bamachine

Nov 17, 2020
So far, the Engrish seems to be almost non-existent except for some pronoun issues. There are also a few occasions where the game uses the default name instead of the custom names, which throws you for a loop temporarily. That is a case where the script is written like "Emma said" instead of "[EM] said" or whatever the lookup tags are supposed to be, I have not tried editing it myself.

To the dev, good job so far, just needs a little proofreading but it is far better than most non-native English speakers do with our crazy language and even some native ones as well.

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
I understand, and honestly, I expected that. Still, like Hollywood movies, a visual novel, or at least a game, is not going to be 100% accurate. I kind of figured that you are not American. The one thing I am unclear on, though, is the setting/location for this story. Is it in North America? Europe? A fictional continent on fictional Earth-like planet.

By the way, if this is in fictional country on a fictional Earth-like planet, it might be possible to just create a fictional sign language for a future visual novel should you ever employ a deaf character who this time would use a sign language.

In any case, I am quite an understanding person for someone who is deaf. I understand that, sometimes, a work of arts will sometimes take a bit of creative license and will not be 100% accurate. Realism is important, yes, but not an overriding factor and you should not feel discouraged from trying this out. As I said before, I will help you out whatever I can if you ask. Just let me know, whenever you feel like it. :)

By the way, you are also correct about there being variants in sign language within Spain or the United States. In fact, there are cases of different signs used for same word across the regions. While I am born and raised in state of Kentucky, I spent couple years living in Texas a decade ago and I learned several signs used for some words that we do not use in Kentucky, at least not in the western part of the state I am from. Furthermore, American Sign Language (ASL) is not the only sign language used in the United States.

For the context, deaf people, like myself, have two different possible paths for primary and secondary education (pre-university) which was either state deaf school like Kentucky School for the Deaf in my state or be educated in a K-12 grade school with an interpreter. I went for the latter and that is partly a reason why I am relatively fluent in spoken English and writes fairly well, despite some weaknesses in grammar that stuck with me (generally those parts that emphasizes the sound such as preposition (a, an, et cetera)), as I had years of speech therapy there. It is also for this reason that I sign English, not ASL. Unlike ASL, whose grammar structure is different from written/spoken English (I suspect this might be due to the fact it was based on French Sign Language), signing English uses English grammar and also use prepositions such as the.

As such, there are quite a rich diversity in the sign languages in the United States and I would not expect otherwise in other countries so I am not really surprised when you mentioned the regional differences in Spain as far as sign languages are concerned.

That being said, I do not think you should feel discouraged when it comes down to using any sign language animations in a visual novel. In fact, I would encourage you to and, again, like I said, I will support you whatever I can in this area. I also extend my offer of support to any other developers interested in doing a visual novel that features a deaf character.

As one might expect, being educated in a non-deaf public school, where I was usually the sole deaf student there, and having met many deaf people outside the school, I am a person of two cultures, one deaf and one non-deaf. These kind of people are, to my knowledge, not particularly common, as I believe majority of the deaf Americans go to deaf school, though being educated in a non-deaf school is becoming more common lately as I understand it.

That being said, I have no regrets about being educated in a non-deaf public school. While it taught me to write and speak English relatively well, it came at a social cost because, well, obviously, most of my student peers are hearing and most of them do not know sign language. I did have friends but it was not exactly deep friendships considering the communications barriers. But, like I said, no regrets, as I felt that education there were far more important.

Speaking of the writing, the funny thing, though, is that when I spent a summer for a youth scholars program at Gallaudet University, the nation's (and possibly the world's) only university specifically created for the deaf students, in Washington, D.C., I was asked to review the writings for a project my assigned team were doing. Imagine my shock when I saw how radically different in grammar and writing than I was used to. It is not an exaggeration when I say that often it is hard for me to understand writings, be it on papers or in electronic messages, from many deaf people, especially if their education were fundamentally different from mine.

It is not that they are dumb or anything. It is just the way that their sign language are fundamentally structured but have an unfortunate consequence of being sometimes almost incomprehensible to anyone not used to the grammar structure of a sign language like ASL. And, unfortunately, that can present some communication barrier issues especially for the workplace where majority of workers are almost certainly going to be hearing ones.

Anyway, I got more to say but I think I should stop here. That is for another day. At any rate, indeed, deaf culture and the sign languages can be complicated but I would not worry too much. Again, you have my support whenever you feel like doing sign language animations. Sometimes, the only way we can make progress is by making mistakes and that is OK. It happens and it can be fixed. Don't sweat too much about it.
About the setting, I've avoided on purpose to name a location, the only locations named are Newport, where the action happens, Westport, a city near Newport, and Atlanta, where the company Jamaal works for has its headquarters. As Atlanta exists (Florida also exists), I want to think the game is set in an alt-Earth where alt-US also exist.
This allows me to introduce certain differences with respect to our reality, such as changing the laws of inheritance, introducing human cloning technology, etc., without having to take into account details that add nothing to the game and that would be a headache to investigate. I already tried to do all that research to find out in which states the relationship between cousins is considered incest and in which states it is not. So it's set in alt-US, in alt-California, in a fictional coastal city where there are palmtrees.

After all your kind comments, if I ever have time to do a short spin off, I think I would ask for your help, as all this conversation has sparked some ideas that can be nice for another history with a deaf important character
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Robert Monotoli

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
rip MC good look, why every VN hate long hair so much, now it's like someone took a dump on his head :(
Well, the hairstyle change is referenced in the intro, when you rename the characters. The sentence is literally "And then there's me, 21 years old, about to graduate from college and in desperate need of a haircut. My name is (Default: Mark)"
It was decided the first time I rendered the MC from behind and I didn't like the result.
The problem with long hair is that men's DAZ hair styles tend to look awful.

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
It would be great experience to live together with 16 hot women. We already have 8 women. Then it is no longer called "My Dorm", then it is "My house with 16 hot women"!:love::giggle:
We right now have:
5 women/girls living at home: Martha, Norah, Emma, Daphne and Erika
1 girl who almost lives at home: Scarlett
1 Ex girlfriend living at her home: Eileen
1 Ex girlfriend living in India: Saira
6 girls with whom the MC has had little interaction yet: Samantha and Simone (Jamaal mother and sister), Alexia (Police officer), Sophie (hairdresser), Maddie (Clothing shop girl), Megan (Singer)

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Hey, Just saying that this phrase is suppose to be "like a bull in a china shop"... Hearing elephant is just strange.
In Spanish the phrase is "Un elefante en una cacharrería" (an elephant in a hardware store). I googled for synonyns and found that sentence as alternative. Now after your post, I reviewed my searchs and just seen that "Elephant in a china shop" is an unusual alternative to "Bull in a china shop". I'll change it to the more usual one

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
please, when something belongs to a girl it's "her" not "his" :/
Can you tell me the complete sentence where you've found this error? I try to be careful with this, but sometimes I might miss one, problems of translating late at night.

Sylaann

Nov 4, 2020
I can remember 1-2 times at the start of the last update (his instead of her), and 1 time talking about the father in the shop (it says her instead of his).

Reactions: TropecitaGames

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
About the alt-Earth setting:
In this alt-Earth, among other differences, there's a film named The Fiancée Princess, people buy online at Amazonian, see videos at MeTube, Harrison Fort played the role of Hann Alone in a film where there was a green Joda and a fat Yabba, Disco Queen was played by APPA, and the ring of power should be melt at Nordor.

Some players have thought those were errors in translation (Hann, Joda and Yabba haven't appeared yet), and they're written that way on purpose.

• Haha
Reactions: LSC82

The Pie Rat

Aug 26, 2021
About the alt-Earth setting:
In this alt-Earth, among other differences, there's a film named The Fiancée Princess, people buy online at Amazonian, see videos at MeTube, Harrison Fort played the role of Hann Alone in a film where there was a green Joda and a fat Yabba, Disco Queen was played by APPA, and the ring of power should be melt at Nordor.

Some players have thought those were errors in translation (Hann, Joda and Yabba haven't appeared yet), and they're written that way on purpose.
Oh believe me.. I know they appear as errors. It was effort not to touch them..

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
Oh believe me.. I know they appear as errors. It was effort not to touch them..
Amazon, Youtube, Mordor, etc. are the same in Spain. The Princess Bride title, ABBA, or the lyrics of Dancing Queen are easy to look at Google if it were necessary (it isn't, as I'm a fan of the three).
My English needs polishing and proofreading as you well know (thank you again for your collaboration), but I'm not a moron (I hope);)

Reactions: Repuci

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
on that choice it it both their routes open/close individually or is it a route for threesome relationship?
On that choice, the one without the warning opens three routes:
Daphne
Scarlett
Both of them (love triangle/threesome)

The one with the warning closes the triangle route forever, but individual routes can be opened later with Daphne and/or Scarlett

4.10 star(s) 99 Votes