chicho1958

Engaged Member
Donor
Apr 28, 2020
Yeah,what Adrian said. Some of the ng+ update was content that unlocks for both normal and new game + playthroughs, some of it is only triggering if you're on an explicit ng+ run
Yes Olivia triggered when she was at book store and got that book and saw the first scene at library but that was it and went there every night, it triggered after I meet her at the bookstore but that was it. I'll have to play a ng+ to find out if there's more because that quest couldn't finish it,thx for help by the way and while I'm here what you working on now?

Jun 13, 2018
Yes Olivia triggered when she was at book store and got that book and saw the first scene at library but that was it and went there every night, it triggered after I meet her at the bookstore but that was it. I'll have to play a ng+ to find out if there's more because that quest couldn't finish it,thx for help by the way and while I'm here what you working on now?
oh! sorry, i forgot there's MORE after 1st book scene in Book 1! ok, after her 1st book scene at library, go back to bookstore.

Reactions: chicho1958

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
At the moment I'm working on Morningstar. Act IV is almost done, after which I'm going back and doing some World Expansion stuff (replayable paths, more side characters, etc). Once I'm satisfied Book 1 NG+ is completely done and bug-fixed (Steam deck compatible, etc), I'll go back and port it to Book 2 and start Book 2 NG+ fully.

Merlin-Magic

Jan 28, 2024
Still no Linux download for book 3 on Gofile? Book 3 file is too large for Pixeldrain or Mega without an account. Mixdrop is now like a virus and the download will take 4+ hours on UploadHaven. This is not fun.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Gave the mirrors a refresh for book 3. Alternatively, Steam downloads quickly, and is always updated with latest version (and you get to support the developer, so I can pay for instant noodles and electricity) :) I give Steam keys to all patreon/subscribestar supporters, and those work in countries that have banned LoM for being too spicy (like Germany, North & South Korea).

Win64: - - - -
OSX: - - - -
Linux: - - - -

chicho1958

Engaged Member
Donor
Apr 28, 2020
Good thing I save a lot, I talked with that genie or whatever he is and keeps saying something about the lamp but then instead of fighting it I just left to never see it again sooo what's the deal? Or do I just beat it?

Daemoniac

Feb 17, 2022
Good thing I save a lot, I talked with that genie or whatever he is and keeps saying something about the lamp but then instead of fighting it I just left to never see it again sooo what's the deal? Or do I just beat it?
Droid saves it for you...
There is really overlooked funtionality called :"Load from the day"´...

Juuust saying :D

Cazzan

Dec 11, 2022
Having played the game I have a few comments (hopefully constructive). I'm sure they've all been made before, but...

UI: Generally good and snappy and got the job done, but a few comments still
  • It would have been nice not to have to go to the portal every time you wanted to go between Edinburgh and Camelot. Why couldn't the quick location thing have had a tab for each and moving would have been much easier?
  • It would have been nice with a little more information in-game. Instead of going to the wiki to check skills for companions you didn't use so much when going to elsewhere, it would have been nice to have that information easily available in-game. Similarly for the exact effects of your stats.
  • Very minor, but I kept being disappointed in the gem screen that it was drag and drop into the slots, but then you couldn't drag them between slots
  • For some reason I could not get rollback/replay to work in Book 2, and sometimes it would skip conversation on mouse click or space, so I relied on that throughout to go back and read the text that it skipped past.
  • I think the rules of the game is that you can only change gem-set in the first turn? It was never explained that I recall, but that seemed to be my experience. In any case it could do with some more in-game info outside the tutorial about how the game works.
Graphics: Great renders, other parts could be improved
  • The renders are great, although a few of the movies could be improved. The dragonfire one looked a bit odd to me among others.
  • UI graphics could be improved a lot.
Gameplay: Mostly fun, clever idea with the poker table, but with limitations
  • The poker battle system is clever, but unfortunately very random. It turns out that a 3-by-3 matrix of hold-em and 5 cards on your hand often don't translate into very many possible combinations. Once you start getting companions that can mess with the board and the cards (Molly, Chloe, Akane) it helps a lot, and makes battles a lot more strategic and a lot more fun. However, then you have locked battles without any such companions - and often against the largest enemies in the game like outsiders and Ammit, and you have to whittle down 500k HP with more or less RNG. I fell back on relying on Barrier and direct damage companions far too often.
  • Another limitation is how hard it is to hit any of the top half combos. Even with Sorceresses and Seers in your party expecting to hit anything above Four of a Kind or Full House is doomed. I'm pretty sure I never once saw a Royal Flush, and I had 1 or 2 Straight Flush and a handful of Five of a Kind throughout all three books. Given that the only gems with interesting effects are flawless gems, that means you don't really get to use any of them until Book 3 when you've accumulated enough Power, and even then 1 or 2 of them in each set at most. Some of them seem like they'd have very interesting synergies, but it never came into play.
  • Mostly your power was more or less defined by the three lowest gems used. Counting on anything above Three of a Kind reliably was not happening. This also contributed to late game being more or less a set of lightning or ice, to slow the enemy while Bella/Emily/Katie nuke the enemy.
  • It seemed like the enemies on the Paths stopped growing at some point and were more or less just irritants that could be killed with one or two whacks of Hammer Time.
Story: A++
  • Excellent, excellent story. There were a few small hiccups to me and I remember thinking there was one plothole, though I can't recall it now. In any case extremely minor and the story is great. I worried with the "timeskip", and it did throw me out of my state of disbelief for a short while, but it picked it back up brilliantly.
  • Even better than the story was the inter-personal relationships and how they were portrayed. Neither too dramatic, or too easy. This is the primary draw that lured me back to play and finish the game. Keeping that large a gallery of minor and major supporting cast balanced and working is truly impressive. Now that I'm done I find myself definitely wanting more stories of these people - everyday life or high stakes - doesn't matter. The writing for them was that good.

