flamie

Game Developer
May 8, 2019
"Because it's more convenient way for us to share new releases with our patrons. It's also easier to fix bugs, when we don't need to build a client every time. I can fix bugs in minutes, because game is online. People also don't like to download games, so offline client is an audience loss."
This is the answer that you should have said in the beginning. I think the game wouldn't get a 1.8 rating if you said this to begin with if this was reason for the online drm. If you have said because we made the game to be online so we can give the updates faster, that part I can understand. However, I do think there are better ways than drm. You still have the game online without needing the drm by requiring people to sign in with their patron to access the new content. You can easily have more control that way instead. Even if people tried to find a way around this, they still need their patron to access your game's new content.
>This is the answer that you should have said in the beginning. I think the game wouldn't get a 1.8 rating if you said this to begin with if this was reason for the online drm.

I don't think so. What i'm saying is not a big deal for people. Even more, i did tell it somewhere in this thread (about fixing bugs and faster releases). People just don't care.

> You still have the game online without needing the drm by requiring people to sign in with their patron to access the new content.

Of course they should sign in, it's early access, like downloading new updates from someone's paywalled patreon page, but in this case you don't need to download, you just donate and play. I think that 1 month of early access is not a problem.

Sep 3, 2017
>This is the answer that you should have said in the beginning. I think the game wouldn't get a 1.8 rating if you said this to begin with if this was reason for the online drm.

I don't think so. What i'm saying is not a big deal for people. Even more, i did tell it somewhere in this thread (about fixing bugs and faster releases). People just don't care.

> You still have the game online without needing the drm by requiring people to sign in with their patron to access the new content.

Of course they should sign in, it's early access, like downloading new updates from someone's paywalled patreon page, but in this case you don't need to download, you just donate and play. I think that 1 month of early access is not a problem.
You be surprise that a group did the sign in thing and they have a thread on this site as well. While It doesn't have the same number of review by a long shot, people talk about the game a lot more than here. https://f95zone.to/threads/two-horns-living-in-the-town-with-ogres-v1-2-0-pink-cafe-art.50130/ is the game that I talking about. It had the sign in function (in game mind you) and People were okay with that and just waited for the public version. There might other games that do this sign in thing but one that I know of that does other than the one I posted. It just a very lagging broken mess of a game.

flamie

Game Developer
May 8, 2019
You be surprise that a group did the sign in thing and they have a thread on this site as well. While It doesn't have the same number of review by a long shot, people talk about the game a lot more than here. https://f95zone.to/threads/two-horns-living-in-the-town-with-ogres-v1-2-0-pink-cafe-art.50130/ is the game that I talking about. It had the sign in function (in game mind you) and People were okay with that and just waited for the public version. There might other games that do this sign in thing but one that I know of that does other than the one I posted. It just a very lagging broken mess of a game.
>people talk about the game a lot more than here.

How it helps us to develop our game? You can't hire people work for good comments or reviews. You need money. What I see on F95 is a hundreds of good games without monetization, but with dozens of good reviews. When I open their patreon pages it's $500 a month games, unfortunately.

Examples:
https://f95zone.to/threads/mist-v0-3-1-395games.42509/
549 reviews! Fascinating! 4.5 stars rating. Really cool. But they have less patrons then us, with 70 1-star reviews.

https://f95zone.to/threads/zenos-anthology-v0-2-9-4-2-chemical-fire.90033/
52 reviews, 4.5 stars. But $394 on patreon.

I would prefer making the game without paywalls not to disturb people, but it's just impossible in 2023, when you have that huge amount of cool games.

You are looking on the headliners like Summertime Saga or Being a DIK, but it's just a tip of the iceberg.
We made a big research before making Luna. And that's the result.

Last edited:

retardo

Sep 17, 2017
The difference between this and the Oni game is that the Oni game received actual work and the paywalled content was a fancy hat, and a internal view, not 90% of the game's content, the skip button, saving and loading, etc. The promise to release everything for free doesn't mean diddly squat when you're riding the patreon milkfest for years on end AND have a history of abandoning games. If you think people can't see this, you're wrong.
It doesn't take 4 months to make three scenes.
No, you shouldn't have to pay 15 dollars every time you want to see one new scene every 4 months, one time, sure. What you're doing? No. How many updates does this have? Are you fine morally with charging people fifteen dollars for one horse scene after taking 4 months when the last update had four scenes?
You can't milk as much money out of people as possible for as little work as possible and not expect blowback, so stop pretending the online DRM is for easy updates.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017
>people talk about the game a lot more than here.

How it helps us to develop our game? You can't hire people work for good comments or reviews. You need money. What I see on F95 is a hundreds of good games without monetization, but with dozens of good reviews. When I open their patreon pages it's $500 a month games, unfortunately.

Examples:
https://f95zone.to/threads/mist-v0-3-1-395games.42509/
549 reviews! Fascinating! 4.5 stars rating. Really cool. But they have less patrons then us, with 70 1-star reviews.

https://f95zone.to/threads/zenos-anthology-v0-2-9-4-2-chemical-fire.90033/
52 reviews, 4.5 stars. But $394 on patreon.

I would prefer making the game without paywalls not to disturb people, but it's just impossible in 2023, when you have that huge amount of cool games.

You are looking on the headliners like Summertime Saga or Being a DIK, but it's just a tip of the iceberg.
We made a big research before making Luna. And that's the result.
I mean by people talk a lot is that there are more pages of people talking in said thread. You would have know if you look at the page number. Two. The mist game, while it doesn't have much patrons as you, the prices to join their patrons are far cheaper than your. three. I going to say to you and please don't take this personal because You seem not aware why your game is doing well compare to the other games you sent me. The games can gotten at the five dollar price tag. Also I can easily counter your point about paywalls. It is fine to paywall the newer version of your game. However, it is the way you paywall stuff that can cause issue. If you pay 90% of content, you are not going to be like by people. If you only just paywall the update, no one would care and might pay for it. This game's issue is that you lose access to that new content and it also being visual novel game on top of that. You are trying to make point that I never said like paywall game is bad. I going keep saying this is that the paywall is fine but the way you going about is troubling. Three. I very sure that I could find a VN game that has patrons which I found. https://f95zone.to/threads/eternum-v0-5-public-caribdis.93340/ here is one I found using this website. Here is another https://f95zone.to/threads/out-of-touch-v2-57-story-anon.67494/. Less patrons than this game but making great money despite that. Triple AAA games are burning trash while indie games are thriving. If you did research before making Luna, why paywall the game in the way you did? No other game does this so why? I fine with paywalling games but not this level. Before you mentions other games that did, compare you guys are doing and compare to what they are doing. If the same, I will call them out the same. If it is different but just as bad, I still call them out. But if they do something different and it something not comparable and is a nothing burger, I will call you out for trying to drag them under the bus. Also, Be more professional about things, You are a dev trying to make a game. You don't want to push people away since it going to cause more problems than not. The posting of the graph is a example of what to not do. It make you seem like you are bragging about which it annoys people the most. The way you behave on the thread isn't good either because you look like a hardcore fan trying to defend the game when you are one of devs making this. The fact that people don't talk as much as other thread show that you are not good at PR.

TitDang

Game Developer
Apr 11, 2018
I don't often leave messages in this thread, I don't want to provoke people into new arguments, and I've already clarified my main position earlier. However, now I feel that several new questions have accumulated, so I think it's necessary to say a few words.

