evilspyder

Jun 3, 2020
Thx! It's on 30% discount right now as well (Winter Sale), so the timing is good :)

If you like it, do leave a review; those mean a lot. Because many pervs people of culture don't want their friends to know they're playing games like this, the number of reviews for an adult game tend to trail a lot behind normie games.
Will do, once I figure out how anyway. Never written a review on Steam so I'm having trouble figuring out where I need to go to do it. Or do I just not have the option until Steam registers that I've put some time into the game?

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Will do, once I figure out how anyway. Never written a review on Steam so I'm having trouble figuring out where I need to go to do it. Or do I just not have the option until Steam registers that I've put some time into the game?
It shows up in your library after a little bit, I think:
1637800807273.png

There's probably other ways, I think it should be possible from the storefront,maybe someone else has tips?

Reactions: evilspyder

evilspyder

Jun 3, 2020
It shows up in your library after a little bit, I think:
View attachment 1517509

There's probably other ways, I think it should be possible from the storefront,maybe someone else has tips?
Okay, well I just finished downloading it on Steam so I will start a new playthrough and hopefully the option appears soon. I did see the option to nominate it for the Steam Awards thing, so I went ahead and did that in the meantime. Thank you for the help. Also, if you don't mind my asking, is Book 2 going to come to Early Access at some point? Wouldn't mind going ahead and purchasing it if it does.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Okay, well I just finished downloading it on Steam so I will start a new playthrough and hopefully the option appears soon. I did see the option to nominate it for the Steam Awards thing, so I went ahead and did that in the meantime. Thank you for the help. Also, if you don't mind my asking, is Book 2 going to come to Early Access at some point? Wouldn't mind going ahead and purchasing it if it does.
I've had some bad experiences personally with EA, so I wanted to complete it first. If you enable the Beta Branch on Steam (properties/Beta/Beta, no beta access key needed), you'll see it downloads the Beta of Book 2 as an optional build.

Once I'm done I'll launch book 2, and continue doing the same for Book 3

evilspyder

Jun 3, 2020
I screwed up my game on Steam and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice. My initial playthrough of the game was done straight, without any attempts at cheating, but for my second playthrough I figured I would mess with the debug menu settings a bit. At first I gave myself 100 int so that I could up the rate of exp gain, and $3000 so I would be able to buy some decent gems to start with. I also reset the day to the start of the day a few times so I could grind out some early charisma boosts for some of the conversations with Chloe to unlock. This caused the game to always display as being daytime even when it should have shown night, and then when I got into a battle for some reason all of the cards both on the field and in the hands were aces - though the game didn't seem to be interpreting them that way.

So I went ahead and loaded up an old save from before the debug, and figured I would just play it straight again. Problem is the bugs I experienced persisted through to the old save for some reason as well. So then I started an entirely new save, but when I reached the minotaur fight the bug was still there. Finally, I completely uninstalled the game on steam and re-downloaded it, then started a fresh game again. Unfortunately, even doing that the glitches still persist.

So what I'm wondering is if there is some other data for the game somewhere, that wouldn't have uninstalled when I deleted it from steam, that I need to locate and manually delete in order to get the game files back to a clean state with my next install?

Real Kreten

Apr 10, 2020
I screwed up my game on Steam and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice. My initial playthrough of the game was done straight, without any attempts at cheating, but for my second playthrough I figured I would mess with the debug menu settings a bit. At first I gave myself 100 int so that I could up the rate of exp gain, and $3000 so I would be able to buy some decent gems to start with. I also reset the day to the start of the day a few times so I could grind out some early charisma boosts for some of the conversations with Chloe to unlock. This caused the game to always display as being daytime even when it should have shown night, and then when I got into a battle for some reason all of the cards both on the field and in the hands were aces - though the game didn't seem to be interpreting them that way.

So I went ahead and loaded up an old save from before the debug, and figured I would just play it straight again. Problem is the bugs I experienced persisted through to the old save for some reason as well. So then I started an entirely new save, but when I reached the minotaur fight the bug was still there. Finally, I completely uninstalled the game on steam and re-downloaded it, then started a fresh game again. Unfortunately, even doing that the glitches still persist.

