS environment isn't supported (Android has V8, after all), so there's at least one big component that would need to be replaced.

4.10 star(s) 119 Votes