You are right that the update frequency has decreased. This concerns us too, and we will strive to increase it. With the launch of our new game about Luna, where we collaborate with the artist DJCompass, we will be able to raise both the overall update frequency that our players receive and give them something new. The delays themselves have objective reasons: in 2022, it became very difficult to work. I wrote about this in several Patreon posts. Now we can no longer collaborate with some people we used to work with. Due to new circumstances, they either stopped doing what they were doing or we physically can't pay them. Throughout the year, we had huge problems with banks, digital security, security in general, and my health, which was affected by immense stress. Some of these problems are still unresolved because the circumstances are beyond our control.

I don't approve of discussing and comparing other games here. It will turn into throwing examples of different titles at each other. On this website, there are indeed many games that are better than ours, and there are those that I really like. There are games whose authors earn more or less. We all have an opinion on whether their development methods are fair in relation to earnings or not. I genuinely believe that all authors try their best, even when players think otherwise. Some developers are more successful, some less. Some use "approved" methods, while others use "disapproved" ones. I've been a regular player who thinks he knows how to make games. And a developer who received $200 for years, having a good rating on platforms. And a developer who, in his opinion, has achieved some kind of success. I've also talked to dozens of other developers who have been raising their games for years in front of my eyes.

At the same time, I am absolutely okay with you expressing your attitude towards my game or my development or monetization methods. As for leaking images, hacks, mods and so on.

I'm also okay with you expressing your attitude towards paywalls. If you're interested in my position, I find it pointless to change the monetization method in the current project. You don't change horses midstream. In the new project, we will try another monetization method, and in the third one - a different one. I can suggest that you take a look at our journey over these years. I couldn't continue developing my previous games because I couldn't achieve financial success back then, despite very good reviews that I still hear in unexpected places. At the same time, paywalls, which provided us with financial support, allowed us to create a large and cool game with various characters. The game has about 100 000 words of artistic text, 90 scenes among which assets are almost never reused. Unique story arcs with their own mechanics. I'm not ashamed of such a game. Now we are working on other games because we can pay other people. Some may argue that financial success came not because of paywalls but because the game is much better (1 star versus 4 on F95) or our marketing has improved. I won't argue, this issue has already been thoroughly discussed earlier in the thread, and we have empirical data that supports my position.

Perhaps something could have indeed been done better. I've seen games with paywalls that both collect good reviews from people and bring authors a good income. Well, as they say, if I knew where I would fall, I would have put some straw there. But at the same time, I won't regret or repent for the chosen path. If there is time and place, we will try something new. Peace to all.

retardo

Sep 17, 2017
If you did research as Flamie said you did AND talked to other developers you should have known AND been told by every single person along the way no other game paywalls saving and skipping lmao, that's ridiculous. Not to mention common sense as someone who has presumably EVER played a video game. Now you're acting like it's too late to enable those features. Reminder that this is V.28, does that seem far too late in development to anyone else?
Update frequency doesn't matter if you charge for every update instead of monthly, I brought up update content. If you're charging a flat rate of 15$ for every single update then they should all be the same size and quality. You can't charge people 15$ for 4-6 scenes one month and 15$ for one scene three months later, due to stress or not.
If you don't like comparing this game to others, your team shouldn't have brought up other games. What a crock of shit.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017
I don't often leave messages in this thread, I don't want to provoke people into new arguments, and I've already clarified my main position earlier. However, now I feel that several new questions have accumulated, so I think it's necessary to say a few words.

You are right that the update frequency has decreased. This concerns us too, and we will strive to increase it. With the launch of our new game about Luna, where we collaborate with the artist DJCompass, we will be able to raise both the overall update frequency that our players receive and give them something new. The delays themselves have objective reasons: in 2022, it became very difficult to work. I wrote about this in several Patreon posts. Now we can no longer collaborate with some people we used to work with. Due to new circumstances, they either stopped doing what they were doing or we physically can't pay them. Throughout the year, we had huge problems with banks, digital security, security in general, and my health, which was affected by immense stress. Some of these problems are still unresolved because the circumstances are beyond our control.

I don't approve of discussing and comparing other games here. It will turn into throwing examples of different titles at each other. On this website, there are indeed many games that are better than ours, and there are those that I really like. There are games whose authors earn more or less. We all have an opinion on whether their development methods are fair in relation to earnings or not. I genuinely believe that all authors try their best, even when players think otherwise. Some developers are more successful, some less. Some use "approved" methods, while others use "disapproved" ones. I've been a regular player who thinks he knows how to make games. And a developer who received $200 for years, having a good rating on platforms. And a developer who, in his opinion, has achieved some kind of success. I've also talked to dozens of other developers who have been raising their games for years in front of my eyes.

At the same time, I am absolutely okay with you expressing your attitude towards my game or my development or monetization methods. As for leaking images, hacks, mods and so on.

I'm also okay with you expressing your attitude towards paywalls. If you're interested in my position, I find it pointless to change the monetization method in the current project. You don't change horses midstream. In the new project, we will try another monetization method, and in the third one - a different one. I can suggest that you take a look at our journey over these years. I couldn't continue developing my previous games because I couldn't achieve financial success back then, despite very good reviews that I still hear in unexpected places. At the same time, paywalls, which provided us with financial support, allowed us to create a large and cool game with various characters. The game has about 100 000 words of artistic text, 90 scenes among which assets are almost never reused. Unique story arcs with their own mechanics. I'm not ashamed of such a game. Now we are working on other games because we can pay other people. Some may argue that financial success came not because of paywalls but because the game is much better (1 star versus 4 on F95) or our marketing has improved. I won't argue, this issue has already been thoroughly discussed earlier in the thread, and we have empirical data that supports my position.

Perhaps something could have indeed been done better. I've seen games with paywalls that both collect good reviews from people and bring authors a good income. Well, as they say, if I knew where I would fall, I would have put some straw there. But at the same time, I won't regret or repent for the chosen path. If there is time and place, we will try something new. Peace to all.
This is a perfectly reasonable response. While I do agree that you can't tried midstream, I think there is a way to ease monetization to being less harsh. I also have idea for different monetization that you might like. The Dystopian Project for what they did for their patron might bring some idea. They do some artwork and comics for their patron.

Reactions: TitDang

Lucas90251

Dec 2, 2017

Wait for the new luna game will djcompass/fizzz be the sole artist for the project or will it be only certain parts like the windranger idle cgs in the first windranger game? Also i don't know if this was asked before but when this game is finished will the exclusive scenes still be behind a paywall or did you consider any other option?

TitDang

Game Developer
Apr 11, 2018
Wait for the new luna game will djcompass/fizzz be the sole artist for the project or will it be only certain parts like the windranger idle cgs in the first windranger game? Also i don't know if this was asked before but when this game is finished will the exclusive scenes still be behind a paywall or did you consider any other option?
Fizzz is responsible for most of art pieces. He works on the game arts among his usual artist work. That's the reason why the game will be quite compact. I'm responsible mostly for backgrounds and some edits.

sani45

Sep 20, 2019

Standing ovation.

sunduk51

Feb 18, 2021
Fizzz is responsible for most of art pieces. He works on the game arts among his usual artist work. That's the reason why the game will be quite compact. I'm responsible mostly for backgrounds and some edits.
Do you want to say that in "Luna in the tavern" the artist is also Fizzz? I can't recognize his work, it's something unique. Who is the master of the art?

flamie

Game Developer
May 8, 2019
Do you want to say that in "Luna in the tavern" the artist is also Fizzz? I can't recognize his work, it's something unique. Who is the master of the art?
No, the author of artworks from Luna in the Tavern is Titdang (and some other authors for additional sketches)

Crackcocaine

Jun 25, 2020
I took the time and unlocked the save and skip option. It's just like the offical offline version of the game, an Electron app, but with unlocked features and Offlaner patreon scences.

Mega
Since other replies mention this no longer working, any chance for an update?

Reactions: Blake639
1.80 star(s) 82 Votes