3.70 star(s) 34 Votes

Ceesko

Engaged Member
Jun 3, 2017
This is by all means a kinetic novel masquerading as a choice based VN. Seriously need the kinetic tag. There is zero
choices regarding anything.

Gargarlley

Dev of "My Sister & I"
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2018
i'm pretty sure i already did this joke(saying that you know that i will enjoy it) to you once...but without the spoiler alert XD maybe...i don't remember clearly XD
Perhaps, but I'm a huge coward o_O

Hope you like it! And cool signature!

This is by all means a kinetic novel masquerading as a choice based VN. Seriously need the kinetic tag. There is zero
choices regarding anything.
On this update in particular there's a scene which changes based on previous choices, despite this you're entitled to your opinion and I do hope that you find a game that's right for you. As well deserve the warm embrace of our waifus

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
Perhaps, but I'm a huge coward o_O

On this update in particular there's a scene which changes based on previous choices, despite this you're entitled to your opinion and I do hope that you find a game that's right for you. As well deserve the warm embrace of our waifus
you adorable goof XD

also...why people talk bad of kinetic novels? i mean people don't get mad over Harry Potter being "kinetic", the reader doesn't get to choose what Harry does and yet it was/is a bestseller!

A Kinetic VN can be good and enjoyable, as much(if not more) that a choice-VN (if the dev knows something about story-writing and knows the "Do and Dont's" of writing)

Suknickar

Jun 1, 2018
also...why people talk bad of kinetic novels? i mean people don't get mad over Harry Potter being "kinetic", the reader doesn't get to choose what Harry does and yet it was/is a bestseller!

A Kinetic VN can be good and enjoyable, as much(if not more) that a choice-VN (if the dev knows something about story-writing and knows the "Do and Dont's" of writing)
They weren't saying anything bad about kinetic novels, just that his is one and it should be tagged as such so that people go into the game with the correct expectations.

If I were to go into this expecting my choices to matter to the story in a manner more impactful than "a scene (that will occur no matter what) may change based on previous choices", I'd be disappointed by this game.

If I went into it knowing that it is a kinetic novel that lets me have choices in how the character reacts to the event I'd be happy with what I got.

It's not that one is better than the other, it's that failing to manage expectations causes the entire experience to be less fulfilling, where as if expectations are properly managed, you may find greater enjoyment in something that you may not otherwise like.

It's like shitty horror movies. (I am absolutely not implying that this game is a shitty horror movie because it's not. It's just an easy convenient example that most people will be familiar with.)

If you go into a shitty C or D grade horror movie expecting a masterpiece, you're going to want your money back... but If you go in expecting something that is just plain bad, you can have fun with it and pull a Mystery Science Theater with it, and have a ton of fun... completely changing the event from a bad one to a really good one.

And to take your example, it's a book (or movie). You don't expect ANY degree of interactivity with those. So, the expectation was set very clearly right from the get go.

Reactions: Lucid Lancer

Burgh917

Dec 20, 2019
you adorable goof XD

Some people just like to bitch...:LOL:

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Torrent: ( ) ❤
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Join for requests/support and get torrents a few minutes early! (rpdl#6652)

• Red Heart
Reactions: rafa30 and _Maou_

Gargarlley

Dev of "My Sister & I"
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2018
I think this is an interesting post, so I'll engage it on a orderly manner!

If I were to go into this expecting my choices to matter to the story in a manner more impactful than "a scene (that will occur no matter what) may change based on previous choices", I'd be disappointed by this game.
First of all good day friend
I'd like to say that the scene does not happen "no matter what" as it's avaiable on Patreon where the choices and their consequences explained (and voted upon via polling) these changes are what lean you towards one or the other ending, which are quite different by themselves and also alter the kind of reactions the girl has. As detailed before, what is chosen here is not truly the main development, but it's outcome and manner

And lastly, I'd say that there's really no metric by which one might decide what is or what is not impactful, as it's an abstract concept

If I went into it knowing that it is a kinetic novel that lets me have choices in how the character reacts to the event I'd be happy with what I got.
While you're entitled to your opinion, this website (F95zone) provides the following definition for what is and what is not a Kinetic Novel.

• "Kinetic Novel [Used when a a visual novel style game presents the player with no choices.]"
So as long as there's a choice there is no real reason to ask for it to be tagged with the kinetic tag!

It's not that one is better than the other, it's that failing to manage expectations causes the entire experience to be less fulfilling, where as if expectations are properly managed, you may find greater enjoyment in something that you may not otherwise like.

It's like shitty horror movies. (I am absolutely not implying that this game is a shitty horror movie because it's not. It's just an easy convenient example that most people will be familiar with.)

If you go into a shitty C or D grade horror movie expecting a masterpiece, you're going to want your money back... but If you go in expecting something that is just plain bad, you can have fun with it and pull a Mystery Science Theater with it, and have a ton of fun... completely changing the event from a bad one to a really good on

And this is your personal opinion, and here's the thing my friend

I believe you're entitled to it as much as Demoness_Kiss it's entitled to his, for what is the point of a forum if not to provide an space for the free flow of ideas?

I am sorry if you had some expectation that this game did not fullfill, and I do hope that in the future you may find one that fully satisfies you friend, for I believe we all come here looking for a bit of fun and if you did not find it here, perhaps you shall in a greener pasture

Good luck, and thank you for your time!

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
my issue is how people talk like a kinetic novel is a bad thing...when a lot of good stuff is kinetic XD

If you want meaningful choice, you can always ask for a "Pointless Choices" tag XD (but it's subjective i think XD)

Last edited:

Suknickar

Jun 1, 2018
I think this is an interesting post, so I'll engage it on a orderly manner!

While you're entitled to your opinion, this website (F95zone) provides the following definition for what is and what is not a Kinetic Novel.

• "Kinetic Novel [Used when a a visual novel style game presents the player with no choices.]"
So as long as there's a choice there is no real reason to ask for it to be tagged with the kinetic tag!
Other than being in the thread for your game, my post didn't have anything of substance to do with your game. I was explaining the opinion of the other person that you already addressed.

The definition of choice regarding a Visual Novel v. Kinetic Novel is blurry at best. Especially if the choices offered simply change a bit of dialogue. Sure, technically speaking, they are choices, but what the author of the original post that I, and the author of the post I was replying to, was intended was meaningful choice that had actual impact on the narrative of the story.

The entirety of my post was about why proper tags should be used, and why the original post wasn't bad mouthing kinetic novels.

If this game is a Kinetic Novel, Visual Novel, or hell even an action packed platformer first person shooter, was none of my concern while writing that post and wasn't being directly spoken to. Now, there is a line in my original post that may make it seem that way, but I was speaking on behalf of the original post regarding putting the KN tag on the thread, not the merits of such tag being placed here.

Also, using my friend (or any variation) as a form of address for a complete stranger on the internet can be viewed as patronizing and may cause the recipient to feel like you are insincere. I would suggest that you not use that phrase with multiple post in a short period as it can come of as insulting do to a perceived lack of sincerity. (Nuance simply doesn't come through well via text, just wanting to make sure that you were aware of the possibilities of your word choice.)

Suknickar

Jun 1, 2018
my issue is how people talk like a kinetic novel is a bad thing...when a lot of good stuff is kinetic XD

If you want meaningful choice, you can always ask for a "Pointless Choices" tag XD (but it's subjective i think XD)
I get that, but I feel that a vast majority of that impression is due to recurring dissapointment due to poor tagging of KN as VN. If people knew what they were getting into before doing the download, they would be less disappointed and the negative stereotype would begin to fade.

But that also assumes that people read the tags BEFORE downloading and playing the game.

3.70 star(s) 34 Votes