Loady

Dec 28, 2018
I just bought books 1 and 2 on steam. I already played book 1 twice from the download here, but seeing book 2 finished right as I wrapped up book 1 (and knowing the dev is active and doing things right), I wanted to give some support.

I did notice an oddity: in both of my book 1 play throughs, I missed the "man of culture" achievement even though I'm confident I got all the books (6 from the bookshop initially plus the art of war and threads of war later). I have nothing else I can read at the coffee shop and I've finished the black rose and threads of love quest lines. Seems like an oddly consistent bug since it happened on both playthroughs.

I've just started a run on the Steam version, so I'll see if it's an issue there too. Or maybe I'm missing something obvious and didn't see it in the Wiki.

In any case, I'm looking forward to a third run of book 1 (probably with liberal use of the stat boost) and then trying out book 2 and the start of book 3.

Thanks for sharing!

Loady

Dec 28, 2018
Double-post, but I wanted to make sure it didn't get missed in an edit...

It seems like all the (book 1; I haven't played book 2 yet) counting achievements are popping up one earlier in steam than in game. Defiler kills, sidekick elsewhere trips, bartender, kills without sidekick skills, all popped up one iteration later. Makes me think there's an off-by-one error on the in-game achievement unlock.

If so, it makes sense that it would prevent "man of culture" from ever unlocking in-game, since you can't go one iteration higher. I'm guessing the "monogamous" achievement has the same problem, but I never tried for that in my previous runs. I'm doing it now in the steam run so I'll let you know if you want.

Maybe you already know this, but I didn't see anything about it in the thread or wiki so hopefully it helps.

/edit: "monogamous" triggered in steam on an event not mentioned in the wiki
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
so it seems there is at least one extra event so it can presumably be unlocked in the game later. Still seems to support the off-by-one theory.

/edit 2: got the the final event in the wiki to unlock it
and it still didn't unlock monogamous in game. So either the wiki's wrong about the event counting toward monogamous or the in-game unlock doesn't work even with an extra event.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
It seems like all the (book 1; I haven't played book 2 yet) counting achievements are popping up one earlier in steam than in game. Defiler kills, sidekick elsewhere trips, bartender, kills without sidekick skills, all popped up one iteration later. Makes me think there's an off-by-one error on the in-game achievement unlock.
Interesting point, I'll see what's going on.

Æthil

Apr 30, 2017
Since I've started Act XI, I get this popup whenever I load or quick load a save. Choosing "No" let me proceed normally so it's not game breaking (at least I haven't noticed anything wrong yet). It's just a tad annoying. I'm guessing it's a remnant of the Book 1 beta branch? Currently playing on the Steam Dev Branch. Start Act XI.jpg

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
The joy I feel at getting at least 2 of my predictions right.

Although I dfo wish i'd been wrong about one of them.

Aaaand, the one thing I was hoping i'd get wrong,

chicho1958

Engaged Member
Donor
Apr 28, 2020
Book 2 has a development section to follow what happens in Book 3. It was the same when Book 2 was in development, we could follow it through Book 1's development.

This is on Steam.
Guess no surprises for book 3 then, even thou I figured one thing out.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
It's the same as always, I roll out stuff on the development branch as I go. Book 2 was developed in exactly the same way.

And, no, don't click anything that says book 3 spoiler if you haven't played it. Just don't.

Reactions: Real Kreten

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Those only got mentioned because it was stuff i'd talked about in book 2.

Aside from those I won't be bringing anything to do with Book 3 until they start appearing here, which is why I haven't mentioned any plot.

Those 3 I mentioned happened really early so aren't part of any plot twist or big reveal.

Until Book 3 starts here I won't mention anything else.

Selesteen

Sep 27, 2019
hmmm.... I stopped receiving updates on this thread. In hindsight kinda glad it happened, didn't want the end of Book 2 spoiled. That or even the thread is sad about the end and not sending notifications, so we can mourn that what we lost in silence.

WARNING, in case the spoiler tags are not clear, play the first two books, then open them.

As always Droid Productions keep doing you, for this is easily one of the better stories I have come across ever. I am to impatiently waiting to see where you will take us next. So far the writing is good, consistent and above all not predictable. And I haven't enjoyed a story this much since the web novel 'Parahumans - Worm'. With very update you make, I feel more inclined to break the promise that that I made to myself, not to buy games that are in active development.

I don't think I can do a review thou, everything about the game has already been said and you can't review an story without spoiling it. And that would be an crime against anyone that hasn't come across it yet. I also don't think it would be a good review, I would just be adding more noise and that would not be helpful to anyone.
I just stick to speculation and so now and then trow some random thoughts out there, I guess it is to this game I lost my lurker pass. Not a bad trade I would say.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
hmmm.... I stopped receiving updates on this thread. In hindsight kinda glad it happened, didn't want the end of Book 2 spoiled. That or even the thread is sad about the end and not sending notifications, so we can mourn that what we lost in silence.

WARNING, in case the spoiler tags are not clear, play the first two books, then open them.

As always Droid Productions keep doing you, for this is easily one of the better stories I have come across ever. I am to impatiently waiting to see where you will take us next. So far the writing is good, consistent and above all not predictable. And I haven't enjoyed a story this much since the web novel 'Parahumans - Worm'. With very update you make, I feel more inclined to break the promise that that I made to myself, not to buy games that are in active development.

I don't think I can do a review thou, everything about the game has already been said and you can't review an story without spoiling it. And that would be an crime against anyone that hasn't come across it yet. I also don't think it would be a good review, I would just be adding more noise and that would not be helpful to anyone.
I just stick to speculation and so now and then trow some random thoughts out there, I guess it is to this game I lost my lurker pass. Not a bad trade I would say.
All I will say is for some of us we've already started book 3.

I already said I won't spoil what exactly happens but I will say you are far more wrong on those than right.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017

There's actually two KD events with her; I would say the tea house one is more dramatic and tells more lore, if you've missed it :)

Warscared

Jan 26, 2021
not played the end of book 2 yet! rl as been crazy and probably only gonna have 1 or 2 weekends a month!... guess real life is back to normal slaving away at a beach resort trying to make old fat people happy while nailing their daughters or granddaughters!

going to buy the game on steam and then go for a new clean save from there anyway!

finally i discovered what was wrong with my steam account! it was still set to Paris when i lived with my girlfriend(s) (yes its complicated, life is!)... so no updating my current location meant the payment options i had were all based on credit cards... been 10 years...

guus

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I loved that song. I've been a patron of hers for a year or so, then I reached out to ask her if it was okay to use the song in the game. Super happy that she gave her blessings, and with how it turned out.
I only truelly noticed it on my second playthrough
but I have listened to it about 10 times now, and it really sticks with the game. Well done!

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes