Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
What does buying Book 2 on steam get you that owning Book 1 doesn't?
Collectibles, steam achievements and Book 3 as it gets developed (I'm up to day 204 atm).

If I was better at monetization I would probably have just removed book 2 from Book 1's beta branch, but I know some people bought book 1 because Book 2 was there, and it feels evil to remove it.

Mostly you get to support the game :) I mean, it's not as if you don't know where to grab it for free.

ttba1878

May 3, 2020
Played through book 2. I really enjoyed it. Had a gut feeling with all of the transitioning that Katie wasn't going to make it to the end. I'm not sure I understood how the final scene linked into the rest of the story. Felt like there was as issue with Emily that had not been raised until now. Or are we to think this is some sort of parallel reality? All in all great book 2. I'm glad I waited until the book was finished before playing it. I look forward to seeing all the strands of the story come together to conclusion in book 3.

johnfoxx

Jul 27, 2019
Can't play the game it says it fails to initialize player when i click the game icon, what's wrong with this?

Habequiddum

Mar 13, 2018
Collectibles, steam achievements and Book 3 as it gets developed (I'm up to day 204 atm).

If I was better at monetization I would probably have just removed book 2 from Book 1's beta branch, but I know some people bought book 1 because Book 2 was there, and it feels evil to remove it.

Mostly you get to support the game :) I mean, it's not as if you don't know where to grab it for free.
So there is more content - up to around day 204? - if I buy book 2? More than happy to support you which is why I also bought Paradise Lust. I just didn't want to buy something I already owned and didn't understand each book was going to be its own purchase.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Warscared

Jan 26, 2021
The wiki "minimum path" is entirely arbitrary, and you can finish the game with all content through any configuration. You've got enough time... if that means you start with the Onsen, do the Onsen events (and other side content) first, while waiting for Akane to build the next room.

I tried to make a very accommodating world, where there wasn't a "must do" path through it (which of course leads people following the wiki to complain there are no new non-path, non-book events at the end). Had to please everyone :)
actually i still feel cheated out in book2! book one we had 115 days on book 2 we only had 80 days! hardly enough to get everything we need!

you gotta pick beteween draco and reading all the books for instance!
I would expect the players to choke me if MC starts boning guys. Emily... will need to come to terms with what MC gets up to; there's no negative long term reactions for having sex with any of the girls.
yet?
Act XII is in development; you can check it out on Book 2's Development Branch.

Once that's completed, I'll move it on to Book 2's Beta branch, and do another public build.

So far I'm done with day 204, so another 10 days worth of content. It's a rather dense act, with lots of stuff happening.
some people explained it to me and yet i can not get in it!

by the way the development branch on steam right?
i would have hearten all your comments but have been out for a while and runned out while replying in my favorite bar!
Warscared You have to start game from steam application, not from quick menu.
I hope, that this figure can help you. Ignore language and go from step 1. to step 3.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Ďakujem

Last edited:
Reactions: Real Kreten

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Can't play the game it says it fails to initialize player when i click the game icon, what's wrong with this?
Are you on PC? What's your system specs?

Could you get me a screenshot of the error, so I'm sure I'm getting the verbatim error right (otherwise Google isn't my friend).

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
So there is more content - up to around day 204? - if I buy book 2? More than happy to support you which is why I also bought Paradise Lust. I just didn't want to buy something I already owned and didn't understand each book was going to be its own purchase.
Yeah, each book (once they're done) will be a standalone app. I'm using the development (while making it) and beta (once each act is done) to help share the game as I make it.

Book 2's Development Branch has content up to day 204 atm; note that this is NOT a complete act, the sandbox is still getting cleaned out and fixed, and content for Act XII will end around 214 or so. Once I'm done with Act XII, it'll move to the Beta branch.

Reactions: Warscared

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
It's a windows 10 64-bit 4GB but i tried in another with 8GB and it had the same problem.
Google seems to think it might be related to DX11 not being installed, or not working/

You can try to run it with OpenGL to see if that works,

from the command line:

"Love of Magic.exe" -force-glcore

Aug 5, 2017
Actually, all the places (barring the Crowley and the Starcucks) are real.

is a real Nepalese restaurant, in Edinburgh's west end (where I took my wife for our first date)
That's actually really nice! I need to try nepalese one of these days, not represented much around where I live. Probably could find one if I went digging enough.

Super minor issue - Book 2 development version on steam for linux - steam can't launch book 3. It's expecting the binary to be in "steamapps/common/Love of Magic Book 2 The War/book3/love_of_magic_book3.x86_64" but there's no book3 directory, it's directly in "Love of Magic Book 2 The War/love_of_magic_book3.x86_64"

Book3 plays fine launching the game directly from the folder so it's just an issue with however steam picks the executable to launch. Book2 starts fine from steam.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
That's actually really nice! I need to try nepalese one of these days, not represented much around where I live. Probably could find one if I went digging enough.

Super minor issue - Book 2 development version on steam for linux - steam can't launch book 3. It's expecting the binary to be in "steamapps/common/Love of Magic Book 2 The War/book3/love_of_magic_book3.x86_64" but there's no book3 directory, it's directly in "Love of Magic Book 2 The War/love_of_magic_book3.x86_64"

Book3 plays fine launching the game directly from the folder so it's just an issue with however steam picks the executable to launch. Book2 starts fine from steam.
Ah, thanks for the heads up;looks like a misconfigured launch option. I'll go check it out.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Updated the Steam launcher... can you see if it works now?

Reactions: HelpfulSunglasses

johnfoxx

Jul 27, 2019
Google seems to think it might be related to DX11 not being installed, or not working/

You can try to run it with OpenGL to see if that works,

from the command line:

"Love of Magic.exe" -force-glcore
Directx is working and when i tried to open the way you said it gave the same error, does this need to be placed in a specific folder or something?

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Directx is working and when i tried to open the way you said it gave the same error, does this need to be placed in a specific folder or something?
Shouldn't be, the Player initialization happens really early.

Could you do a ?

Apart from that, I *have* seen funny behavior in really weird paths (c:/[p#rn$/Hide/This/Folder) or similar, so it's worth checking if it runs in c:\temp. But that should normally lead to the addressables struggling to load, not a player failure.

johnfoxx

Jul 27, 2019
Shouldn't be, the Player initialization happens really early.

Could you do a ?

Apart from that, I *have* seen funny behavior in really weird paths (c:/[p#rn$/Hide/This/Folder) or similar, so it's worth checking if it runs in c:\temp. But that should normally lead to the addressables struggling to load, not a player failure.
Already did, everything is working acording to it and in the other computer I runned it from a pen so it shouldn't be from the paths.

johnfoxx

Jul 27, 2019
your link on your desktop is too long! reduce it to less then 24 caracthers!

that is my suspicion! so right click on the link and try and reduce the lenght of the name of a few files!

that is what i suspect!
Tried that, didn't change anything.

Aug 5, 2017
Updated the Steam launcher... can you see if it works now?
No, but steam doesn't think there's an update either so it may just be on their end. Development branch, not beta, right? If it's still a problem when the next real update drops I'll check back in with you, but it's not worth spending much time on. Playing book2 works fine, so all three of us who play on linux can figure out how to access book3 until it gets sorted. :)

E: switched branches and back forcing a redownload, it's the same so I don't think whatever you changed actually "took" with steam.

Serious suggestion - after you release book 3 do an epilogue for people who buy book3. It doesn't have to be much but it may prod people into paying for it even if they've already played all the content using your incredibly generous development policy. I'm buying it when it comes out either way but might get you more sales that you definitely deserve.
Tiny oversight on book3, if you take a shower in the Crowley, you'll end up sleeping in your bed in Camelot, in the conjugal bed that is, not at the inn :)
There's a lot of that because he's based book3 on the book2 sandbox, so characters are in their book2 places until he goes and cleans them out. You can see exactly which places he's worked on so far, like KD, Starcucks & a few university screens. It's early development so as book3 progresses along they're going to get cleaned up naturally as the story touches each area.

Only thing I'd point out, because DP already worked on it, is that the kings dragon upgrades are still there if you completed them in book2, alongside the new bedroom for book3. The icons on the main KD screen to get to the teahouse, onsen and dojo

E: I think this is fixed already?

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 258 Votes