osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
@Droid_Productions

Love the quality of work you've put in here. Well done.
One small request: If you update the versions behind the e.g. Mega links, pls don't forget to also update the post title and version/change log. I didn't realise there was a new bugfix release uploaded until i read through the whole thread.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
@Droid_Productions

Love the quality of work you've put in here. Well done.
One small request: If you update the versions behind the e.g. Mega links, pls don't forget to also update the post title and version/change log. I didn't realise there was a new bugfix release uploaded until i read through the whole thread.
Thanks!

That was the intention, but I crashed to sleep before I could get around to it (uploads were taking forever). I'm putting together 0.1.18 now; if that works properly, I'll roll it out to all the PC SKUs at least.

Reactions: lurk34 and QV

Killer1308

Jul 25, 2017
I am at the second ceremonial Magic lecture and at the end of dialogue I am stuck with nothing but the teacher and the inability to click anything. (After the +1Int)
Edit: Just found out about version .17 you posted somewhere earlier and somehow missed!

Last edited:

Phoeniix

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah.... another thing about RenPy is that when a dev lags releasing the Mac version, more than half the time I can get away with Opening the package of the current Mac version and pasting the new PC game folder in place of the Mac game folder and it works without issues... or even better, if I can paste in the Linux version.... not sure how or if I could do the same type of fix with a Unity project. ... so I wallow with the cockroaches (bugs) in version .15.... Have made you feel guilty yet??? lol
just kidding! Buuuut I can't find any "Droid Productions" folder in the mac version, even using a search of the whole SSD. The Kernel panic seems to be more of a MacOS update issue, most likely triggered by the game swallowing up a lot of resources when it hung.

Anyways, the game concept is very entertaining and fresh after all the "MILF mom/halfsister incest games that have been coming out lately. Kind of reminds me in some ways of the VN "Reluctant Archeon" that I really like.

Best of luck! Unity is a solid game engine, so I know you will get it worked out!(y):cool:

Aug 17, 2019
Never expected the premier school of magic to be in the heart of Scotland.
In all seriousness though, this game looks interesting enough for me to want to give it a try, although it's always a mixed bag with unity projects.
I realise that Renpy is way too restrictive for games like this, but in my experience Unity ones tend to be glitchy as hell or run like shit in comparison. It's a shame there's no VN engine that's more easily modifiable to serve as a middle ground.

Phoeniix

Oct 24, 2017
Yes. Sumimasen!

I'm testing the fixes for 0.1.18. If it works out, I'll push it live across all platforms.
Thank you :p.... and don't forget to get some sleep........:coffee: doesn't cure everything after all
Not even Sumatra strait up black!
BTW, will the different coffee choices have an influence later in the game, for what stats are recieved from reading?

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Thank you :p.... and don't forget to get some sleep........:coffee: doesn't cure everything after all
BTW, will the different coffee choices have an influence later in the game, for what stats are recieved from reading?
I doubt it, the MC kind of asked that as a joke, and since she is a normie there is no way for that. I think it is just an elaborate coffee snob joke.

Memorin

Sep 6, 2017
If you see that happening again, could you get me a screenshot? That seems wrong
Someone already mentioned this earlier, but apparently you're not supposed place them in the corners as the only pair. If this is not how you intended to design the game, I very much look forward to it being fixed lol.

EDIT: I attached an example for the poker game where the matches don't work. In the screenshot, trying to put 3 and 4 in the top and right blanks won't work.

You're not supposed to get that in the evening; I think some kind of progression funnel broke. I'll see what's happening. It should be:
1. Go to Katie, learn about Elsewhere
2. Go to Chloe, learn about the portal
3. Next time you meet Dylan at the university in the morning, he starts the Enter Elsewhere cycle

Something appears to have broken that... will see if I cna repro
I guess I should clarify further on this. I go to Chloe first to learn about the portal. Then I went to Katie to do the Strip MMA, but I noticed there was an extra choice. I clicked it, and out of nowhere Dylan appeared and started a dialogue with me about Elsewhere. This is the recruitment scene. Then, the scene automatically moves on to Katie recruitment scene, which takes place at the university. Finally, at the Elsewhere portal where both Dylan and I have changed, clicking on either of us doesn't prompt a response IF I had tried to trigger the quest during the evening. If it's the morning, I can progress just fine. So yeah, it is very weird.

One last thing about the poker game. On the last turn when the board is fully filled with cards, sometimes every pair triggers and deals massive amount of damage, and sometimes only 1 or 2 matches trigger. I didn't think much about it at the beginning, but could this be a bug as well? Just confirming.

Last edited:

Kyril87

Mar 29, 2018
An interesting and attractive game, but the bugs are killing it for me. I'll drop back in a couple of months.
Incidentally, Killer1308, after numerous starts and corrupted saves, that's as far as I got, too.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Someone already mentioned this earlier, but apparently you're not supposed place them in the corners as the only pair. If this is not how you intended to design the game, I very much look forward to it being fixed lol.

EDIT: I attached an example for the poker game where the matches don't work. In the screenshot, trying to put 3 and 4 in the top and right blanks won't work.
Ah, yes. As designed (you have to make each match symmetrical). I'll see if there's a better way to explain it

I guess I should clarify further on this. I go to Chloe first to learn about the portal. Then I went to Katie to do the Strip MMA, but I noticed there was an extra choice. I clicked it, and out of nowhere Dylan appeared and started a dialogue with me about Elsewhere. This is the recruitment scene. Then, the scene automatically moves on to Katie recruitment scene, which takes place at the university. Finally, at the Elsewhere portal where both Dylan and I have changed, clicking on either of us doesn't prompt a response IF I had tried to trigger the quest during the evening. If it's the morning, I can progress just fine. So yeah, it is very weird.
Okay; sounds like the bug is Katie being able to trigger that event before you've talked to Dylan. I'll see how to put a gate on that.

One last thing about the poker game. On the last turn when the board is fully filled with cards, sometimes every pair triggers and deals massive amount of damage, and sometimes only 1 or 2 matches trigger. I didn't think much about it at the beginning, but could this be a bug as well? Just confirming.
No, that's as designed. If the row is fully occupied, and it has a match, it triggers as a sympathetic reaction. It's the tradeoff between going first (and having first dibs at the matches) and going 2nd (where you get to put down the last match). It's one of the reasons it sometimes makes sense to discard, even if you *could* get a match, since it allows you to trigger the final matches.

As I get around to adding in the Sorcerer companions, they'll also have meta-magic spells, where they can influence your board (for example, sort by suit, sort by value, replace center with Joker, etc).

Reactions: lurk34

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
The coffee is actually an in-joke towards where Chloe (in her previous role) ran the world's most hard-assed coffee-shop. Drinking her coffees would improve your stats, until you were finally able to overcome her master-work, the extremely evil Chilli Coffee.

Since this is a world of magic, I was amused by the idea that coffee types here are just good coffee; we don't buy our beans from Neverland, as Jenny says.

Various books will have different impact; with one exception, all of them will raise some stats each time they're read, and give a stat bonus at the end. The text snippets / quotes from the books relate to both ingame and character events; I love putting in foreshadowing.

There's one special book that only opens up a forward path; you can buy it and read it now, but you won't find your Perfect Black Rose until Act 2.

Finally, you can chose to not read a book, and chat with the other people in the coffee shop. It grants a CHR bonus along a sliding scale, alternating between no bonus, and 1, 1, 1, 2, 3 points of CHR bonus. Several of the characters you talk to are related to real people; I'm curious if anyone will guess who they are :)

• Love
Reactions: Phoeniix

Memorin

Sep 6, 2017
Finally, you can chose to not read a book, and chat with the other people in the coffee shop. It grants a CHR bonus along a sliding scale, alternating between no bonus, and 1, 1, 1, 2, 3 points of CHR bonus. Several of the characters you talk to are related to real people; I'm curious if anyone will guess who they are :)
Huh. That option actually does something? Then there may be a bug I want to report here, Nothing ever happens after "I wonder if there's anyone around I can chat with". Attached screenshot as proof. I never saw any Charisma boosts either.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Yeah; it goes:
- I wonder if there's anyone I can talk to
next time
- you find someone to talk to.

I'll edit that one to make it clearer; I agree it's poor use of language.

I've gotten two of the mirrors to update (for OSX and PC/Linux). The third is not cooperating
1575008238162.png

It's also up on itch.io. I'm just going to push the button on the update, then go see if I can find a better wifi to leech onto.

Memorin

Sep 6, 2017
About that I can't see Home icon while in the Bath, I think I figured out the REAL problem with it. Turns out I had the Stat menu turned on, so it's hidden behind the window. Being the blind man I am I completely missed it and decided that it was a bug. Very sorry. Still, I'd suggest moving it a bit lower to avoid similar complications in the future.

EDIT: I need to avoid dumping edits into my post in the future. Anyway, check the screenshot for another UI problem. See the circled City icon? Every time I try to click it, Katie's dialogue pops up instead. She's in the way even though she doesn't look like it.

Last edited:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
About that I can't see Home icon while in the Bath, I think I figured out the REAL problem with it. Turns out I had the Stat menu turned on, so it's hidden behind the window. Being the blind man I am I completely missed it and decided that it was a bug. Very sorry. Still, I'd suggest moving it a bit lower to avoid similar complications in the future.
Well spotted!

I agree, the UI shouldn't overlap the icons. Will move it down.

Horizon666

Jun 30, 2018
Droid Productions Great game so far, enjoying it. Great graphics and I love that you slightly animated the characters idles, it adds a surprising bit to it. Story seems interesting so far and you can't half tell that English is you're first language (Guessing you're a Brit or a Scot), 'cause everything just flows. Nothing jumping out where you say "I get what they were trying to say here, but that's such a clunky way of putting it", which is nice. :D

Bug report time.

Noticed that you have Strength and Intelligence linked backwards. When Strength increases the Intelligence stat raises and vice versa. Also, as others have mentioned, there's quite a few overlapping UI issues. Inventory seems a glaring example here.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Droid Productions Great game so far, enjoying it. Great graphics and I love that you slightly animated the characters idles, it adds a surprising bit to it. Story seems interesting so far and you can't half tell that English is you're first language (Guessing you're a Brit or a Scot), 'cause everything just flows. Nothing jumping out where you say "I get what they were trying to say here, but that's such a clunky way of putting it", which is nice. :D

Bug report time.

Noticed that you have Strength and Intelligence linked backwards. When Strength increases the Intelligence stat raises and vice versa. Also, as others have mentioned, there's quite a few overlapping UI issues. Inventory seems a glaring example here.

Thanks for the feedback!

I just uploaded 0.1.18, which fixes a bunch of typos (sadly my brain auto-corrects these), some clunky UIs and other small stuff; basically the low-hanging fruit. I'm now about to start a bigger pass on some of the UI issues reported, including the ones you mentioned.

It's early days yet; I'd be interested in hearing average play-lengths from people who's completed it? (with / without using the debug menu).

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Same as @Criss475, you are stuck after winning the minotaur card game. The dialogue UI gets slower and less responsive at each click for about 4 or 5 choices, until it stops advancing at all. I was in full screen mode.
Okay, that's a genuine weird one. Are you guys on PC? I'll sit down and test this; usually I test in windowed mode, so I've never seen this particular issue.

4.60 star(s) 252 Votes