HiHaHo

Jan 2, 2023
It's easier to say "you can't do that, magic doesn't work that way" than to say the same for tech. Especially in an infinite universe with possible aliens. Fantasy doesn't have to be, but usually is, more limited in scope. If I read "an orcish war machine" I have a rough idea of what sort of thing it is and its capabilities that "an Arquellian battle cruiser" doesn't give me. It absolutely comes down to the writing in the end, but the setting helps a bunch.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

yeah the setting can help build up a understanding of the SF technology might work and would be kinda required for people lloking to do so,

the "its magic" pill is indeed a lot easier to swallow and produce

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
All technology can seem like magic, but not all magic can be reduced to technology. A firearm sure looks like a wand that kills people to someone who doesn’t know better, but there’s nothing we could make to replicate a wand that spawns unicorns, or grows mountains out of the ground, etc.

Skep-tiker

Oct 11, 2023
but there’s nothing we could make to replicate a wand that spawns unicorns, or grows mountains out of the ground, etc.
But IF there was a technological device capable of doing this, it would be again indistinguishable from magic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
But IF there was a technological device capable of doing this, it would be again indistinguishable from magic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yes, but what I mean is that, if you limit yourself to hard sci-fi, technology will always have many limitations that magic simply does not.

Skep-tiker

Oct 11, 2023
Yes, but what I mean is that, if you limit yourself to hard sci-fi, technology will always have many limitations that magic simply does not.
Depending on the background of the magic. There are fantasy world where spells are defined by complex thesis and conditions, where limitations are quite a thing. In others, magic flows in similar ways then Rykers semen: ple ty and unrestricted.

More back to topic, so this wouldn't get deleted: i miss dima.

LWtbo

Feb 11, 2018
Caught the tail end of this SYFY/Story discussion and not gonna go look when it started.
But I'm not altogether sure it can be classed as on topic.
However this is.
Here’s a quick progress update for part 4

811 still images

180 Animations/loops (16,000+ animation slides)

13,300+ lines of code and text

10 events

Last edited:

LWtbo

Feb 11, 2018
Again I hope he don't mind me posting this.
The rest of what OBD said in his update to us is basically he thinking to release part of part 4.
Because RL has slowed him down and I think he thinks we won't wait for part 4 I could be wrong but anyway.
I'm personally happy to wait I am only to aware RL can get in the way.

Overview,

My hope to have a full update out by the beginning of the month did not happen. Several family events prevented me from completing the update as promised. I apologize for the delay, but things happen that are out of my control.

Since it has been so long, I’m going to release a beta update that will have 5 of the events in part 4.
That will give me time to finish polishing and debugging the other events without stressing about how long it’s taking.

I hope to have the remaining events tie into the beta release and not screw everyone’s saves. At worst, it might require you to replay the whole episode once it is completed.

Not great news, again, I apologize.

As always, thank you for your support.

Take care and stay safe,

OBD

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Caught the tail end of this and not gonna go look when it started but not sure it can be classed as on topic.
But this can.
Here’s a quick progress update for part 4

811 still images

180 Animations/loops (16,000+ animation slides)

13,300+ lines of code and text

10 events
Forgot to check in the spoiler box in the post above yours, did you? ;)

LWtbo

Feb 11, 2018
Forgot to check in the spoiler box in the post above yours, did you? ;)
No actually its one of the reasons I did post I just don't see why its a Spoiler post.
Why is it some how ruining the story for people???
However I did remove the time frame from my post as I do every time I post an update.
Time frames should never be given out in our posts what if RL bites OBD in the ass.
Better not to know a deadlines is missed than OBD feel guilty.
Or as normally happends some asshole moans about it later.

P.S. Edited because it may of been seen as having a go at the poster.
It wasn't it's just that a lot of people don't or won't read an untitled Spoiler.
The effort is predicated.
But its infomation about the game so it shouldn't really be hidden.

Last edited:

Skep-tiker

Oct 11, 2023
No actually its one of the reasons I did post I just don't see why its a fekin Spoiler post.
Why is it some how ruining the story for people???
However I did remove the time frame from my post as I do every time I post an update.
Time frames should never be given out in our posts what if RL bites OBD in the ass.
Better not to know a deadlines is missed than OBD feel guilty.
Or as normally happends some asshole moans about it later.
Courtsey. to make it somehow visible that it a citation....

Reactions: motseer

motseer

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2021
My hope to have a full update out by the beginning of the month did not happen. Several family events prevented me from completing the update as promised. I apologize for the delay, but things happen that are out of my control.
OBD
I'm replying to you but hoping Dima reads this. Dima, no worries m8. We all understand that family comes first. Whether it's a beta or we wait a bit longer for the full 10.4 release, I will be, patiently, looking forward to it.

RFFR,
mot

Last edited:

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
I'm replying to you but hoping Dima reads this. Dima, no worries m8. We all understand that family comes first. Whether it's a beta or we wait a bit longer for the full 10.4 release, I will be, patiently, looking forward to it.

F. R. R. F.,
mot
I say just wait until it's finished and release it then.

Releasing a beta comes with a whole heap of whining and moaning and idiotic posts from people who has somehow missed that it's a Beta....

4.30 star(s) 130 Votes