Husmi

Dec 8, 2021
That's an interesting approach. Although, I feel that probably narrows down what you can play by quite a bit. To date, only a handful of devs come to mind when I think of games that are legitimately complete (not just essentially abandoned) and didn't take the better part of a decade. I'm more than happy with 6 to 7 months between updates. It's just that while the devs don't owe me shit, I likewise can't be expected to maintain any interest if updates take a year or longer.

I don't know. It didn't always seem like this from what I remember. It just feels like things are slowing to a halt with this medium. What used to be two updates per year for a game is now a growing trend of one update per year (if we're lucky). Also seems like I've been noticing more games that have been in development for years get abandoned. The usual churn of games that pop up and are abandoned overnight (not literally overnight but abandoned within a year) seems to have increased as well.
Yes, it narrows what I play a lot, more so, when I'm a bit picky with tags, not into femdom, ntr, or hardcore maledom, also I skip a lot of games because of the visuals (and sometimes the engine, a game has to look very good for me to play an RPGM game), if the models don't atract me, there is no point on playing a AVN, but, because of how I am, it's the only option, since I'm one of those that when I start a story, can't really let it go until I finish it, not to the point of obsesion, but if I like the story, I'll be thinking about it and wanting to know more all the time for a month, so it's just suffering at that point.

As for updates, I'd be ok with 1 update a year, if the quantity and quality of content that said update brings is enough, but games like this, or others that have the problem of slow updates, you normally get content that won't even get you 30 minutes of playtime, which in my opinion doesn't really make sense if the dev has been working on that update for a year, makes me think they just are lazy and didn't work on the game, so for me more than how much time it takes for updates, it's bore the balance between time and content, if it takes long, I'll expect a lot of content for each update, which sadly, it's normally not the case.

And I can say, being one that comes almost daily to the site, to see what's new, follow new games or ones that I didn't know, and unfollow abandoned ones, I can say that weekly, there are like 5-10 abandoned games, normally new games, maybe the dev didn't make as much money as they wanted in the first "demo", and sometimes 1-3 old games get abandoned too, it's always sad to see the ones that look good go, but this being an amateur medium, there is nothing that can be done, a lot of people come here to try, maybe thinking it will be easy, or that they will get a lot of patreons from the get go, and hit a hard wall, most of them, probably just leave at that moment.

allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
Yes, it narrows what I play a lot, more so, when I'm a bit picky with tags, not into femdom, ntr, or hardcore maledom, also I skip a lot of games because of the visuals (and sometimes the engine, a game has to look very good for me to play an RPGM game), if the models don't atract me, there is no point on playing a AVN, but, because of how I am, it's the only option, since I'm one of those that when I start a story, can't really let it go until I finish it, not to the point of obsesion, but if I like the story, I'll be thinking about it and wanting to know more all the time for a month, so it's just suffering at that point.
Well, that's fair enough. It's not like you're complaining about games not meeting your criteria. The way I see it, you're wisely deciding what's worth your free time instead of wasting it on stuff you know you won't like.

As for updates, I'd be ok with 1 update a year, if the quantity and quality of content that said update brings is enough, but games like this, or others that have the problem of slow updates, you normally get content that won't even get you 30 minutes of playtime, which in my opinion doesn't really make sense if the dev has been working on that update for a year, makes me think they just are lazy and didn't work on the game, so for me more than how much time it takes for updates, it's bore the balance between time and content, if it takes long, I'll expect a lot of content for each update, which sadly, it's normally not the case.
Man, that feels like a whole other conversation to be had haha. Still, I just don't have that kind of patience. It's not that I'm particularly impatient. It's more just with all the stuff going on in daily life, I don't know how to possibly maintain a vested interest in something like this. This kind of plays off your point about content but I just kind of end up thinking, "Well I'm only going to get maybe 30 min of play time out of this update and will have to wait another year. So why bother even playing it now?". It eventually just turns into overall indifference and not having the mind to even play it at all. I get used to not playing anything at all rather than playing at least something and it becomes an ingrained habit. Which eventually just cutting it out completely. It gets pretty hard to get back into the mood/mindset to play these.

And I can say, being one that comes almost daily to the site, to see what's new, follow new games or ones that I didn't know, and unfollow abandoned ones, I can say that weekly, there are like 5-10 abandoned games, normally new games, maybe the dev didn't make as much money as they wanted in the first "demo", and sometimes 1-3 old games get abandoned too, it's always sad to see the ones that look good go, but this being an amateur medium, there is nothing that can be done, a lot of people come here to try, maybe thinking it will be easy, or that they will get a lot of patreons from the get go, and hit a hard wall, most of them, probably just leave at that moment.
Maybe. I'm not sure. I've been using this site for a while now. Feels like that churn has become more pronounced in the past year or two. I understand the different reasons behind why it happens. It just feels like there's more "false starts" lately.

Anyway. Been good talking about this. To be honest, I tried Mythic Manor again after a really long time when I saw it updated last year but I still haven't seen all the latest content yet. Most of it seems like stuff I already saw years ago and when I saw on the walkthrough I was almost done seeing everything, I kind of lost the will to continue. Maybe I'll finish it eventually, maybe not. I'm not sure. Just ... I don't know feels like a real fucking chore at this point. Not gonna lie. Feels like I'm playing a lot of these VNs just to play them and not actually enjoying them. Again, it's the whole "Got used to not playing them rather than playing them" and now that mentality's kind of stuck with me. Hard to get back into most of them now.

Reactions: Husmi

okapaa

Aug 25, 2019
Dev Update - v0.21, an extremely overdue update

View attachment 3332079

Hey everyone, this will be a long one. TL;DR near the bottom of post.

To start off, Mythic Manor is still alive and has not been abandoned, despite the lack of updates in the past... forever.

❗v0.21 has finally made it to the stage where I can say it will be ready this month or very soon after. Development obviously has been extremely slow. Barely any progress on v0.21 had been made until the past month or so, mostly due to several different life issues and an extended period of burnout. On top of these issues, Reiralie has been unable to help much due to more important matters, which I completely understand. This will continue for the foreseeable future. They are still helping with testing and website-related things, but pretty much everything else has been on me. I'm sorry for leaving you all in the dark for so long. I understand it's not okay, even with these issues happening.

------

Shortly after v0.20 released, we were planning on hiring someone else, but things fell through. But now, we are in the final steps of hiring a different person to help with several areas of the game's development. I consider it important for quality to stay the same (or improve), so finding the right person that we could also trust wasn't easy. We'll have more details once this is completely finalized, but you can expect this addition to significantly speed up development (after v0.21). The goal is to have an update at least every 2 months or so.

Anyway, I believe actions speak louder than words, so I don't expect anyone to have much faith in Mythic Manor until it starts releasing at an acceptable rate (and our communication is improved greatly). I'm striving to make that a reality this year.

------

Now, some details about the upcoming Mythic Manor update. v0.21 will have a good chunk of main story content for Nefari, 5 events. I want to get the manor girls' storylines finished up, and hers is quite impactful to the game as a whole. So v0.21 and also v0.22 will each have several Nefari events. This update Naira and Jade will be getting some love too, and there also will be a Sunday event. As for side girls, you'll be seeing Iris, Kumi, Astrid, and... more. I also worked on some locations/areas that needed to be made, so the map is getting closer to being finished. In addition, I finished the new and improved Scene Gallery forever ago.

As for the Android version, there's finally a good way to have perfectly working apps over 2 GB (which Mythic Manor is). However, I don't have time before v0.21 to make this work. Even though it shouldn't take a ton of time, I don't want to spend any time at all on it right now. Once v0.21 releases, I will start work on the new & improved Android version. Once it's ready, it will be released right away.

------

TL;DR: v0.21 coming this month (or early next). Reiralie unable to help much for foreseeable future. We're finalizing the hiring of another person right now. After v0.21, the goal is to have an update every 2 months or so. Lots of Nefari content in v0.21 (and more ofc).

------

As always, thank you for supporting Mythic Manor through all its ups and downs, whether you're a current patron, former patron, or simply someone following along this project.

Cheers,

Jikei

View attachment 3332081
Funny how they have "burnout" while still receiving patreon money

hoshimota

Sep 18, 2023
Almost every single Patreon update regarding the release date for the past 4 years has been like this. They wait MONTHS to tell anyone anything, and when they do there is always an pity party excuse attached to it.
Dude this, exactly, x1000.

A lot of the Patreon devs do this. They procrastinate and then come up with a story about how their dog got run over by a truck, or their grandma died, or they got evicted, or their PC needs an upgrade, or or or.... it's like watching a kid try to explain to their teacher for the 50th time why they didn't finish their homework. And then the legions of fanboys show up to valiantly defend the creators of their digital waifus lmao.

CptValor

Oct 8, 2017
first i wanna say, i get it! i understand that everyone out there feels like their getting burned by giving money to devs who take forever (or just dont) deliver your spank material! i get it, i get frustrated too! and while some may just be blowin smoke and makin excuses, there are some that may actualy be having a rough go of it! lifes a bitch sometimes and i can attest from personal experience that the old saying "shit rolls downhill" is true! im not trying to use this to give devs a pass because if people are payin you then yeah, they should be kickin something out or at least let people know things might be a while before any product is released!

however, if your a patron and you dont like paying the dev that isnt putting out content then you can always stop paying! why does it have to fall on the dev (who if their storys are correct) is dealing with lifes shitstorm and had to remember to take time out to stop receiving payment to make the haters happy! it could very well be that some patrons dont mind being charitable and paying to help the dev out of a tough spot in their life! look in the end its your money and your responsibility to stop payments if you feel you arent getting your moneys worth! just sayin!

maybe im too trusting, but i know how hard life can kick your ass sometimes so i like to give people the benefit of the doubt! it will be good to see some new content for Mythic Manor soon so at least theres that to look forward to! anyway, this was just my opinion on things... take it or leave it!

May 26, 2020
first i wanna say, i get it! i understand that everyone out there feels like their getting burned by giving money to devs who take forever (or just dont) deliver your spank material! i get it, i get frustrated too! and while some may just be blowin smoke and makin excuses, there are some that may actualy be having a rough go of it! lifes a bitch sometimes and i can attest from personal experience that the old saying "shit rolls downhill" is true! im not trying to use this to give devs a pass because if people are payin you then yeah, they should be kickin something out or at least let people know things might be a while before any product is released!

however, if your a patron and you dont like paying the dev that isnt putting out content then you can always stop paying! why does it have to fall on the dev (who if their storys are correct) is dealing with lifes shitstorm and had to remember to take time out to stop receiving payment to make the haters happy! it could very well be that some patrons dont mind being charitable and paying to help the dev out of a tough spot in their life! look in the end its your money and your responsibility to stop payments if you feel you arent getting your moneys worth! just sayin!

maybe im too trusting, but i know how hard life can kick your ass sometimes so i like to give people the benefit of the doubt! it will be good to see some new content for Mythic Manor soon so at least theres that to look forward to! anyway, this was just my opinion on things... take it or leave it!
The thing with this one is they don't, like, hinge anything on the support. They're not begging for it, they're not keeping releases locked behind it. MM has, for years, been a very "sure if you want but no promises" sort of affair for monetary support, and openly so. But weird nerds want to seem cool and above-it-all, so every time MM gets some news they flock to the thread to necro the same whining again

CptValor

Oct 8, 2017
The thing with this one is they don't, like, hinge anything on the support. They're not begging for it, they're not keeping releases locked behind it. MM has, for years, been a very "sure if you want but no promises" sort of affair for monetary support, and openly so. But weird nerds want to seem cool and above-it-all, so every time MM gets some news they flock to the thread to necro the same whining again
yeah thats gonna be the case in just about any forum for games on this site! i was trying to encapsulate all occurrences like that because of it being the same thing everywhere you go! it seems to me that people just want something to complain about! it doesnt really matter the topic or situation, some just feel the need to be complaining about something all the time! if they put the same effort into praising good things that happen instead of trying to tear things down... idk maybe we wouldnt see so many projects get abandoned! negativity only breeds negativity! and this world could use more positive voices out there! i was taught when i was young that "if you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all!"

while calling someone out on their wrongdoing is fine and giving constructive criticsm is fine, being angry and complaining about paying for content from a creator online where people know content comes out in a time period that isnt as quick as they would like it to be sounds like an excuse and people trying to cope with the fact that they didnt discontinue payment when they didnt get what they want! i guess thats my long winded way of saying "sucks to be them"!

Reactions: Kiss_69

Meludan

May 6, 2018
I was Patreon for a long time. And was 50$ (was that one of the highest tiers? Don't remember) until i stopped last year due the lack of updates and no information at all.
I get it, you can burn out with those games. Still crying about Magical Camp or Intern of Exctasy Island (dmn, I miss this games wholeheartedly) but not giving the people any vocal update is a no go. If you have to deal with shit in your life, just say so. I understand that. The world is a harsh and cold place, take your time. So people know what is going on and will understand the missing content for a brief amount of time. But not saying anything and still getting paid is not a good behaviour.
Maybe I'll reconsider being a Patreon but for that I want to see action (in this case Updates and Information about what is going on)
I love MM it's an awesome game for me. But closing the Main Story now seems a little bit rushed (at least with Nefari). I haven't felt that we're anywhere close to the end of any story with the girls. That leaves me sceptical. Maybe I'm wrong but I hoped for more Main Events. But we'll see what will happen.

randomguy6516265165

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 21, 2018
I was Patreon for a long time. And was 50$ (was that one of the highest tiers? Don't remember) until i stopped last year due the lack of updates and no information at all.
I get it, you can burn out with those games. Still crying about Magical Camp or Intern of Exctasy Island (dmn, I miss this games wholeheartedly) but not giving the people any vocal update is a no go. If you have to deal with shit in your life, just say so. I understand that. The world is a harsh and cold place, take your time. So people know what is going on and will understand the missing content for a brief amount of time. But not saying anything and still getting paid is not a good behaviour.
Maybe I'll reconsider being a Patreon but for that I want to see action (in this case Updates and Information about what is going on)
I love MM it's an awesome game for me. But closing the Main Story now seems a little bit rushed (at least with Nefari). I haven't felt that we're anywhere close to the end of any story with the girls. That leaves me sceptical. Maybe I'm wrong but I hoped for more Main Events. But we'll see what will happen.
dont tell me they are going to pull out a SHELTER or personal trainer and rush the ending part of the game ruining all the work they made

aslevjal

Jul 5, 2017
I completely forgot that I had this game in my "Watched" category...
For version 0.21, I'm pretty sure Jikei will introduce a new character: himself in the role of a sexy necromancer-beast who toys with the corpse of his long-dead creations and the hearts of his audience.

Meludan

May 6, 2018
dont tell me they are going to pull out a SHELTER or personal trainer and rush the ending part of the game ruining all the work they made
Not like this I think, they want to "finish" the Story with Nefari. So that this doesn't get Events anymore maybe? But I doubt that somehow. Maybe more of a change from single events to events like the sunday events. We can only guess what tht means. This game is otherwise far from finished.

• Sad
Reactions: randomguy6516265165

Husmi

Dec 8, 2021

I agree that life happens, or as I normally say, "shit happens", but it's also true that devs can stop billing when they're not working, idk anything about this dev's patreon, so I'm not talking about him, but I've seen it so many times, that people say the same as you, that life happens and they might be in a bad time, so they can't work, ok, but if you don't stop billing, there is no excuse to stop working, if you are a dev, and want to stop for some time, you should also stop the billing on patreon, since people pay you to develop the game they like, yes, they can just stop the sub on patreon, but this devs normally don't tell you that they're taking a break, because they know if they did, a lot of people would stop giving them money, so, in my opinion, unless the dev stops billing, and comunicates properly to their patreons, doesn't matter how bad they're having it, it falls on them, and this type of devs make it harder to make money for the devs that actually care, because a lot of people can't trust any dev now.

Another problem is that there is 0 accountability on Patreon, for people that just disappear with the money, or keep the patreon open but they really abandoned the game, which also makes it harder to trust any dev, when you know most of the games you see are going to get abandoned, and never reach the completed point, people might want to pay the devs, but most people doesn't have that much money to spare, and they are not here to give the little money they have as if they were just giving money to a ONG (I think it's translated as NGO? (basically charity)) they expect something in return, and it's the dev responsability to do their part, and if they can't, either give a good excuse, or at least comunicate properly so people can decide to stop.

Reactions: CptValor

CptValor

Oct 8, 2017
I agree that life happens, or as I normally say, "shit happens", but it's also true that devs can stop billing when they're not working, idk anything about this dev's patreon, so I'm not talking about him, but I've seen it so many times, that people say the same as you, that life happens and they might be in a bad time, so they can't work, ok, but if you don't stop billing, there is no excuse to stop working, if you are a dev, and want to stop for some time, you should also stop the billing on patreon, since people pay you to develop the game they like, yes, they can just stop the sub on patreon, but this devs normally don't tell you that they're taking a break, because they know if they did, a lot of people would stop giving them money, so, in my opinion, unless the dev stops billing, and comunicates properly to their patreons, doesn't matter how bad they're having it, it falls on them, and this type of devs make it harder to make money for the devs that actually care, because a lot of people can't trust any dev now.

Another problem is that there is 0 accountability on Patreon, for people that just disappear with the money, or keep the patreon open but they really abandoned the game, which also makes it harder to trust any dev, when you know most of the games you see are going to get abandoned, and never reach the completed point, people might want to pay the devs, but most people doesn't have that much money to spare, and they are not here to give the little money they have as if they were just giving money to a ONG (I think it's translated as NGO? (basically charity)) they expect something in return, and it's the dev responsability to do their part, and if they can't, either give a good excuse, or at least comunicate properly so people can decide to stop.
i can feel ya on that sentiment! i get it! there are devs that skip out and take peoples money and thats a definite issue and i get that if a dev is having issues with their life it would be the courteous thing to do to shut down payments and/or communicate this with their audience! the thing is (and i know this from experience) that when the shit hits the fan you dont always have the luxury to stop and go "oh i better stop payments on patreon and write a big apology post to my donors!" stuff like that is usually the last thing on your mind! then again some people just havent been taught how to be courteous either and feel like its not their responsibility to do any of that kind of stuff and have the mentality that if they dont want their account charged they will stop payments themselves! that leads me back to the point i was making in my previous post that as a consumer if you arent getting the goods and services your paying for then you stop paying for a product you arent getting! if you pay for a streaming service like netflix or whatever and there isnt anything there that you like then you stop paying! you wont see netflix ask you if you wanna stop paying because you havent watched it in a while! its ultimately the responsibility of the consumer!

im not trying to say that the point you were making wasnt valid because it certainly was and you made a good point in your post! however you make the statement about there being zero accountability on patreon but if im not mistaken there is a clause in the EULA they make you agree to when you sign up for an account that any funds transferred are done so at the risk of the person donating the money. thus if any legal action were to be looked into the people who run patreon would ask if stopped payment to the individual in question first and foremost! im not 100% on this and others can correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure this is in there so that patreon covers their own ass in case something like this blows up into a big scene!

ultimately, both sides of the argument have merit and i made my initial post because like you i had seen a lot of people (not just on this thread) pop in on a newbie account just to talk shit about how the dev hasnt updated in a long time so he must be a scammer! this is also a rough deal on a dev whos just taking his time to make his game/VN or whatever good and is bombarded with people calling them a scammer and scaring away other patrons or even causing the dev to give up and abandon their game! so its a vicious circle and its the internet so people just post and dont give a shit! i personally think its an issue that needs work on both ends but i really dont see a solution happening anytime soon!

Reactions: Chrostiph
4.50 star(s) 189 Votes