Comics Collection Melissa N. Collection [2024-06-23] [Melissa N.]

rebirth095

Jul 25, 2021
I get where you're coming from. Everyone's immersion break point is different. I personally don't like those fictionmania stories where it's all "kazaam, now you are a fuckin sexy big boob bim" myself either. But I don't think they have no worth. I'm just some fat guy who likes wanking.

I think the break point between hot and jolting out is always different for everyone.

For example, the whole chastity thing. I have no experience with that at all, nor will I ever. It's a hot fantasy but if I ever tried it I'd chew down the fucking walls. Doesn't stop me from finding the idea of it hot, and if the story says it hides a bulge then I'm in. Now obviously that isn't your lived experience, so you can't jibe with that and it's admittedly an unrealistic story point. Does that mean that it shouldn't be there?
I think I'd put it as "I think including poorly researched content does a disservice to everyone involved, because as soon as scrutiny is applied, it breaks down. As such, authors are better off either doing some research, or not including details that could be easily refuted. Because people are over time made more aware of such inaccuracies, and you can't unlearn a fact."

Think about it like this: It's true that a majority of the readers of a chastity story will not have tried chastity themselves. It's part of the fantasy. But there's also gonna be a decent amount of people who are reading chastity stories because it's something they're a fan of and have had experience with. Look at what happened with my other examples: over time, the number of authors who had no clue how bra sizes worked. But over time, with either people calling out the silliness in reviews or having more authors with experience crossdressing/female authors, those mistakes are mostly a relic of the past.

And honestly, before chastity became a hot thing in TG stories, the go to was saying something like "special surgical glue" and gluing a gaff/prosthetics in place. Of course there's not a real world method for something like that. But by not getting too specific or at least paying lip service and acknowledging that this is something that only exists "in universe", I think you can have your cake and eat it too.

Even just referring to it as a "Special" Chastity Device would aid it more in its suspension of disbelief. If you're familiar with JesscaTG's work, one of their "inventions" is this "mound" like chastity device that by appearances would make sense why any bulge is concealed. And what was smart about it is that the artist hasn't gone into detail trying to explain how it works. We're taking as a given that this particular device works this way.

Or as another thought experiment: Think about the times you've read a story with a sex scene, and it was so immediately obvious that the author has never had sex or never performed that position (anal is a great example). And it's often not because they got details wrong, but because they can't go into details because they don't know any of those details. Chastity is often the same way. Wouldn't it be that much sexier if the author actually knew what they were talking about and were able communicate those sensations to you? I don't know about you, but a lot of what makes these stories hot for me isn't just the idea, but the details you get. How does it feel wearing a frilly thong as opposed to boxers? What's it like to have hairless legs for the first time? Even stuff like getting used to the buttons being on the other side.

True story: I'd been wearing women's pajamas for a while. Outside of the color, softer material, and buttons on the "wrong" side, they don't really look that much different from men's pajamas. But because of taking a long holiday and not having to go to work, I hadn't had to put on a man's button up shirt for a while. And when I did, I surprised myself as I was fumbling with the buttons, having accidentally "mentally feminized" my habits. Having details like that, especially accurate ones, make a story even hotter, at least in my opinion.

So to make an overly long story short: I'm not saying that stories with these kinds of mistakes shouldn't ever exist: How the hell can anyone learn if they don't write, make some mistakes, get corrected, and then iterate/improve? What I will say is that I encourage all authors and wannabe authors to do some due diligence, consider getting some experience, and be always looking for ways to improve.

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
True story: I'd been wearing women's pajamas for a while. Outside of the color, softer material, and buttons on the "wrong" side, they don't really look that much different from men's pajamas. But because of taking a long holiday and not having to go to work, I hadn't had to put on a man's button up shirt for a while. And when I did, I surprised myself as I was fumbling with the buttons, having accidentally "mentally feminized" my habits. Having details like that, especially accurate ones, make a story even hotter, at least in my opinion.
Hard agree.

