Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Maybe optimization problem. Real racing 3 android game sized more than 5 GB.
The underlying problem is that android APKs cannot be >2GB. You have various ways of working around that, you can use expansion packs, but those only work with the AppStores. You can also side-load content, but that requires a CDN to be set up. I've gotten one for LoM, which is why Book 2 is playable at all, but when I started the game Unity didn't have support for placing video clips into Addressable asset bundles, and so they're not something I can stream. I believe they've changed that, but now I need to go through and update all the videos to push them to addressables, and rewrite the video code to load from addressables.

All for a platform that generates 90% of the bugs and <5% of the revenue.

So... not my highest priority. I'll get to it, because I've sunk so much time into keeping it running, but Android's always a genuine PITA.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I'm probably jumping to a million wrong conclusions.

The only thing I think i'm fully set on is he's going to find Bella again which is why he still has Mjolnir and that follows on from the whole "fixing past mistakes" ending video I saw.

The confusing part is the Emily he met which would usually mean alternate reality but Chloe said welcome back which should indicate time travel but Emily's reaction to him didn't fit that so that was confusing.

I assume book 2 will cost roughly the same as book 1 did?

Just checking so I can add it to my gaming fund.
Same. $14.99, launch discount is 20%, launching (hopefully, if Steam finishes approving it), 31st May.

Book 3 will then show up on the Development (latest as I build it) and Beta (stable releases for the full Act) as I build it, same as for Book 1/2.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I'm probably jumping to a million wrong conclusions.

The only thing I think i'm fully set on is he's going to find Bella again which is why he still has Mjolnir and that follows on from the whole "fixing past mistakes" ending video I saw.

The confusing part is the Emily he met which would usually mean alternate reality but Chloe said welcome back which should indicate time travel but Emily's reaction to him didn't fit that so that was confusing.

I assume book 2 will cost roughly the same as book 1 did?

Just checking so I can add it to my gaming fund.
Well only Droid knows for sure and what will happen and since I do not have played that part just one small correction and a possibility though Droid may disagree with both, even if he will say nothing to not spoiler things. :p Emily is not part of MC's mantle, she is very important to his destiny and plans Voices and Merlin had/have for him and he is likely destined to fail in those or become worse as the Outsiders without her with him. His mantle is his own though or decided to own MC however it might work in game through his father and possibly his mothers line as well, whether he would ever had met Emily or not, it would likely change his destiny though if he would not. It is telling the Voices preferred him to die if not bound to Emily through love.

What might be going on though might be somewhat similar to when he used his power to wrest Mjolnir away from Thor, he or someone else might have used his/their power to search out a reality where he can bring someone back or find something he needs or learn something the Voices or someone else like Merlin deem necessary for him to learn. Fact X is with him hints at that and that the MC himself did go through those earlier events wherever he is now, a different time, a different reality or whatever Droid planned/plans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Avoid unity games. It is the best way I think
I haven't seen a lot of 4GB renpy games neither :) It's just a big game (even split across 3 separate books), a lot of content, a lot of animations, and it needs to be squeezed into a platform that, while increasingly powerful, is still short changed on RAM and storage and as such crippled by certain hardwired limitations like the max APK size.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Well only Droid knows for sure and what will happen and since I do not have played that part just one small correction and a possibility though Droid may disagree with both, even if he will say nothing to not spoiler things. :p Emily is not part of MC's mantle, she is very important to his destiny and plans Voices and Merlin had/have for him and he is likely destined to fail in those or become worse as the Outsiders without her with him. His mantle is his own though or decided to own MC however it might work in game through his father and possibly his mothers line as well, whether he would ever had met Emily or not, it would likely change his destiny though if he would not. It is telling the Voices preferred him to die if not bound to Emily through love.

What might be going on though might be somewhat similar to when he used his power to wrest Mjolnir away from Thor, he or someone else might have used his/their power to search out a reality where he can bring someone back or find something he needs or learn something the Voices or someone else like Merlin deem necessary for him to learn. Fact X is with him hints at that and that the MC himself did go through those earlier events wherever he is now, a different time, a different reality or whatever Droid planned/plans.
It's stated, very clearly several times, that the mantle would not be his without Emily. They did not want him without an anchor.

No Emily, no mantle.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
It's stated, very clearly several times, that the mantle would not be his without Emily. They did not want him without an anchor.

