john_adams

Mar 28, 2019
Is the save file link in the OP broken? I shamefully deleted my save files after fapping too many times to this game, but ah shit here we go again.

privitude

Jun 26, 2017
Is anyone else beginning to lose faith in the "sponsor creator while he makes a game" process? Zombie Life, Big Brother, Teachers' Pets, My Sweet Neighbors - and of course a bunch of much smaller titles - seems more and more like an inevitability that the developer either burns out, gets bored, isn't making the money they expected, or runs into health/RL issues and the game stops development. I could count on one hand the number of these games I've played that actually saw a true, organic completion. Very frustrating.

Microtom

Sep 5, 2017
Is anyone else beginning to lose faith in the "sponsor creator while he makes a game" process? Zombie Life, Big Brother, Teachers' Pets, My Sweet Neighbors - and of course a bunch of much smaller titles - seems more and more like an inevitability that the developer either burns out, gets bored, isn't making the money they expected, or runs into health/RL issues and the game stops development. I could count on one hand the number of these games I've played that actually saw a true, organic completion. Very frustrating.
These games didn't even exist before sites like patreon. It might not be perfect, but it's an evolution for the better.

Reactions: box777

privitude

Jun 26, 2017
These games didn't even exist before sites like patreon. It might not be perfect, but it's an evolution for the better.
None of the games I listed exist now. Bits and pieces of them exist. I used to Patron these developers (I still do a couple of them); and I didn't mind the fact that by the time the game released I would be paying way more than I would for a AAA game ($5 a month for 2-3 years? That's $120-$180!). I didn't mind the fact that I would be paying the price of 2-3 AAA games for a something most people would be getting legally for free.

But there comes a point where you've poured hundreds of dollars into the system after a few years, and you don't have a single completed product where you start to say "OK, woa. What am I doing here? What am I investing in?"

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
($5 a month for 2-3 years? That's $120-$180!). I didn't mind the fact that I would be paying the price of 2-3 AAA games for a something most people would be getting legally for free.

But there comes a point where you've poured hundreds of dollars into the system after a few years, and you don't have a single completed product where you start to say "OK, woa. What am I doing here? What am I investing in?"
Nothing stops you from adjusting your pledge here and there. Simply pay as much as you like to pay (like $5 when ever you want to download a update) and it's fine.

That said, there are of course problems with this model. Most devs certainly start highly motivated as a hobby and things come to be very different once theres some kind of pressure to spend more time on the project and once the initial motivation is gone. But judging that is, at least in my opinion, mostly up the "patreon/investor" (just like it's up to any other investor to judge the stock/business he's investing in). The easy solution to this problem is simply to give as much as the game is worth to you right now. You get a few updates a year with good content? Fine, give that dev 15 to 20 bucks a year and if something bad happens, you can simply treat it as some kind of tip and you won't have overspent.

Walg

Visual art is my magnet. Currently inactive
GFX Designer
Donor
Oct 5, 2018
Lets agree on one basic principle:

You charge 1 a month, you UPDATE 1 a MONTH.

Too complicated?
See this right here is a problem. Some dev's don't do this for varying reasons (The amount of time needed to create content for the proper dev's and some not so upstanding dev's will say a variety of things) so it really depends on the dev.

ICSTOR's case, well, it does take time to get content but if you had to compare against other dev's then there are others who do make their work more "complete" compared to ICSTOR who are able to release versions quicker. Still, it's decent work though.

Congratulations,
You just posted the stupidest post from today : ).

Your prize you ask ?
You have the honor to disable your account and leave (y)
Surprised you don't have a meme for that :LOL:

box777

May 10, 2017
See this right here is a problem. Some dev's don't do this for varying reasons (The amount of time needed to create content for the proper dev's and some not so upstanding dev's will say a variety of things) so it really depends on the dev.

ICSTOR's case, well, it does take time to get content but if you had to compare against other dev's then there are others who do make their work more "complete" compared to ICSTOR who are able to release versions quicker. Still, it's decent work though.

That doesn't affect the basic principle.

PAY AS YOU GO.

If you need 6 months, the process must be:

"I pledge to pay X amount to be charged WHEN AND ONLY WHEN update drops."

Thats how the problem is solved. Thats how many contracts in real life work.

PATREON has the wrong CLOCK. The system clock must be UPDATES. Not TIME.

box777

May 10, 2017
There's no fucking way people will enjoy the experience of waiting forever. I much rather wait for complete products.

Regardless, the market will decide. If they still make a ton of money dropping 1 or 2 updates a year, thats just how the market is set.

Reactions: Balthlazar

Walg

Visual art is my magnet. Currently inactive
GFX Designer
Donor
Oct 5, 2018

PAY AS YOU GO.

See this is funny. I was just in a PM about this.

It really depends on your mindset. If you're thinking about ICSTOR's Patreon page as a product/client type arrangement then sure you're right and you should do as you please but for many dev's, when you pledge it's about being a patron of the arts and supporting the dev with cash to help their development.

Of course it's up to you how you view it but that's how Patreon works in many cases.

J..D

Naughty Attic Gaming
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019

PAY AS YOU GO.

Then that wouldn't be the responibilty of the creator, that's YOUR own choice.

You can easily cancel all your pledges and note down your amount, then when they release another update you can pay that amount times the months he worked on it.

Easy, done...

Patreon isn't perfect....not by a long shot.
But the only one responsible for your pledge and you paying, is YOU...
You have 100% control over it.

If you don't like it, leave it.... Simple as that (People know that i am not a fan of Icstor, that's why is no longer pledge to him)
But if he finishes this game, i am going to pledge all the months that i missed.

And like my friend @Walg said to me.
Without the montly paying system, a lot of devs wouldn't even be out here today and a lot of games wouldn't either.
So again, patreon isn't perfect... And there are enough assholes that will try to take advantage of people, but in the end... YOU are the the one in control of your own wallet.

3.80 star(s) 404 Votes