RPGM Abandoned Malise And The Machine [v0.0511] [Eromancer]

3.70 star(s) 9 Votes

Jokey123

Jul 27, 2017
Eromancer posted

March Progress Update!

Hey everyone!

We’re less than three weeks out from the Battle Test 2 release, so this update is not be quite as lengthy as our usual ones. We still need up to a week or so to get Battle Test 3 (BT3) ready, so the plan is to release it for the $3 tier at the beginning of April and we’ll finally be back to posting monthly updates at the beginning of the month. The good news is Ubercharge completed the battle/portrait lighting rig that we intend to use throughout the game, and I’ll be using it to light the portraits for BT3. The results are better than our previous ones (you’ll find an example below), and it takes far less time to configure. Some other big news is that we’ve updated all of Malise’s base files (we had a pretty huge list of fixes piling up) and in doing so took some time to improve upon lingering cosmetic issues / act on feedback we’ve received. The result is a new face, a slew of body fixes, material edits, and new hair. Here’s the list of topics for this post (I’ve updated these sections since the last IC update):

• Malise Updates Part 1
  • Malise Updates Part 2
  • Ubercharge’s Battle / Portrait Lighting System
  • H Artwork / New Processing Test
  • AltairPL’s Coding Progress Update
  • Ubercharge’s Map Progress
  • To Do List

Malise Updates Part 1

TK and I went through probably three different variations of Malise after Battle Test 2, and it’s been both very frustrating and a solid learning experience in how to manage stylization with the new art style. Our most realistic version, which we put three days into, but simply didn’t mesh with the body, hair, or other characters. While that sucked, it did help me to learn what features work with our style and what doesn’t. For the past few weeks I’ve been studying artists like and (League of Legends), as I think segments of their work are approximately the level of stylization we need for faces/bodies. At any rate, our work resulted in quite a few changes.

Below you can check out the new face model, as well as the more realistic one we passed on. The most obvious change is probably the much better eye shape. You can also expect better facial expressions once we’re done.

There were also a host of changes/fixes to the body. The biggest difference however is probably the hair, which I know some people felt was too plain. One especially good thing about the new hair is that it should be much easier to pose.

Lastly showing the (almost) finished face. The hair wasn’t done yet when these were captured. Please let me know what you think!

Malise Updates Part 2

Since we revealed the above changes last week to the Inner Circle crowd we’ve done some additional work, and I’ve rendered a new set of images to illustrate some of these as well as show some expressions on the new face.

(no processing, these are straight from the viewport).

And here’s the list of edits:

• I’ve finalized the hair material edits.
  • We’ve further sculpted the hair and bangs (sharpened the points and tried to make the bangs look more natural and mesh better with the new ponytail by messing em up a bit). Check it out in the images below.
  • Finished a set of fixes for her mouth and teeth position, which were making expressions with an open mouth generally weird.
  • We’ve completed other miscellaneous fixes such as and that I’ve expertly hidden until now :D (I think).
  • TK re-rigged the holsters, which now work perfectly ( ).
  • Improved skin glossiness and sub-surface scattering
  • TK has completed the transfer of suit morphs/configurations to the new body shape.
  • Forgot to mention this previously, but the suit’s highlights will be subtler and less distracting with its new material, but still be obviously shiny.

Ubercharge’s Battle / Portrait Lighting System

The goal of system is to simplify the battle lighting process so we don’t need to move lights around for every environment (something really time consuming as you saw from our work on Battle Release 2). To accomplish this, the vast majority of lighting for portraits and battle artwork will be done in post. .

The system works by using . When I render out a battle portrait, I simply have to render each light group individually, and then I’m done with that portrait for good. This will also work for enemies. Then, using Uber’s black magic, we can actually blend those light groups’ intensities and color in post to create lighting for any environment we may come up with in the future. All three of the very different lighting examples in the image linked above were generated with the same set of renders. Eventually we may even be able to do this in-game in real-time, which will cut down on the hard drive space required for portraits by a ton.

