Sep 16, 2018
Some people have mentioned in this thread the idea of making their own LT style projects given that Inno can't be bothered. While I'm not interested in making a full game there might be potential for creating a framework that other people can build their own stuff from. If so what would you guys be interested in working with? I was thinking either Python for ease or a Godot project, though I'm open to suggestions. No promises but I think it'd be fun to fuck around and see what I can do.

Sep 16, 2018
I'm waiting for a proposed "LT but not shit" project that seems free of spite enough that it won't just peter out and die once the hate cools down.
That's fair, as strong as spite is it's not a great motivator for longer project like a whole game. Though I'm a bit more interested in the concept of ganking the good mechanics and bones of LT for a usable framework. Most of the content additions to LT are dialog and other writing, and the code issues arise from the unreadable Gordian knot that is Inno's code. I'm thinking it might be a fun project to fuck around for a few weeks and try to put out a usable toolkit and let whoever wants to make what they will with it. I'm just curious what you guys would prefer it be done with.

Barkhan

Feb 16, 2021
Some people have mentioned in this thread the idea of making their own LT style projects given that Inno can't be bothered. While I'm not interested in making a full game there might be potential for creating a framework that other people can build their own stuff from. If so what would you guys be interested in working with? I was thinking either Python for ease or a Godot project, though I'm open to suggestions. No promises but I think it'd be fun to fuck around and see what I can do.
IMO, for a text based game and if you're not using java, I think python would be simpler since speed wouldn't really matter and it's easier for people to master. So if your intent is to build a framework people can use, using python could attract more people. As mentioned a few comments earlier, I'm also thinking about working on my own LT style projects and python was on the top of my list since i'm the most familiar with this language. I never worked on games before so no promise, would just be a passion project and would be in my spare time (which awfully small recently). I've never really tried Godot, I vaguely heard it's for games. How easy is it to handle for someone that usually use python or java ?

Sep 16, 2018
IMO, for a text based game and if you're not using java, I think python would be simpler since speed wouldn't really matter and it's easier for people to master. So if your intent is to build a framework people can use, using python could attract more people. As mentioned a few comments earlier, I'm also thinking about working on my own LT style projects and python was on the top of my list since i'm the most familiar with this language. I never worked on games before so no promise, would just be a passion project and would be in my spare time (which awfully small recently). I've never really tried Godot, I vaguely heard it's for games. How easy is it to handle for someone that usually use python or java ?
Yeah, that makes sense, I figured Python would be more appealing and accessible. Also, my school/work has had me writing most of my code in it so it'd be faster to implement. As for Godot, I'm unsure, haven't used it much outside of small prototypes and messing around. I'm more familiar with Unity and Unreal but both of those are way overkill for just text and widgets, mostly asked on the off chance people wanted it in an actual engine.

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
I'm more familiar with Unity and Unreal but both of those are way overkill for just text and widgets, mostly asked on the off chance people wanted it in an actual engine.
If you're aiming it at that sort of audience, targeting .NET wouldn't be a bad idea. That should allow it to slot into Unity pretty much effortlessly, and I believe there are .NET connectors for Unreal as well. That would also allow it to work with the Mono version of Godot.

Cross-platform desktop support has also been improving drastically in .NET as well, which certainly helps. With the upcoming AvaloniaUI 0.11 offering WPF-style rich text spans, it would be possible to create an LT-like game that wouldn't have to lean on embedded web views.

ryanwraith

Oct 23, 2020
Inno copypasta'd CoC / Flexible Survival.
The entire scenario and mechanics ripped wholesale.
Named Characters and Art is functionally the only things Inno owns.

Renaming every proper noun and swapping game engines would likely be enough to ruin her ownership claims.
She made the sex mechanic as well, so you should give credit where credit is due.

ebonheart2319

Jul 21, 2017
She made the sex mechanic as well, so you should give credit where credit is due.
Negative on that. Its definitely a derivative of older Inform/Rags/Ect games.
She added Better UI, more expansive options, but same general functionality.

Seriously dude, you need only look into TFGames pre2017 games to find a BUNCH of games Inno cribbed ideas from.
Gluing 100 fidget spinners to a tire does not make it a brand new tire.

IvoryOwl

Mar 29, 2017
. . .
Would make for one hell of a ride though! Imagine taking a sip of hot/cold drink on car with fidget spinners for tires...
Even better, imagine a bicycle with fidgets. I would name it "The Nutcracker"!

jarmenkell

Apr 7, 2018
I am not sure that analogy makes sense, I can arguably say all creative work is derivatives of past works, after all, according to some there are only 7 types of story that exist in the world and all fiction is a derivative of at least one of those types of story.

Even if innoxia's work is derivative, I don't think it's fair to insinuate he lacks creativity, or skill.

But that aside, I haven't been following this project for a while, and just skimming some of the forums posts, there seems to be hostility towards him?

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
I am not sure that analogy makes sense, I can arguably say all creative work is derivatives of past works, after all, according to some there are only 7 types of story that exist in the world and all fiction is a derivative of at least one of those types of story.

Even if innoxia's work is derivative, I don't think it's fair to insinuate he lacks creativity, or skill.

But that aside, I haven't been following this project for a while, and just skimming some of the forums posts, there seems to be hostility towards him?
You're right, that's not the reason to insinuate that she lacks creativity or skill.

The game demonstrates lack of skill on its own. The performance is abysmal for what the game is. And basically everything needs to be reworked to continue development. Not even Inno would deny that the early systems were programmed by someone who lacked the skills and foresight needed. Which should be obvious by the fact that those systems are why everything gets delayed to death.

As for creativity, there just hasn't been much put into it in the last few years. But that's probably just burnout.

Dr.Feelgood

Sep 21, 2018
The game demonstrates lack of skill on its own. The performance is abysmal for what the game is. And basically everything needs to be reworked to continue development. Not even Inno would deny that the early systems were programmed by someone who lacked the skills and foresight needed. Which should be obvious by the fact that those systems are why everything gets delayed to death.
It takes a lot of guts to admit something like that. Considering Inno's blog's comment section was nuked rather than, say, doing the normal thing and either moderating a handful of negative/unnecessarily hateful comments, I doubt we will ever see such a thing happen. We're a lot more likely to see the game finished than we are to see the developer admit fault or start more than three consecutive posts without an apology or excuse.

Draupnir7

Sep 3, 2020
We're a lot more likely to see the game finished than we are to see the developer admit fault or start more than three consecutive posts without an apology or excuse.
We're a lot more likely to see the game optimized than we are to see Inno admit fault.

Draupnir7

Sep 3, 2020
I just stumbled upon this game today, but what happened here???
Every so often, someone either from the LT Discord or who's just encountering the game for the first time will ask why the people haunting this thread give Inno so much shit, and responses of varying intensity are given, mainly centering around how much money's been given for how much work and how we're either still on one daughter of Lilith or just finally getting more than the one city you start on and an empty world map after 7 years.

It's a whole thing.

NoStepOnSnek

Apr 29, 2018
Y'all'd be in for quite the surprise if you ever actually asked Inno to describe her own code, but do go on, this imaginary version of her is quite entertaining :ROFLMAO:

ebonheart2319

Jul 21, 2017
Y'all'd be in for quite the surprise if you ever actually asked Inno to describe her own code, but do go on, this imaginary version of her is quite entertaining :ROFLMAO:
Are you insinuating Inno is in denial of how garbage her code is?
You must have a very low opinion of her if you think 3 years of code cleanup was just for funzies.:eek:
She needs that code cleaned up so she can monetize more elaborate mods like Bethesda.

NoStepOnSnek

Apr 29, 2018
Are you insinuating Inno is in denial of how garbage her code is?
You must have a very low opinion of her if you think 3 years of code cleanup was just for funzies.:eek:
She needs that code cleaned up so she can monetize more elaborate mods like Bethesda.
Quite the contrary, I'm laughing at the takes of "Inno would never admit her code is bad".

BBGunna

Aug 27, 2018
Quite the contrary, I'm laughing at the takes of "Inno would never admit her code is bad".
Oh so she knows her work is fundamentally flawed but is either incapable or can't be bothered to fix it after so many years and dollars she's received, thanks for the clarification that's so much better!
/s

4.10 star(s) 119 Votes