So what I'm wondering is if there is some other data for the game somewhere, that wouldn't have uninstalled when I deleted it from steam, that I need to locate and manually delete in order to get the game files back to a clean state with my next install?
The problem is not on your side. I don't know when the Droid last changed something to Book 1, but this bug seems to have crept into the game while fixing another problem. Unfortunately, the droid is just asleep, so you have to wait until he wake up to a new day with this bug on his neck.

evilspyder

Jun 3, 2020
The problem is not on your side. I don't know when the Droid last changed something to Book 1, but this bug seems to have crept into the game while fixing another problem. Unfortunately, the droid is just asleep, so you have to wait until he wake up to a new day with this bug on his neck.
Gotcha. Thank you for the info. I've just gone back to playing from my downloaded f95 version for now, so I'm in no rush or anything.

Reactions: Real Kreten

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Thank you for that. I'm genuinely impressed by the quick response/fix.
It's a small thing. I was making some tiny updates to Book 1 (improving the art for the Day 106 sequence, and adding a small animation, as well as the 5 gemset update). Looks like the build pipeline had a hickup.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
At the command prompt you want to type just these two command strings:

xattr -rc /Users/xxx/Desktop/love_of_magic_book2

sudo chmod -R 755 /Users/xxx/Desktop/love_of_magic_book2

where "xxx" is your username.
If you're running a recent version of OSX, this is necessary for unsigned executable files

Lunasmeow

Jul 22, 2017
please, always keen to hear how to make things better.
Holding you to that!

Okay, so I am FINALLY getting into this.

Great game, love the various references I have seen thus far - Sword of Truth is great for that, among others - but I did spot an issue causing a legitimate bug.

Your scheduling system sucks.

I say that objectively, as in, it does have a great basis, but is missing one simple key function that would make it actually work WELL instead of only partially.

It is missing an if->then function.

For example, buying the swimsuit? According to your guide, is supposed to net you a date the following Wednesday. Something I realized only after checking the guide once I saw nothing ever happened.

Why did nothing happen? Because the week I bought the swimsuit, Wednesday was booked already for a plot event or other side quest of some kind. Or maybe it just already WAS Wednesday when I bought it. Could be either, or both. Point is, I had no way in-game of knowing I needed Wednesday free, I had no way of knowing I missed an event, and no way of knowing that I should buy it another week.

So, instead of the game verifying that Wednesday was actually free, seeing it wasn't and then moving the event to another "free" day that week, or to the first "free" Wednesday... I simply missed the event. Which meant I had to start all over. (Oh, also? The in-game links all point to the "old" wiki, not the updated one on Fandom.)

Why? Because the automated chapters (and the warp to day option) are saved ONCE and do NOT update if you have started a new playthrough.

See this was actually my SECOND playthrough - my first ended because of the same bug on a different event.

My time to take Katie to the Glade was fucked, because my time with Molly's becoming Chosen was somehow on the same day my first playthrough, which fucked progression in every possible way, making me have to restart.

I am now on my THIRD playthrough, in as many days, because your scheduling system has no means of ensuring that a day is actually free before making an appointment - worse, if you miss an appointment, you cannot manually initiate a reschedule of an event you somehow missed either.

This is CRUCIAL to the game, seeing as my first playthrough ended with me missing a major event and I had to start COMPLETELY over once already, now a second time, and I am already anticipating a third.

Also, there is no tutorial on the ability of the Japanese Seer chick. Sure, it sounds straightforward, but it simply says "order by suit" and what order is that? How are you ranking the suits? Do hearts come before or after clubs? Spade high? No way to know or practice until actual combat - the first time of which she is available is a boss type battle, where her ability can absolutely fuck you over if you use it not knowing how it actually works.

So to summarize:

1. Autosaves for days and Chapters need to be overwritten as you make new playthroughs, not kept as constants forever. Oh, they should also actually be DELETABLE in-game, just like any other save. No reason for us to be trying to hunt down save locations to figure out how manually remove them. That is a legitimately ridiculous problem to have.

Speaking of, where the hell IS all the data saved? I found the folder in AppData already and deleted it, but there is STILL persistent data and it can potentially screw up my start on the Steam version. Telling the debugger to delete achievements has done nothing, and now I worry my Steam version won't get them properly. This kind of "hide the save file" stuff is for AAA games that are afraid of cheaters and hackers, not indie games.

2. The calendar system NEEDS to verify that a day is free before scheduling an event. ANY event, story or otherwise. Story events can and should supplant side events - add some kind of priority system - but then there needs to be a function where the character can reschedule the side events. And two story events should NEVER be able occur on the same day.

Honestly, story events should be already programmed into the calendar, just "hidden" until you "activate" them in-game, and then the side quests can all happen on any "free" day, just automatically mapping to the first one you have available. This way you NEVER get a schedule conflict.