, which will use the new lighting rig as an opportunity for me to get some practice with it.

H Artwork / New Processing Test

I’ve started working on some H artwork and took a couple tests to completion. I’ll likely be putting these together intermittently over the next few weeks and hopefully by the time we need them I’ll have a full H skill chain or two ready for one of the releases.

I’ve also been testing out some new processing effects, including depth of field and chromatic aberration, both of which are present in the above images. Uber taught me how to add depth of field entirely in post, which is a pretty great benefit of the 32-bit workflow. I’m using the chromatic aberration (color bleed around the edges) effect largely to add to the retro film vibe. I’m considering carrying this and elsewhere now that we can blend effects better.

AltairPL’s Coding Progress Update

If you saw the Inner Circle updates this month, skip to the “***” symbol for the new stuff.

Just before I decided to take a break from the battle engine overhaul, which resulted in URGE’s conception, I made 2 serious mistakes. I left the targeting system untouched AND I made no notes or comments about it. Both came back to haunt me when we started releasing Battle Tests... the 1st Battle Test had some serious issues with invalid actions being performed, and the 2nd one was riddled with similar unwanted behavior, mostly caused or made apparent by fixes for issues from Battle Test 1. What a mess...

The only thing I could do in a situation like this was to finally rewrite the targeting system, but after starting this, I've learned that all action progression was depending on more or less vanilla RPG Maker behavior and some other wrong assumptions. So, the only choice I had was to redesign and recode the whole action progression with new target determination in mind.

The new design was relatively simple on paper, but actually coding its prototype required some pretty nifty work. I must admit I'm very happy with both the speed and the results. Suffice to say, just this one thing eradicated most of the current problems with in-battle actions. The new system is not only less buggy and more stable, but also allows for some additional action features to be implemented, including one or two already done or planned. Also, while implementing it, I've made a lot of notes about things that may require some more attention sooner or later - possible death-traps (including stuff actually related to character/enemy death), things to optimize, good places for planned features and so on.

A lot of work, but well worth the effort and time. It still needs a lot more work and testing, but after a while I got fed up with it, and since Ero required assistance with something entirely different, I've changed gears for a while.

What Ero needed from me was some answers about how well the engine handles diagonal stairs. As some of you remember, the last time those were used in a game was in the “Old Town” maps from v0.02 (area with Splicers and Stigmata), which was a long time ago. In the Old Town maps, diagonal stairs were handled by a 3rd party script, which did its job, but was extremely limiting and a bit clunky. On top of that, it's nowhere near being compatible with my implementation of map levels/layers, so I needed to code it more or less from scratch. Problem here was that stairs are pretty much a part of movement code, which was in shambles and needed to be dealt with before I even started adding to it. Fortunately, I made some conceptual design of stairs mechanics pretty quickly and gave Ero his answers, so he and Uber could continue working on maps with stairs while I revamped the code needed to handle it. Suffice to say, all movement code was updated, some hard-coded things were replaced with more dynamic counterparts, a lot of stuff got cleaned up and better organized and diagonal stairs are now fully functional.

After finishing the stairs/movement stuff, I needed a short break from coding. Since some things related to battle still require some kind of overhaul, I've spent a few days on writing a short novel detailing what and how they need to be done – it should help a lot when the time to actually overhaul them comes.

With this out of the way, I turned my attention back to the battle stuff. The first thing after getting back to coding was to implement the sprite layering system required for bloom and HDR processing - gonna spare you the gory details. Portraits should look much better in Battle Test 3, with hopefully not too big a performance price to pay.

The next thing on the agenda is the aforementioned "notes about things that may require some more attention sooner or later". It's my current work-in-progress, but I'm already very glad I started doing it now, because it helped me to eradicate one critical issue I thought was limited only to holds, but as it happens, could occur pretty much for every action. I really hope this will finally make the battle engine rock-solid.

Ubercharge’s Map Progress

Eromancer here again. I helped Uber out with a block-out diagram for his new map, for which he intends to use his procedural shaders that I showed off during the monthly update. He just got to the point where he is able to test them out, but so far it looks like they will perform great. Once he got it working -- no texturing or UV mapping required.

Here’s a set of images showing his progress from the initial block-out stage to the mostly finished geometry (still needs to add props).

To Do List

Here is a broad version of our to-do list for the next few weeks. I’ll probably add one of these more often from here on out. I’ve checked off stuff we’ve completed since the last Inner Circle update.

Eromancer

• COMPLETE: Some remaining Malise hair edits
  • IN PROGRESS: Update Malise battle portraits with her new version
  • IN PROGRESS: Create upper body exposed portrait versions once TK has the suit ready
  • COMPLETE: Work with Uber to recreate his battle/portrait lighting rig in Daz
  • Continue experimenting with Police H skill artwork
  • Calibrate Daz lights for HDR processing (currently doing this in post and it’s resulting in degraded dynamic range)
  • IN PROGRESS: HDR processing on Neon/Malise’s new portraits. I learned batch processing in the program we’re using for this and completed Neon’s portraits, but may do them over with Uber’s battle rig lighting (shouldn’t take long since it’s all procedural).
TK

• COMPLETE: Update Malise’s Maya scenes to reflect the new body edits
  • COMPLETE: Transfer updates to alternate suit configurations (zipper open, etc)
AltaiPL

• COMPLETE: Implement sprite layering system required for bloom and HDR processing
  • IN PROGRESS: Continue work on battle engine
Ubercharge

• COMPLETE: Finish battle and portrait lighting rig in Maya
  • IN PROGRESS: Continue work on maps ( )
Post BT3

• Paint Malise armor damage concepts for TK
  • TK and Uber to begin sculpting / implementation for Malise’s armor damage
  • Enty launch
  • Update Neon and her base scene files / prepare Neon's armor damage
  • Help Ubercharge with Splicer overhaul
  • Start Ven overhaul(?)

Jun 30, 2017
With current progression and my calculation. We will have game next three months, or even four months. But well if Eror serious about release the game it is worth waiting though ^^

malodorous

Dec 28, 2016
yo thanks for the update dude, looks good.

one tiny thing: is there actually two test h artworks? they both link to the same page

I’ve started working on some H artwork and took a couple tests to completion. I’ll likely be putting these together intermittently over the next few weeks and hopefully by the time we need them I’ll have a full H skill chain or two ready for one of the releases.

Reactions: Jokey123

dd209

Aug 2, 2017
yo thanks for the update dude, looks good.

one tiny thing: is there actually two test h artworks? they both link to the same page
Only h-tests I've seen are A: Malise forced to blow a cop with her suit zipped up and B: the same image but with her suit unzipped and breasts exposed.

Reactions: malodorous

malodorous

Dec 28, 2016
Only h-tests I've seen are A: Malise forced to blow a cop with her suit zipped up and B: the same image but with her suit unzipped and breasts exposed.
ah ok thanks. do you have the link to the first one then? both of the ones above are the exposed one lol

petromonium

May 20, 2017
Eromancer posted

March Progress Update!

Hey everyone!

We’re less than three weeks out from the Battle Test 2 release, so this update is not be quite as lengthy as our usual ones. We still need up to a week or so to get Battle Test 3 (BT3) ready, so the plan is to release it for the $3 tier at the beginning of April and we’ll finally be back to posting monthly updates at the beginning of the month. The good news is Ubercharge completed the battle/portrait lighting rig that we intend to use throughout the game, and I’ll be using it to light the portraits for BT3. The results are better than our previous ones (you’ll find an example below), and it takes far less time to configure. Some other big news is that we’ve updated all of Malise’s base files (we had a pretty huge list of fixes piling up) and in doing so took some time to improve upon lingering cosmetic issues / act on feedback we’ve received. The result is a new face, a slew of body fixes, material edits, and new hair. Here’s the list of topics for this post (I’ve updated these sections since the last IC update):

• Malise Updates Part 1
  • Malise Updates Part 2
  • Ubercharge’s Battle / Portrait Lighting System
  • H Artwork / New Processing Test
  • AltairPL’s Coding Progress Update
  • Ubercharge’s Map Progress
  • To Do List

Malise Updates Part 1

TK and I went through probably three different variations of Malise after Battle Test 2, and it’s been both very frustrating and a solid learning experience in how to manage stylization with the new art style. Our most realistic version, which we put three days into, but simply didn’t mesh with the body, hair, or other characters. While that sucked, it did help me to learn what features work with our style and what doesn’t. For the past few weeks I’ve been studying artists like and (League of Legends), as I think segments of their work are approximately the level of stylization we need for faces/bodies. At any rate, our work resulted in quite a few changes.

Below you can check out the new face model, as well as the more realistic one we passed on. The most obvious change is probably the much better eye shape. You can also expect better facial expressions once we’re done.

There were also a host of changes/fixes to the body. The biggest difference however is probably the hair, which I know some people felt was too plain. One especially good thing about the new hair is that it should be much easier to pose.

Lastly showing the (almost) finished face. The hair wasn’t done yet when these were captured. Please let me know what you think!

Malise Updates Part 2

Since we revealed the above changes last week to the Inner Circle crowd we’ve done some additional work, and I’ve rendered a new set of images to illustrate some of these as well as show some expressions on the new face.

(no processing, these are straight from the viewport).

And here’s the list of edits:

• I’ve finalized the hair material edits.
  • We’ve further sculpted the hair and bangs (sharpened the points and tried to make the bangs look more natural and mesh better with the new ponytail by messing em up a bit). Check it out in the images below.
  • Finished a set of fixes for her mouth and teeth position, which were making expressions with an open mouth generally weird.
  • We’ve completed other miscellaneous fixes such as and that I’ve expertly hidden until now :D (I think).
  • TK re-rigged the holsters, which now work perfectly ( ).
  • Improved skin glossiness and sub-surface scattering
  • TK has completed the transfer of suit morphs/configurations to the new body shape.
  • Forgot to mention this previously, but the suit’s highlights will be subtler and less distracting with its new material, but still be obviously shiny.

Ubercharge’s Battle / Portrait Lighting System

The goal of system is to simplify the battle lighting process so we don’t need to move lights around for every environment (something really time consuming as you saw from our work on Battle Release 2). To accomplish this, the vast majority of lighting for portraits and battle artwork will be done in post. .

The system works by using . When I render out a battle portrait, I simply have to render each light group individually, and then I’m done with that portrait for good. This will also work for enemies. Then, using Uber’s black magic, we can actually blend those light groups’ intensities and color in post to create lighting for any environment we may come up with in the future. All three of the very different lighting examples in the image linked above were generated with the same set of renders. Eventually we may even be able to do this in-game in real-time, which will cut down on the hard drive space required for portraits by a ton.

, which will use the new lighting rig as an opportunity for me to get some practice with it.

I’ve also been testing out some new processing effects, including depth of field and chromatic aberration, both of which are present in the above images. Uber taught me how to add depth of field entirely in post, which is a pretty great benefit of the 32-bit workflow. I’m using the chromatic aberration (color bleed around the edges) effect largely to add to the retro film vibe. I’m considering carrying this and elsewhere now that we can blend effects better.

AltairPL’s Coding Progress Update

If you saw the Inner Circle updates this month, skip to the “***” symbol for the new stuff.

Just before I decided to take a break from the battle engine overhaul, which resulted in URGE’s conception, I made 2 serious mistakes. I left the targeting system untouched AND I made no notes or comments about it. Both came back to haunt me when we started releasing Battle Tests... the 1st Battle Test had some serious issues with invalid actions being performed, and the 2nd one was riddled with similar unwanted behavior, mostly caused or made apparent by fixes for issues from Battle Test 1. What a mess...

The only thing I could do in a situation like this was to finally rewrite the targeting system, but after starting this, I've learned that all action progression was depending on more or less vanilla RPG Maker behavior and some other wrong assumptions. So, the only choice I had was to redesign and recode the whole action progression with new target determination in mind.

The new design was relatively simple on paper, but actually coding its prototype required some pretty nifty work. I must admit I'm very happy with both the speed and the results. Suffice to say, just this one thing eradicated most of the current problems with in-battle actions. The new system is not only less buggy and more stable, but also allows for some additional action features to be implemented, including one or two already done or planned. Also, while implementing it, I've made a lot of notes about things that may require some more attention sooner or later - possible death-traps (including stuff actually related to character/enemy death), things to optimize, good places for planned features and so on.

A lot of work, but well worth the effort and time. It still needs a lot more work and testing, but after a while I got fed up with it, and since Ero required assistance with something entirely different, I've changed gears for a while.

What Ero needed from me was some answers about how well the engine handles diagonal stairs. As some of you remember, the last time those were used in a game was in the “Old Town” maps from v0.02 (area with Splicers and Stigmata), which was a long time ago. In the Old Town maps, diagonal stairs were handled by a 3rd party script, which did its job, but was extremely limiting and a bit clunky. On top of that, it's nowhere near being compatible with my implementation of map levels/layers, so I needed to code it more or less from scratch. Problem here was that stairs are pretty much a part of movement code, which was in shambles and needed to be dealt with before I even started adding to it. Fortunately, I made some conceptual design of stairs mechanics pretty quickly and gave Ero his answers, so he and Uber could continue working on maps with stairs while I revamped the code needed to handle it. Suffice to say, all movement code was updated, some hard-coded things were replaced with more dynamic counterparts, a lot of stuff got cleaned up and better organized and diagonal stairs are now fully functional.

After finishing the stairs/movement stuff, I needed a short break from coding. Since some things related to battle still require some kind of overhaul, I've spent a few days on writing a short novel detailing what and how they need to be done – it should help a lot when the time to actually overhaul them comes.

With this out of the way, I turned my attention back to the battle stuff. The first thing after getting back to coding was to implement the sprite layering system required for bloom and HDR processing - gonna spare you the gory details. Portraits should look much better in Battle Test 3, with hopefully not too big a performance price to pay.

The next thing on the agenda is the aforementioned "notes about things that may require some more attention sooner or later". It's my current work-in-progress, but I'm already very glad I started doing it now, because it helped me to eradicate one critical issue I thought was limited only to holds, but as it happens, could occur pretty much for every action. I really hope this will finally make the battle engine rock-solid.

Ubercharge’s Map Progress

Eromancer here again. I helped Uber out with a block-out diagram for his new map, for which he intends to use his procedural shaders that I showed off during the monthly update. He just got to the point where he is able to test them out, but so far it looks like they will perform great. Once he got it working -- no texturing or UV mapping required.

Here’s a set of images showing his progress from the initial block-out stage to the mostly finished geometry (still needs to add props).

To Do List

Here is a broad version of our to-do list for the next few weeks. I’ll probably add one of these more often from here on out. I’ve checked off stuff we’ve completed since the last Inner Circle update.

Eromancer

• COMPLETE: Some remaining Malise hair edits
  • IN PROGRESS: Update Malise battle portraits with her new version
  • IN PROGRESS: Create upper body exposed portrait versions once TK has the suit ready
  • COMPLETE: Work with Uber to recreate his battle/portrait lighting rig in Daz
  • Continue experimenting with Police H skill artwork
  • Calibrate Daz lights for HDR processing (currently doing this in post and it’s resulting in degraded dynamic range)
  • IN PROGRESS: HDR processing on Neon/Malise’s new portraits. I learned batch processing in the program we’re using for this and completed Neon’s portraits, but may do them over with Uber’s battle rig lighting (shouldn’t take long since it’s all procedural).
TK

• COMPLETE: Update Malise’s Maya scenes to reflect the new body edits
  • COMPLETE: Transfer updates to alternate suit configurations (zipper open, etc)
AltaiPL

• COMPLETE: Implement sprite layering system required for bloom and HDR processing
  • IN PROGRESS: Continue work on battle engine
Ubercharge

• COMPLETE: Finish battle and portrait lighting rig in Maya
  • IN PROGRESS: Continue work on maps ( )
Post BT3

• Paint Malise armor damage concepts for TK
  • TK and Uber to begin sculpting / implementation for Malise’s armor damage
  • Enty launch
  • Update Neon and her base scene files / prepare Neon's armor damage
  • Help Ubercharge with Splicer overhaul
  • Start Ven overhaul(?)

thanks a lot! you're awesome!!!

Reactions: Jokey123

156_163_146_167

Engaged Member
Jun 5, 2017
Thanks a lot, @Jokey123 for posting that update.

It may just be me, but it seems that they are really pouring too much time and effort into the little things. The improvements you see in this update compared to the last one are minimal, and not that significant. Especially looking at Malise her model. How long are they going to spend on her, anyway? When's enough? And there's still another main character in the game.

I wonder if they've ever heard of the 80/20 rule. Because I think they've long passed that 80% done threshold, and are now putting a lot of time into getting that remaining 20% they way they want it.

stoper

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
This is turning into the Star Citizen of porn games.
If all CI were showing was concept art and character models and re-models. They actually have playable modules and their development is very transparent.
Oh, and one more little thing - they are not a scam scheme! Just a little detail.

Reactions: Adoringfan

FishboneGamingLabs

Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
I've seen a very bad habit developed when people horde around and start bashing developers and call them scammers.
As far as I'm concerned they still post updates and new stuff about their development, they switched the game engine and while that seems easy is actually complicated when you have to port forward most of the old game plugins.

They provide a lot of details only to keep people assured they work on it with every post they make, which I think just looking at the size of the wall text and the pictures/videos they provide it takes to write only that like one full day... One full day which might be better used to work on the game instead of trying to keep their fans without rioting.

They show a lot of concept art, but they also show pieces of development stages, video, parts from real game interfaces so I have absolutely no doubt whatever they are doing is legit and they are actively working on it.

Is just sad to see rude people on the other side bitching day after day just because they don't receive a game to which probably they never contributed/supported development and just expect it as a free download.

156_163_146_167

Engaged Member
Jun 5, 2017
They provide a lot of details only to keep people assured they work on it with every post they make, which I think just looking at the size of the wall text and the pictures/videos they provide it takes to write only that like one full day... One full day which might be better used to work on the game instead of trying to keep their fans without rioting.
Sure, they provide a lot of details. IF you're a patron of theirs. I agree with the people that say that updates on the game should not be something you have to pay for.

And no, I don't think that an update like that takes a day to write. An hour, tops, but not a full day. And if they are documenting their work properly, a write-up like that should come naturally as you make the changes.

I don't think they're doing nothing, but the work that they are doing could be spent much more efficiently. Like I said in my last comment, they have been working on Malise her model for how long now exactly? I would much rather have them work on everything up to an acceptable level so they have something to show, instead of trying to get everything perfect the first time.

Reactions: Eigenvalue

Dracis3D

Game Developer
Nov 16, 2017
I've seen a very bad habit developed when people horde around and start bashing developers and call them scammers.
As far as I'm concerned they still post updates and new stuff about their development, they switched the game engine and while that seems easy is actually complicated when you have to port forward most of the old game plugins.
It is always hard to tell if a game developer is a scammer or not, but Eromancer is still taking $7k per month (often a lot more) and there is not a game out there. If you count at least 2 years at that pay rate, it is a good amount.

The below is a post from 2014, what I find most dissapointing (in general) is that this game back in 2014 was breaking barriers in terms of quality. I wished that Eromancer would have finished what he started, rather than going back to the drawing board. A second title could have benefited from the better graphics, but I still like the old ones.

FishboneGamingLabs

Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
@156_163_146_167 yes, but they do choose to do that only with people believing in their work and supporting them. Providing monthly updates of the progress is not something most companies would do anyway, most keep silence the whole project and never leak anything. Sure, for indie studios things are different when you need backing, but again, this is their choice.

I can assure you that writing a post showing the game progress could take a lot of time that could be spent doing real development. An hour? No way... try to do it and you will see how many times you will return editing the original post, how many time you would like the rephrase something, and so on.
And why would you think they are documenting their work properly? Maybe they work in a full chaotically style, as a developer if you start documenting everything then you will have less time to try new things and develop new stuff.

I agree they work on some models beyond my understanding, they are doing changes they trump as being fantastic improvements and they show new/old pictures comparison and I look at the images 10 times and I see no difference and don't understand what they are talking about, and I feel they lost a lot of time for something that was already looking top notch anyway, so why bother? But is their decision to do that, they can rework over and over again until they as developers are happy with how it turns out.[/QUOTE]

... but Eromancer is still taking $7k per month (often a lot more) and there is not a game out there. If you count at least 2 years at that pay rate, it is a good amount.
I don't think that is an argument, and don't think it should mater how much money somebody makes. That is their problem/not ours. Everybody is free to run their own business, their own company, projects, etc. How much money they are making should be seen as a motivation for us maybe. They could also live in different parts of the world where money could value more or less than in other parts. You could live a mediocre life style with 10.000 USD in some parts of the world while living like a king in other parts with only 1000USD a month.

The below is a post from 2014, what I find most dissapointing (in general) is that this game back in 2014 was breaking barriers in terms of quality. I wished that Eromancer would have finished what he started, rather than going back to the drawing board. A second title could have benefited from the better graphics, but I still like the old ones.
They had a good start back then, but expectations and the quality bar quickly raised over the time. The original game was done in RPG Maker VX Ace? which by now is obsolete. They were forced probably I assume to switch to RPG Maker MV to keep up with updated plugins, Pixi graphics acceleration, higher resolution, improved parallax mapping, etc.
That takes a huge pie of development time, estimating is one thing, actually delivery of a working game is something totally different. Is a catch game that many falls as victims.

Cheers!

stoper

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Oh, the poor developer being treated bad by rude pirates like me while working his ass off for more than a year to switch from VX to MV. Go give him more of your money, the game is coming any day now.

Oct 16, 2017
But is their decision to do that, they can rework over and over again until they as developers are happy with how it turns out.[/USER]
Of course it is, it's their project. But they can't reasonably expect the general public to believe in them or offer their monetary support when they not only endlessly rework things as you pointed out, but continue to hide even minor progress reports behind a paywall. As I have pointed out multiple times, this is an easy problem to solve, they simply choose not to. Just post an abbreviated update to a public source such as their blog. It would even get them more funding, which is what makes it suspicious to me that they don't. Especially when Eromancer complains of having to put his own money into the project.

They had a good start back then, but expectations and the quality bar quickly raised over the time. The original game was done in RPG Maker VX Ace? which by now is obsolete. They were forced probably I assume to switch to RPG Maker MV to keep up with updated plugins, Pixi graphics acceleration, higher resolution, improved parallax mapping, etc.
That takes a huge pie of development time, estimating is one thing, actually delivery of a working game is something totally different. Is a catch game that many falls as victims.
As far as I know they did not switch to MV. They were doing heavy scripting and MV is an entirely different programming language (javascript vs ruby). I think it's more like they were basically making their own engine from the VX Ace framework. And yes, that would take time, but Eromancer hired a dedicated programmer early on, it's not like it was something he had to do himself.

Reactions: 156_163_146_167
Jun 30, 2017
Oh, the poor developer being treated bad by rude pirates like me while working his ass off for more than a year to switch from VX to MV. Go give him more of your money, the game is coming any day now.
More accurately, they lack solid object for people to believe, remember even those image can be fake, and with that kind of time they take many people would take wall of word at face value. Those Battle Test is a step forward, but not too much.

FishboneGamingLabs

Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
Fake like what? I've seen a couple of images lately that pretty much resembles Malise, a girl with two guns and suit. So what can be fake in that?

3.70 star(s) 9 Votes