VN Ren'Py Abandoned Moonlight Sins [Ch. 1-4] [ThEngineer]

4.80 star(s) 5 Votes

thengineer

Moonlight Sins
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2018
Theres an issue when I open the phone after seeing it in the church and finishing the paperwork right before bed. Apparently it just caused issues.
Are you using old saves? They dont work, although you can start straight from chapter 3 if you check the download link in the spoilers of the OP

Reactions: Canto Forte

Trasher2018

Engaged Member
Aug 21, 2018
The tech is good, but I dont get immersed into the story. I like slow paced games, but here It is to much "bla bla" ... and for me there is not that pull into the game. The end of chapter 2 triggered me, but I dont know why, I am not interested ... I will continue I think - maybe it just takes more time for me. :/

Zenithtb

Oct 21, 2017
I'm hoping that, in the future, we'll get a prequel game focusing on the mc and sister relationship prior to this game.
I'm hoping for the Alternate Branch he mentioned earlier. This is because, if they're not Together in this game, it wouldn't bode well for their relationship (at least the kind of relationship I'd be aiming for) in a Prequel.

Unless they both - 1) Were hit on the head, 2) Were brainwashed, 3) Made a time-travel error, or 4) Woke up and it was all a dream - at the end of that game...

Reactions: thengineer

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
I'm hoping for the Alternate Branch he mentioned earlier. This is because, if they're not Together in this game, it wouldn't bode well for their relationship (at least the kind of relationship I'd be aiming for) in a Prequel.

Unless they both - 1) Were hit on the head, 2) Were brainwashed, 3) Made a time-travel error, or 4) Woke up and it was all a dream - at the end of that game...
Actually we've already seen he has a proclivity to realistic dreams, it wouldn't be a stretch for her to show up in a dream in the current path.

Zenithtb

Oct 21, 2017
Actually we've already seen he has a proclivity to realistic dreams, it wouldn't be a stretch for her to show up in a dream in the current path.
Yeah, but I think us SisCons want to be with her in 'reality', not have a dream about us together. OC I know this is all fake, but I want real fake, goddamnit!

Jerzy

May 18, 2017
Got issue whit phone in chapter2. There was a choice Good or Bad error came after choosing Bad.
didnt use old save.

Junkert

Jun 17, 2018
Thank you for showing the crash report! Not on pc so cant look at code atm, but it might have to do with old saves not being compatible, did you download the regular version? Theres a download link in spoilers of the OP with a compatible save that starts at chapter 3 and which should allow you to change your name
No it was on a Mac. I downloaded the regular version and I played the game from the beginning, was not using an old save. I will try the other version.

thengineer

Moonlight Sins
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2018
Got issue whit phone in chapter2. There was a choice Good or Bad error came after choosing Bad.
didnt use old save.
Weird, if the problem is what I'm thinking then it should be easy to solve.
No it was on a Mac. I downloaded the regular version and I played the game from the beginning, was not using an old save. I will try the other version.
Then there's definitely a problem with my code, I'll have a look at it now as well.

Thank you both so much for reporting these issues to me and for showing me the traceback! That should help me out a lot with releasing a proper public build later today!

thengineer

Moonlight Sins
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2018
Weird, I took a look at the code and really don't understand how this could happen. The variable gets defined right in the beginning of the game, so it just shouldn't happen. I wonder if it has to do with you being on a mac? Anyway, let me know if the other version works for you or not!

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I can only echo what others have written, there was nowhere near enough emotional impact from the sister's death.

For me it wasn't because she wasn't shown or involved enough, for me it was the weird reaction the MC has.
He grieves for a few days and then it's just completely back to normal?
Paperwork, flirting, sexting. Whatever.

Then there's the thing with his secretary. They kiss and that's it? Nothing, no change in their relationship, no talking about what happened?

And then Sarah wanting to help him forget about his (at that point non-existing) grief, by blue-balling him? That's just weird.

I like the look, the story is okay, but the actual writing seems to be the weakness right now.
It's not an attack, but it seems the dev fails to convey what he wants to tell us/ show us.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Are you using old saves? They dont work, [...]
Well, if you weren't declaring the variables in a label, and using the default statement instead, then it would have worked. Also, there's no reason to declare the variables in a Python block and even less to declare them as global. There's only one scope in Ren'py, therefore all variables are global by definition. Even Python code embedded in rpy files see them as global by default ; you just need to prefix them by "store." when you want to assign them a value, and yet it's not necessary if it's objects attributes, and list, dict or set elements.

All your :
Code:
        global phonePoints
        phonePoints = 0
would have been exactly the same if they were wrote :
Code:
    $ phonePoints = 0
and would have been save compatible if they were wrote :
Code:
default phonePoints = 0

thengineer

Moonlight Sins
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2018
the variables in a Python block and even less to declare them as global. There's only one scope in Ren'py, therefore all variables are global by definition. Even Python code embedded in rpy files see them as global by default ; you just need to prefix them by "store." when you want to
Thank you so much for the help! Still, I knew I could have made my variable compatible by defining it at the start of my last chapter instead of at the start of the game. I only put it at the start of the game because there was a big bug which pretty much couldn't be solved without starting a new game.

thengineer

Moonlight Sins
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2018
Same problem. PC, New game.
Thanks for letting me know! The problem had already been solved, it's just that the OP doesn't have the official release, which fixed the bug. The official release can be found here:

right at the start of the page.

Gabriel0316

Sep 13, 2018
I know her death is related to the case she's investigating, maybe a way to avoid her death is the MC to convince her to tell him what's all about... He's a big ass lawyer and he will find out a lot of shit about it, and bla bla, saves the beauty and maybe incest on the way...

Well... Just a thought

4.80 star(s) 5 Votes