Mod Midlife Crisis - Courteous Mod + Walkthrough v34 [thanks for the demos]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes
Aug 7, 2018
Welp another version, and still errors. Tried out your UnRen suggestion, out which .rpa files am I exactly removing (stupid question I know). With the save files you uploaded, where do I put those (another dumb question)? Prior to either version 0.14 or 0.15 I never ran into errors with adding the mod.
Bundling files into archives is a relatively recent change for Midlife Crisis, so previous versions of the game didn't require UnRen to apply the mod. Perfectly understandable if there's some confusion.

After extracting rpa packages, remove any file with an .rpa extension from Midlife Crisis/game (namely scripts.rpa, images.rpa and Chap3.rpa till Chap17.rpa).

Being asked to overwrite files when dropping the mod's /game folder into your Midlife Crisis folder is a good indicator that everything went well. Whereas getting an error immediately after starting the game is a good indicator you've missed removing an .rpa file :p

Saves: drop the unzipped "saves" folder into Midlife Crisis/game. To load them go to page 12 of your saves, slots 1-5 (if you already have saves in those slots and don't want to overwrite them: rename my save from e.g. 12-5-LT1.save to 16-5-LT1.save and it'll be on page 16, slot 5 instead)

Hope this helped :D

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018
I have this error, anybody know solution to this ?

View attachment 615835
Nefastus switched from jpg to webp for better compression. Looks like a jpg reference was missed.
The attached script should fix it.

EDIT: Actually, there's still a few folders of jpgs while most images are webp now. If you run into more exceptions best post them in the Midlife Crisis main-thread. You can probably just hit "ignore" to get past them if any more come up.

Last edited:

Soul_less327

Dec 24, 2019
Is there not a way to use this mod without using UnRen also? I'm never able to load saves from one version to the next, but I'd rather not mess with UnRen, I'm just not very comfortable with it. I guess I'l have to drop the mod for now.

Aug 7, 2018
Is there not a way to use this mod without using UnRen also? I'm never able to load saves from one version to the next, but I'd rather not mess with UnRen, I'm just not very comfortable with it. I guess I'l have to drop the mod for now.
For compressed versions like Abhai's compressed v0.17 you can simply drop the mod's game folder into the Midlife Crisis folder as usual. UnRen is only required for the official version.

Soul_less327

Dec 24, 2019
For compressed versions like Abhai's compressed v0.17 you can simply drop the mod's game folder into the Midlife Crisis folder as usual. UnRen is only required for the official version.
I only use the official versions. I can't stand the loss of quality that comes with the compressed versions. I had to completely restart the game after the version before this also and I'm just not ready to do it again. I'll come back to this mod if you ever get it to work without UnRen. If not, I'm just one guy and it really isn't that big of a deal anyway. No worries.

WhY NoT?!

Sep 2, 2019
I only use the official versions. I can't stand the loss of quality that comes with the compressed versions. I had to completely restart the game after the version before this also and I'm just not ready to do it again. I'll come back to this mod if you ever get it to work without UnRen. If not, I'm just one guy and it really isn't that big of a deal anyway. No worries.

You are not the only one that cant play the game with this mod anymore... but it seems that our dev is to busy to look for the problem and fix this mod so everyone can enjoy it.

Aug 7, 2018
You are not the only one that cant play the game with this mod anymore... but it seems that our dev is to busy to look for the problem and fix this mod so everyone can enjoy it.
At this point I'm perfectly willing to admit: I have no clue why saves keep breaking for some people. I've tested everything that made sense to me and a bunch of things that "shouldn't really make a difference but maybe do in very specific cases??".

If there is anything people for whom it doesn't works do differently than those for whom it does then I don't know what it is. Ren'py exceptions for failing to load are woefully generic: "Couldn't find the point in the script to scroll back to". Which should literally never happen from one modded version to the next. Yet apparently it frequently does. For some folks, but never for any of my test saves.

Being unable to reproduce the issue means any attempt to fix it is a shot in the dark. The answer to "If I do X, do saves still work?" is always positive in my tests, which would be great if the same was true for everyone else...

Modded version X to modded v.X+n? yep, saves always work for me.
Modded v.X to clean install of v.X+n? sure, works.
Compressed to official? - yes.
Official to compressed? - ditto.
Fast forwarding from the start through the entirety of the game with most recent mod applied? - works like a charm.
Saving at random intervals with an unmodded game and afterwards applying the mod? - certainly not a comprehensive test run, but those saves I did test worked, as always.

A while ago I went back to the few cases in which I fixed a mistyped variable and added default values to both the 'correct' and mistyped one, just so it won't break regardless of which one is checked at a later point and which one is stored in your save. Does it even make a difference? Hopefully for some.

This has almost turned into a mini-rant by now, so I'll end it here. If I've missed anything from the glaringly obvious to the arcanely obtuse - feel free to point it out and I'll give it a spin.

Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
Unren is easy to use, drop it in the folder. Run it and press 1. Wait and then press enter to exit

negisensei1

Jul 13, 2017

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/version07.rpy", line 670, in script
    c "What do you mean, [playe_name] and I aren't dating or even fucking."
KeyError: u'playe_name'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "D:\Games\MidLifeCrisis-0.17-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 652, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact, *args, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Games\MidLifeCrisis-0.17-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1199, in say
    who(what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Games\MidLifeCrisis-0.17-pc\renpy\character.py", line 1003, in __call__
    what = what_pattern.replace("[what]", sub(what, translate=translate))
  File "D:\Games\MidLifeCrisis-0.17-pc\renpy\character.py", line 985, in sub
    return renpy.substitutions.substitute(s, scope=scope, force=force, translate=translate)[0]
  File "D:\Games\MidLifeCrisis-0.17-pc\renpy\substitutions.py", line 242, in substitute
    s = formatter.vformat(s, (), kwargs)
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 563, in vformat
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 585, in _vformat
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 646, in get_field
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 605, in get_value

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
MidLifeCrisis 0.17
Sun Apr 19 12:57:17 2020

Aug 7, 2018
password for zip file?
Courteous mod v9.7z
tks
no password required

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "D:\Games\MidLifeCrisis-0.17-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 652, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact, *args, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Games\MidLifeCrisis-0.17-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1199, in say
    who(what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Games\MidLifeCrisis-0.17-pc\renpy\character.py", line 1003, in __call__
    what = what_pattern.replace("[what]", sub(what, translate=translate))
  File "D:\Games\MidLifeCrisis-0.17-pc\renpy\character.py", line 985, in sub
    return renpy.substitutions.substitute(s, scope=scope, force=force, translate=translate)[0]
  File "D:\Games\MidLifeCrisis-0.17-pc\renpy\substitutions.py", line 242, in substitute
    s = formatter.vformat(s, (), kwargs)
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 563, in vformat
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 585, in _vformat
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 646, in get_field
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 605, in get_value

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
MidLifeCrisis 0.17
Sun Apr 19 12:57:17 2020
Fixed.

Aug 7, 2018
Does the mod work With game Version 0,17? if so,which?
Yeah, it does. You can check the OP to see if the mod has been updated to the latest version of the game.
ModVGameV.jpg

I keep the two latest versions of the mod in the OP because it helps some people work around Ren'py save compatibility weirdness. If that doesn't affect you, you can just grab the most recent version (Mod v9 for Midlife Crisis v0.17).

Also, using an older version of the mod won't break newer versions of the game. It would just miss walkthrough and fixes for the new chapter.

PantherAusfA

Oct 7, 2019
Yeah, it does. You can check the OP to see if the mod has been updated to the latest version of the game.
View attachment 630719

I keep the two latest versions of the mod in the OP because it helps some people work around Ren'py save compatibility weirdness. If that doesn't affect you, you can just grab the most recent version (Mod v9 for Midlife Crisis v0.17).

Also, using an older version of the mod won't break newer versions of the game. It would just miss walkthrough and fixes for the new chapter.
View attachment 630719

aw,i see. thx for the explanation!

Dr. Loveless

Aug 30, 2017
Hey based on looking at your great mod, I changed the last chapter version17.rpy.

I've animated parts of the sex scene and rearranged the order of some of the dialogue (she wants to get preggers) when he finally sleeps with his daughter! I felt the original authors' version was a little lacking considering the build up!

I spent a few hours on this and it was my first time looking at renpy code, let me know what you guys think!

INSTALLATION
Just backup the version17.rpy you have, and place my version17.rpy in the MidLifeCrisis\game folder of midlife crisis!
I found a save, so copy it to your (%AppData%) \Roaming\RenPy\MidLifeCrisis folder! When you load the game it'll be on page 13 of the saves

PS. When I have time I'll probably look at other sections of the game.

herooo69

Jul 12, 2018
hey thank you for the mod, but i'm still confused where i've to place the mod, in 'game' folder or in 'MidlifeCrisis' folder?
thank you in advance.

Aug 7, 2018
hey thank you for the mod, but i'm still confused where i've to place the mod, in 'game' folder or in 'MidlifeCrisis' folder?
thank you in advance.
If you're playing the official (non-compressed) version: first unpack archives with UnRen, option 1 (or the rpa tool of your choice).

The modified scripts go into Midlife Crisis/game. You can either merge the mod's game folder and Midlife Crisis' game folder or copy the scripts directly into Midlife Crisis/game, but you don't want something like Midlife Crisis/game/game.
You'll know everything went right when it asks you to overwrite the old scripts.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes