Sox60Six

Nov 30, 2019
I always felt that poker-based combat has been under-utilized, esp. since the mobile app "Sword&Poker" went *POOF*.
I'll follow this for now, and give it a swing when it hits v0.5 or better.
#FucKonami

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I always felt that poker-based combat has been under-utilized, esp. since the mobile app "Sword&Poker" went *POOF*.
I'll follow this for now, and give it a swing when it hits v0.5 or better.
#FucKonami
Sword & Poker (I & II) were a huge influence on the combat system, yeah. Absolutely amazing game, and the F2P version was an unholy mess. Other influences were Slay the Spire (for the replayable paths of Elsewhere, and the idea of 'deck building') and Persona 4/5 (for things like the calendar rhythm, and the mix of a normal world, and the dungeon world).

(Also; 0.5.x will be the end of Book 1 (Act I-V), and the start of a new app. At that point it'll be something like 6-7hrs )

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolo and Sox60Six

Sox60Six

Nov 30, 2019
Sword & Poker (I & II) were a huge influence on the combat system, yeah. Absolutely amazing game, and the F2P version was an unholy mess. Other influences were Slay the Spire (for the replayable paths of Elsewhere, and the idea of 'deck building') and Persona 4/5 (for things like the calendar rhythm, and the mix of a normal world, and the dungeon world).

(Also; 0.5.x will be the end of Book 1 (Act I-V), and the start of a new app. At that point it'll be something like 6-7hrs )
Glad the reference wasn't out of your scope. Thanks also for the map ahead; most devs aren't comfy with sharing future version details. :cool:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Glad the reference wasn't out of your scope. Thanks also for the map ahead; most devs aren't comfy with sharing future version details. :cool:
Nah, it's been pretty clear for a while :) I planned it as 3 books, ~15 acts. All great fantasy stories are trilogies at their heart ;) I deliberately didn't want to set myself up for an infinity game.

Book 1 (The Crown) charts the rise of the Knights (act I - V).
Book 2 (The War) charts the conflict to come.
And Book 3 (The Return) is... well, that would be telling.

Reactions: RanchFTW and Rolo

Sox60Six

Nov 30, 2019
Fantasy Trilogies will continue to be a thing until someone geeks 32 year-old Tolkien....
#TimeAssassination

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017

A common question is "Why can't I do more stuff at night". I'm adding more functionality in these couple of updates; with the Black Rose event complete, Jenny will be happy to keep the place open especially for you. In addition you can shower, and call mom, from the Crowely. In addition, the first step in upgrading the Crowley will be to extend working hours, so you can work at night (primarily serving the supernatural community).

• Love
Reactions: Rolo and DA22

Sleeping In Pieces

Mar 16, 2019
My issue with how time is managed is that the entire day is only divided into 3 segments: Morning, Evening(more like afternoon I guess), and Night. I'd like to be able to do more in a day TBH.

TommyEsclow

Aug 18, 2017
Game and story looks great so far and I like the minigame. But I wish it wasn't that linear, though. Everything is scripted there is no free roam / repeatability.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
My issue with how time is managed is that the entire day is only divided into 3 segments: Morning, Evening(more like afternoon I guess), and Night. I'd like to be able to do more in a day TBH.
Mostly to do with me being anti grind. Think of it as an economy; the limiting currency right now isn't cash or stats, it's time. That makes time precious (this isn't my idea, btw, this is stolen straight from Persona).

If I gave you 5 slots / day (say morning, noon, afternoon, evening and night), one of 3 things happen:
1. Because you now have 2x the number of slots, I reduce the rewards to keep the economy stable. So now instead of getting +1 str each time you read Big Muscles Gut, I just give you 1 point every second time you read it.
2. Because I refuse to do that, I just balance it by raising the thresholds. So defeating Katie now requires 20/20/20, instead of 10/10/10
3. I could just say feck it, and just leave the economy as it is. The problem is that now hyper-inflation has set in, and before the end of week 1 you've gotten better at MMA than Katie. At that point, time effectively ceases to be a currency.
(I guess I could add a 4th option: just double the amount of content. That has other limitations :D )

The more frustrating aspect right now is that, because your time is limited, you feel the lack of things to do at night a lot more keenly. Which is why I'm trying to fix that by extending the content available at night, but making it different than the content in the day.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, I had a renewed respect for all the devs using big booby girls, those puppies are a pain to pose :) I should probably redo that one, though :)
Remember though that once you get better and better over time with practicing their likely will come a time you will want to redo lots of them. Try to resist that unless you can get a second computer dedicated to do just that. :p

Rolo

Jul 14, 2017
... If I gave you 5 slots / day (say morning, noon, afternoon, evening and night), one of 3 things happen: ...
There could be a 4th case: The number of ingame days /months would be halved.

But what is not changing is the total sum of parts of the day.
So it is good as it is. (It is not worth the work to change everything).

With busy nights, I am really looking forward - game gets better and better ...

Kaliba

Jun 24, 2017
While i really like the look and the game mechanics, even the base story idea, the writing is just to over the top in my opinion. I have nothing against a little bit of humor, but the mc literally make fun of himself, the situation or his opposite in what feels like every second sentence.

E.g. when he encounters the minotaur, every living being should at least be a little bit scared or take the situation more seriously(like the armoured girl), and maybe after the fight make a little bit of fun about the situation. But noooo mc pulls joke after joke and says he will play poker with the minataur. Obviously humor is very subjective, but the general feel/tone of the game is too light headed in my opinion. I cant take the mc or the story seriously.

E.g. The tone of "the deluca family", while also being more on the humorous side in a lot of situations, there are also dramatic, epic or sad situations. Because of that you are more invested in the story and can take it seriously.

Your writing feels more like a script for the movie "The Naked Gun". Which is quite sad because everything else seems pretty top notch.

Rolo

Jul 14, 2017
... But noooo mc pulls joke after joke and says he will play poker with the minataur. Obviously humor is very subjective, but the general feel/tone of the game is too light headed in my opinion...
It is your right to have this view, although it is a pity imo.
I do not agree personally.
When MC talks about poker, he is not joking at all. It is for life and death. It's his way to say: "lets start fighting", because the opponent does not see these poker cards. Every individual has his own view on magic. Poker is MCs way (its all explained in the story).

I agree with you that Naked Gun is much much overdrawn. Luckily, LoM is not - imho.

PS: Yes in the beginning, MC did not take this whole scene for serious, because he suspected someone is putting a prank on him with “role playing games”. Its his first day in Europe after all.

Last edited:

MisterL

Sep 17, 2019
I would argue, as this is the first fight of the game, that his words show how surreal the situation for him is and he didn't understand what is all about at this point of the story. He is more or less joking about it, because he can't take it seriously at this moment.

Don't forget he just a normal guy, without a real clue about this magic world being part of our regular world. This fight is part of the beginning of his journey to get to know this other world in our world.

If you keep following the story you will see other fights and/or encounters with a different kind of reaction by the MC.

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes