FrogFrozen

Jan 9, 2018
Oh, ok. Thank you all I could find was that in an event where the jerk threatens to blackmail me and the boyfriend has the LIKES_TO_SHARE trait, he will not mind that I'm cheating on him so I wasn’t sure, and like you said the wiki no longer exists so I could not look it up.
Yeah, that's a different event that happens if you're just cheating on your boyfriend with a character who has the Jerk personality outside of any eventline. Jerk doesn't need to be your friend.

If the jerk comes to know about your boyfriend, you might get that blackmail scene at random on some weeks. If you refuse to sleep with him, he'll tell your boyfriend about you cheating on him. If the boyfriend has LIKES_TO_SHARE, your boyfriend won't be mad at you for cheating and give you the explicit okay to have affairs.

The Jerk then gets weirded out by it all and runs away. :V

Reactions: Nitan17
Mar 3, 2019
That actually reminds me. A changelog stated that you can now trigger walking into the men's locker room on accident even if you start as a woman. I forget what that scene actually involves/leads to and the wiki is gone, so I can't look it up there anymore.
If I remember you need to be SULTRY to go into the male changing room. That leads to either having to dance for them or flirting with one which in turn can lead to a shower scene.

Menthols

Jul 1, 2017
New update out, the dev took a month to write in 1 scene on a basic text game. The only other content added was from a contributor that altered some text.

He prob sat down for 1 single night this month to write out the code for that scene, then for the rest of the month relaxed collecting his patreonies. Why do people give this guy money? Please explain it to me.

Jul 28, 2017
i have asked myself the same question over and over again, worst of all is that orstrich is not the only one who's doing this kind of shit, plenty of other patreon devs are doing it too.

violet.rain

Aug 19, 2020
I mean, if you look at it from their perspective, if you can make $2000 or however much it is for 5-10 hours of work a month, why would you not do it? Not that I'm defending that kind of attitude, far from it. But at the end of the day, as long as people keep enabling them, they'll keep doing it.

Jun 8, 2017
New update out, the dev took a month to write in 1 scene on a basic text game. The only other content added was from a contributor that altered some text.

He prob sat down for 1 single night this month to write out the code for that scene, then for the rest of the month relaxed collecting his patreonies. Why do people give this guy money? Please explain it to me.
Well did you play it? If you have, why haven’t you uploaded the latest version and provided a link?

Even the change log makes the new content sound underwhelming. With the previous ones, the change log at least gave you a sense of false-hope that the new content was at least a few screens-worth of new stuff. This time the change log sounds like it’s maybe a paragraph or two to set up the scene followed by the generic sex scene.

soulsacrifice

May 27, 2017

What I think is that those who are still giving him money are the people that forget to unsub shortly before they died because of the lack of content in Newlife.

Conundrum

Jun 3, 2017
The wiki is gone, but the wiki explicitly stated that if your boyfriend has the LIKES_TO_SHARE trait, it blocks off that specific line of events. The reason for this is that the eventline has all it's scenes written with the assumption that your boyfriend does not have that trait.

It's another one of the eventlines that's horribly under-written. LIKES_TO_SHARE doesn't have it's unique content in it yet and you also can't actually leave your boyfriend for the jerk friend yet either.
The Boyfriends_Jerk_Friend event chain can be blocked by a whole range of things...
It can't fire if the boyfriend has either the LIKES_TO_SHARE or DOORMAT trait and/or the Jerk Personality, not quite certain, but Selfish personality might block it as well.
Also, you need to have been with the BF for a few weeks and he needs to like you a bit, AFAIK relationship status needs to be better than shaky (aka good or close).
Since he needs to like you, MISANTHROPE probably blocks the chain as well, but COLD_HEARTED does not anymore, as the love point requirement was removed a few versions ago.

The only unique content for LIKES_TO_SHARE I can think of right now is the reaction to the Blackmail event you already mentioned, also you get a similar reaction if you confess cheating via serious talk (as in, he gets horny and takes you to bed) and he's always up for a threesome.
Oh and if he's got the CHEATER trait and you're married, if you catch him in the act and confront him, he'll be annoyed at the interruption and tell you to go fuck other people as well.

That actually reminds me. A changelog stated that you can now trigger walking into the men's locker room on accident even if you start as a woman. I forget what that scene actually involves/leads to and the wiki is gone, so I can't look it up there anymore.
If I remember you need to be SULTRY to go into the male changing room. That leads to either having to dance for them or flirting with one which in turn can lead to a shower scene.
These are different scenes.
The one FrogFrozen refers to is the accidental one, here's the blurb from the relevant changelog:
  • Following a PM on patreon, relaxed the conditions to accidentally walk into the men's changing room at the gym. The request was to add a new trait to enable it for female-start characters, but instead I've decided to unlock it for any forgetful character who is not also perceptive. Non-forgetful gender-bent characters can still access the scene at low femininity, although perceptive will still prevent them from making the mistake.​
Probably depends on your character's personality/traits a bit, maybe on the main guy in that scene as well, but generally you're asked to do a little sexy dance so they don't report you and that's pretty much it.
The Sultry version is just your character consciously deciding to walk in there to fuck around.

Jun 8, 2017
I guess we should inform as many people as possible about Splendid's fraud with this game. He will keep adding 2-3 scenes per months and sucking people's money.
He doesn't deserve the money as for now. Please, tell about this at any forums with this game. We should make him work properly again.
Maybe thats why we haven't had anyone here upload the latest version yet, no one is willing to pay to get little in return. SO might as well start working for the production company that makes One Piece since its moving at the same rate.

Aromabish

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2017
I see this is getting ridiculous. There are also unpleased people on his blog, but splendid just running away from the problem by talking about different things.

Jul 28, 2017
I work around 35-40 hours a week, every week with no holidays. At the end of the month I often have to work a bit longer: maybe an extra 5-10 hours for the last week of the month. If someone says that I work less than that then they are either lying or they are mistaken.

I'm not saying that "other devs are lazy so it's ok if I am too". I don't think that other devs are lazy. Most successful games represent a huge amount of hard work. I think other devs work very hard.

People can want more content. Of course. More content is better than less content. But what am I to do about it? Should I work 80 hours a week? 100 hours? No. That is not healthy and it's not fair for people to ask it of me. It's especially rude that they act like I'm some evil monster because I don't want to destroy my health with crunch.

You say "I understand other people because they see a very little of added content each month comparing to previous versions". Newlife has been in development for 7 years. Of course 1 extra month of content is going to look small compared to everything that's already in the game. I started work on Newlife in late 2013: it represents something like 85 months of development. If you expect 1 month of work to look big compared to 85 months then you are not being reasonable.

Newlife is a massive game. It's hard to measure size when code & text is combined, but a word-count regex run over the java source that I wrote comes out as 1,539,807 words. The bible has 783,137 words, so Newlife is almost double the length. And that's only the java - there's also various other files including over 100 pages of documentation for custom scenes. If you think Newlife is just some small thing that anyone could make easily, then you're wrong.

Every update for Newlife represents a lot of work and a lot of content. I work very hard on these releases. But I don't just write the words you see on the screen. I also write all the paths for characters you aren't playing. Maybe you're playing a shy cute character, but I also have to write for the confident one, the sultry one, the bitchy one, the baby-crazy one. That is how Newlife is designed.
Maybe you think that's bad design, that I should be making a game where the player is always a shy cute woman and can't be confident or sultry or whatever. That might be a fair criticism. But, if you say that I don't work hard on the game then you are wrong.
from ostrich himself, from his blogspot page.
apparently he's a very hardworking boy.
i like it how he ambiguosly left out whether these hours he works are in a normal job or newlive development, very sneaky.

pizbia

Sep 17, 2017
>If you think Newlife is just some small thing that anyone could make easily, then you're wrong.

tfw literally thousands of other games on this site and only the abandoned ones are slower than this

also the way he went on a 5 page "let's look at the facts" response to a 2 line comment had me smelling soy through my computer screen lol

Jul 28, 2017
The dev of developed the game himself over a period of 4 years.
Barone spent four years working on the project, redoing it multiple times, and was the sole developer on the game, frequently spending 10 hours or more a day working on it. He programmed it in using the framework, while also creating all of the game's pixel art and composing all of the music .
that's what a motivated, determined and hardworking individual can accomplish if he sets out to complete a task, something which ostrich obviously doesn't want to do because that would mean that he would stop receiving the patreon shekels.

3.40 star(s) 35 Votes