4.20 star(s) 103 Votes

AlliebuttDK

Jun 8, 2021
Here's the script I made that allows you to rename anyone you like in any RenPy game
Just extract it in your game folder and then open lc_customname.rpy and change the 'Phillipa' to whatever you want Alice's new name to be
To use with other games, simply change 'Alice' to that game's protag name
Duplicate that whole line if you want to rename npcs as well, for Our Red String for example, I always rename like the whole cast in my playthroughs :p
Thanks a ton! I've tried to rename some on my own in the past, but I always just end up breaking something along the way :LOL:
Would it be possible to make a similar script for nicknames and such? I know shit about coding, so I have no idea if it is. The nicknames just tend to be based on the base name, so it threw me off the first time :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Vinfamy

creating moddable 3D life simulator
Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017
Thanks a ton! I've tried to rename some on my own in the past, but I always just end up breaking something along the way :LOL:
Would it be possible to make a similar script for nicknames and such? I know shit about coding, so I have no idea if it is. The nicknames just tend to be based on the base name, so it threw me off the first time :ROFLMAO:
Just copy and paste the line
s = s.replace('Alice', 'Philippa')
into another line below it (still above the return s line), then change the Alice to whatever the nickname is and Philippa to its replacement

Reactions: AlliebuttDK
Jan 12, 2019
Okay, my thoughts so far. The game seems pretty damn amazing honestly, but given the high rating the game has I shouldn't really need to point out the obvious too much. The only feedback I have so far is minor, and I don't even know if the dev uses this forum so it might very well not be heard at all which is kinda eh I suppose. As I was saying though, I wish it was possible to re-name Alice to something else. I get that some authors/devs like that their character has a set name and I'm a firm believer in them having the right to do so, and I'll always support that decision if the author/dev sees it as part of their vision for the game. It just happens to be a strong preference of mine if I can give the protagonist my own first name, since it makes getting into the character, and by extension the game a lot easier for me. As I said, a relatively small piece of feedback that's likely to not be worth a ton.
This is fascinating to me - does being able to rename the character really help with the immersion? Frankly, I have never cared at all (male or female) - when given the option, I take the default. Although, I'm also a cis guy that's into female protagonist games, so maybe my perspective is a little further removed than other players.

Jan 12, 2019
Unfortunately, you, as a female player, are in the minority on this forum. So, when there is a male protagonist, if renaming is not possible a great furor arises and mods are written to correct this grievous error. But in a game with a female protagonist, renaming is rarely possible and if not available is equally rarely objected to. Men [mostly] write these games and cater [mostly] to other men. That's probably unfair, but it's the facts of life on F95.

For myself, I have no problem whatsoever with being unable to rename Alice to Walter. o_O
LOL, but to be fair, there are a lot of female protagonist games that give you the option. Also, the dev of 'LustCampus' is female, so I don't think the male perspective is the reason for that here. It's probably just preference from a writing standpoint - doesn't the MC go by 'Allie' on occasion (which wouldn't work with custom names)?

Last edited:
Reactions: Redgy and Echbert

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
This is fascinating to me - does being able to rename the character really help with the immersion? Frankly, I have never cared at all (male or female) - when given the option, I take the default. Although, I'm also a cis guy that's into female protagonist games, so maybe my perspective is a little further removed than other players.
It's like games with an incest patch : if you read "landlady", even though you know it's the MC's mother and it's just a word, it's annoying to replace it in your head. Reading the characters calling out your input name helps the immersion

LOL, but to be fair, there are a lot of female protagonist games that give you the option. Also, the dev of 'LustCampus' is female, so I don't think the male perspective is the reason for that here. It's probably just preference from a writing standpoint - doesn't the MC go by 'Allie' on occasion (which wouldn't work with custom names)?
Yeah when the name can't be changed, you can have nicknames or play on words based on the MC's fixed name.

You have to admit though that MC's name can be changed in 95% of games when male, and I'd say 50% or less if female

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
It is a minimal effort to have the protagonist's name changeable, if it's done at the start. Nicknames are also changeable in some games, with the same minimal effort. 5 or 6 lines of code will do the trick.

So if it's the developer's preference to have the protagonist's name as Alice, and that's that... as I said before, that will generate less flack than if it were a male protagonist.

Reactions: AlliebuttDK
Jan 12, 2019
It is a minimal effort to have the protagonist's name changeable, if it's done at the start. Nicknames are also changeable in some games, with the same minimal effort. 5 or 6 lines of code will do the trick.
It is certainly easy to code, but the cost is writing autonomy and obnoxiousness. That is, while maybe trivial, the story cannot contain dynamic use of the protagonists name - for example, doesn't Tom call Alice 'Alliecat' playing off their earlier dynamic in the story? So, you'd have to remove story dynamics like that. Second, as I'm sure you'd agree as a seasoned f95zone user, too many customization inputs can be a little obnoxious - like 'what's MC's name?', 'what's their relation to person A?', 'what's their relation to person B?', 'what's the MC friend's name?', and so on. With that said, I think your opinion is mostly agreeable, my only point is simply that more customization is not always a net-positive.

Redgy

Jan 17, 2018
It is certainly easy to code, but the cost is writing autonomy and obnoxiousness. That is, while maybe trivial, the story cannot contain dynamic use of the protagonists name - for example, doesn't Tom call Alice 'Alliecat' playing off their earlier dynamic in the story? So, you'd have to remove story dynamics like that. Second, as I'm sure you'd agree as a seasoned f95zone user, too many customization inputs can be a little obnoxious - like 'what's MC's name?', 'what's their relation to person A?', 'what's their relation to person B?', 'what's the MC friend's name?', and so on. With that said, I think your opinion is mostly agreeable, my only point is simply that more customization is not always a net-positive.
Some people don't care about the story or good writing - they just want to be able to play the mini versions of themselves, I guess.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
But you're talking about incest games, specifically those that have characters that look and act under 18. In those games, there are players who want an incest kink and want to have the characters' ages reflect the actual characters. Then there of those who don't want any of that. So the developer allows choices, even though you know what the developer wants to portray, and is only allowing those choices to get past Patreon restrictions.

However, I think you know that none of that applies to this game. There is no reason to suspect that any character in this game is under 18. Nor does it seem that Alice is related to any other character in the game.

By the way, I completely agree with your 'Alliecat' reference. While that reference could be made configurable, the result for each player would unlikely be as fitting as that one. If I renamed Alice to Natalie, I could easily come up with Nat or Nattie as a nickname, but Nattiecat (or anything else I could think up) from Tom just wouldn't cut it.

Back

Aug 3, 2017
I think there was a health issue.
The dev just got over one. Was there another she mentioned following the one with her jaw?
But yeah, the radio silence is starting to be concerning; though, I feel we're not quite there yet.

SpyderArachnid

Jul 31, 2017
It's only been a month since their last post on Patreon. I wouldn't be too worried at the moment. Now when it reaches 2-3 months, then start worrying lol.

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
It's only been a month since their last post on Patreon. I wouldn't be too worried at the moment. Now when it reaches 2-3 months, then start worrying lol.
Yes but she was planning to release the update at the end of october or 1st week of november. Patrons need to know if something went wrong. She made a post on instagram 1 week ago (not related to the game)

4.20 star(s) 103 Votes