Comics Collection Melissa N. Collection [2024-06-23] [Melissa N.]

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
For a story (Aphrodite's Mirror) that isn't supposed to have a dark ending, it sure feels awfully dark right now. :cry:
View attachment 3463400
Cheer up! We're only like... 2/3rds of the way through? Or less? I vaguely recall Melissa saying that ch20 was the halfway point but I'm too lazy to look it up. At any rate, plenty of time for Aphrodite Ex Machina to swoop in and deliver us a happy ending, whether it makes sense or not. :)

rebirth095

Jul 25, 2021
I still wonder about the importance of mirrors in this story. From the small teases from Melissas it sounded like literally "mirrors". Physical objects.
There were a couple of mirrored sequences earlier on, when it was comparing the before and after between Andrew and Elena. But otherwise, I'd say the title hasn't felt particularly relevant. We had Aphrodite in a dream sequence, and not much done with actual mirrors in general. Unfortunately, I don't really think there's been much seeded to have the ambiguous "maybe magic, maybe mundane" be in play.

That said, I'm assuming the title is meant to be one with two readings. I think it's not supposed to be read as the mirror that Aphrodite owns/created, but becoming a mirror of Aphrodite. Turning into Aphrodite's Mirror (image). Which was basically what happened in the dream sequence where it seems as if Andrew's mental image of Aphrodite is Elena.

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
Are we positive that sequence was a dream and not a divine vision of sorts? In other words, is the change started internally or or is implanted into him by Aphrodite?
Just like in real life, you can never be 100% certain of something for which there is no evidence. But Andrew himself seems fairly convinced that she is a figment of his imagination ("I created you"):
ch20-0972.png

Last edited:

misseva88

Jul 5, 2017
Just like in real life, you can never be 100% certain of something for which there is no evidence. But Andrew himself seems fairly convinced that she is a figment of his imagination ("I created you"):
View attachment 3465089
It could be his rationalisation of the encounter. He says he's met Aphrodite before. Not to sound too Ancient Aliens here, but what if after that encounter he's lost his memory of key events, like the apparent secret way of communication with Marina via the earring touches. So after he meets Aphrodite like this we can say goodbye to Andrews identity and Elena is not born but truly embraced.

So to go back to the title of the story: either he A. dreams up Aphrodite and creates his new identity based on that dream and as such becomes a mirror of Aphrodite or B. has a divine encounter from Aphrodite who mirrors Andrew to look like herself. In both ways I don't think the mirror in the title isn't meant to be a literal physical mirror, but more like to represent an image of Aphrodite.

On a side note, Aphrodite shares her own love story with Andrew. She claims to have been in an unhappy marriage until she found Ares. With Aphrodite comparing her love story to that of Elena's, Nikos takes on the role of Ares, the god of war. I'd say that's a circumstantial though light bit of evidence to support the evil Nikos theorem.

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
It could be his rationalisation of the encounter. He says he's met Aphrodite before. Not to sound too Ancient Aliens here, but what if after that encounter he's lost his memory of key events, like the apparent secret way of communication with Marina via the earring touches. So after he meets Aphrodite like this we can say goodbye to Andrews identity and Elena is not born but truly embraced.

So to go back to the title of the story: either he A. dreams up Aphrodite and creates his new identity based on that dream and as such becomes a mirror of Aphrodite or B. has a divine encounter from Aphrodite who mirrors Andrew to look like herself. In both ways I don't think the mirror in the title isn't meant to be a literal physical mirror, but more like to represent an image of Aphrodite.

On a side note, Aphrodite shares her own love story with Andrew. She claims to have been in an unhappy marriage until she found Ares. With Aphrodite comparing her love story to that of Elena's, Nikos takes on the role of Ares, the god of war. I'd say that's a circumstantial though light bit of evidence to support the evil Nikos theorem.
Hmm... Well, I haven't noticed any symbolism in the story that would suggest that Nikos is an analog of Ares or Marina of Hephaestus. But more importantly, why was there all that talk about method acting if it was just divine intervention? Why wouldn't the dream just have been "Hey, I implanted my divine seed in you. Enjoy!" It would have been much simpler to just explain that he had a divinely-inspired compulsion to feminize himself if that was the case. The method acting thing way over-complicates things.

LadyBoyJay

Jun 12, 2017
Cheer up! We're only like... 2/3rds of the way through? Or less? I vaguely recall Melissa saying that ch20 was the halfway point but I'm too lazy to look it up.
I don't remember Melissa saying anything about the story going past 40 chapters, but I might have missed her comment about that. It certainly feels like it could and I wouldn't mind if it did.

2023_04_08.png
She says more than 30 chapters. So somewhere between 30-39 chapters?

2023_08_21.png
If the end of chapter 19 was the 2/3rds of the way finished point, it would make sense for it to end around chapter 30.

2023_11_22_chapter21part1.png
She says 30 chapters in a definitive way.
So, unless she has any recent contradictory statements, we might just have 7-8 chapters left.

At any rate, plenty of time for Aphrodite Ex Machina to swoop in and deliver us a happy ending, whether it makes sense or not. :)
Help us, Aphrodite! You're our only hope! ;)

Here are a few more interesting quotes from Melissa.
2023_05_11.png
Literally or figuratively? :unsure:

2023_04_24.png
This is still an unresolved mystery. It is apparently important enough for Melissa to point out.

2023_04_19.png
Melissa has made some teasing comments about this...
2023_11_30.png
Is Melissa dropping hints or just trolling? :unsure:

2023_10_31.png
An interesting non-answer. Melissa didn't have to respond, often she does not, but for this she did. :unsure:

Last edited:

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
I don't remember Melissa saying anything about the story going past 40 chapters, but I might have missed her comment about that. It certainly feels like it could and I wouldn't mind if it did.

View attachment 3465254
She says more than 30 chapters. So somewhere between 30-39 chapters?

View attachment 3465319
If the end of chapter 19 was the 2/3rds of the way finished point, it would make sense for it to end around chapter 30.

View attachment 3465264
She says 30 chapters in a definitive way.
So, unless she has any recent contradictory statements, we might just have 7-8 chapters left.

Help us, Aphrodite! You're our only hope! ;)

Here are a few more interesting quotes from Melissa.
View attachment 3465361
Literally or figuratively? :unsure:

View attachment 3465368
This is still an unresolved mystery. It is apparently important enough for Melissa to point out.

View attachment 3465369
Melissa has made some teasing comments about this...
View attachment 3465372
Is Melissa dropping hints or just trolling? :unsure:

View attachment 3465385
An interesting non-answer. Melissa didn't have to respond, often she does not, but for this she did. :unsure:
The real Aphrodite was the friends we made along the way.

Stevedore100

Dec 4, 2023
I have a really hard time seeing Nikos as being a complete villain. If he is, and I certainly didn't think that is out if the question by any means, boy is he a completely despicable person, even by
Villain standards. His treating Elena like his longtime wife in front of Marina with the marriage stuff is off the scale horrible.
Which seems completely off from how he acts otherwise - he comes across as a low key guy and well liked by all. Marina says how much her mom(?) thinks of him. And, we never really see Nikos involved in any of the more radical "let's make Andrew into Elena" bits.
The only problem is that there isn't much of a way to make Nikos NOT a bad guy, given what he is doing, other than he has been made somehow to be completely delusional, either by someone doing something to him, or he is just nuts.

About the only thing I can come up with is that he took off with Joel, who we know is up to something, following the first Elena dinner, and didn't return until after the surgery. Did something happen to him during that time?

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
I have a really hard time seeing Nikos as being a complete villain. If he is, and I certainly didn't think that is out if the question by any means, boy is he a completely despicable person, even by
Villain standards. His treating Elena like his longtime wife in front of Marina with the marriage stuff is off the scale horrible.
Which seems completely off from how he acts otherwise - he comes across as a low key guy and well liked by all. Marina says how much her mom(?) thinks of him. And, we never really see Nikos involved in any of the more radical "let's make Andrew into Elena" bits.
The only problem is that there isn't much of a way to make Nikos NOT a bad guy, given what he is doing, other than he has been made somehow to be completely delusional, either by someone doing something to him, or he is just nuts.

About the only thing I can come up with is that he took off with Joel, who we know is up to something, following the first Elena dinner, and didn't return until after the surgery. Did something happen to him during that time?
Agreed on all points. It's really hard for me to wrap my head around what might be going on with Nikos. At this point I'm almost 50/50 on whether or not he's a bad guy. Though it's a little bit like when Marina showed up at dinner suddenly married to some other guy. That seemed pretty nuts at the time, and it kicked off a million different theories, but Melissa ended up having a pretty good explanation for that. Maybe there's one for Nikos we just haven't thought of yet.

misseva88

Jul 5, 2017
Hmm... Well, I haven't noticed any symbolism in the story that would suggest that Nikos is an analog of Ares or Marina of Hephaestus. But more importantly, why was there all that talk about method acting if it was just divine intervention? Why wouldn't the dream just have been "Hey, I implanted my divine seed in you. Enjoy!" It would have been much simpler to just explain that he had a divinely-inspired compulsion to feminize himself if that was the case. The method acting thing way over-complicates things.
In the Star Wars original trilogy the Force is a mythical aspect of life and in the prequels there's a scientific approach to the Force. They're two approaches to the same phenomenon. Our ancestors must have thought the Aurora Borealis was some sort of divine way of communication; modern science can explain the phenomenon. If someone has an urge to study faith, is it a passion for faith or is it their calling? Did Pavlov's dogs know they were being manipulated into salivate during his research, or did they not know they were being conditioned?
If someone manipulates Andrew into turning into becoming Elena, being the actor he is he may look at his own past to explain his current actions. But would that be correct? Maybe, maybe not. I suppose it depends on your approach to religion.

It's been a while, but I remember you thinking Joanna was the physical manifestation of Aphrodite, am I off there? She appears to have played an active role in Andrews transition to Elena. Her role in the story would have to be zero if it was all due to method acting taken too far. The blackout in the surgeon's office would have to be self imposed somehow for her transition to only be due to her own mental blockage. Where does Elenas memory loss even come from? Does method acting build a fence around certain memories? I don't know. I feel there's got to be more there.
James says in that dream sequence you've posted the pic of that he's seen Aphrodite before. When do you think that happened? How far into his transition and embracing of life as Elena did that occur? Before or after Joanna's actions?

Hephaestus was a cunning outcast from Olympus, but later returned. Marina is a born Greek woman who returned to Crete after years and cunningly deceived a man to rid herself of a stalker. It's thin, sure. But there's not nothing there.

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
In the Star Wars original trilogy the Force is a mythical aspect of life and in the prequels there's a scientific approach to the Force. They're two approaches to the same phenomenon. Our ancestors must have thought the Aurora Borealis was some sort of divine way of communication; modern science can explain the phenomenon. If someone has an urge to study faith, is it a passion for faith or is it their calling? Did Pavlov's dogs know they were being manipulated into salivate during his research, or did they not know they were being conditioned?
If someone manipulates Andrew into turning into becoming Elena, being the actor he is he may look at his own past to explain his current actions. But would that be correct? Maybe, maybe not. I suppose it depends on your approach to religion.
Well, generally when I'm theorizing, I'm assuming the story is/will be well-written. I think the existence of midichlorians is a fantastic example of terrible writing. Mysticism doesn't need a scientific explanation. If you start with mysticism and add science, it ruins the magic (as was the case in Star Wars). If you start with science and add mysticism, it basically makes the scientific explanation irrelevant and pointless. There'd be no reason to include it in the story.

It's been a while, but I remember you thinking Joanna was the physical manifestation of Aphrodite, am I off there? She appears to have played an active role in Andrews transition to Elena. Her role in the story would have to be zero if it was all due to method acting taken too far. The blackout in the surgeon's office would have to be self imposed somehow for her transition to only be due to her own mental blockage.
I think you may be thinking of LadyBoyJay's theory that Joanna is an avatar of Aphrodite, which I actually do kinda like. But overall I'm 99% sure there's no magic or divine presence in this story. Other than the story's title, there's nothing that would really indicate it, and I'm pretty sure Melissa has specifically denied it herself at one point. Though I will admit that Melissa tends to be pretty vague when discussing this story and she sometimes has wildly different definitions of words like "realism" and "magic" than I would, so that's what leaves that 1% possibility in my mind that maybe there really is a goddess pulling the strings.

Stevedore100

Dec 4, 2023
Agreed on all points. It's really hard for me to wrap my head around what might be going on with Nikos. At this point I'm almost 50/50 on whether or not he's a bad guy. Though it's a little bit like when Marina showed up at dinner suddenly married to some other guy. That seemed pretty nuts at the time, and it kicked off a million different theories, but Melissa ended up having a pretty good explanation for that. Maybe there's one for Nikos we just haven't thought of yet.
Yes. She seems to have painted herself in a corner with Nikos, but some writers have an amazing ability to find a satisfying way out of such a trap. We shall see here.

Am I correct in thinking that since the surgery, only Marina and Sofia (indirectly via phone call with Marina) have acknowledged the Elena is Andrew? Neither Nikos, Eva, or Angeliki have said that.

Stevedore100

Dec 4, 2023
Well, generally when I'm theorizing, I'm assuming the story is/will be well-written. I think the existence of midichlorians is a fantastic example of terrible writing. Mysticism doesn't need a scientific explanation. If you start with mysticism and add science, it ruins the magic (as was the case in Star Wars). If you start with science and add mysticism, it basically makes the scientific explanation irrelevant and pointless. There'd be no reason to include it in the story.

I think you may be thinking of LadyBoyJay's theory that Joanna is an avatar of Aphrodite, which I actually do kinda like. But overall I'm 99% sure there's no magic or divine presence in this story. Other than the story's title, there's nothing that would really indicate it, and I'm pretty sure Melissa has specifically denied it herself at one point. Though I will admit that Melissa tends to be pretty vague when discussing this story and she sometimes has wildly different definitions of words like "realism" and "magic" than I would, so that's what leaves that 1% possibility in my mind that maybe there really is a goddess pulling the strings.
I get the general idea here and I have the same hard time with it - it seems like there is some magical thing happening but I remember Melissa denying there was. I think there are multiple ideas merging together here in some way that is still anything but clear. You have Andrew the actor doing his thing to try and help Nikola by pretending be his wife. Toska wants his partner to be a family guy (Melissa noted at some intermediate point that Tisha is important) and then you have Joanne who seems to be pushing along SOMEHOW (drugs, magic, hypnosis, mirrors) Andrew to go much further than planned. Not to mention whatever members of the family are potentially doing subversively.

Then you have a side story of Seferi and Joel that may be completely tangential to the main one. Or not

misseva88

Jul 5, 2017
I think the midichlorians are excellent actually. It shows how the Jedi drifted too far away from the mystic approach to the Force and tried to rationalise everything. They let technology consume themselves. The Jedi Council didn't even feel the need to have meetings in person any more. If you're ever rewatching the prequels, pay attention to how many people are physically in the Council the first time we see them versus the last time. They went from face to face meetings to call-in monogram meetings at the very end of Sith. If they would have met more often in person they would have noticed how Anakin was in a rough place with his fear of losing Padmé, like Palpatine was. The fear consummated him and as Yoda says: "Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." With better guidance and face to face meetings, Anakin could (would) have been comforted and he probably wouldn't have fallen for Sidious' lies.
Technology led (contributed) to the downfall of the Jedi and the Republic. It wasn't until the Force was once again approached as a mystic phenomenon that's all around us that the Jedi (Luke, via Yoda's training) overcame again.

My point about AM is that Elena has an explanation that may not be true. She rationalises it, but there may still be a puppet master manipulating her. Think Inception.
Predators do usually look for broken people to manipulate, who then also blame themselves for being abused. Elena fits that same pattern here.

You're actually skipping the more interesting questions there. :p Where does Elena's memory loss come from and what happened the first time Andrew met Aphrodite?

I feel any religious person who believes in divine intervention would consider divine intervention in a story like this to be realistic. With Brazil being a religious country, there is always the possibility Melissa is a religious person. It may be a cop out and quite literally a deus ex machina, but would it really be so much weirder than an actor who lost his own identity and memory because of method acting?

LadyBoyJay

Jun 12, 2017
I think you may be thinking of LadyBoyJay's theory that Joanna is an avatar of Aphrodite, which I actually do kinda like.
I even theorized that Joanna, Theodora, and James were all avatars of Aphrodite. :) https://f95zone.to/threads/melissa-n-collection-2024-03-20-melissa-n.184091/post-12696720

But overall I'm 99% sure there's no magic or divine presence in this story. Other than the story's title, there's nothing that would really indicate it, and I'm pretty sure Melissa has specifically denied it herself at one point. Though I will admit that Melissa tends to be pretty vague when discussing this story and she sometimes has wildly different definitions of words like "realism" and "magic" than I would, so that's what leaves that 1% possibility in my mind that maybe there really is a goddess pulling the strings.
I'm still rooting for Aphrodite to make some reality alterations. It sounds weird to say this, but the only way to make the story realistic, is to use Aphrodite. The story is currently unrealistic - the surgeries, Andrew's disappearance (family, friends, DNA, fingerprints, etc.) Aphrodite is the perfect "deus ex machina" aka "god from the machine", as you pointed out. She can fix every plot hole. She can take the hatred from the fans away from the Samaras family. She can gives us an actual happy ending by giving Andrew the choice to make a heroic self-sacrifice to stay as Elena for the "greater good" and Aphrodite can "retcon" reality so that nobody is hurt by the disappearance of Andrew. As opposed to an ending of Andrew/Elena just having to accept not having a way out of the situation. I just don't see any creative way for Melissa to have this end happily without Aphrodite. *Note - Melissa has never actually said that it would end happily. She has only said multiple times that it would not have a dark ending. A bittersweet ending is very likely at this point.

