May 18, 2021
I agree it looks like the encoding is incorrect. If you rename www/save to www/save.bak and then start a new game and save, does it happen again?
I'm a bit of an idiot, but do you mean to rename the folder "save" inside the "www" folder, when i do that it creates a new "save" folder and puts the save game there.

kin-kun

Modder
Jul 10, 2020
I'm a bit of an idiot, but do you mean to rename the folder "save" inside the "www" folder, when i do that it creates a new "save" folder and puts the save game there.
That's fine, do your new saves have the same problem? If so then there's something broken with game or your system. If they don't show the same behavior there is something broken with your save.

May 18, 2021
That's fine, do your new saves have the same problem? If so then there's something broken with game or your system. If they don't show the same behavior there is something broken with your save.
Yea, they all do the same thing. As soon as i re-open the game the text does that, i've tried new games in different slots to see if that was the problem, still didn't work. Since no-one else is having this issue i think it may be my pc, i tried installing the compressed version posted with some bug fixes, but that runs terribly for me and does the same thing.

Shizusan

Nov 21, 2019
Yea, they all do the same thing. As soon as i re-open the game the text does that, i've tried new games in different slots to see if that was the problem, still didn't work. Since no-one else is having this issue i think it may be my pc, i tried installing the compressed version posted with some bug fixes, but that runs terribly for me and does the same thing.
this is a long shot I think I remember having that issue too but like a really long time ago, try set your graphics card setting to quality over performance just out of curiosity I can't remember how I fixed my one. but I set my intel to quality over performance and it fixed a lot of glitches in all games, including the jumbled up text in melty's quest.

Zippix

Sep 7, 2017
You may also want to try to put the extracted game into a folder with no exotic characters in its path/name (like, just extract the game files into 'c:\Meltys\' for one try).
That game folder path and especially ' (1)' (from your attached picture) e.g. may actually be effing things up when the game is trying to load saves. I mean the fact that the menu and a new game works fine but after loading (ergo accessing the save file) it effes things up, may be indicative of that. Or something.
You're working with the (new, 'r') version from the OP, btw, right?

May 18, 2021
this is a long shot I think I remember having that issue too but like a really long time ago, try set your graphics card setting to quality over performance just out of curiosity I can't remember how I fixed my one. but I set my intel to quality over performance and it fixed a lot of glitches in all games, including the jumbled up text in melty's quest.
I have a 5 year old laptop and the GPU is integrated with the CPU, I might just have to wait until i get a new PC.

May 18, 2021
You may also want to try to put the extracted game into a folder with no exotic characters in its path/name (like, just extract the game files into 'c:\Meltys\' for one try).
That game folder path and especially ' (1)' (from your attached picture) e.g. may actually be effing things up when the game is trying to load saves. I mean the fact that the menu and a new game works fine but after loading (ergo accessing the save file) it effes things up, may be indicative of that. Or something.
You're working with the (new, 'r') version from the OP, btw, right?
It should be, i downloaded off the front page. I tried it and it still didn't work, although I've found a temporary fix. If i open and close the game a few times and talk to an NPC twice, the missing text comes back but it's glowing white. But it's playable like that.

Zippix

Sep 7, 2017
It should be, i downloaded off the front page. I tried it and it still didn't work, although I've found a temporary fix. If i open and close the game a few times and talk to an NPC twice, the missing text comes back but it's glowing white. But it's playable like that.
Wow. That makes absolutely no sense; and isn't an ideal way to play a game (understatement!! lol).
So you're saying that, like, after starting a new game, everything works fine, then you save, then you quit, start the game again -the menu works fine-, load said savegame, and the above showed shit happens?
...that is until you close and reopen the game a few more times, after which some different kind of (glowing) shit starts happening, but if you swallow your pride, that way it becomes -sort-of- playable?! :unsure:

I mean... and here I thought *my* computer was the one that tended to act as though having had come from the Twilight Zone... Hehe.

At any rate, that sounds positively insane! Yummy.

I honestly can't fathom how the very same dialogue box could end up displaying different -and what's more, thrice!-, dependant on whether if it's a loaded save and how many times the game has been closed and reopened...
But maybe it's only me having too little imagination. lol

In my experience these are the times when something majorly fundamental is the source of an error. Like perhaps are you trying to run the game from within the .7z archive? Did it extract properly, otherwise? Running it with launcher.exe and not with index.html from within the 'www' folder? Or maybe it takes some time for the game (and all its sub-instances) to close properly on your system, and you are trying to rerun it before that? Or some such...
Don't take it personally, had to ask! Seen things like those happen... :)
I'm having a problem with the saves, whenever i close the game and re-open it the text is broken and corrupted. I think it has something to do with the save files as when i create a new save it disappears until i close the game again.
This is absolutely wrong and makes me think that something along the above lines might be up...

Last edited:
May 18, 2021
Wow. That makes absolutely no sense; and isn't an ideal way to play a game (understatement!! lol).
So you're saying that, like, after starting a new game, everything works fine, then you save, then you quit, start the game again -the menu works fine-, load said savegame, and the above showed shit happens?
...that is until you close and reopen the game a few more times, after which some different kind of (glowing) shit starts happening, but if you swallow your pride, that way it becomes -sort-of- playable?! :unsure:

I mean... and here I thought *my* computer was the one that tended to act as though having had come from the Twilight Zone... Hehe.

At any rate, that sounds positively insane! Yummy.

I honestly can't fathom how the very same dialogue box could end up displaying different -and what's more, thrice!-, dependant on whether if it's a loaded save and how many times the game has been closed and reopened...
But maybe it's only me having too little imagination. lol

In my experience these are the times when something majorly fundamental is the source of an error. Like perhaps are you trying to run the game from within the .7z archive? Did it extract properly, otherwise? Running it with launcher.exe and not with index.html from within the 'www' folder? Or maybe it takes some time for the game (and all its sub-instances) to close properly on your system, and you are trying to rerun it before that? Or some such...
Don't take it personally, had to ask! Seen things like those happen... :)
This is absolutely wrong and makes me think that something along the above lines might be up...
Nah it's fine, i'm new to the site and using these games. Now i read something you just wrote, and i may be an idiot, am i supposed to run the index.html instead of the nw.exe? If i am that gives me a whole new error, just a failure to load some things.

kin-kun

Modder
Jul 10, 2020
Nah it's fine, i'm new to the site and using these games. Now i read something you just wrote, and i may be an idiot, am i supposed to run the index.html instead of the nw.exe? If i am that gives me a whole new error, just a failure to load some things.
If you’re using windows 10 professional, try sandbox mode and see if you get the same behavior. (You will need to download and extract the game again.) If the behavior persists in the sandbox, your hardware is likely broken.

Zippix

Sep 7, 2017
Nah, you're not supposed to run it with index.html - guess you can't either (same error for me btw after now checking); and I actually run it with 'LAUNCHER_x64.exe' and not 'nw.exe' - though I don't think that should make any difference (just checked with nw.exe and everything works fine and is the same). I still can't wrap my head around how something could first display correctly, then weirdly and then different weirdly, yet in a consistent manner. Just defines logic. lol
Is there randomity to how a specific dialogue box looks after loading from the save, or it's always the same (until enough restarts of the game, after which it's different but stays the same again)? Because if it is, then yeah, something is probably dying in there...

But that save game not created until you quit and restart the game - is some next level shit too! xD
Really makes me believe there's some folder path problems, or perhaps permissions problems - but if perchance your folder and files are 'Read-only' and that somehow effects things, then...you shouldn't be able to save, and...that's it. You shouldn't be.

Very weird. Love it. xD

But unfortunately I have no idea what the problem might be. So all I can do is say good luck, and try that sandbox-thingie that kin-kun suggested.

May 18, 2021
Nah, you're not supposed to run it with index.html - guess you can't either (same error for me btw after now checking); and I actually run it with 'LAUNCHER_x64.exe' and not 'nw.exe' - though I don't think that should make any difference (just checked with nw.exe and everything works fine and is the same). I still can't wrap my head around how something could first display correctly, then weirdly and then different weirdly, yet in a consistent manner. Just defines logic. lol
Is there randomity to how a specific dialogue box looks after loading from the save, or it's always the same (until enough restarts of the game, after which it's different but stays the same again)? Because if it is, then yeah, something is probably dying in there...

But that save game not created until you quit and restart the game - is some next level shit too! xD
Really makes me believe there's some folder path problems, or perhaps permissions problems - but if perchance your folder and files are 'Read-only' and that somehow effects things, then...you shouldn't be able to save, and...that's it. You shouldn't be.

Very weird. Love it. xD

But unfortunately I have no idea what the problem might be. So all I can do is say good luck, and try that sandbox-thingie that kin-kun suggested.
Thanks for all the help, i recently switched to a new PC and it was fixed. It must have been a hardware problem, I had been having trouble with my graphics drivers so i don't know if that may have been the problem. Anyways thanks for the help.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Zippix

Shizusan

Nov 21, 2019
can't be hardware I had the same issue it was a software setting / driver for graphics card performance / quality issue the text was jumnbled up on my laptop too. It was definitely graphics card setting

kin-kun

Modder
Jul 10, 2020
can't be hardware I had the same issue it was a software setting / driver for graphics card performance / quality issue the text was jumnbled up on my laptop too. It was definitely graphics card setting
It could be a hardware bug that the software setting works around. That kind of absolute statement requires an intimate of the entire system and some specific debugging. (JTAG to probe the GPU memory and I/O for example.)

4.20 star(s) 47 Votes