Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
Can anyone (or dev) who's more knowledgeable with renpy idiosyncracies explain why it's so inconsistent with layered images behavior?

Yes, I've read the documentation exhaustively and experimented alot but I still get unexpected behavior; like sometimes when giving a "show [baseLayeredImageName] someGroup someAttribute anotherAttribute" it'll truncate items given in the command, even though the file structure is already maintained as the standard \baseLayeredImageName\someGroup_someAttribute.webp etc

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? In that you've worked with layered images and recognized there are certain unwritten rules not really emphasized in the documentation that are important to know; I'd like to know what those are.

I ask this in this thread because this game makes heavy use of layered images, so I may not be the only one playing around with these.

HB38

Oct 3, 2017
Can anyone (or dev) who's more knowledgeable with renpy idiosyncracies explain why it's so inconsistent with layered images behavior?

Yes, I've read the documentation exhaustively and experimented alot but I still get unexpected behavior; like sometimes when giving a "show [baseLayeredImageName] someGroup someAttribute anotherAttribute" it'll truncate items given in the command, even though the file structure is already maintained as the standard \baseLayeredImageName\someGroup_someAttribute.webp etc

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? In that you've worked with layered images and recognized there are certain unwritten rules not really emphasized in the documentation that are important to know; I'd like to know what those are.

I ask this in this thread because this game makes heavy use of layered images, so I may not be the only one playing around with these.
Without specific examples, I can't say for certain. If you are a dev (and not a modder), I would encourage you to join the Ren'py discord for assistance.

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
Without specific examples, I can't say for certain. If you are a dev (and not a modder), I would encourage you to join the Ren'py discord for assistance.
I am not a dev nor a modder?? just a guy trying to learn and understand how renpy functions.

My issues all seem to stem from a lack of understanding on how renpy interpolates names under different conditions. does little to clarify.

So any explicitly defined image paths default to game/images, easy enough. When attributes are supplied without an explicit path, it seems to look in the same location as any explicitly defined images, but this behavior is inconsistent? Is there a relationship between the image tags and the expected path of images?

Another way to go about this - if you know of a way to print any log file of image errors - they aren't captured in regular log/traceback/errors-just the in-game red-text messages of [image cant be found] - then I could figure out the search pattern - right now it slaps them all on top of each other making it unreadable.

HB38

Oct 3, 2017
I am not a dev nor a modder?? just a guy trying to learn and understand how renpy functions.

My issues all seem to stem from a lack of understanding on how renpy interpolates names under different conditions. does little to clarify.

So any explicitly defined image paths default to game/images, easy enough. When attributes are supplied without an explicit path, it seems to look in the same location as any explicitly defined images, but this behavior is inconsistent? Is there a relationship between the image tags and the expected path of images?

Another way to go about this - if you know of a way to print any log file of image errors - they aren't captured in regular log/traceback/errors-just the in-game red-text messages of [image cant be found] - then I could figure out the search pattern - right now it slaps them all on top of each other making it unreadable.
Images that don't have an explicit path given are detected at boot time by a scanning function that searches only the images directory (images explicitly defined can be located anywhere in the game folder). Images are tagged by their file names (underscores are ignored), so an image of "bree happy" can match "images/bree/bree_happy.png" for example. The first word in an image with spaces like that is considered it's tag (the rest are all attributes), and allows you to simply then go "bree sad" and it will know to replace the first bree with the second. This behavior carries over into each individual sub image within a layered image.

I'd need to see a specific example of an inconsistency to help you further. There is no log of invalid images as you describe though.

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
Images that don't have an explicit path given are detected at boot time by a scanning function that searches only the images directory (images explicitly defined can be located anywhere in the game folder). Images are tagged by their file names (underscores are ignored), so an image of "bree happy" can match "images/bree/bree_happy.png" for example. The first word in an image with spaces like that is considered it's tag (the rest are all attributes), and allows you to simply then go "bree sad" and it will know to replace the first bree with the second. This behavior carries over into each individual sub image within a layered image.

I'd need to see a specific example of an inconsistency to help you further. There is no log of invalid images as you describe though.
Thank you, that alone is helpful- I thought it was just searching directly by filename, e.g. something like bree fuck missionary was literally looking for a \bree\fuck\missionary - and it's good to know the first is considered tag. (tho others can be groups and not just attributes to my understanding). A lot of my problems were with variable positions- where actors could take each others places - as an example:

Say you had a threesome scene (this is a mashup, I can't think of any in game that are analogous with variable positions) - but there's 3 characters, 1 is static, 2 can swap places, ie a spitroast or a lesbian fmf -

I'd want the actions to be grouped by person, then each activity as an attribute, something like

always
actor3lieStill

group Actor1
attribute suck
attribute fuck
attribute hj

actor2
attribute suck
attribute fuck
attribute hj

etcetc - where only one can be "fucking" or "sucking at a given time - so I'd add [if_any] to make each one exclusive from the other. The problem ended up being having an attribute in one group be false would prevent the other actor from doing separate attributes, anyway ill try and find a more concrete example.

Last edited:

HB38

Oct 3, 2017
Thank you, that alone is helpful- I thought it was just searching directly by filename, e.g. something like bree fuck missionary was literally looking for a \bree\fuck\missionary - and it's good to know the first is considered tag. (tho others can be groups and not just attributes to my understanding). A lot of my problems were with variable positions- where actors could take each others places - as an example:

Say you had a threesome scene (this is a mashup, I can't think of any in game that are analogous with variable positions) - but there's 3 characters, 1 is static, 2 can swap places, ie a spitroast or a lesbian fmf -

I'd want the actions to be grouped by person, then each activity as an attribute, something like

always
actor3lieStill

group Actor1
attribute suck
attribute fuck
attribute hj

actor2
attribute suck
attribute fuck
attribute hj

etcetc - where only one can be "fucking" or "sucking at a given time - so I'd add [if_any] to make each one exclusive from the other. The problem ended up being having an attribute in one group be false would prevent the other actor from doing separate attributes, anyway ill try and find a more concrete example.
So, the attributes are designed to do the opposite of what you are trying - to go to my earlier example, if you have "sad" as your attribute it expects to use the sad mouth, eyes, pose, etc. You probably want to break your attributes up so it's like suck_1 and suck_2 (for actors 1 and 2).

If you want to continue this discussion, you can either DM me or create a thread in like Dev help (and then DM me about it) - I don't want to clog up this discussion for Love & Sex about something [mostly] unrelated to it.

Reactions: Pr0GamerJohnny

fpsgamer

Nov 21, 2017
Updated Android port. Nothing too fancy but let me know if you have any issues.

Version: 23.3.0

Appreciate my porting? Leave a Tip! You're supporting my efforts, paying for storage, and encouraging more ports!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OR or even MEGA

PLEASE don't @ me or DM me for updates. I always update my ports, YES I ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THE UPDATE.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This unofficial port/version is not released by the developer, download at your own risk.

Mega

Size 711 MiB

Come find me on Discord:
sorry to bother you but i downloaded the port and it just stuck on start screen.
do i need to wait more?
i downloaded from mega link of your discord.

here is the log.

Reactions: Daddyschurchdog
Apr 9, 2020
I'm having a problem with Cassidy, for some reason her icon and character is gone? I have triggered an event with her while she is invisible. According to the cheat menu, she's in my office, but she doesn't appear as an icon or as a model. Have done the investigation correctly, she has agreed to become a pet.

Edit: She appeared after the "comfort her" at the house, weird

Last edited:

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
sorry to bother you but i downloaded the port and it just stuck on start screen.
do i need to wait more?
i downloaded from mega link of your discord.

here is the log.
I can't reproduce. Have you got any files in the game directory that might be messing it up? What version of the game did you download?

Reactions: fpsgamer

Daddyschurchdog

Sep 25, 2021
I can't reproduce. Have you got any files in the game directory that might be messing it up? What version of the game did you download?
Hmm I'm having the same problem. I downloaded 23.3.0- I've never installed a version on this phone so I don't think I have any files that would be messing it up. Any ideas?

SoraAki

Mar 17, 2018
I really wish there was a way to undo Emma's final date status and unlock her. I have every girl except her, and I have collared pretty much all of them as well. It's kind of irritating that she's the "dream girl" in this whole story and she's the only one too picky to be involved in what everyone else does. It would be great if there was a console cheat to make her come along so you don't have to start over, get her as a girlfriend and then actually play the rest of the game to get all the girls.
there is, ya can set her flags "hidden" ,"nokiss" and "nodate" to false and she appear again

Python:
emma.flags.hidden = False
emma.flags.nodate = False
emma.flags.nokiss = False
emma.flags.nodrink = False
should do trick
but be aware, ya can't open her page in book, it'll throw error
and since this is after her decision ya may want return 'emma.love.max' to 200
or actually simpler way - set 'emma.flags.lovepoints' to 3 before she decide to stay as friends, this way should ignore her suspicious

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkKingRen

SoraAki

Mar 17, 2018
I'm having a problem with Cassidy, for some reason her icon and character is gone? I have triggered an event with her while she is invisible. According to the cheat menu, she's in my office, but she doesn't appear as an icon or as a model. Have done the investigation correctly, she has agreed to become a pet.

Edit: She appeared after the "comfort her" at the house, weird
that's normal, some characters can be invisible yet have location in their 'activity'(where cheat menu getting it from), this thing regulated by flag 'girl_name.flags.hidden', if it True they don't shown on map yet can be somewhere, if it False ya can see & interact with them. as example Emma exists on map from very start but we can't see her because flag 'hidden' is True until we clear introduction quest, which makes flag False

rewpoi

May 28, 2017
i assume the gaming harem is on bree's gaming path... is her submission still locked in her maid path?

3.60 star(s) 286 Votes