Now, if I had to bet on what Melissa is going to do, I would agree with you and say that Melissa is probably not going use Aphrodite as a divine presence who can alter reality so that Elena has always been the true wife of Nikos, and the biological mother of Eva and Sofia. Melissa has warned us multiple times that this is not a story to take very seriously.
2023_04_04.png
Yes, I'm very aware of the fact that I'm taking this story way too seriously. :LOL:

I'm curious to hear what type of endings the rest of you are hoping for.

For me, Andrew chooses to stay as Elena. Reality is altered so that Elena has always existed. Nikos has always been the loving husband of Elena. Elena is the real mother of Eva and Sofia. Marina never married Andrew since he never existed, so James can be turned into her real husband without us fans hating on Marina and feeling like the story went too NTR-ish (not that I have any problems with NTR).

Last edited:

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
Am I correct in thinking that since the surgery, only Marina and Sofia (indirectly via phone call with Marina) have acknowledged the Elena is Andrew? Neither Nikos, Eva, or Angeliki have said that.
Only Marina, I believe, and only at the hospital during the flashback. Other than that, the only indication we have that Marina knows that Elena is really Andrew is when she kept trying to use the 'earrings' code word. We didn't hear Sofia's side of the phone conversation, and Marina refers to him as "Aunt Elena" during that call.

Nikos has even gone as far to say he's never heard of Andrew Woods:
ch16-0543.png

Angeliki denied having met Andrew when he still looked like a man:
ch16-0546.png ch16-0547.png

The one time Nikos seems to drop the act is when he says "this isn't a game anymore" and he wants to be with Elena forever, for real:
ch19-0936.png

This line doesn't make any sense if they've really been together for 30 years, as Nikos had been pretending up to that point.

You're actually skipping the more interesting questions there. :p Where does Elena's memory loss come from and what happened the first time Andrew met Aphrodite?
Where are you getting that he met Aphrodite before? Because he says "I know you"? My best guess is that he's talking about the Elena character, not literally Aphrodite. We already know that he went to the salon with Angeliki after leaving the hospital, but we haven't seen that scene play out yet. My guess is that once the makeover is complete, he's going to see the complete character of Elena, in the mirror, at the salon. This could very well be what drives him off the deep end, and could be the cause of the memory loss as well.

MyraTSF

Dec 22, 2023
Only Marina, I believe, and only at the hospital during the flashback. Other than that, the only indication we have that Marina knows that Elena is really Andrew is when she kept trying to use the 'earrings' code word. We didn't hear Sofia's side of the phone conversation, and Marina refers to him as "Aunt Elena" during that call.

Nikos has even gone as far to say he's never heard of Andrew Woods:
View attachment 3466260

Angeliki denied having met Andrew when he still looked like a man:
View attachment 3466272 View attachment 3466275

The one time Nikos seems to drop the act is when he says "this isn't a game anymore" and he wants to be with Elena forever, for real:
View attachment 3466312

This line doesn't make any sense if they've really been together for 30 years, as Nikos had been pretending up to that point.

Where are you getting that he met Aphrodite before? Because he says "I know you"? My best guess is that he's talking about the Elena character, not literally Aphrodite. We already know that he went to the salon with Angeliki after leaving the hospital, but we haven't seen that scene play out yet. My guess is that once the makeover is complete, he's going to see the complete character of Elena, in the mirror, at the salon. This could very well be what drives him off the deep end, and could be the cause of the memory loss as well.
The "too deep method acting" combined with the memory loss could come from a heavy trauma Andrew experience, which should technically be right after leaving the hospital. If we try to stay more medical/"realistic" here then it must have been so bad that his mind escaped into the Elena persona as a defensive mechanism. I'm unsure if just being full in makeup and seeing the new Elena-disguise is what caused the memory loss alone. :unsure: