C4dn3

Aug 27, 2017
To the devs that want to create a similar game as Newlife:
First off good luck to you. Second, you shouldn't be worried about making a game that will be similar to Newlife.
There already exists similar games like Girl's Life and Accidental Woman.
On that second point, I encourage you to try these games because I think they have qualities but also horrible flaws regarding gameplay/design choice and/or development strategy.

About these 'lifesim' games:
One thing I find those games to fail terribly at is the "Male => Female transformation".
It's adding useless complexity to the story with little to no impact on how the game plays out.
It's only used as an introduction with maybe a few flavor words sprinkled here and there.
Imo, this feature should just be ditched unless it can be implemented in a way that makes sense gameplay-wise, (like a corruption system) instead of being a shitty excuse to drive the plot of the story.

The things that Newlife does right in my opinion:
The interactive sex mechanics and the NPC relationship system are good.
These two elements are well designed so that personality/physical traits/appearance matters when you interacts with NPCs.
The pregnancy system is a good feature with interesting effects on the aforementioned elements.
So far I have not found a game that manages to blend all these features as well as Newlife.

Another strong point is NPC customization, you can design a bunch of NPCs (including special ones) with desired/unwanted traits and you have the ability to create some of their physical characteristic (eye/hair/skin/race).
I think it's an excellent features that gives the game a lot of replayability.
However, I also think this could be improved on by giving slightly more customization flexibility for the NPCs.
For example, since the writing is very vague about the frame in which the story takes place (it's supposed to be in England but I would have never guessed), it would be cool to be able to design custom NPCs around various theme like fantastic races.

Personal suggestion to the devs working on a new project similar to Newlife:
There are no 'lifesim' type of games that let's you play as a trap/femboy (not sissy, more like Hiro in ToA).
There's definitely an unexploited market niche in that category.
I'd be quite happy to see a Newlife successor that let's you choose/design a female or a male(trap) character, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Tend

Feb 14, 2018
To the devs that want to create a similar game as Newlife:
First off good luck to you. Second, you shouldn't be worried about making a game that will be similar to Newlife.
There already exists similar games like Girl's Life and Accidental Woman.
On that second point, I encourage you to try these games because I think they have qualities but also horrible flaws regarding gameplay/design choice and/or development strategy.

One thing I find those games to fail terribly at is the "Male => Female transformation".
It's adding useless complexity to the story with little to no impact on how the game plays out.
It's only used as an introduction with maybe a few flavor words sprinkled here and there.
Imo, this feature should just be ditched unless it can be implemented in a way that makes sense gameplay-wise, (like a corruption system) instead of being a shitty excuse to drive the plot of the story.

The things that Newlife does right in my opinion:
The interactive sex mechanics and the NPC relationship system are good.
These two elements are well designed so that personality/physical traits/appearance matters when you interacts with NPCs.
The pregnancy system is a good feature with interesting effects on the aforementioned elements.
So far I have not found a game that manages to blend all these features as well as Newlife.

Another strong point is NPC customization, you can design a bunch of NPCs (including special ones) with desired/unwanted traits and you have the ability to create some of their physical characteristic (eye/hair/skin/race).
I think it's an excellent features that gives the game a lot of replayability.
However, I also think this could be improved on by giving slightly more customization flexibility for the NPCs.
For example, since the writing is very vague about the frame in which the story takes place (it's supposed to be in England but I would have never guessed), it would be cool to be able to design custom NPCs around various theme like fantastic races.

Personal suggestion to the devs working on a new project similar to Newlife:
There are no 'lifesim' type of games that let's you play as a trap/femboy (not sissy, more like Hiro in ToA).
There's definitely an unexploited market niche in that category.
I'd be quite happy to see a Newlife successor that let's you choose/design a female or a male(trap) character, but that's just me.
I couldn't have said it better.

VoxAeterna

Apr 16, 2018
I'm pretty sure the reason so many games have that in them is so it can be added (and advertised) to the database over at TFGames. The less content you add, the easier it is to implement, while still technically being within the confines of what a "TF Game" is thus meaning more people come across your project.

It is what it is.

ohwhatnow

Feb 19, 2019
What is the "party girl impregnation dare" scene? And what are the conditions to trigger it?
I could be wrong, but it's referring to the truth or dare minigame that takes place during an event where you help your impregnator friend breed (and he happens to pick a party girl as his victim). I just ran through the scene again and I didn't notice any obvious differences. If you haven't seen this event it's also one of the ones you can adjust with the weight modifiers properties file. Afaik there's no other requirements besides befriending someone with the impregnator trait and going through the chain of events whenever it randomly pops up.

JDBlades

Apr 30, 2020
I really should get into programming, or at least understand how this game works. He currently has 800+ Patrons and I am sure I could churn something out far quicker and with more content. Especially with the recent updates this just seems like a money grab.

Reactions: afc2112

Lunaspera

Aug 23, 2017
I really should get into programming, or at least understand how this game works. He currently has 800+ Patrons and I am sure I could churn something out far quicker and with more content. Especially with the recent updates this just seems like a money grab.
It's not as easy as it looks like. I know people want it to be and it really does seem so when you look at the unstylized buttons and default swing UI that Splendid Ostrich used, but there's quite a lot of writing behind it(both in terms of story and code).

A NewLife clone on something like Renpy or SugarCube could be pretty interesting.

It feels like forever since NewLife first came out - and back then it appeared full of promise. Now it's just stagnating away
I personally feel like a lot of games are similiar when they are written in Renpy. Not sure if its due to limitations of the engine or other reasons. I think a couple features such as the sex system might be difficult to implement in Renpy though. But yeah, Newlife is now like 7 years old and obviously there are newer UI Frameworks such as Javafx and other options to make a good text adventure.

Jun 8, 2017
Anyone figure out how to get the office rival pregnant yet? I know that the rival’s traits are supposed to be the opposite to yours so l figured using a bitchy, outgoing, cunning character who doesn’t like using protection will yield a rival that is shy, timid, naive for you to manipulate into the hands of a sleazy boss but it still have yet to work. Ripping off her clothes when she pours coffee on you will just cause her to run away from the men instead.

Jun 8, 2017
Nvm I figured it out I think. You may need to make a custom character to overwrite the rival being a polar opposite of you. I made her a party girl who wants kids and doesn't use protection. I made the boss sleazy and a impregnator. I made myself bitchy and cunning (I also had baby crazy but I don't think it matters). I got the boss's number and became his girlfriend with a child by him (I am not sure that you have to date him but your character has to know that he is a impregnator). Once you hit the job rank of PA, there is a scene where you are scheduling his appointments and you can manipulate the rival to have sex with him unprotected.

There is also another scene that involves a one-time NPC and you can have the same dialog options with her as with the PA boss route.

The fact that it took this much custom NPC tweaking means to get the Rival Impregnation scene organically/without cheats and custom NPCs, it would be extremely rare.

ExcitedTengu

Jun 27, 2018
Anybody know the requirements for the party girl dare thing? It actually sounds interesting.
Figured it out, turns out its attached to having a friend with the impregnator trait asking you to help knock up a party girl. Overall it was okay and I kinda wish SO would do a bit more like that.

Jun 8, 2017
Yeah it has been not working with my MPB after I updated to the new OSX. Apparently there is a thing that I saw you can do on Terminal/Console to launch it but it seems way too over my head.

bestfriends

Nov 21, 2016
Yeah it has been not working with my MPB after I updated to the new OSX. Apparently there is a thing that I saw you can do on Terminal/Console to launch it but it seems way too over my head.
what kind of error message do you get?
my macbook had the same problem recently, what fixed it for me was putting the whole newlife file in the application folder an open it from there

Feb 10, 2018
Hi there! ♫
I'm not really new, have just been lurking for quite a while and I've been following this thread and some other text games on this site.
Figured I drop in and mention that I am just like PD_ developing a game which is inspired by NewLife and Lilith's Throne. I still have one exam ahead of me next week, after which I'll be focusing on making a demo to release soonish with a proper game thread.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Good Luck!

This tipe of game are hard to do, so many options and branches.... they're tough to program and create contain for all

I want to see how you keep your project.

3.50 star(s) 34 Votes