e6mill

Aug 4, 2022
pretty sure the world building comes down to the writing quality..
It's easier to say "you can't do that, magic doesn't work that way" than to say the same for tech. Especially in an infinite universe with possible aliens. Fantasy doesn't have to be, but usually is, more limited in scope. If I read "an orcish war machine" I have a rough idea of what sort of thing it is and its capabilities that "an Arquellian battle cruiser" doesn't give me. It absolutely comes down to the writing in the end, but the setting helps a bunch.

Reactions: HiHaHo

HiHaHo

Jan 2, 2023
It's easier to say "you can't do that, magic doesn't work that way" than to say the same for tech. Especially in an infinite universe with possible aliens. Fantasy doesn't have to be, but usually is, more limited in scope. If I read "an orcish war machine" I have a rough idea of what sort of thing it is and its capabilities that "an Arquellian battle cruiser" doesn't give me. It absolutely comes down to the writing in the end, but the setting helps a bunch.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

yeah the setting can help build up a understanding of the SF technology might work and would be kinda required for people lloking to do so,

the "its magic" pill is indeed a lot easier to swallow and produce

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
All technology can seem like magic, but not all magic can be reduced to technology. A firearm sure looks like a wand that kills people to someone who doesn’t know better, but there’s nothing we could make to replicate a wand that spawns unicorns, or grows mountains out of the ground, etc.

Skep-tiker

Oct 11, 2023
Yes, but what I mean is that, if you limit yourself to hard sci-fi, technology will always have many limitations that magic simply does not.
Depending on the background of the magic. There are fantasy world where spells are defined by complex thesis and conditions, where limitations are quite a thing. In others, magic flows in similar ways then Rykers semen: ple ty and unrestricted.

More back to topic, so this wouldn't get deleted: i miss dima.

motseer

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2021
A good story is a good story. SiFi is alien lookin' mofo's with phasers and light sabres. Fantasy is alien lookin' mofo's with magic missiles and swords. I'll take Rogues MC every time. Jus Sayin' :cool:

Reactions: Skep-tiker
4.40 star(s) 127 Votes