After I was done i found out the game was on Steam so I checked it out. I will say that €33 is a bit too much for me. But I'll wishlist it and maybe get it (perhaps when NG+ is done, though I'm unsure what exactly NG+ does here) later.

Last edited:
Reactions: qwerty76423578

Paracelso

Mar 4, 2018
You'd get this if something went critically wrong.

First thing to try; make sure it's not unzipped to some weird folder. Try unzipping putting it in c:\games or something, and see if that helps.

If that fails, get me the player.log file, and I'll have a look at what's going wrong. You can find it here:
%USERPROFILE%/AppData/LocalLow/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
Same error here. Has the cause of the problem already been identified? I was very curious

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Same error here. Has the cause of the problem already been identified? I was very curious
It's almost always because you've unzipped it to really deep path, or one using funny letters (%, $, \, {}) that confuse Unity's addressable system. Try putting it in c:\temp or something, and see if that helps.

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Respected User
Donor
Aug 8, 2017
Having played the game I have a few comments (hopefully constructive). I'm sure they've all been made before, but...

UI: Generally good and snappy and got the job done, but a few comments still
  • It would have been nice not to have to go to the portal every time you wanted to go between Edinburgh and Camelot. Why couldn't the quick location thing have had a tab for each and moving would have been much easier?
  • It would have been nice with a little more information in-game. Instead of going to the wiki to check skills for companions you didn't use so much when going to elsewhere, it would have been nice to have that information easily available in-game. Similarly for the exact effects of your stats.
  • Very minor, but I kept being disappointed in the gem screen that it was drag and drop into the slots, but then you couldn't drag them between slots
  • For some reason I could not get rollback/replay to work in Book 2, and sometimes it would skip conversation on mouse click or space, so I relied on that throughout to go back and read the text that it skipped past.
  • I think the rules of the game is that you can only change gem-set in the first turn? It was never explained that I recall, but that seemed to be my experience. In any case it could do with some more in-game info outside the tutorial about how the game works.
Graphics: Great renders, other parts could be improved
  • The renders are great, although a few of the movies could be improved. The dragonfire one looked a bit odd to me among others.
  • UI graphics could be improved a lot.
Gameplay: Mostly fun, clever idea with the poker table, but with limitations
  • The poker battle system is clever, but unfortunately very random. It turns out that a 3-by-3 matrix of hold-em and 5 cards on your hand often don't translate into very many possible combinations. Once you start getting companions that can mess with the board and the cards (Molly, Chloe, Akane) it helps a lot, and makes battles a lot more strategic and a lot more fun. However, then you have locked battles without any such companions - and often against the largest enemies in the game like outsiders and Ammit, and you have to whittle down 500k HP with more or less RNG. I fell back on relying on Barrier and direct damage companions far too often.
  • Another limitation is how hard it is to hit any of the top half combos. Even with Sorceresses and Seers in your party expecting to hit anything above Four of a Kind or Full House is doomed. I'm pretty sure I never once saw a Royal Flush, and I had 1 or 2 Straight Flush and a handful of Five of a Kind throughout all three books. Given that the only gems with interesting effects are flawless gems, that means you don't really get to use any of them until Book 3 when you've accumulated enough Power, and even then 1 or 2 of them in each set at most. Some of them seem like they'd have very interesting synergies, but it never came into play.
  • Mostly your power was more or less defined by the three lowest gems used. Counting on anything above Three of a Kind reliably was not happening. This also contributed to late game being more or less a set of lightning or ice, to slow the enemy while Bella/Emily/Katie nuke the enemy.
  • It seemed like the enemies on the Paths stopped growing at some point and were more or less just irritants that could be killed with one or two whacks of Hammer Time.
Story: A++
  • Excellent, excellent story. There were a few small hiccups to me and I remember thinking there was one plothole, though I can't recall it now. In any case extremely minor and the story is great. I worried with the "timeskip", and it did throw me out of my state of disbelief for a short while, but it picked it back up brilliantly.
  • Even better than the story was the inter-personal relationships and how they were portrayed. Neither too dramatic, or too easy. This is the primary draw that lured me back to play and finish the game. Keeping that large a gallery of minor and major supporting cast balanced and working is truly impressive. Now that I'm done I find myself definitely wanting more stories of these people - everyday life or high stakes - doesn't matter. The writing for them was that good.

After I was done i found out the game was on Steam so I checked it out. I will say that €33 is a bit too much for me. But I'll wishlist it and maybe get it (perhaps when NG+ is done, though I'm unsure what exactly NG+ does here) later.
I take it you did not bring Molloy with you?
Molloy gives you 5 jokers allowing you to get 4 and 5 of a kind and royal flushes all over the place.

Jun 13, 2018
Molloy gives you 5 jokers allowing you to get 4 and 5 of a kind and royal flushes all over the place.
that was my personal mistake the 1st run of Book 1......2nd on- Molly is ALWAYS on my squad! unless she isn't because of story.....

Cazzan

Dec 11, 2022
I did, whenever I was allowed. You'll notice I specifically said it helps when she and Chloe become available.

Like I said the main problem was the big fixed fights like outsiders and Ammit, where she was not present.

That said even with her skill it's hard to get above Four of a Kind. I most certainly never had Royal flushes all over the place. Perhaps if fights lasted a lot of rounds since the jokers seems to be shuffled back in and come up in the middle 9 cards again, but by that point the enemy is also throwing big stuff every round and the fight ends one way or the other very quickly. My experience was more often than not badly for me, given reasonably strong enemies.

4.60 star(s) 252 Votes