3. EVERY character's ability needs a quick "tutorial" moment when you get them, not just early characters. A chance to actually SEE the ability in use before you are using it in real combat. And Chloe's Joker ability should let you choose which card to discard. Far too often she discards a USEFUL card, ruining what could be a great hand otherwise. Hell, she once even discarded a Joker just to give me another Joker! And her ability to spawn a Joker to the board instead of your hand? It should be greyed out if the central card is already a Joker - just to avoid misclicks and wasting availability.

Fix those things, and you've got a real gem here. I actually just bought this on Steam even though I had it free from here - it's that good. Just needs a bit of bug testing/tweaking to the main system.

Oh and these ones aren't bugs, just QoL things:

1. We have so many different types of gems, there is no way that three sets is enough for the system. There should be at LEAST 5 or 6, but preferably 9 or more different "sets" we can have. One for each "type" at a minimum. Preferably more, so we can have full "one set" types, as well as "mixed set" types without having to rearrange our entire setup each time.

2. Monsters need variance. More stuff like Elemental strengths and weaknesses and so forth. Right now we have literally zero reason to swap between elements and status effects other than on a whim. Why use anything but Lightning when you can do a full staff of it and stop the enemy from taking a single turn? Stuff like that.

There needs to be some in-game balancing of the elements that actually incentivises playing with others. Fire Elementals should absorb fire, for example - making us swap to ice for extra damage, or just something OTHER than fire for normal damage.

3. We need to be able to swap gem sets mid battle. Not fully customize a set, no, leave that for out of battle, but there should be a button we can click to swap between presets to try different stuff. As it is now, the menu is covered when in the Elsewhere, so we cannot even change sets between battles. Leaving us shit out of luck if we need to adapt mid-trip for some reason. Which also needs fixing. The menu should never be blocked.

And that's all the issues I found (so far) in Book One, not sure how this was missed when you're already so far into Book Two but... there ya go.

Lots of things, but honestly, this is one of the best games I have found here. Hence why I gave enough of a shit to even write all this up instead of just moving onto the next game.

Excellent work, just needs some polish. All fixable stuff, you got the major stuff down, like writing, pacing, characterization, etc... the stuff that isn't easy to fix, because it's about your skill as an author. This stuff? This is simple grunt work you can pay some coder to do for ya to turn this into a damn near perfect game.

One Lore issue: We learn all about Elsewhere and Portals as we go - however Owyn never questions the most important thing of all... How did Emily show up in the alley in the very beginning with no Portal there? It seems like a question he should ask upon learning about Elsewhere and how to access it, and yet he never does.

It requires explanation in-game to stay consistent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warscared

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
For example, buying the swimsuit? According to your guide, is supposed to net you a date the following Wednesday. Something I realized only after checking the guide once I saw nothing ever happened.

Why did nothing happen? Because the week I bought the swimsuit, Wednesday was booked already for a plot event or other side quest of some kind. Or maybe it just already WAS Wednesday when I bought it. Could be either, or both. Point is, I had no way in-game of knowing I needed Wednesday free, I had no way of knowing I missed an event, and no way of knowing that I should buy it another week.
It'll trigger 'a' Wednesday after you bought it, so it's not lost forever. Having said that, lots of people had issues with that quest, so I never did anything like that again :)

In general, the only 'major' event you can miss out on are meeting Bella and the Bella/Katie strip-poker event. This was because Bella was originally optional, but as I started writing her I loved her so much I needed to bring her into the game as part of the main cast. Once you've already met her (at the lake-side party), her 'meet for the first time' even disappears from Grassmarket.

My time to take Katie to the Glade was fucked, because my time with Molly's becoming Chosen was somehow on the same day my first playthrough, which fucked progression in every possible way, making me have to restart.
Taking Katie to the Glade happens after Ceremonial Magic (Monday afternoon), making Molly Chosen happens Thursday Night, they shouldn't be able to clash, and they're not 'floating' events, the only way to trigger them is through the calendar.

1. Autosaves for days and Chapters need to be overwritten as you make new playthroughs, not kept as constants forever. Oh, they should also actually be DELETABLE in-game, just like any other save. No reason for us to be trying to hunt down save locations to figure out how manually remove them. That is a legitimately ridiculous problem to have.
They are automatically overwritten, so I'm not totally sure what you mean there. Did you expect them all to get deleted when you start a new game?

Basically the auto-saves (load from day, load from end of act) all just store the last time you passed through (in the case of the Load from Morning, the last time you woke up that day).

Speaking of, where the hell IS all the data saved? I found the folder in AppData already and deleted it, but there is STILL persistent data and it can potentially screw up my start on the Steam version. Telling the debugger to delete achievements has done nothing, and now I worry my Steam version won't get them properly. This kind of "hide the save file" stuff is for AAA games that are afraid of cheaters and hackers, not indie games.
The only save-data used is here:
PC: %USERPROFILE%/AppData/LocalLow/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
Linux: $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/unity3d/Droid Productions/Love of Magic

The achievement data is all stored in system.sav.

If you're playing on Steam, remember that Steam uses the Cloud save functionality by default, so unless you turn that off it's probably just restored them for you, thinking they were removed by accident.

1. We have so many different types of gems, there is no way that three sets is enough for the system. There should be at LEAST 5 or 6, but preferably 9 or more different "sets" we can have. One for each "type" at a minimum. Preferably more, so we can have full "one set" types, as well as "mixed set" types without having to rearrange our entire setup each time.
If you switch to the Beta branch, it's now got 5 gem-sets enabled. I'm testing the Streamer mode now; if I've gotten all the sex scenes locked I'll push that to the main-line.

One Lore issue: We learn all about Elsewhere and Portals as we go - however Owyn never questions the most important thing of all... How did Emily show up in the alley in the very beginning with no Portal there? It seems like a question he should ask upon learning about Elsewhere and how to access it, and yet he never does.

It requires explanation in-game to stay consistent.
It gets touched on later in the game, end of Act V.

Lunasmeow

Jul 22, 2017
It'll trigger 'a' Wednesday after you bought it, so it's not lost forever. Having said that, lots of people had issues with that quest, so I never did anything like that again :)
Huh, then I' not sure WHAT went wrong there... I didn't even try using the debugger until my second time through so as to avoid bugs as much as possible. Sadly, since I'm already on the Steam version, the log file is gone so, we'll just have to chalk it up as a weird bug until someone else has the issue.

Taking Katie to the Glade happens after Ceremonial Magic (Monday afternoon), making Molly Chosen happens Thursday Night, they shouldn't be able to clash, and they're not 'floating' events, the only way to trigger them is through the calendar.
Yeah, I realized that on the second playthrough when I got to do both. I have no idea HOW that clashed at all, but it did.

At first I thought it was the dialog - they originally attempt to schedule the same day but then Owyn says he has plans and sets the time for another day with Katie... but it just didn't activate. I wish I'd kept the log files instead of just moving to steam after deleting everything. Ah well.
They are automatically overwritten, so I'm not totally sure what you mean there. Did you expect them all to get deleted when you start a new game?

Basically the auto-saves (load from day, load from end of act) all just store the last time you passed through (in the case of the Load from Morning, the last time you woke up that day).
Yeah for some reason mine were not. I only knew because when I tried to load from a previous spot, the gems still had my initial playthrough's configuration instead of the ones from my second playthrough.

Honestly, I have no clue what the hell was going on with my playthrough. I haven't even tried to look into your code to see how it handles things - could it have something to do with the game being run from an external drive instead of the local one?

I doubt it, unless the coding was done REALLY weirdly, but I've seen crazier shit in my time. So often I've seen things coded where I just go "Why the hell would you do that this way?" Can't hurt to ask, I guess, even if it isn't likely to be the issue.
The only save-data used is here:
PC: %USERPROFILE%/AppData/LocalLow/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
Linux: $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/unity3d/Droid Productions/Love of Magic

The achievement data is all stored in system.sav.

If you're playing on Steam, remember that Steam uses the Cloud save functionality by default, so unless you turn that off it's probably just restored them for you, thinking they were removed by accident.
Now that is good to know. Though I wasn't on Steam yet when the achievements stayed even after deleting the app data folder. I moved over to Steam later. Hmm. I'm just having weird shit all over.

If you switch to the Beta branch, it's now got 5 gem-sets enabled. I'm testing the Streamer mode now; if I've gotten all the sex scenes locked I'll push that to the main-line.
Well that's good to know. An update is already coming with one of my proposed suggestions! Great!

It gets touched on later in the game, end of Act V.
Ah, well that'll be an interesting little tidbit I guess, when I get there.

At any rate, thanks for the response, and the great work. I am thoroughly enjoying this game and look forward to finishing it and getting book 2 once it's available.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
At any rate, thanks for the response, and the great work. I am thoroughly enjoying this game and look forward to finishing it and getting book 2 once it's available.
You'll notice that Book 2 is also available on the Beta Branch of Book 1 as I develop it. I enjoy interacting with people, so this is a way that lets me do that on Steam without being an EA game.

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes