Mwanted

Oct 1, 2017
I don't know what you guys do for a living, but I'm guessing you have to earn your money as I do.
This guy have just made about 10000 $ by doing nothing. NOTHING. And on average he makes the same amount every month doing barely nothing. It goes beyond my comprehension.

EDIT: wait, It gets worse. The other day I was reading part of his discord channel out of curiosity, and do you want to know what he thinks about his monthly income? He says that in UK a java programmer can easily earn more that what he does.

Last edited:

taytay

Jun 18, 2017
I don't think SO makes $10k per month. He has about 1k patrons, and his cheapest tier is $5, meaning the majority of patrons will be $5 ones. I would say $6-7k per month tops.

As for Java devs making more than that, I think that might be accurate if you are a senior/"full-stack" dev. Tech is extremely profitable.

The problem is, I'm pretty sure he's working as a full time (junior) dev while coding Newlife on the side. Which (I suspect) is why development is so slow.

Reactions: Ibib

Mwanted

Oct 1, 2017
I don't think SO makes $10k per month. He has about 1k patrons, and his cheapest tier is $5, meaning the majority of patrons will be $5 ones. I would say $6-7k per month tops.

As for Java devs making more than that, I think that might be accurate if you are a senior/"full-stack" dev. Tech is extremely profitable.

The problem is, I'm pretty sure he's working as a full time (junior) dev while coding Newlife on the side. Which (I suspect) is why development is so slow.
No. Pledges go from 5 to 25, and the 10$ pledge is what let you vote on polls for future development (if someone is crazy enough to pay for that). It's more around 10k.
And no, development is slow because he doesn't work and he doesn't care. It's as simple as that. Of course he's nowhere near being a decent developer, but that's another topic.

Sep 10, 2017
Newlife 0.4.13 patron version.

Changelog:

Major changes & additions:
  • Added new content based around the cunning trait. Some of this is not available for Nice characters. This includes:
    • Cheating at the card game
    • Convincing your innocent friend to get involved with the lowlives.
    • Getting the innocent colleague to sort out the boss' problem during a presentation at work (innocent NPCs really are getting the short end of the stick in this release)
    • Cheating at the partner dance contest. Some of the existing solo cheating options are also now available for non-bitchy cunning characters but players still need the bitchy trait to access the crueller paths.
    • Accessing the “helping an impregnator” friendship event. I'm not convinced this shockingly evil scheme makes much sense for a non-evil character but I've had a lot of requests to slacken the requirements and it is relevant for cunning characters.
  • Included a new scene that was written by Rigel. In this scene you run into the lowlives again when on a day out with your friend. Anyone interested in Velocity should definitely check out Rigel's work. Their skill with Velocity certainly exceeds mine so we can all learn from them!
Minor changes & bugfixes:
  • Fixes to text issues. Thanks to Death25, OrangeJuice, Megh, Pgiac6 and Thomas123 for reporting some of these.
  • Fixed an error reported by Antage in the blackmail scene when you use the “friends don't blackmail” action.
  • Fixed a bug where “addFlag” was being called instead of “hasFlag” in one of the blackmail scene conditions.
  • The cunning trait now gives +10 to starting charm.
  • As requested by FutureSight, the “shop for your flat” action now shows your money when the scene starts and in the describe-scene text and window-shopping action.
  • Modified NPC preference scoring so that impregnators should be better disposed towards the “have 3 kids” vow request unless they don't like children.
  • Added a new male orgasm text for the first time you sleep with your boss, as long as it's in the missionary position and without a condom.
  • The game will now generate 4 lowlives, as there's a chance that the new path can block one from being available for the befriending scene so there needs to be a replacement. The scene itself still only uses 3, chosen randomly from the available ones.
Changes for user-submitted content:
  • Yaml files can now include an optional characterDescriptionTextId entry to override the default character descriptions: see the yml syntax guide for details. If you want to use the default functionality then you should leave this entry out completely.
  • The haveOrgasm method is now also available for male NPCs: you can thank Rigel for pointing out this omission in their scene submission.

Ibib

Aug 5, 2016
If that was true then almost every programmer would self-teach him/herself java and move to the UK.
$10k a month is pretty obtainable for a highly qualified programmer. Newlife is not the product of even a decent dev, he does write good story though. Didn't he admit that he wasn't even a dev in the beginning?

Reactions: taytay

mbRjpZLD

Apr 28, 2017
No. Pledges go from 5 to 25, and the 10$ pledge is what let you vote on polls for future development (if someone is crazy enough to pay for that). It's more around 10k.
And no, development is slow because he doesn't work and he doesn't care. It's as simple as that. Of course he's nowhere near being a decent developer, but that's another topic.
Average earnings per patreon were around 5$ back when that was still public, see
So it's more like $6k/month which would actually be very little for a Java programmer based in London.
Thing is, that guy is not a professional Java developer. Just look at the Newlife code, lol.

kymico

Nov 29, 2016
Another change log full of fluff. Some changes around a specific trait you may or may not want, a custom scene from a patreon and about a dozen small bug fixes. 33 days since the last update....

Where's the new content? When did he add something meaningful to his game?

Mwanted

Oct 1, 2017
Average earnings per patreon were around 5$ back when that was still public, see
So it's more like $6k/month which would actually be very little for a Java programmer based in London.
Thing is, that guy is not a professional Java developer. Just look at the Newlife code, lol.
Uhm my bad, thank you. Looking at the descriptions I could have sworn people would go more on the 10$ then balance on the other pledges. Considering the work hours he put in this it's still *a lot*, but at least not shamefully a lot.

Sep 10, 2017
Uhm my bad, thank you. Looking at the descriptions I could have sworn people would go more on the 10$ then balance on the other pledges. Considering the work hours he put in this it's still *a lot*, but at least not shamefully a lot.
Unless you start estimating how much work he put into each update. Then 6K/5 hours sounds like a lot again.

Reactions: xoxo1001 and Ibib

VL0rD

Oct 29, 2016
is there a way to increase stats and money... in other words cheats... :happyblush

Blockout

Mar 26, 2017
Why would you need to cheat?

Just don't do anything besides work for the first 2 weeks.

3.40 star(s) 35 Votes