No Emily, no mantle.
That is where I think you are wrong. Yes some powers like Merlin and the voices do not want him to ever grow to wield his mantle without Emily there to have her influence on him and fulfill her own destiny, whatever that may be in the end (she may well in the end have/wield her own mantle) and even strongly prefer him to die without Emily by his side and set him up to die in that case. Fact still remains his Mantle is purely his own or his destiny, with or without Emily at his side and he would grow into it if he would live long enough even without Emily by his side. He would still be the Winter King, even if he might not bring Spring in that case in the end.

Just he has been set up to die long before he can ever assume it by the Voices and Merlin if Emily not there, since they deem that the better outcome in that case, just that simple fact means he would wield his mantle anyway if he would not die in that case. :p

Allan Trumbull

Forum Fanatic
Sep 10, 2021
I haven't seen a lot of 4GB renpy games neither :) It's just a big game (even split across 3 separate books), a lot of content, a lot of animations, and it needs to be squeezed into a platform that, while increasingly powerful, is still short changed on RAM and storage and as such crippled by certain hardwired limitations like the max APK size.
Ataegina was going to become 4gb + android apk. But developer splitterd it. It is working well. But there is not even a single animation.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Ataegina was going to become 4gb + android apk. But developer splitterd it. It is working well. But there is not even a single animation.
Yeah, I've already split book 1 and book 2 (Book 1 is ~1.9GB, Book 2 is ~3GB, with 1.7GB of that in expansion files downloaded from a server via CDN). I can't easily split something like book 2 into Book 2a and 2b, because while some content is linear (unlocks from day 121, or whatever) other content is accessible across the whole of book 2 (all the sandbox content), so I'd not win there.

Not to mention android is a bitch about sharing saves between apps, so now you're having to deal with uploading to a server, having a user profile, recovering saves and missing profiles, etc.

Reactions: Allan Trumbull

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
That is where I think you are wrong. Yes some powers like Merlin and the voices do not want him to ever grow to wield his mantle without Emily there to have her influence on him and fulfill her own destiny, whatever that may be in the end (she may well in the end have/wield her own mantle) and even strongly prefer him to die without Emily by his side and set him up to die in that case. Fact still remains his Mantle is purely his own or his destiny, with or without Emily at his side and he would grow into it if he would live long enough even without Emily by his side. He would still be the Winter King, even if he might not bring Spring in that case in the end.

Just he has been set up to die long before he can ever assume it by the Voices and Merlin if Emily not there, since they deem that the better outcome in that case, just that simple fact means he would wield his mantle anyway if he would not die in that case. :p
He needs Emily to pull X from the stone, he couldn't do it on his own.

He didn't complete his mantle until he married her.

It's not a case of being wrong, it's the damn story. No Emily, no god MC.

Reactions: Real Kreten

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
He needs Emily to pull X from the stone, he couldn't do it on his own.

He didn't complete his mantle until he married her.

It's not a case of being wrong, it's the damn story. No Emily, no god MC.
Who says he needs X for his mantle, it is his by birthright and he would grow into it anyway, just he has been set up in game to die if he gets no access to X at that moment and it might have well taken him way longer to grow into the power he wields now already without having X as a focus for his power and the power saved up in the Lake to help him. The power/mantle of Winter King is his though or chose him for a reason and in the end not based on any artifact or lake created by Merlin, they are just crutches in the end. Edit: Just as Thor still has the mantle of God of Thunder and War without Mjolnir.

I am also pretty sure MC is not even close to using his true and/or full mantle/potential at this moment in time. He is still a broken mongrel (as Akane's pet likes to remind him) and Emily, his chosen, the Lake and X are just stop gaps for that in the end and he will have to grow quite a bit still before being able to wear the full mantle of the Winter King or his father's (as I suspect might be his happy end if will be able to change those two mantles) later if that is his future destiny with Emily by his side, nor is he likely without those crutches the strongest around yet and possibly not even with yet. I would not be surprised if both the Horned God and Odin or other firstborn could destroy him at this time if they wanted to, just they need what he could become.

It is true that in this reality at least (that the game mainly or solely plays in) the MC should never live beyond that moment without Emily and X as setup by the Voices and Merlin (though we do not know or will likely ever know if he would have lived anyway despite that setup and somehow would have survived through his own power or actions of his Mantle wanting to keep him alive and there if he had chosen against the path Merlin and the Voices had chosen for him) and would never assume his mantle since he would have almost certainly died. So yes, he needs Emily by his side as far as we have been told in game to live long enough to ever be able to grow into his power if the plans of the Voices and Merlin works (fact they needed a safety or two though shows they are not infallible in themselves or were sure how it would turn out, like the bomb thingy with the lake if he somehow survived anyway :p). It is still his power and mantle though and destiny, just as Emily has her own destiny and fate which might well be very different if MC was not by her side.

That may not be true for all possible realities though and who knows possibly MC is at end of Act 2 visiting a reality where the Goddess never left for example and MC would not have needed Emily since he is not a mongrel, just bring someone back that the Dev let slip in past he liked a lot :p) or gets to see what happens in a reality of a Winter King emerging and taking up his mantle without Emily by his side or he gets an option in that reality to mend his lack or learns something else important or all or none of the above, only Droid knows what he intended with that until he reveals it.

One last edit to this: It is not like Emily to MC is a burden or he is unhappy she is where she is or that their destinies got linked. :p He is extremely happy with that fact and would not change that for the world, even if he could.

Last edited:

Warscared

Jan 26, 2021
Who says he needs X for his mantle, it is his by birthright and he would grow into it anyway, just he has been set up in game to die if he gets no access to X at that moment and it might have well taken him way longer to grow into the power he wields now already without having X as a focus for his power and the power saved up in the Lake to help him. The power/mantle of Winter King is his though or chose him for a reason and in the end not based on any artifact or lake created by Merlin, they are just crutches in the end.

I am also pretty sure MC is not even close to using his true and/or full mantle/potential at this moment in time. He is still a broken mongrel (as Akane's pet likes to remind him) and Emily, his chosen, the Lake and X are just stop gaps for that in the end and he will have to grow quite a bit still before being able to wear the full mantle of the Winter King or his father's (as I suspect might be his happy end if will be able to change those two mantles) later if that is his future destiny with Emily by his side, nor is he likely without those crutches the strongest around yet and possibly not even with yet. I would not be surprised if both the Horned God and Odin or other firstborn could destroy him at this time if they wanted to, just they need what he could become.

It is true that in this reality at least (that the game mainly or solely plays in) the MC should never live beyond that moment without Emily and X as setup by the Voices and Merlin (though we do not know or will likely ever know if he would have lived anyway despite that setup and somehow would have survived through his own power or actions of his Mantle wanting to keep him alive and there if he had chosen against the path Merlin and the Voices had chosen for him) and would never assume his mantle since he would have almost certainly died. So yes, he needs Emily by his side as far as we have been told in game to live long enough to ever be able to grow into his power if the plans of the Voices and Merlin works (fact they needed a safety or two though shows they are not infallible in themselves or were sure how it would turn out, like the bomb thingy with the lake if he somehow survived anyway :p). It is still his power and mantle though and destiny, just as Emily has her own destiny and fate which might well be very different if MC was not by her side.

That may not be true for all possible realities though and who knows possibly MC is at end of Act 2 visiting a reality where the Goddess never left for example and MC would not have needed Emily since he is not a mongrel, just bring someone back that the Dev let slip in past he liked a lot :p) or gets to see what happens in a reality of a Winter King emerging and taking up his mantle without Emily by his side or he gets an option in that reality to mend his lack or learns something else important or all or none of the above, only Droid knows what he intended with that until he reveals it.
yes except that without emily and the college he would have never had needed to be saved!

he is an American so once the issues start showing up he would have fallowed his gran pappy example and joined the army participating in a counter attack on mexico city like a last ditch effort and when he was about to die his sorcery side would help him establish the connection to his mantle and to the power in the lake and he would have vaporized all of central america the southern united states and probably even northern Colombia closing the gate at the expense of his own life!

as broker clearly stated without proper training he risks wiping out all of western Europe ... notice that he did not say he could not access all of his powers only that he could not control it or survive it!

that would truly separate both Americas into 2 continents and probably close the portal!

That is if his Mother, the Blessed of the voices would have allowed him to die anyway and would not have distorted reality to open a path up to keep him safe. :p Her unconscious power is frightening and yeah being loved by her and close to her and making her happy to have you around and alive and happy might be best way to survive what is coming as Avaron said before. :p
if that was the case her power should have stomped his free will and prevented him from departing to Scotland! so we can assume even with all her power she can not go against the majority of the voices and at that moment all of his being spark soul and body would be needed to call up and transfer all of his power and therefore not even his mother could have done anything against the will of all of the voices!

her power is to tame the voices to her will, but when Adrenalin rises or what must be done must be accomplished even the voices will ignore her, no matter how hard she prays!

Last edited:

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
yes except that without emily and the college he would have never had needed to be saved!

he is an American so once the issues start showing up he would have fallowed his gran pappy example and joined the army participating in a counter attack on mexico city like a last ditch effort and when he was about to die his sorcery side would help him establish the connection to his mantle and to the power in the lake and he would have vaporized all of central america the southern united states and probably even northern Colombia closing the gate at the expense of his own life!

as broker clearly stated without proper training he risks wiping out all of western Europe ... notice that he did not say he could not access all of his powers only that he could not control it or survive it!

that would truly separate both Americas into 2 continents and probably close the portal!
That is if his Mother, the Blessed of the voices would have allowed him to die anyway and would not have distorted reality to open a path up to keep him safe or bring him back anyway even if normally impossible. :p Her unconscious power is frightening (nor do we know if it has any limits in the end) and yeah being loved by her and close to her and making her happy to have you around and alive and happy might be best way to survive what is coming as Avaron said before. :p

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018

if that was the case her power should have stomped his free will and prevented him from departing to Scotland! so we can assume even with all her power she can not go against the majority of the voices and at that moment all of his being spark soul and body would be needed to call up and transfer all of his power and therefore not even his mother could have done anything against the will of all of the voices!

her power is to tame the voices to her will, but when Adrenalin rises or what must be done must be accomplished even the voices will ignore her, no matter how hard she prays!
Interesting and we also know that the Horned God said he was able to resist her pull, though with considerable effort and he is the oldest of all Gods and dealt with the Goddess as at least part of the time her consort. :p So he is likely a bit in a class of his own in that respect. On the whole though it seems the Voices work more subtly as making a big change and their work is more like weaving to make a path most likely to be followed where they more take into account the Blessed's unconscious wishes or needs more then her direct needs and she does not seem overly cuddlesome if loving of her son. :p

So with the example that you gave, yeah the Voices may well have foreseen a path where MC would have died if stayed in US and so wove a path/option where MC would be far away when invasion happened and got partially trained and also made sure his mother had a reason to visit him when invasion hit so she would be save as well. or as save as possible in a world engulfed in war The Voices remind me a bit of the Norns sometimes, though no idea if Droid intended that.

Last edited:

spacefood

Nov 9, 2018
Hmm... sounds like the builds are doing something weird. You definitely want 1.2.1, it's the remastered version with new animations

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Hmm... sounds like the builds are doing something weird. You definitely want 1.2.1, it's the remastered version with new animations

First of all, I am enjoying Love of Magic even though I am not very far (Act III), so TY.

FYI and others with this issue, I downloaded the win 64 1.2.1 ver from mega and it says 1.1.12 on the title screen and is missing the MC and Emily. Out of curiosity I tried the 1.2.1 apk from mega and it is also missing Emily and MC and reads 1.1.12 on the title screen. Not sure if its a glitch or the build but I did not see a 1.1.12 build in your change log. Hope this helps.

Also, if I have the win 64 1.1.9b ver and I get 1.2.1 should I just move my saves? Will I be missing out on content or just bug fixes?

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
For anyone with a steam key to book 2 (patreons mostly), the first day of book 3 is just up on the development branch today. Exciting to start a fresh, with a new sandbox to populate.
Is that a separate key to the one from the game which has book2 in it? I've just finished book 2 now, and you are a MONSTER *sniffs*

• Red Heart

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Is that a separate key to the one from the game which has book2 in it? I've just finished book 2 now, and you are a MONSTER *sniffs*
Yeah, Book 3 will be hosted on the development branch of Book 2, in the same way as Book 2's development was hosted on the beta/development branch of Book 1. That way anyone who buys it from Steam can keep playing. Right now the only Book 2 keys in the wild are testing version and patreon keys; that'll change once Book 2 gets its formal release, hopefully 31st May.

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
Yeah, Book 3 will be hosted on the development branch of Book 2, in the same way as Book 2's development was hosted on the beta/development branch of Book 1. That way anyone who buys it from Steam can keep playing. Right now the only Book 2 keys in the wild are testing version and patreon keys; that'll change once Book 2 gets its formal release, hopefully 31st May.
Ah ok gotcha :)
So I assume there's no way to buy the game on steam yet as it's not released yet correct?
If so, I'll just wait, and you're STILL A MONSTER! My blackheart is going to bleed and hurt for weeks now!!! :D

• Red Heart
4.60 star(s) 258 Votes