...no pun intended. :p

misseva88

Jul 5, 2017
Totally get where you're coming from. It's funny, there's a few authors that have the most godawful grammer and writing in general, but they've come up with some kinky scenarios and role swaps that I do find hot.

I've made this rant before, so apologies for those that have already seen these talking points on the old forum.

For me, how distracting something is correlates to how much the story it into attention. For example, early fictionmania stories loved to talk about size 76ZZZ sized breasts and how walking in heels you should walk "toe-heel". It was silly nonsense that you could tell came from people who'd never bothered to do a google search or even have tried crossdressing themselves. To a similar extent, last few years I keep seeing sissification stories where it tries to justify how chastity is supposed to help hide a bulge in skin tight clothing. From first hand experience: No, it can't! Surprise surprise, you lock a hard, undeformable piece of plastic or metal around your ball sack: guess what's no longer flexible enough to tuck away?!

I get it: not everyone has the time, freedom, income, situation where they can actually experiment with what they're discussing. And I also totally get "rule of sexy". There should totally be breaks from reality to facilitate the erotic nature of the work. Of course in erotic fiction, men can get hard again immediately after cumming, everyone can coordinate their orgasms perfectly, and the plot seems to bend to get to the sex.

But my main gripe is the same one I apply to fantasy, scifi, or action movies. If you introduce something, you should be consistent about it. I don't care that it's not "realistic/physical possible" to dodge a bullet at super speed. But if you're gonna introduce that ability, then you damn well better not have that character get caught off guard by a regular human speed punch (or have a damn good justification for it). Or if you introduce a plot point, as an author, you're the one that decided to introduce that into continuity.

And if you do break from reality, it should be a conscious decision, not because you don't know how things actually work. Otherwise, to a person who does know how things do work, it can be distracting at best, and cringe at worst. In those instances, they would have been better off just skipping those details, rather than make it obvious that they have no idea what they're talking about (residual triggering from trying to correct Tokyo Bound, lol)

To be fair to MelissaN, most of my above complaints don't apply to her. Generally, it's the way she handles her characters and their motivations that dissapoint me. And not in the "I didn't find that sexy", as much as often the sexiness was imo sabotaged by missed opportunities. A (not) so temporary roomate has one of the (imo) hottest before and after transformations, but it ends with such a weird non-ending where Destiny just gets gaslit a bit more. Maybe it's just me, but I would have found it hotter if the story committed to an ending. Like if Destiny preferred men now and didn't care about getting back with Sara, or as a fuck you to Sara, Destiny admitted she liked being a woman and decided to tell Steve everything. Or as a fuck you to her family, Sara decided to re-seduce Destiny to screw over the brother she hates. I dunno, just something to show that outside of the physical progression, there was a point to this change.
I think the best way to illustrate what you're talking about is from How I Met Your Mother; .

With these stories being gender transformation stories there's always a bit of unrealism into things. It's not bad, sometimes odd things have to happen for a story to happen. I've said it before, but one of my favourite TG authors is czolgolz. His story has the hypnosis tape trope, plus it has the outdated idea that hormone effects are easily reversible. It doesn't matter though, as the story is very well written and the rules set in the story are adhered to.

I don't care much for the race change myself. I acknowledge it's a kink and it's one I'm not into. It's also why I don't comment on K-Pop Idol much, just like I didn't for Journey to the Unknown. Those stories have an audience and I'm not part of that audience.

SophieHart

Dec 8, 2023
F95 definitely prefers authors to have individual threads.

CBlack already has a thread that needs to be updated and turned into a collection.
https://f95zone.to/threads/opportunities-cblack.7090/
Same for Moonlly
https://f95zone.to/threads/the-substitute-part-1-3-moonlly.38414/

On a side note, I actually setup NewBeeTG's thread as a collection to "future proof it" but the moderator/uploader changed it into just a solo comic thread since it is only a single comic so far.

TGTrinity already has a collection thread that just needs to be updated.
https://f95zone.to/threads/tgtrinity-collection-2022-05-22-tgtrinity.23379/
Same for Tom Reynolds
https://f95zone.to/threads/tom-reynolds-collection-2022-03-26-tom-reynolds.112088/
Emory Ahlberg
https://f95zone.to/threads/emory-ahlberg-collection-2022-04-05-emory-ahlberg.113160/
Kannel
https://f95zone.to/threads/kannel-collection-patreon-kannel.21050/

MARE might be complete?
https://f95zone.to/threads/mare-collection-2023-06-02-mar3.48707/

SapphireFoxx already has requests for a thread. Hanna23, Cashmere Chloe, Sandy Thomas, ManaOmega, AmberWyld, and many others do still need threads.
If there is a thread I do have the complete content of if till the day 8muses eent down which is about 175GB

LadyBoyJay

Jun 12, 2017
If there is a thread I do have the complete content of if till the day 8muses eent down which is about 175GB
Here is the most recent request thread for SapphireFoxx.
https://f95zone.to/threads/sapphirefoxx-tg-comics-and-animations.184220/

Someone needs to fill out a template to get a proper thread started. I'm not very familiar with SapphireFoxx. As long as all of the content is rule friendly, it can be posted here. You can either create a thread yourself (I posted some step-step instructions here) or you can buddy up with another SapphireFoxx fan to help you with getting a template filled out and posted. If neither of those options will work, I could partially fill out a template for you and message it to you. I don't mind helping but I would prefer not to be the person who posts the thread and is responsible for it since it isn't an artist I'm familiar with. I wouldn't really know what genre tags to use or which photos to use as thumbnails. Nor would I be able to answer questions or discuss things with the fans of SapphireFoxx.

You might try talking to valoreal, they already filled out a template. It just needs a few fixes and it needs to be posted to a new thread, then reported to a moderator/uploader as per the instructions above. https://f95zone.to/threads/sapphirefoxx-tg-comics-and-animations.184220/#post-12364208

Last edited:

SophieHart

Dec 8, 2023
Here is the most recent request thread for SapphireFoxx.
https://f95zone.to/threads/sapphirefoxx-tg-comics-and-animations.184220/

Someone needs to fill out a template to get a proper thread started. I'm not very familiar with SapphireFoxx. As long as all of the content is rule friendly, it can be posted here. You can either create a thread yourself (I posted some step-step instructions here) or you can buddy up with another SapphireFoxx fan to help you with getting a template filled out and posted. If neither of those options will work, I could partially fill out a template for you and message it to you. I don't mind helping but I would prefer not to be the person who posts the thread and is responsible for it since it isn't an artist I'm familiar with. I wouldn't really know what genre tags to use or which photos to use as thumbnails. Nor would I be able to answer questions or discuss things with the fans of SapphireFoxx.

You might try talking to valoreal , they already filled out a template. It just needs a few fixes and it needs to be posted to a new thread, then reported to a moderator/uploader as per the instructions above. https://f95zone.to/threads/sapphirefoxx-tg-comics-and-animations.184220/#post-12364208
I think i will look at the threat itself first and look what can bedone afterwrds i might ask for help if needed

Stevedore100

Dec 4, 2023
Aphrodites Mirror 21-4

One thing in this part - Marina notes how incredibly fast Andrew/Elena has recovered (one month) with no stitches, scars. This may be a nod to the various times people have brought that up. I'm not very confident it has any importance to the story. Fits in with idea that most stories in this genre do require a bit of reality bending.

Oddly, I am not a big fan of magic/sci-fi stories - possibly because my brain tells me if there is a world where magic or some weird device can completely change someone, then it might not really be that exciting anymore. Just a personal idiosyncrasy. Do not mean to diss any genre.

misseva88

Jul 5, 2017
One thing in this part - Marina notes how incredibly fast Andrew/Elena has recovered (one month) with no stitches, scars. This may be a nod to the various times people have brought that up. I'm not very confident it has any importance to the story. Fits in with idea that most stories in this genre do require a bit of reality bending.

Oddly, I am not a big fan of magic/sci-fi stories - possibly because my brain tells me if there is a world where magic or some weird device can completely change someone, then it might not really be that exciting anymore. Just a personal idiosyncrasy. Do not mean to diss any genre.
I take it as a direct response to the timeline stuff that was discussed before, as a way for Melissa to clean some stuff up. It's not very realistic but I guess Melissa wrote herself into a corner on that stuff and had to find a way out.

It is noteworthy Elena opts to go by that name herself by the way. It's been a while since I've read the whole thing, but I remember Marina being the one who instigated naming Andrew by his female name when in private, now it's the other way around.

Reactions: Thalantyr
Feb 8, 2022
If you're writing a race change fetish story, then yes, the race change needs to be in the story. Melissa clearly has a race change fetish (or is making a concerted effort to cater to people who do) since she's done several stories like this:
  • A (High-Heeled) Journey to the Unknown: white to black
  • All He Wants for Christmas (Whether He Knows It or Not): white to black
  • He's Turned Into a Latina Girl: white to hispanic
  • La Nueva Chica: white to hispanic
  • Need for Speed: white to east asian
  • Stripping His Problems Away: white to hispanic
It seems like you're just bitching because you personally don't like the fetish. Fetishes are niche by definition. Not everyone is going to enjoy every fetish, and not everyone is going to enjoy stories based on those fetishes. That doesn't make the story objectively bad.

Personally, I'm just here for the gender change. I'm pretty neutral on race change and age progression (as long as the character remains attractive). Those aspects of the story are easy for me to ignore so that others who enjoy that stuff can do so in peace.

Edit, and totally unrelated: Holy shit, LadyBoyJay, did you see today's NNN page? :love:
Again, with the strawman arguments and now personal attack/assumptions. Find a better way to have a discussion and converse with others just because they, ironically, disagree with your stance on the stories.

You just backed my entire point, there is always some quirk in the stories that is added in for the sake of adding it, which sometimes is world breaking or not in line with context or situation etc. Yes, for some, they are just looking for fap material and don't care, others care more about the actual STORY, because it is also just as much that as anything else. Its why Melissa N stories are not my favorite, but that doesn't mean I can't still read them and voice my dislikes.

It doesn't also make the stories objectively good.

• Angry
Reactions: Thalantyr
Feb 8, 2022

We've gone beyond bending with this one lol.

LadyBoyJay

Jun 12, 2017
OMG Aphrodite's Mirror has turned into a dumpster fire of a story.
Again, with the strawman arguments and now personal attack/assumptions. Find a better way to have a discussion and converse with others just because they, ironically, disagree with your stance on the stories.

You just backed my entire point, there is always some quirk in the stories that is added in for the sake of adding it, which sometimes is world breaking or not in line with context or situation etc. Yes, for some, they are just looking for fap material and don't care, others care more about the actual STORY, because it is also just as much that as anything else. Its why Melissa N stories are not my favorite, but that doesn't mean I can't still read them and voice my dislikes.

It doesn't also make the stories objectively good.
Converse with us! If you were in Melissa's pretty shoes, how would you have written Aphrodite's Mirror differently? I'm genuinely interested to hear your thoughts and I am not trying anger you. Maybe I will love your ideas, maybe not? There are definitely things that I would have done differently than Melissa. I even previously walked away from the story as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I love some of Melissa's stories. I strongly dislike some others and some are just meh. I view most other writers/artists/creators the same way, few can hit a home run in every at bat. Which stories that I, you, or any other member here, love or hate, really only matter to us as individuals. Not really any right or wrong answers when it comes down to personal tastes. Just like with any other form of media - movies/television/music/games/etc.

Again, you are free to voice your dislikes. You do kind of have to accept that if a story has too many kinks that you don't like, it is probably easier to just cross it off your reading list. I do sympathize with how frustrating that can be. The male-to-female transformation community gets a limited amount of content and when you get something that looks good but just isn't your cup of tea, it can be very disappointing. I feel you! I've been let down a bunch by stories that many others have absolutely enjoyed.

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
I take it as a direct response to the timeline stuff that was discussed before, as a way for Melissa to clean some stuff up. It's not very realistic but I guess Melissa wrote herself into a corner on that stuff and had to find a way out.
It's possible that Melissa is simply lampshading the quick healing, but I took this as introducing doubt. Melissa still wants the readers (and Andrew) to wonder if surgery really happened at all. Is it really possible that Elena has always been a woman and is going crazy? Is there a supernatural force at work? I will note that this aligns perfectly with the timeline I'd deduced from available clues earlier (I guessed 4 weeks), so the timeline itself seems to have been pre-planned/intentional.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022
Converse with us! If you were in Melissa's pretty shoes, how would you have written Aphrodite's Mirror differently? I'm genuinely interested to hear your thoughts and I am not trying anger you. Maybe I will love your ideas, maybe not? There are definitely things that I would have done differently than Melissa. I even previously walked away from the story as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I love some of Melissa's stories. I strongly dislike some others and some are just meh. I view most other writers/artists/creators the same way, few can hit a home run in every at bat. Which stories that I, you, or any other member here, love or hate, really only matter to us as individuals. Not really any right or wrong answers when it comes down to personal tastes. Just like with any other form of media - movies/television/music/games/etc.

Again, you are free to voice your dislikes. You do kind of have to accept that if a story has too many kinks that you don't like, it is probably easier to just cross it off your reading list. I do sympathize with how frustrating that can be. The male-to-female transformation community gets a limited amount of content and when you get something that looks good but just isn't your cup of tea, it can be very disappointing. I feel you! I've been let down a bunch by stories that many others have absolutely enjoyed.
Firstly, I just want to address that I never stated a dislike of any kinks, that is something that Thalantyr fabricated to invalidate my previous statements.

Sure. My main gripe with Aphrodite's mirror, is the lack of R & D and consistency with biology. My critique is very in tune with what rebirth095 discussed. I was fine with plot holes etc with this story. The main point where I have started to check out mentally: the first sex scene. Just jam it in Anally!! Why would Niko even go straight to anal when Elena has a "vagina" supposedly. Furthermore, Elena just instantly says OMG I LOVE THIS. Again, it just went straight to, "this person has no idea what they are writing about." I usually lend a lot of forgiveness with anal in most stories, usually due to the fact that it is the only thing available and most of the time there is at least some resistance before breaking into pleasure.

I would try to incorporate at least some chapter to chapter and frame to frame biological consistency as well. When Elena's breast and butt are out, THEY ARE HUGE!!!! When she is clothed its believable. How does that happen??? Magic??

This is even more apparent IMO with the newest panels; the complete lack of acknowledgment of biology? At this point it feels like the character is going to be surgery-ed into a cow, because Niko is secretly building an underground society of transformed mommy milkers. Again, nothing wrong with that kink or fetish, but just throwing a pile of kinks and fetish into a story for the sake of it, with no consistency to theme/plot, is what causes my dislike. I would have just kept the appearance congruent with an older lady with DD breast and a good butt, yet somehow even the characters themselves are in shock lol. Only for it to be addressed with "magical surgeries," and that somehow just makes his GF/Daughter okay with the situation??? Exaggerated feminization doesn't bother me at all in most stories, but this has reached a point where, to me, its world breaking. I am supposed to believe in this world that a licensed doctor, even with bending the rules, would proceed with THAT amount of procedure, it's not even possible or ethical. At least make it some underground black-market clinic or something. That would at least address how procedures kept getting done without consent or oversight.

With a K-pop Idol, as I stated before, I would have just made the main Character (Nabi) a Korean-American or something. It's more in-line with the stories concept. If it were a story about race-change fetish, then why did it only last 1 panel? Make it an actual part of the story, it would need to be more of a process rather than, "Oh I will just say it's surgery!" and somehow trying to make the reader believe that chalking it up to simple surgery is going to make Nabi look like a native Korean lol. Maybe he had to travel to Korea to even get it done by actual plastic surgeons who work on Koreans daily. (I can't remember if that happened or not).
Nabi could have been like a 3rd generation Korean-American with very limited broken Korean, making learning Korean a better transition, as well as him being more culturally American, compensating maybe by being in-line with a jock masculine culture, annoyed with the stereotypes of androgyny present in Korea and femininity present in K-pop, with which he was bullied with when he was younger. Only now to be forced into becoming what he hates.

Anyway, I am still enjoying a K-pop idol. Aphrodite's mirror... I mean, so many pages in, you sorta have to just see where it goes due to the investment.

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
Firstly, I just want to address that I never stated a dislike of any kinks, that is something that @Thalantyr fabricated to invalidate my previous statements.
I said that because you said this:

It seems like Melissa always had to have a weird quirk in the stories, some work some are just meh, others are just story breaking. I agree the race transformation is a little far fetched. Just having Nick start as an Asian-American would have made it a lot better, but again, Melissa N.
You describe the primary fetish of some of these stories as a "weird quirk" and that the story would be "a lot better" if the fetish was removed entirely. How else am I to interpret that? But I think the main reason we got off on the wrong foot is because of this:

OMG Aphrodite's Mirror has turned into a dumpster fire of a story.
That's not a critique. It's not constructive, or interesting. It's just hating. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. Melissa is not a perfect writer and these are not perfect stories. But it's so tiresome to have people coming back to the thread week after week just to say "I don't like this" because of 100% subjective reasons. We had enough of that in the old 8muses thread. It doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Last edited:

LadyBoyJay

Jun 12, 2017
Firstly, I just want to address that I never stated a dislike of any kinks, that is something that Thalantyr fabricated to invalidate my previous statements.
Sorry, I assumed that you were saying you didn't like the kinks of race change, age progression or breast enlargement based on your previous post below.

It seems like Melissa always had to have a weird quirk in the stories, some work some are just meh, others are just story breaking. I agree the race transformation is a little far fetched. Just having Nick start as an Asian-American would have made it a lot better, but again, Melissa N.

I'll be happy has long as things stay somewhat realistic, unlike Aphrodite's Mirror which has been garbage since halfway through: Breast that are bigger than the characters body, and morphing into some weird agism fantasy, with the story in shambles and not making any sense.
The main point where I have started to check out mentally: the first sex scene. Just jam it in Anally!! Why would Niko even go straight to anal when Elena has a "vagina" supposedly. Furthermore, Elena just instantly says OMG I LOVE THIS. Again, it just went straight to, "this person has no idea what they are writing about." I usually lend a lot of forgiveness with anal in most stories, usually due to the fact that it is the only thing available and most of the time there is at least some resistance before breaking into pleasure.

I would try to incorporate at least some chapter to chapter and frame to frame biological consistency as well. When Elena's breast and butt are out, THEY ARE HUGE!!!! When she is clothed its believable. How does that happen??? Magic??

This is even more apparent IMO with the newest panels; the complete lack of acknowledgment of biology? At this point it feels like the character is going to be surgery-ed into a cow, because Niko is secretly building an underground society of transformed mommy milkers. Again, nothing wrong with that kink or fetish, but just throwing a pile of kinks and fetish into a story for the sake of it, with no consistency to theme/plot, is what causes my dislike. I would have just kept the appearance congruent with an older lady with DD breast and a good butt, yet somehow even the characters themselves are in shock lol. Only for it to be addressed with "magical surgeries," and that somehow just makes his GF/Daughter okay with the situation??? Exaggerated feminization doesn't bother me at all in most stories, but this has reached a point where, to me, its world breaking. I am supposed to believe in this world that a licensed doctor, even with bending the rules, would proceed with THAT amount of procedure, it's not even possible or ethical. At least make it some underground black-market clinic or something. That would at least address how procedures kept getting done without consent or oversight.

With a K-pop Idol, as I stated before, I would have just made the main Character (Nabi) a Korean-American or something. It's more in-line with the stories concept. If it were a story about race-change fetish, then why did it only last 1 panel? Make it an actual part of the story, it would need to be more of a process rather than, "Oh I will just say it's surgery!" and somehow trying to make the reader believe that chalking it up to simple surgery is going to make Nabi look like a native Korean lol. Maybe he had to travel to Korea to even get it done by actual plastic surgeons who work on Koreans daily. (I can't remember if that happened or not).
Nabi could have been like a 3rd generation Korean-American with very limited broken Korean, making learning Korean a better transition, as well as him being more culturally American, compensating maybe by being in-line with a jock masculine culture, annoyed with the stereotypes of androgyny present in Korea and femininity present in K-pop, with which he was bullied with when he was younger.

Anyway, I am still enjoying a K-pop idol. Aphrodite's mirror... I mean, so many pages in, you sorta have to just see where it goes due to the investment.
I will agree with you that anal sex is rarely portrayed in a realistic manner. Personally, I'm fine with that. I know how it smells in real life and it is nice not to have those details described accurately. Kind of like when authors describe "licking her sweet honey pot" rather than a more realistic "licking her coppery battery acid". As far as how the size of breasts look in and out of clothing - that is a fair complaint but it is also a limitation of Daz3d as a software program. I've had my own first hand issues with my renders. I personally love the way Elena looks. Too me, she is kind of like an older Greek version of Christina Hendricks. Not everyone likes a curvy hourglass figure though. Complaints about the realism of the surgery are perfectly fair and most of us would probably agree with you. I think your idea about Nick/Nabi having been a 3rd generation Korean-American would have been interesting. I would have found that enjoyable.

Stevedore100

Dec 4, 2023

Sure. My main gripe with Aphrodite's mirror, is the lack of R & D and consistency with biology. My critique is very in tune with what rebirth095 discussed. I was fine with plot holes etc with this story. The main point where I have started to check out mentally: the first sex scene. Just jam it in Anally!! Why would Niko even go straight to anal when Elena has a "vagina" supposedly. Furthermore, Elena just instantly says OMG I LOVE THIS. Again, it just went straight to, "this person has no idea what they are writing about." I usually lend a lot of forgiveness with anal in most stories, usually due to the fact that it is the only thing available and most of the time there is at least some resistance before breaking into pleasure.

Nabi could have been like a 3rd generation Korean-American with very limited broken Korean, making learning Korean a better transition, as well as him being more culturally American, compensating maybe by being in-line with a jock masculine culture, annoyed with the stereotypes of androgyny present in Korea and femininity present in K-pop, with which he was bullied with when he was younger. Only now to be forced into becoming what he hates.

I think it just depends on how much deviation from reality you are okay with. Stories in this genre require some suspension if disbelief right from the start.
Aphrodites mirror has a lot of farfetched, unrealistic pieces,c the surgery (the cost!!!) being perhaps the biggest. But , at least for me, the basic structure of the story is good - guy gets roped into portraying a woman for a one time thing, complications ensue, a supposed minor surgery becomes major, guy gets lost in character, etc. Melissa has decided, and this is where opinions diverge, to go big, and extreme, while trying to maintain at least some relation to reality. Tbh, any reasonable human being would have hightailed it for the airport long before ever seeing the surgeon here, but we need a story!
And. I enjoy a story that fucks with it's readers a bit, throwing in stuff that may be a complete dead end, but might not. As long as the story goes forward, which this one generally has. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy it.

rebirth095

Jul 25, 2021
I think it just depends on how much deviation from reality you are okay with. Stories in this genre require some suspension if disbelief right from the start.
Aphrodites mirror has a lot of farfetched, unrealistic pieces,c the surgery (the cost!!!) being perhaps the biggest. But , at least for me, the basic structure of the story is good - guy gets roped into portraying a woman for a one time thing, complications ensue, a supposed minor surgery becomes major, guy gets lost in character, etc. Melissa has decided, and this is where opinions diverge, to go big, and extreme, while trying to maintain at least some relation to reality. Tbh, any reasonable human being would have hightailed it for the airport long before ever seeing the surgeon here, but we need a story!
And. I enjoy a story that fucks with it's readers a bit, throwing in stuff that may be a complete dead end, but might not. As long as the story goes forward, which this one generally has. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy it.
I would argue that there's a bit of mixed messaging: Aphrodite's Mirror is a story that invites scrutiny. It's a story that's purposefully setting up a mystery, asking you to pay attention to details, and purposefully obfuscating details to service that mystery. This means that to unravel the mystery, as a reader, you're invited to investigate character motivations/relationships and try to determine what the "real" story actually is.

It's a real shame we lost the original thread. But we had a lot of examples of people theorizing, and then dialogue was identified that would contradict (or at least make such a theory a bit implausible) that theory. Only for that theory to be "proven", but this made some dialogue retroactively make either less sense, or weaken a character's characterization.

This also puts a lot more pressure on the actual answer being satisfying. So on the one hand, Aphrodite's Mirror wants/needs you to not think too hard about it because it's still meant to be erotica. But on the other hand, the main mechanism of its story is that it's a mystery box that wants you to think and pay attention to the players involved.

Just as an example, let's look at the sex scene. For the sake of "rule of sexy", of course we could make the argument that Elena enjoys anal her "first" time because it's a sex story and we should accept breaks from reality. But at the same time, this is a mystery story, and it could be argued that the fact she's comfortable with anal might actually be evidence towards whatever Marina and Andrew fought over a few months back. That's the awkward position Aphrodite's Mirror has caught itself in.

LadyBoyJay

Jun 12, 2017
I would argue that there's a bit of mixed messaging: Aphrodite's Mirror is a story that invites scrutiny. It's a story that's purposefully setting up a mystery, asking you to pay attention to details, and purposefully obfuscating details to service that mystery. This means that to unravel the mystery, as a reader, you're invited to investigate character motivations/relationships and try to determine what the "real" story actually is.
I think Melissa has made some mistakes on her marketing of this story. Before release and after release, it was advertised as a realistic story. The term "realistic" has certain expectations to some people. After a while, Melissa starting making either hints or teases about things (mirrors, Aphrodite, etc) that possibly conflict with being in a realistic setting. Melissa responded to some criticisms by saying something like, "this is just a silly story don't take it too seriously" which was probably not the best response. Seeing this has taught me a valuable lesson for any of my future projects. Be as open and upfront as possible about the content that a story/comic/game will or will not feature. Example, lactation is a divisive fetish so I will be upfront about it, even it drives people away. Better to reach the right audience than risk attracting the wrong audience.

Stevedore100

Dec 4, 2023

It's a real shame we lost the original thread. But we had a lot of examples of people theorizing, and then dialogue was identified that would contradict (or at least make such a theory a bit implausible) that theory. Only for that theory to be "proven", but this made some dialogue retroactively make either less sense, or weaken a character's characterization.

This also puts a lot more pressure on the actual answer being satisfying. So on the one hand, Aphrodite's Mirror wants/needs you to not think too hard about it because it's still meant to be erotica. But on the other hand, the main mechanism of its story is that it's a mystery box that wants you to think and pay attention to the players involved.

Just as an example, let's look at the sex scene. For the sake of "rule of sexy", of course we could make the argument that Elena enjoys anal her "first" time because it's a sex story and we should accept breaks from reality. But at the same time, this is a mystery story, and it could be argued that the fact she's comfortable with anal might actually be evidence towards whatever Marina and Andrew fought over a few months back. That's the awkward position Aphrodite's Mirror has caught itself in.
This is all very very true - when I mentioned I do enjoy a story where the author ducks with the reader, this is exactly that , but the author can also go overboard with that stuff. You end up just feeling lost. I haven't had that yet here, I think others have.

For example, Nikos may be the most evil guy - stealing his nieces husband to be his wife. Or Nikos may be the world's most gilullible dioxide - somehow believing his nieces husband is actually his wife who he never had but got married to decades ago.
Or something complete different. And each one could make done dirt of sense.