river333

Aug 20, 2021
Remember playing this game before it was long abandoned. Would like to keep this game going and possibly port it to renpy as thats when I have most experience in. If thats something people would be interested in then I'll get to work finding the main things like models, scene locations etc. Either that I'll try to make something thats similar to game like this but still has its own quirks/storyline. Would like to know if people are interested in this?

LeakAngel

Milk junky
Donor
Jun 20, 2018
Remember playing this game before it was long abandoned. Would like to keep this game going and possibly port it to renpy as thats when I have most experience in. If thats something people would be interested in then I'll get to work finding the main things like models, scene locations etc. Either that I'll try to make something thats similar to game like this but still has its own quirks/storyline. Would like to know if people are interested in this?
I would like a continuation of this game. Do mind that I think most of us were in for the story so the porting to ren'py shouldn't be an issue but story writing will if it's not on par with the previous work. I haven't played it in years so I don't remember the exact level of writing but it was at least pleasant to read ;)

And expect to start from the bottom since most people have forgotten about this game.

river333

Aug 20, 2021
Good to see people are interested in the game being picked back up. While I understand the game in abandonded, it still feels a bit iffy continuing someone elses work. I'm currently in the process of replaying the game thoroughly and making notes on notable things from the story. I have a lot of thinking to do but would love to know what everyone else thinks just so I can gather a consensus on how best to move forward.

kurosx

Oct 1, 2017
It is some years that I have played this, but iirc there was some kind of mysterious background story hinted. But we do not know what exactly that may have been, so you either have to omit it completely (what would unground the game imo), or have to come with something similar, whatever that may be.

Matt1245

Apr 8, 2020
Good to see people are interested in the game being picked back up. While I understand the game in abandonded, it still feels a bit iffy continuing someone elses work. I'm currently in the process of replaying the game thoroughly and making notes on notable things from the story. I have a lot of thinking to do but would love to know what everyone else thinks just so I can gather a consensus on how best to move forward.
Normally you would contact the creator and get their permission before continuing their work. If you aren't able to to get their permission, then you need to choose between doing it anyway or starting something new.

Starting something new is pretty simple. However, it will take a lot more work.

Continuing it anyway is less work, but it carries the risk for a lot of drama. Like, would you be able to put this on Steam and be rewarded there for your work? Would you receive harassment from fans for "ruining" the game?

Honestly, I and a lot of other people would be happy if this game was finished. However, if you have the patience and passion, then making your own game would be more rewarding in the long run.

LeakAngel

Milk junky
Donor
Jun 20, 2018
I would recommend trying to reach out to the original dev as they might give you permission but more importantly, they may also give you some direction on how they expected to develop the game, or even better some kind of design plan, assets and files.

Without this, picking up the game could prove quite hard: it's an old game, probably using old versions of softwares and someone else's code. You could also trigger some harassment from fans or people saying it's not real work and you shouldn't be paid for it (unless it's an official agreement for example)

From my point of view, if you can get an agreement from the original dev (or buy from him the rights) to use the assets, then it's easier to pick the game where he left it. Otherwise, it's probably way easier to just start over with your own code, your own ideas. Mention the game is inspired by Lust Man Standing by Endless Taboo and try to stick to a V1 close to the existing content so people can actually compare and decide if it's worth following to "replace" it.

Having your own game makes it easier not only from a development POV, it's also easier to advertize and if you plan on being serious about it, man it's worth the hassle when the fanbase comes for YOUR work and not because you used existing stuff.
If you can create assets (meaning characters, design etc.) close to Lust Man Standing with a similar-sounding story, it should work. Feel free to explore your own ideas for the scenario, you have a great story to start with, I'm sure it will inspire you to write more ;)

3.20 star(s) 55 Votes