4.20 star(s) 103 Votes

Testerguy19

Nov 11, 2018

TimoF965

Nov 26, 2020
Am I missing something?
Why bother with UnRen at all? Simply open the .rpa and modify the line 47473 (remove the last bracket ")" ) .

[EDIT:] Ok, an implementet header-check prohibits simple changes in the .rpa :/
Are there copy-protection reasons for this, or something else?

Last edited:

Kagarus

Sep 28, 2017
Am I missing something?
Why bother with UnRen at all? Simply open the .rpa and modify the line 47473 (remove the last bracket ")" ) .

[EDIT:] Ok, an implementet header-check prohibits simple changes in the .rpa :/
Are there copy-protection reasons for this, or something else?
Data integrity protection I would guess, without having read the renpy source - that way, if for some reason some of your rpa files get corrupted, the game will fail safely.

TimoF965

Nov 26, 2020
Data integrity protection I would guess, without having read the renpy source - that way, if for some reason some of your rpa files get corrupted, the game will fail safely.
Ok, might be a reason. But protecting a simple game-script without direct disk or memory interactions, it seem to be a litte over the top for me. I wonder if the programmer even thought about this reason - or if it is mere a standard feature in the developement kit or something.

afterlights

Jan 31, 2020
The dialogue with Lei felt a little unearned but I'm glad it happened. Like other characters, there's some depth hidden behind that stereotypical facade. Hopefully in the future her behavior will shift between those public and intimate personas.

Kagarus

Sep 28, 2017
Ok, might be a reason. But protecting a simple game-script without direct disk or memory interactions, it seem to be a litte over the top for me. I wonder if the programmer even thought about this reason - or if it is mere a standard feature in the developement kit or something.
Oh, to be clear: This would be part of the engine and apply to all .rpa archives, not something redlolly went out of their way to do. Actually, let me check...

Code:
Full traceback:
  File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 326, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "renpy/main.py", line 382, in main
    renpy.loader.index_archives()
  File "renpy/loader.py", line 244, in index_archives
    index = handler.read_index(f)
  File "renpy/loader.py", line 129, in read_index
    index = loads(zlib.decompress(infile.read()))
error: Error -3 while decompressing data: incorrect header check
So it's not even the engine doing it, but the used library.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimoF965

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
Oh, to be clear: This would be part of the engine and apply to all .rpa archives, not something redlolly went out of their way to do. Actually, let me check...

Code:
Full traceback:
  File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 326, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "renpy/main.py", line 382, in main
    renpy.loader.index_archives()
  File "renpy/loader.py", line 244, in index_archives
    index = handler.read_index(f)
  File "renpy/loader.py", line 129, in read_index
    index = loads(zlib.decompress(infile.read()))
error: Error -3 while decompressing data: incorrect header check
So it's not even the engine doing it, but the used compression library.
.rpa files are just a compressed package to reduce filesize. It's a standard Renpy feature, devs can choose to use it when building the final compilation prior to release. One of its "side advantages" is that regular users can't dig in the code and break it either intentionally or unintentionally, that's why we need unRen to extract script and pic files within the .rpa

Reactions: Walter Victor

TimoF965

Nov 26, 2020
Thanks for the explaination, moskyx, and thanks for looking it up, Kagarus!

So, to sum it up: RedLolly did not activate it, though it is an option for RenPy. But a (de-)compression-library used it, maybe even unintentional by RedLolly.

moskyx: Interesting compression and packaging, I must say. All the texts and scripts are uncompressed (maybe optional), but music(?) or other things may be archiched into it. That is the reason for some font-"garbage"-blocks inbetween the script.

Thanks for teaching me and please do correct me if I got something wrong.

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
Thanks for the explaination, moskyx, and thanks for looking it up, Kagarus!

So, to sum it up: RedLolly did not activate it, though it is an option for RenPy. But a (de-)compression-library used it, maybe even unintentional by RedLolly.

moskyx: Interesting compression and packaging, I must say. All the texts and scripts are uncompressed (maybe optional), but music(?) or other things may be archiched into it. That is the reason for some font-"garbage"-blocks inbetween the script.

Thanks for teaching me and please do correct me if I got something wrong.
Actually you can choose what files and folders include in the compression. Most devs just throw their pics and videos into it but it's not unusual to find games with just a big "archive.rpa" file that becomes several folders and scripts after decompiling it with unRen. Once unpacked, Ren'Py will run the decompiled rpyc scripts and not the ones within the .rpa file. That way you can edit the rpy files you get after using unRen, launch the game (in this process Ren'Py will parse/update the rpyc files with the changes introduced to its correspondant rpy files) and Ren'Py will run the game thanks to those updated rpyc files.

Reactions: Tulrek and TimoF965

DavidCSR

Apr 30, 2021
I played an earlier version of this game...and I came away seriously impressed! Characters are superbly realised and written. This game has so much potential and it's refreshing to see a female MC!

Reactions: Maximigz

Redgy

Jan 17, 2018
The dialogue with Lei felt a little unearned but I'm glad it happened. Like other characters, there's some depth hidden behind that stereotypical facade. Hopefully in the future her behavior will shift between those public and intimate personas.
It felt.. extremely weird for me. She was just trying to kick MC out of the party and a moment later she's all like "so now that we're best buds you wanna know my deepest darkest secret?", just a complete 180 out of nowhere. That is.. either some tremendously terrible writing or Lei was simply fishing for dirt on MC. But even then this whole scene feels.. just completely out of place. Couldn't Lei try to be a bit more subtle or smth? >.>

LeeCleef

Oct 15, 2020

C5 first sneak peek
Hi guys!
The first preview of chapter five: a new background. It was time to incorporate a restaurant into the world of LC, and this one does not seem cheap. It seems the typical one where Charles would enjoy a good dinner, and rarely alone.
What do you think? Do you think it can be a good place for hot things to happen?
PS: By the way, we are working on a fix for the c4 bugs, thanks to all of you who have communicated them so that we can find them. Once updated we will upload it here on patreon and in Itchio. Thank you!
See u soon! ❤

ekroniuk

Dec 3, 2017
Okay four chapters is enough to say that I like this game. Storytelling is nothing groundbreaking, but it is competent and interesting enough. Yeah, characters are archetypes, but, well, archetypes are archetypes for a reason. I especially like flirting with Moore scenes, because teacher-student relation are always hot and he is not a typical old creep who pervs on his students. I wonder how long it will take Alcie to break his resistance. And drawings are awesome.

I agree that Lei behavior during the party is weird. Maybe she want to befriend Alcie to stab her in the back, but I think she would be more sophisticated.

4.20 star(s) 103 Votes