ThresholdMGD

Game Developer
Oct 31, 2017
v26.4 is now out with a long Livewire scene, a Duo of Amber scenes, a myriad of QoL updates and bugfixes, and a bit more!
Hotfix for an android issue soonish tho hotfix out

Quick question, what were your source of inspiration for the game? I can think of monster girl quest, encyclopedia or even Labyrinth but maybe something else all together
Provided this was aimed at me, ye MGQ and MGE were inspirations for MGD, but there's like, a load of other monster girl games that played into it too, but it'd def take awhile to recall everything.

Why might this be tagged transformation? Would greatly appreciate a fella enlightening me.
Probably due to the mushroom dick perk (not as bad as it sounds), or some of the MG fights? I didn't put the tag there.

I think I found some bugs in the game.
I'm running 26.1a
  • The dialogue regarding Numb Self and Endure says that the damage is Increased by a percentage not decreased.
  • None of the Perks that involve increasing the minimum number of dice rolls work. Only one d20 will roll in every given circumstance regardless of item or perk.
  • The background inside of the infinite Labyrinth "defaulted" back to the forest dungeon's background instead of the gray labyrinth background after a rest. I fought a Lizard Girl in the Forest Dungeon background (not the forest or mountain BG.)
Also, I have a criticism with the Lizard Girl's victory sex.

I think unavoidable victory sex takes away from the feeling of choice the player has.

I think it's important that it's a choice the player has upon defeating the enemy. Not only for gameplay reasons if a player doesn't want to sit through the scene, but it helps with the roleplaying element much better. Correct me if I'm wrong but only the generic Lizard Girl has forced victory sex in the game at the moment right?
Some of those have been fixed for the update coming out.
But I'l do some thinking on the victory scene bit, I'm pretty sure there's some that do smaller instances of it but it could also be the context/tone/length of the scene throwing you off

New update is looking great :KEK:
While I did want to focus on content in August there was a lot of bug fix and QoL stuff that ended up occurring. Again.
I even wanted to do another bug fix post around the middle of the month given the amount of linger stuff after the bug fix on the 6th, but then some things happened for the QoL and a bugfix that felt was working on that ended up putting it off into a full update.
Which is then also intermixed with contacting/responding to artists for the multiple on going commissions, delegating/talking with felt about his work and doing bug testing for it to try and make sure nothing explodes, doing back and forth on said work as well so its something I'm happy with, while working on my own fixes/QoL then eventually into being free to work on planning out or otherwise writing content, then doing editing passes on that content with my editor, as well as then editing the commissioned content and going back and forth on that.
Which the editing passes greatly ensure I don't need to do the agonizing number of reports from fans to go back and forth on that I used to go through to fix up issues.

So while a lot of your posts since my last one have been rife with a disingenuous angle to them, I'm still sure you like the game. And the very least you could do for yourself is to at least check out the more animated UI and other improvements, or the 3000-4000 word long livewire scene if it strikes your fancy, maybe the Amber scenes, before posting "New update is looking great :KEK: " and provide actual feedback on it?

By all means though I'm fairly discontent with the lack of forward momentum on content main story or otherwise, likely more than anyone else.

Last edited:

N1OFP

Jul 23, 2023
I crave for more Sophia scenes that will one day bless me, and also more bag mimic scenes like leaving the bag in your crotch until the next morning.
(lmao, right after typing this comment, i went to sleep on the new version and the bag mimic scene i was imagining happened, i guess i should keep updated more often)
Anyways, I'll be sure to check out the update and read those new scenes, thanks for everything11 {shift stopped working}

Last edited:

Noah Neim

Nov 25, 2020
While I did want to focus on content in August there was a lot of bug fix and QoL stuff that ended up occurring. Again.
I even wanted to do another bug fix post around the middle of the month given the amount of linger stuff after the bug fix on the 6th, but then some things happened for the QoL and a bugfix that felt was working on that ended up putting it off into a full update.
Which is then also intermixed with contacting/responding to artists for the multiple on going commissions, delegating/talking with felt about his work and doing bug testing for it to try and make sure nothing explodes, doing back and forth on said work as well so its something I'm happy with, while working on my own fixes/QoL then eventually into being free to work on planning out or otherwise writing content, then doing editing passes on that content with my editor, as well as then editing the commissioned content and going back and forth on that.
Which the editing passes greatly ensure I don't need to do the agonizing number of reports from fans to go back and forth on that I used to go through to fix up issues.

So while a lot of your posts since my last one have been rife with a disingenuous angle to them, I'm still sure you like the game. And the very least you could do for yourself is to at least check out the more animated UI and other improvements, or the 3000-4000 word long livewire scene if it strikes your fancy, maybe the Amber scenes, before posting "New update is looking great :KEK: " and provide actual feedback on it?

By all means though I'm fairly discontent with the lack of forward momentum on content main story or otherwise, likely more than anyone else.
Hey, that's good, one's own discontent might lead to change and improvements, or drowning in self pity, its up in the air, though i wont be too optimistic or pessimistic, i'll just patiently wait for results, either outcome is acceptable.

As for advice, while i'd always love to criticize if not shit on it but it just felt like i was talking to a wall of drying paint, so why bother after that.
Though since i was asked, it'd be rude not to oblige.

Though i think i made a statement already about you divying up the work between felt and val, which resulted in that one funny update where it didnt even look like you worked on the game at all, that's actually a good thing
Solo dev's are either too poor or too prideful, or a bit of both to accept help, a lil sad from them honestly, but hey, all for protecting your vision right?
Naturally, it comes with its own set of problems, if you're paying them, it's a budget issue, if not, it's a quality and discontent (from the people volunteering) issue, it's upto you which one you want to deal with
I find the latter easier, your fans are both plentiful and loyal enough (given that they engage with the dev rambles talk, or the fact they think removing nonsense was a good choice), bug fixing isnt something you should be bother wasting time on, not that it shouldn't be done, but it shouldnt be you who does it.
Of course, spending your time checking whether they did everythhing correctly, trusting them that they didnt ruin something intentionally, and assuming they wont ask for something despite saying they were just volonteering are definitely risks and things. which might even waste more of your time, but if it doesnt, you can actually focus on the stuff that matters.
The checking is what i'd be most worried about, sending someone worse than you to bugfix or help with code will have you spending more time debugging than actually doing something meanigful, so find a good renpy dev i guess.
Since you have felt and val helping with writing already, with some direction maybe the game can pick up pace again, though this is an incredibly idealistic interpretation, there's plenty of issues that can come up, i made fun of it but its not without reason that someone might work solo.

As for liking the game, i did, the relationships what sold me on it, everything else was kinda secondary, though i dont like it as much as before, but still whatever gripes i have with your are seperate for the potential what the game could be, though time will tell on that.

A lack of main story progress isnt even the issue, it's just a matter of volume, promises and maybe broken expectations
People have been begging for camilla content for ages now, cant say i agree with them, i find her boring, but still, if players ask for something, there might be a good reason for it, and listening might provide good results too, up to you though, maybe theres a reason aswell.
There's also just the level of depth, the forest, the dungeon, and the town feel so incoporably dense to something like the caverns, i mean seriously, what's the point of that location anyways
Sure, it's a more recent addition (compared to the forest obviously) so it cant have the same level of content and quality as something existing ssince day 1. Im sorry to say though, im not of that opinion. It's been years since the caverns existed, even if it was specifically meant to be a small and short section, it still feels laughable, forgetabble and boring, and you've had years to change that, obviously some thing could've taken priority, but i feel that's much closer to an excuse than it is to a reason.
Same kinda applies to the labirinth and capital, but ill give those a pass given they're barely a year old, and you've been going hard on ceris content too, i can tell who's the favorite hellhound
Though it almost feels intentional, how 'lackluster' the updates are, like you're preparing for one massive release to shut up the negative crowd, well, hopefully you're that scheming!

And the best for last, i wont change, you can lurk in the thread and believe me to be disengenious, you're allowed to do so, and i will simply continue to do so untill jannies tell me im breaking rules, it's simply how i've decided to approach you as a person and a topic based on my experience and interactions with you, it's unlikely to change unless you or i change as a person, still, best of luck on your game!

Last edited:

Birchwood64

Nov 1, 2020
Hey, that's good, one's own discontent might lead to change and improvements, or drowning in self pity, its up in the air, though i wont be too optimistic or pessimistic, i'll just patiently wait for results, either outcome is acceptable.

As for advice, while i'd always love to criticize if not shit on it but it just felt like i was talking to a wall of drying paint, so why bother after that.
Though since i was asked, it'd be rude not to oblige.

