Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
You know, what the problem here is?
View attachment 280444
Wine Staging 3.19 gives me this:
WINEPREFIX=~/.moth wine "man of the house.exe"
wine: invalid directory ~/.moth in WINEPREFIX: not an absolute path

Maybe that's a different message for the same error, changed in 4.x? Try an absolute path.

thanks! that helps. now on another step, it says to cd to the location of winetricks, where can i find winetricks? I don't recall getting or installing winetricks?
@Sycho the link to winetricks in the installation guide isn't a link. It should be this:

Edtorious, save that page as a file called "winetricks".

Reactions: edtorious

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018

Maybe that's a different message for the same error, changed in 4.x? Try an absolute path.

@Sycho the link to winetricks in the installation guide isn't a link. It should be this:

Edtorious, save that page as a file called "winetricks".
I'm trying to locate it now in under the Mac installation guide, but I'm not seeing it (the link that is - or the incorrect link) unless I'm overlooking the obvious?

EDIT

I added a link to it on number 5 in the guide.

EDIT
Minor change in revision (see second image).

Reactions: edtorious

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I'm trying to locate it now in under the Mac installation guide, but I'm not seeing it (the link that is - or the incorrect link) unless I'm overlooking the obvious?

EDIT

I added a link to it on number 5 in the guide.

EDIT
Minor change in revision (see second image).
Great, thanks!

Reactions: Sycho

edtorious

Aug 29, 2018
Thanks for the help @goobdoob and @Sycho it works now but the only thing I can't figure out is the Mac command script to launch MotH under wine step. I downloaded the script and unzipped it to my desktop. This is the part I do not understand (You will need to edit it with the location of Wine Staging, or use Wine Staging 3.19 and put it in /Applications (the default installation location)). Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks.

Reactions: Sycho

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Thanks for the help @goobdoob and @Sycho it works now but the only thing I can't figure out is the Mac command script to launch MotH under wine step. I downloaded the script and unzipped it to my desktop. This is the part I do not understand (You will need to edit it with the location of Wine Staging, or use Wine Staging 3.19 and put it in /Applications (the default installation location)). Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks.
The script is a text file. It assumes a certain location for Wine:
wine_install="/Applications/Wine Staging 3.19.app"

If that's not where your Wine app is, change that line to be the path and filename of your Wine app.

The script should sit in the MotH folder, right next to the .exe.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
You get this message, because you do not have a (new) Wineprefix named ".moth" in your $home directory.

We tried 3.19 staging and 4.0 as well. He gets the same messages even with the default config.

Do you have a terminal command which can delete wine with all his folders and files on a Mac?

@Sycho @goobdoob
winetricks.png
You can either save it as file named winetricks or install it via Homebrew.

Using Homebrew (brew install winetricks) a file named winetricks will be saved in usr/local (or was it usr/bin :unsure: - really don't know where it is on a Mac!).

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
You get this message, because you do not have a (new) Wineprefix named ".moth" in your $home directory.

We tried 3.19 staging and 4.0 as well. He gets the same messages even with the default config.

Do you have a terminal command which can delete wine with all his folders and files on a Mac?

@Sycho @goobdoob
View attachment 280920
You can either save it as file named winetricks or install it via Homebrew.

Using Homebrew (brew install winetricks) a file named winetricks will be saved in usr/local (or was it usr/bin :unsure: - really don't know where it is on a Mac!).
There's this secret command to delete stuff called "rm" :). Delete the app and the wine config directory separately; nothing like the Linux package management stuff. There are installers/uninstallers, but they're not used for Wine. OK, Wine can use an installer, but short answer is no.

Using an absolute path for WINEPREFIX worked for me. I was able to launch MotH; it created the new prefix in ~/.moth. Try $HOME/.moth instead of ~/.moth. Of course, it didn't have corefonts or the video stuff since I didn't install those, but MotH ran.

I haven't used brew to install winetricks, so I don't know what that does.

Johnny6

Feb 18, 2018
You're welcome. Whenever you're ready, let me know.
It finally working and by accident. Yesterday I watched hockey game and attach my laptop to TV with HDMI cable. At the break I check whats new on F95 and saw Moth so I decided to give it the last chance, I run it as an admin, hockey game went silent and the game start. After hockey match I removed the cable and try the game and get same errors when I last time asking help. Attach HDMI again and the game runs perfectly, during the game I can remove the cable and it works fine. Now I'm thinkig why I can't start game without the cable.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Attach HDMI again and the game runs perfectly, during the game I can remove the cable and it works fine. Now I'm thinkig why I can't start game without the cable.
This sounds like a configuration or driver problem to me. Recently we got a few people with Gaming Laptops and AMD Graphics Card, who had problems to play the game.

Pls. share more information about your System etc.

Johnny6

Feb 18, 2018
This sounds like a configuration or driver problem to me. Recently we got a few people with Gaming Laptops and AMD Graphics Card, who had problems to play the game.

Pls. share more information about your System etc.
I have Lenovo G510, core i7-4700 cpu 2.40ghz, 6gt ram, intel hd graphics 4600

BiggusDikkus

Jan 5, 2018
Did you install quartz, devenum and ffdshow or K-lite codec pack? Are you familiar with terminal commands?
I am familiar with using the command line. No I haven't installed any of those codec packs. I will look into it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I am familiar with using the command line. No I haven't installed any of those codec packs. I will look into it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
not sure about Mint but open terminal and type: [the command is for the default .wine folder, if you use a different prefix you have to use the right prefix then]

Code:
winetricks corefonts quartz devenum ffdshow

if you use a differnet wineprefix:

WINEPREFIX=~/.[your_folder] winetricks corefonts quartz devenum ffdshow
Make sure you have a 32bit prefix, because quatz no longer works in a 64bit prefix.

Afterwards use "winecfg" command and switch to tab libraries. Search for devenum, quartz and winegstreamer. Set devenum and quartz to natve and deactivate winegstreamer.

In tab graphic unmark window-decoration and allow a virtual desktop. Set the size of the virtual desktop to your preferred size.

This should be all.

BiggusDikkus

Jan 5, 2018
Did you install quartz, devenum and ffdshow or K-lite codec pack? Are you familiar with terminal commands?
I installed those codecs, followed your directions and now it locks up when the animation begins. I must have done something wrong.
I still appreciate your help though.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I installed those codecs, followed your directions and now it locks up when the animation begins. I must have done something wrong.
have you deactivated winegstreamer? Pls post the out put of:

winetricks quartz
winetricks devenum
thanks

Nerttu

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
Why you try to play games, witch are made for windows, if you have Mac and you haven`t a glue, how to do so ???? You are not onlyone !!!! Mac`s are for WORK and PC`s are for the fun, if you catch my drift !!!! :D(y)