motseer

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2021
From Cambridge Dictionary as examples for "choral", even if the definition talks about music:
  • The narration, in short, tends towards choral action, and has the immediacy and gestures of direct contact.
  • The remaining prisoners respond to their fellow inmate's words in a choral passage of mounting excitement
  • Private speech also occurred after other students' choral utterances were addressed by the teacher.
So I think, even if the definition talks about music, (at least) in British English the way I used it looks like is accepted when there's not a single protagonist.

Yes, Spanish is my mother tonge. I would use "coral" (that has the same musical meaning).

I've lived almost of my life in Catalonia, but my mother is Basque. My mother tonge is Spanish, and I can't speak Euskera (neither she). I learned Catalan from my paternal grandmother and from my dad.
Yep, it's all good. Yours was a liberal usage but, it made sense and that's why they call it writer's license. The way I read the sentence choral implied general or generic; i.e. everyone is doing it. The context, though, gave me a sense that you were saying the foundation was laid or you had covered all the general knowledge required so, it was time move on from this choral or general story and get down to the nitty gritty specifics. It gave me the idea you were saying the story is about to pick up pace.

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
I've lived almost of my life in Catalonia, but my mother is Basque. My mother tonge is Spanish, and I can't speak Euskera (neither she). I learned Catalan from my paternal grandmother and from my dad.
When you say Spanish, I read Castellano. I've heard Euskera being spoken, can't for the life of me understand any of it. I assume my ignorance about what are the origins of that language, both the intonations and the words bared (to my untrained ears) no semblance to any other language that I have heard.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Peace :)

Reactions: kcaldw

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
When you say Spanish, I read Castellano. I've heard Euskera being spoken, can't for the life of me understand any of it. I assume my ignorance about what are the origins of that language, both the intonations and the words bared (to my untrained ears) no semblance to any other language that I have heard.

Peace :)
Because it has not a "roman" root, like the rest of the languages spoken on the Iberic peninsula.
Edit: also nothing is known certain, about the origins of the Basques nor if their language has a celtic root, some linguists even say it has more reensemblace with Mongloian dialects as with any Celtic or Indogermanic.

Reactions: FatGiant

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
About the "Choral" usage.

I interpreted it as:
Updates where there are a rather large group of characters together, like in a Chorus. While interesting for the possibilities of conversations. I have to admit, they felt a bit crowded and I really, really am not comfortable in crowds. Did they made sense? They did. Were they needed? They were. But, I am, sincerely, glad to go back to 1-on-1 or very small groups.

Yeah, yeah, I have PTSD and Social Anxiety and a touch of agoraphobia and claustrophobia. No worries, I hopefully will not last much longer... maybe one decade, if lucky (or unlucky).

• Sad
Reactions: SpatulaPie

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
From Cambridge Dictionary as examples for "choral", even if the definition talks about music:
  • The narration, in short, tends towards choral action, and has the immediacy and gestures of direct contact.
  • The remaining prisoners respond to their fellow inmate's words in a choral passage of mounting excitement
  • Private speech also occurred after other students' choral utterances were addressed by the teacher.
So I think, even if the definition talks about music, (at least) in British English the way I used it looks like is accepted when there's not a single protagonist.
Interesting, I guess those instances I'd think of like a rising chorus of voices. And I wouldn't have any issues with the usage in the given examples, I'm not sure why your usage tripped me up so badly. Maybe just ending a sentence with it that way threw me.

Definitely not trying to give you a hard time by any means your English is loads better than my Arabic or Spanish, and honestly probably much more deliberately informed than my English. But my one true love in life is probably linguistics so I'm always interested when I see usage I don't understand or recognize.

mintymuz

Apr 8, 2024
Maybe "ensemble" or specifically "ensemble cast"? There's still a main character, but also a range of other characters who share screentime relatively equally.

Reactions: SpatulaPie

SpatulaPie

Apr 21, 2023
About the "Choral" usage.

I interpreted it as:
Updates where there are a rather large group of characters together, like in a Chorus. While interesting for the possibilities of conversations. I have to admit, they felt a bit crowded and I really, really am not comfortable in crowds. Did they made sense? They did. Were they needed? They were. But, I am, sincerely, glad to go back to 1-on-1 or very small groups.

Yeah, yeah, I have PTSD and Social Anxiety and a touch of agoraphobia and claustrophobia. No worries, I hopefully will not last much longer... maybe one decade, if lucky (or unlucky).
I hope you stick around as long as you can. Your witty rebuttals and ability with "literal" sarcasm are a much welcomed part of this and other groups.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Trope95

jI11jaCksjAkk

Jun 26, 2023
Redhead Martha wasn't a rejected one. I designed her today in case I can use her in a future event.
OK, that's enough teasing, so it better happen now or I'll have to send some clones to take you out. :cool:

I'll settle for something silly like some chemical spills on her hair and she has a hairdresser temporarily make her a ginger because she feels a little jealous when MC finally beds the as-yet-Undiscovered-Country of a certain redheaded girlfriend's mother. :love: But it has to happen if you're going to dangle another hot redheaded MILF in front of our (freckled?) noses like that! :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Trope95
4.00 star(s) 101 Votes