Though i think i made a statement already about you divying up the work between felt and val, which resulted in that one funny update where it didnt even look like you worked on the game at all, that's actually a good thing
Solo dev's are either too poor or too prideful, or a bit of both to accept help, a lil sad from them honestly, but hey, all for protecting your vision right?
Naturally, it comes with its own set of problems, if you're paying them, it's a budget issue, if not, it's a quality and discontent (from the people volunteering) issue, it's upto you which one you want to deal with
I find the latter easier, your fans are both plentiful and loyal enough (given that they engage with the dev rambles talk, or the fact they think removing nonsense was a good choice), bug fixing isnt something you should be bother wasting time on, not that it shouldn't be done, but it shouldnt be you who does it.
Of course, spending your time checking whether they did everythhing correctly, trusting them that they didnt ruin something intentionally, and assuming they wont ask for something despite saying they were just volonteering are definitely risks and things. which might even waste more of your time, but if it doesnt, you can actually focus on the stuff that matters.
The checking is what i'd be most worried about, sending someone worse than you to bugfix or help with code will have you spending more time debugging than actually doing something meanigful, so find a good renpy dev i guess.
Since you have felt and val helping with writing already, with some direction maybe the game can pick up pace again, though this is an incredibly idealistic interpretation, there's plenty of issues that can come up, i made fun of it but its not without reason that someone might work solo.

As for liking the game, i did, the relationships what sold me on it, everything else was kinda secondary, though i dont like it as much as before, but still whatever gripes i have with your are seperate for the potential what the game could be, though time will tell on that.

A lack of main story progress isnt even the issue, it's just a matter of volume, promises and maybe broken expectations
People have been begging for camilla content for ages now, cant say i agree with them, i find her boring, but still, if players ask for something, there might be a good reason for it, and listening might provide good results too, up to you though, maybe theres a reason aswell.
There's also just the level of depth, the forest, the dungeon, and the town feel so incoporably dense to something like the caverns, i mean seriously, what's the point of that location anyways
Sure, it's a more recent addition (compared to the forest obviously) so it cant have the same level of content and quality as something existing ssince day 1. Im sorry to say though, im not of that opinion. It's been years since the caverns existed, even if it was specifically meant to be a small and short section, it still feels laughable, forgetabble and boring, and you've had years to change that, obviously some thing could've taken priority, but i feel that's much closer to an excuse than it is to a reason.
Same kinda applies to the labirinth and capital, but ill give those a pass given they're barely a year old, and you've been going hard on ceris content too, i can tell who's the favorite hellhound
Though it almost feels intentional, how 'lackluster' the updates are, like you're preparing for one massive release to shut up the negative crowd, well, hopefully you're that scheming!

And the best for last, i wont change, you can lurk in the thread and believe me to be disengenious, you're allowed to do so, and i will simply continue to do so untill jannies tell me im breaking rules, it's simply how i've decided to approach you as a person and a topic based on my experience and interactions with you, it's unlikely to change unless you or i change as a person, still, best of luck on your game!
He has some, if crassly put, sound advice here. I am of the opinion that knowing a scene is written by someone else than Thresh is somewhat offputting. No shade on Felt and Val, but it is Thresh that put me into this and who made me love this game. They are, to put it bluntly, assistants. Bugfixing, frameworking, and general helpful advice is where they should be...unless Thresh decides to burn it all down, though i have yet to see signs of this :whistle::coffee:.

Another thing he talks about is the lack of content for certain areas. Im all for taking a short detour to make a candy shop in the woods, heck that place has one of the best characters in the game, but i'd appreciate spreading them out to other areas and not just the forest. Maybe put another candy shop in the cavern inspired by the chum bucket from spoongebob and have the attendants be called Hands-on and Freckle for the obvious Hansel and Gretel referance (Big boobas tho, very important)

But whatever you do don't feel captured by what the fans want, (like more camilla plspls or another arachne winkwink), that is not a road you'd wanna go down. You need to do this the way you think would be the best for the game, not the fans. I've been a lurker for years and tried loads of the mods to just get more MGD but my opinion is not worth as much as the Thresh opinion

TL;DR Give the author more time to author, and let the author do what helps him be good author. He is good author when he cares, and caring comes from doing what author wants

hexkitty01

Jan 19, 2021
<sighs> Welp, time to drop my fave mods into another version and hope they work... someday Azure Blaze and the Plappening won't work any more and I will be heartbroken. No ding against the dev, of course, or the mod devs either, it's just that I really REALLY love the extra Beris content (mostly because I LOVE her SO much).

Feb 10, 2020
The game has modding support, so I think it's hard to disagree author should do what author wants to do.
Never really got this argument. Mods are neat, and can help fill specific niches that otherwise might not make it into the game or are lacking, but... they aren't official content. Fucking Gren notwithstanding. It's not the same as something part of the base experience. Y'know?

Incompetent Dastard

Jan 8, 2024
Never really got this argument. Mods are neat, and can help fill specific niches that otherwise might not make it into the game or are lacking, but... they aren't official content. Fucking Gren notwithstanding. It's not the same as something part of the base experience. Y'know?
It's not the same as the base game experience, but uh... pretty sure a huge point of mods that they add stuff that isn't in the base game. I think official content made by an author who doesn't really care about the content itself tends to be lacking, and certainly detracts from the game overall if the author would have instead been making something they actually care for.

I guess it sucks if the author what the author works on is something you don't care much about, or even dislike? I still think it's better long-term for an author to work on what they like rather then what people want for a game though.

Reactions: Birchwood64
Feb 10, 2020
It's not the same as the base game experience, but uh... pretty sure a huge point of mods that they add stuff that isn't in the base game. I think official content made by an author who doesn't really care about the content itself tends to be lacking, and certainly detracts from the game overall if the author would have instead been making something they actually care for.

I guess it sucks if the author what the author works on is something you don't care much about, or even dislike? I still think it's better long-term for an author to work on what they like rather then what people want for a game though.
I simply don't really consider it a pro of any game. Neat to have but, I'm not really playing the game for the mods. Like, yeah Azure Blaze is cool, but I'd still just rather have more actual Beris content. Apologies if I'm not explaining this well. Not saying that Thresh needs to drop whatever plans to instead add more elsewhere, even if it wouldn't hurt to wait a bit longer for that.

Reactions: Incompetent Dastard

Mars45

Sep 3, 2024
I feel like this game is missing some Anal material on the MC considering is supposed to be a weakness

hexkitty01

Jan 19, 2021
OK, I need some help!
Downloaded 26.4, last version I had was (well, still is) 26b. When I start, I get this.
mgd_26_4_error code.jpg
I'm not Ren'Py smart.
Can anyone help?
If I "Ignore," game starts & loads but I can't go anywhere on the adventuring map. It also gives me a "You found a guild respec certificate" msg (whatever that means), then goes to the town square menu as normal.
Yes my save is in town square.

Thanks in advance.

MasterBlaxter

Nov 10, 2017
I simply don't really consider it a pro of any game. Neat to have but, I'm not really playing the game for the mods. Like, yeah Azure Blaze is cool, but I'd still just rather have more actual Beris content. Apologies if I'm not explaining this well. Not saying that Thresh needs to drop whatever plans to instead add more elsewhere, even if it wouldn't hurt to wait a bit longer for that.
It's funny to say this about Beris in particular, because Sala wrote all of her roleplay scenes if I'm remembering correctly. Thresh only did her introduction and initial scenes. The only Inn content she's gotten since the Labyrinth that wasn't from me was an updated talk event.

I've also found official content that's been added for other characters to be hit or miss at times. Zhuan's additional Shizu scenes are jarringly different than her previous ones as an example. Personally, I think additional content for any character is usually a good thing, 'official' or not.

ThresholdMGD

Game Developer
Oct 31, 2017
v26.4b is now out to solidify the hot fix with a few other small fixes.

OK, I need some help!
Downloaded 26.4, last version I had was (well, still is) 26b. When I start, I get this.
View attachment 3994937
I'm not Ren'Py smart.
Can anyone help?
If I "Ignore," game starts & loads but I can't go anywhere on the adventuring map. It also gives me a "You found a guild respec certificate" msg (whatever that means), then goes to the town square menu as normal.
Yes my save is in town square.

Thanks in advance.
most times this error message has come up its been from an older version plappening mod, so make sure you take out any of those if you have them.

It's funny to say this about Beris in particular, because Sala wrote all of her roleplay scenes if I'm remembering correctly. Thresh only did her introduction and initial scenes. The only Inn content she's gotten since the Labyrinth that wasn't from me was an updated talk event.

I've also found official content that's been added for other characters to be hit or miss at times. Zhuan's additional Shizu scenes are jarringly different than her previous ones as an example. Personally, I think additional content for any character is usually a good thing, 'official' or not.
Writer aside it can also be hit or miss due to the content/kink/fetish a scene actually has too with people.

I am of the opinion that knowing a scene is written by someone else than Thresh is somewhat offputting. No shade on Felt and Val, but it is Thresh that put me into this and who made me love this game. They are, to put it bluntly, assistants. Bugfixing, frameworking, and general helpful advice is where they should be.
I mean that's fair, I have had people say MGD is the first time they've enjoyed text based smut.
I do want to have more stuff by Val and potentially other writers though, like Gren where the character is entirely done by that person so there's less potential for things feeling different. Though even me going back to add content to existing characters can feel that way with how much my writing has improved.

Another thing he talks about is the lack of content for certain areas. Im all for taking a short detour to make a candy shop in the woods, heck that place has one of the best characters in the game
ye it do be like that when there's a very substantial amount of locations and characters and only so much can be worked on at a time, if I'm adding to existing content in the mountain people will ask why not moving forward in the capital, or if working on capital why not working on earlier locations.
And ye Venefica quest kinda was a 'whole thing' where i both have regrets, but also no regrets. But also regrets.

but i'd appreciate spreading them out to other areas and not just the forest. Maybe put another candy shop in the cavern inspired by the chum bucket from spoongebob and have the attendants be called Hands-on and Freckle for the obvious Hansel and Gretel referance (Big boobas tho, very important)
Do you mean adding content like that to other places or adding Venefica to other places?

But whatever you do don't feel captured by what the fans want, (like more camilla plspls or another arachne winkwink), that is not a road you'd wanna go down. You need to do this the way you think would be the best for the game, not the fans. I've been a lurker for years and tried loads of the mods to just get more MGD but my opinion is not worth as much as the Thresh opinion

TL;DR Give the author more time to author, and let the author do what helps him be good author. He is good author when he cares, and caring comes from doing what author wants
I mean ye doing the work on things I want to does help in some cases, but regardless if it's not content someone was wanting/waiting/hoping for, someone will always be an amount of miffed that I didn't give that character content, but that's just development in general in a way. xD
But I'll keep doing my best.

Felt does the code things, Val is the one who helps with editing my writing and is the one primarily available to write stuff.
And the game has been getting updates for a while now in a 30 day span each, but I understand if you only care about the content end of things.

The game do be split on a few axis of interaction, like relationships, written smut, and battlesex things, which I know there's people who like one over the other.
Who's your favorite character btw?

I mean, I wanna add more of the main story and capital.
And Camilla did get some new content last year sometime, though you might not count that given it was penned by someone else.
And I do have more stuff I'd like to add to her, but the same goes for a lot of characters, and there's only so much one can work on at a time.

Progression path and space to add more to over time. Which I do have quests in mind similar to the ones on the mountain.
And as for why it hasn't gotten much, the Labyrinth creation 'adventure' and other content therein kinda overshadowed fleshing it out more.

Ceris do be very good, tho for Ushris and Iabel I'd like to give them a bit more of a progression pathway of sorts, which is why they keep getting put off, aside from the update to Iabel's floor. And atm Beris just has the most content out of them so she's less of a priority.
And I'll again just presume you don't count balancing, QoL or otherwise as updates you care about.
While I don't have a surprise hidden pocket update to slap people with I do want to work on more content things, regardless of form it ends up taking.

Less lurk and moreso read through whenever I do an update.

lnppo

Jun 23, 2018
It's a little funny that even though an update was literally just released people ignore it to argue about Thresh's productivity.

Although to be fair, when the new content is just 3 scenes with random side characters and the previous few non-letter updates have had even less new scenes than that, I can't entirely blame them.
Downloading a new update just to load your save, travel to an NPC or two, click a menu option and read their new scenes then save and quit to wait for the next update is....not exactly an optimal experience, even if you wait a few updates to play the game again.

Noah Neim

Nov 25, 2020
Who's your favorite character btw?
Kinda hard to say
I'd be bffs with mika and perpetua, throatfuck beris so she shuts the fuck up, enjoy ancilla relaxation service, teach lillian cock worship, have tea with ushris, definitely stroke kotone's tails, rika.... idk, hope to see more of her soon, she could tank or soar through the rankings
Im not sold enough on any particular girl to call them a favorite, but these are the ones i like in equal proportion

Feb 10, 2020

Thing is that extra content is still official, not modded

MasterBlaxter

Nov 10, 2017
Writer aside it can also be hit or miss due to the content/kink/fetish a scene actually has too with people.
Of course, different people have different tastes. I take no issue with that. My problem with Zhuan's Shizu scenes is the tone and the writing itself. The scenes themselves are thematically in line with Shizu's other maledom content. I just don't think Zhuan did a good job with them. Other opinions may vary.

Thing is that extra content is still official, not modded
I suppose for me that is a distinction without a difference. I'd understand if you were asking for more content that Thresh himself wrote, and maybe I'm misunderstanding you and that is indeed what you mean. My fault in that case. Lately though, official content has been written by Thresh, or Val, or Sala, or Zhuan, or someone else I'm probably forgetting. I think Val has provided more scenes than Thresh over the last several updates at this point. Which is perfectly fine - I for one am glad Thresh is bringing in other people to help him out so he can focus on specific priorities instead of scrambling around trying to cover as many bases as he can by himself. But to me, when you have that many other writers providing scenes, one more makes little difference. Modder content might not be officially sanctioned, but more content is more content. I think most people are happy when their favorite characters get more stuff regardless of who provides it.

4.60 star(s) 87 Votes