jinnhihho

Mar 11, 2017
It is on the starting page, even if it isn't directly visible.
Under the banner -> overview area -> spoiler -> "v1.0.7b marks the final build of of Love of Magic - Book 1: The Crown."

I think it is mentioned in the changelog (although that is a ton of text to read through).
I looked everywhere except for the spoiler at the start, my bad

Also, and believe me when I say I do not mean this in a sarcastic way at all, Book 2 is generally an indication that Book 1 has concluded.
Yes, I figured but wanted to be sure. :D

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
The problem is that "Completed" is a tag reserved for "not going to do this any more".

So I could have marked Book 1 complete, moved to a new thread, and posted book 2 there. But this is a happy place, so... I'm trying to keep it going :)

Like a lot of cases where I did something unusual in terms of distribution it's not necessarily a good idea :D

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021
I looked everywhere except for the spoiler at the start, my bad

Yes, I figured but wanted to be sure. :D
Yeah; there is a lot of text to get through on the main page, easy enough to miss.

I'm just glad you didn't take that last part as some kind of attack; too much of that goes on in these boards.
I also can't blame you at all for wanting to make sure, I wouldn't want to miss any of this story either :)

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
View attachment 1324322

I needed a new outfit for Chloe for Act VIII+, so... Kath is pressed into service as a photo model again.
My only take from this is that Kath looks good in anything.

I'd love to have the confidence to wear that red dress out though, it looks gorgeous but a bit too loose at the leg for me however for the girls in game it's perfect.

jinnhihho

Mar 11, 2017
The problem is that "Completed" is a tag reserved for "not going to do this any more".

So I could have marked Book 1 complete, moved to a new thread, and posted book 2 there. But this is a happy place, so... I'm trying to keep it going :)

Like a lot of cases where I did something unusual in terms of distribution it's not necessarily a good idea :D
Maybe you could do it like this (just a suggestion).
DOWNLOAD
Book 1 (Completed)
Win32: ...
Win64: ...
Yeah; there is a lot of text to get through on the main page, easy enough to miss.

I'm just glad you didn't take that last part as some kind of attack; too much of that goes on in these boards.
I also can't blame you at all for wanting to make sure, I wouldn't want to miss any of this story either :)
All good, lifes to short to feel attacked over something like this plus you said you mean it in a non sarcastic way :)

Toram Eldin

Jul 2, 2018
I had a question for people as well. I've heard mention of the rage+cluster build in the walkthrough and here I think, but what would be a good setup for that? I've been running around with lightning/poison/fire for the three sets. And yes, I tried searching in here but must have used the wrong phrasing or something since I couldn't find much of anything.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I had a question for people as well. I've heard mention of the rage+cluster build in the walkthrough and here I think, but what would be a good setup for that? I've been running around with lightning/poison/fire for the three sets. And yes, I tried searching in here but must have used the wrong phrasing or something since I couldn't find much of anything.
The logic is that the rage bonus is applied for each hit. So Cluster (which hits 3x per attack) does 3x rage bonus (and rage feedback). It's best combined with either Emily or some shield gems, or the backfire will get to you, but it's by far the most aggressive combo in the game.

Reactions: Toram Eldin

Toram Eldin

Jul 2, 2018
The logic is that the rage bonus is applied for each hit. So Cluster (which hits 3x per attack) does 3x rage bonus (and rage feedback). It's best combined with either Emily or some shield gems, or the backfire will get to you, but it's by far the most aggressive combo in the game.
I meant more like, how many rage gems should I use in which slots? The rest I'm sure just add the strongest cluster gems to the empty slots.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Might try a rage build, relied mainly on poison in my first run.

Poison gems with Bella and her toxic bolts with Emily shielding and Dylan healing just to keep any damage topped off if shield broke.

Always amusing to see huge health chunks vanish at the end of a round. Really useful against shields before Bella's upgrade or getting any shield break gems.

Likely not a great build for anything major though, I was mostly fumbling in the dark with no clue how to play poker or how the gems worked and that seemed to kill pretty much everything I bumped into with one or two rounds.

Biggest downside is your average enemy would be far easier to take down with damage dealing gems. Once I started getting used to how it worked, poison is only useful for long fights.

Tried using a couple of lightning gems too, they seemed really useful for heavy hitters, stopped them doing any damage for a turn or two, enough for me to knock a good chunk of their health off.

My problem is I started relying far too much on Emily and X later on. Emily's attack hits like a truck carrying nukes and combined with X and upgraded Katie made life pretty easy. It also meant my builds weren't the best so really need to learn how best to use gems and such.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I meant more like, how many rage gems should I use in which slots? The rest I'm sure just add the strongest cluster gems to the empty slots.
You want the rage in the higher gems, the clusters in the lower ones; the impact of the individual gems matter less than the rage bonus.

Reactions: Toram Eldin

Lewdorum

Jan 5, 2019
I keep trying this and still get told I don't have permission to open the file. I'm not able to understand terminal commands fully. Here is an image of what happens when I use chmod +x for love _of _magic book 1. Can you tell me what is wrong?

View attachment 1321713
I've redacted my name and username.
Reply to my own message. I can now explain the problem but not solve it. I am unable to access the Mac version of the game because the chmod command does not seem to work in the latest Apple iMac OS, MacOS Big Sur Version 11.4. I have tested this by successfully running Love of Magic on my laptop with MacOS 10.13 Mojave. There are various suggestions as to how to alter file permissions in Big Sur on the web but no consensus. If anyone has or can find a way to do this please post a comment here. If I find one I shall try to post the method here. Thanks for your attention.

P.S. It's a great game, especially for an alumnus of Edinburgh University and a native of the city!

Mar 27, 2019
Might try a rage build, relied mainly on poison in my first run.

Poison gems with Bella and her toxic bolts with Emily shielding and Dylan healing just to keep any damage topped off if shield broke.

Always amusing to see huge health chunks vanish at the end of a round. Really useful against shields before Bella's upgrade or getting any shield break gems.

Likely not a great build for anything major though, I was mostly fumbling in the dark with no clue how to play poker or how the gems worked and that seemed to kill pretty much everything I bumped into with one or two rounds.

Biggest downside is your average enemy would be far easier to take down with damage dealing gems. Once I started getting used to how it worked, poison is only useful for long fights.

Tried using a couple of lightning gems too, they seemed really useful for heavy hitters, stopped them doing any damage for a turn or two, enough for me to knock a good chunk of their health off.

My problem is I started relying far too much on Emily and X later on. Emily's attack hits like a truck carrying nukes and combined with X and upgraded Katie made life pretty easy. It also meant my builds weren't the best so really need to learn how best to use gems and such.

I'm not one for builds much myself...I run Molly, Katie, and Emily and just pound the shit outta crap....but I will say that Poison REALLY comes into it's own in the new update...especially with the addition of a certain new team member...

Reactions: Avaron1974

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
Reply to my own message. I can now explain the problem but not solve it. I am unable to access the Mac version of the game because the chmod command does not seem to work in the latest Apple iMac OS, MacOS Big Sur Version 11.4. I have tested this by successfully running Love of Magic on my laptop with MacOS 10.13 Mojave. There are various suggestions as to how to alter file permissions in Big Sur on the web but no consensus. If anyone has or can find a way to do this please post a comment here. If I find one I shall try to post the method here. Thanks for your attention.

P.S. It's a great game, especially for an alumnus of Edinburgh University and a native of the city!
Try this. No guarantees. It works on 10.15 I skipped Big Sur.
cd to the directory that contains the file love_of_magic.app

do the chmod from there using the following command
chmod -R 777 love_of_magic.app
-R tells chmod to recursively apply the change to every file or directory beneath love_of_magic.app
777 sets the file protection mask to rwx for all levels of access.

Good luck

HSHS1111

Feb 8, 2019
One big advantage of the rage build is that with Molly on the team it almost plays itself. Activating her the full joker hand guarantees at least two to three good rage buffs, during her damage debuff even, and that's enough to blast most foes into oblivion. Might have to pay attention how the board fills up so the enemy doesn't get all the edge activations but other than that you can just spam auto/spacebar.

But yes just need a form of sustain, Emily works, so does a healer or maybe even Akane with her latest upgrade.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Warscared

Jan 26, 2021
i have always used a combination of lightning and rage or shield and poison depending on the enemies!

i used to have frozen fire and lightnin but that eats too much into the training and reading books!

besides i use the strategy book or harky the great troll general and his philosophy has always been "we go in and kill them, how? who cares, somehow!" which includes such precious advices as "keep beating them down after they appear dead just to make sure!" or of course "throw rocks watch them splater!" or "they have a kill limit make sure you have more soldiers then their kill limit, but get someone with brains to count if they have more then 1 hand worth of warriors!"

greatest troll general of all times not to mention he is a master logictician he invented the "lets eat the bodies of our enemies to keep our bellies full!" approach that totally revolutionized troll warfare! he also advocated tree trunks as weapons and not just tree branches or of course the use of river stones and not just regular stones for artillery! for a troll he was a genius with almost the intelligence of a 12 year old regular human child!

Droid Productions you should create a new thread the finished tag adds a lot to a game recognition and would augment the hype for both book 1 and for every new release of book 2 updates besides on the new thread you can add the link to this thread and thus nothing would be lost!

Flecc

Donor
Sep 3, 2018
You got yourself a new patreon on next billing cycle on act 5 so far but i am loving this game Knights of the round table check references to game of thrones check good story check and good visuals check never played before but now i am spending most of my free time playing .Given i have AC Valhalla ,Withcher 3 wild hunt on my drive and i spend more time with this than i do with them them good wok

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes