Dnds

Out to Play
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
@brynhildr Theres a lot of games like that on TFGames, basically a lot of people seem to be into the male to female change lol, it was also there that I first heard about this game, so being there for a while I can't say I was surprised when I saw this one.

@acid_11 If I had a coin for every time I saw someone saying that lol. I'm not saying I don't get where you're coming from, I also used to rage over this in the past, but today I think its kind of pointless to point that out, people have been saying it for years, and those guys still have a lot of patreons. I have come to the conclusion that people who donate just want to do so, regardless of whether the product will be finished or if it has faster development.

brynhildr

Compulsive Gambler
Jun 2, 2017
@brynhildr Theres a lot of games like that on TFGames, basically a lot of people seem to be into the male to female change lol, it was also there that I first heard about this game, so being there for a while I can't say I was surprised when I saw this one.
I know that sadly, but some of them at least give the option to be a complete female or have some male parts in the process (didn't try that many, but those few were like this. And right now I don't remember the titles, it's been a long time since I went to that site. Just these past few months I have thought about it again). At the cost/point of being repetitive, he could've at least left an option for the shemale "route".

Oh well, guess I'll just go after some dilf with this female char and get pregnant by some of them :tf:

Reactions: Dnds

Fougere

Mar 9, 2018
Yeah thats from setup screne but I was thinking traits like pushover or race
That's what my unanswered question was about, there used to be 3 different custom npc creation tools to make the whole thing easier, sadly all their creators seem like they're also part of the disapointed patrons team. Still, those tools were just meant to let us save time, the whole custom thing can be made. You can find a messy bunch of guides in the "custom_npc_guides" folder inside your game folder, just open those .yml files with a text editor program such as your system notepad. It's more boring than difficult.

Witar

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2018
Any chance we will be allowed to stay a man without gender bender? Love the game by the way :happyblush

ncquolopow

Aug 17, 2018
Hi. New on this forum but played Newlife since its inception (so I guess about 3-4 years).

I agree, creating custom clothes would be a great addition to the game. Why haven't SO added something like this, even the last part of the patreon goal, which is somewhat vague (mildly speaking) and has been close to reaching the goal for ages now without actually reaching it. That goal only mentions an way to generate outfits automatically, any actual custom clothes made by the users are not on the table it seems. :(

Perhaps you can do it with the "user submitted mod content" that SO made available to the users to create their own scenes? Using that to mod the game is far beyond my ability though, way to much actual coding involved and way to little knowledge of coding on my part. I really doubt you can use it to actually change core game mechanics such as stats on clothing, since SO likes to have full control of how the game works.
I'm not really a coder but would it be posable to create a save editor of sort that would allow you to create custom clothing? :L
It's possible. In fact, it's easily implementable. All he needs from users is name of clothing, adjectives/variations (thin, short, etc.), ranges of each stat modifiers, description, and categories (going out, wedding, etc.). He can have the program parse the clothing data at the start of the game just like it parses the files for custom npcs. SO is just lazy (or whatever you want to call it). This amount of work can be done within one day.

Lots of words... but all in all a filler month.

What's the next actual addition he's working on?
Agreed. As I mentioned, I played this game for a few years already and development speed is hilariously slow for a text-based cyoa. Some major flaws:

-Still only one job option.

-No combat system or any system that's complex enough to require some thought. Combat system is probably just using your combat stat and using it as the % chance you win combat. Like if you have 47 combat skill then its probably just 47% chance to not get robbed if you fight. The simplest shit. The 21 card game and clothing sets generation are probably the most complex things in this game math/codingwise, and honestly that's sad. The 21 game is the only thing in this game that requires any thought/skill if you think about it. Everything else is just what traits you picked for your PC + your development of your stats + what option you pick = pretty much always same outcome.

-NPCs are extremely predictable in behavior. Jerks and selfish guys don't, for example, pretend to act like normal/good guys to get in your pants (you'd think the clever ones would but they don't). Normal/good guys don't have "off days" or bad events where they get stressed out/angry. You can already tell a lot about a guy from what drink they buy you and what they say. Not much guessing/gaming here. You just pick the type of guy you like and spam "kiss" and your favorite sex options for bajillion days straight until he loves you (unless he has the trait where you can't). In general, the nice guys easily fall in love with you. The not-so-nice guys you just need to kiss and have sex a lot more to have them fall in love with you. If you want anybody to hate you (except the guys that "likes to share"), just cheat on them and confess cheating. Sex went from being sexy years ago to just being a plain nuisance/chore. Sex should be more of a rare/special event imo. Overall the path to get the ending you want is way too predictable and easy, which makes the game not replayable. Replayability in this game is basically "I want to see this one scene" so you choose your PC with the traits and develop the stats that allow you to see that scene...and even if you meet the requirements, you sometimes have to spam New Week a bunch of times because of stupid random minor events popping up instead.

-Speaking of endings...years of development and there's probably like 5 endings or so? Turn back to male; stay female (and single); loser partner; ok with partner; in love with partner. Pretty anticlimatic and disappointing after 52+ weeks of play only to get like 2-3 sentences for an ending.

-Not much control over how much you're attracted to or love a NPC. Like just because I'm kissing some guy and having sex doesn't mean I love them. Maybe I just want their money or a better job or something else. Or maybe I want to gain their favor to beat up some other guy I don't like. This game needs to ask for your preferences for not just body types and dick size and what not. It should ask for a bunch of preferences (Accidental Woman is an example of doing it right...and AW blows away NL in pretty much every other way too) on top of "decision scenes" so you can have more control over like/loving per NPC.

-There's way more problems than the ones I listed but eh I think I covered most of the problems so I'll stop here

There you go, latest version.

@wynin
Thank you.

Does anyone know what this "scene" is? I don't seem to be able to trigger it. I tried things like selfish, jerks, impregnators, sleazy etc...
I think I triggered it a few times with a jerk npc. It's not even a scene...you just get 3 options for how you decide you think about him. 1. you hate him 2. you dislike him 3. give him more chances. Something like that. Pretty sad for a major monthly update.

I decided to give it a try to this game, but now I'm wondering the basic thing of all the basics things out there (and probably someone already answer this, but I'm deeply sorry, 40 pages just to search if anything asked this - though no particular answer can be given, I'm sure of it - it's not worth it):

Why a male start? Why someone would make a things like this that lasts something like... two pages with no possibilities of doing a simple and normal male life, and instead you get turned into a female? Might as well starting the whole game immediately by being a female. And with this I mean removing completely the fact of "New Game as male" and letting only the "New Game as female" take the lead.
I mean, I don't think that most of the traits and "skills" that you choose when you're still a man in the char customization are somewhat useful if you're a woman, unless you can be a shemale (since some of it regards your cock) but I doubt it. Or am I wrong? Since I've yet to discover completely this game of course.
I think because it was meant to be a TG game in the first place. This is a "What if you got turned into a woman. How would you live your life?" game. For the male traits, I think it's only used for deciding what female traits you will have only if you chose one of the options that bases female traits on your former male traits. Like if you're "Handsome" as a male, you end up "Beautiful" as a female. If you're "Outgoing" as a male, you're still "Outgoing" as a female.

Is there any way to set up who spawns and with what traits among npcs?
Yes and yes. Go to your newlife directory then the custom_npc_guides subdirectory. Open "customNpcGuide.yml" if you want to create a male npc or "customFemaleNpcGuide.yml" if you want to create a female npc. After reading the guide and knowing what traits are available, use "npcTemplate.yml" or "FemaleNpcTemplate.yml" as your template. Make a copy of the template file you are using and paste it into the following directory: newlife/newlife_gamedata/user_created_npcs. Edit the .yml file you pasted to customize your npc. If you created your npc properly, you should see him/her in the game next time you run it.

Yeah, I don't understand why people give the dev money. I'd be raging as a patreon.

Edit: just checked, the dev is making 5k a month MINIMUM, lol
It's gross how much money he/she makes given how simplistic of a game this is and the development pace. This game and Simbro have the most ignorant patreons. Reason this game (and Simbro) is so popular imo is just that there wasn't any competition. I played Cursed (on RAGS engine) which is probably the pioneer game in this genre (seems NL was heavily inspired by Cursed) as well as Girl Life. Like NL, they're all just alright...they all do some things well and some things not so well. All of them are not really complex/replayable. Difference is that for some reason, NL was put on Patreon and people actually pay (too much) for it.

Now AW on the other hand...if I developed a game in this genre, it would have been much like AW. I was really surprised and happy when AW started development. Never thought someone would actually make an actual serious sim game (i.e. something with non-elementary math) within this genre but it's happening. I see some people doubting AW but that project actually looks very promising (dev seems experienced and passionate)...and that's coming from someone who's usually a skeptic. NL is a game that a single community college student can create in less than a year with the knowledge from 1-2 semesters of Java courses. Not something worth 5k a month at all. AW is deserving of funding so much more than NL. But I'm not worried. People might not be able to tell the difference between good and crap now, but they will see how much better AW is than NL soon enough.

acid_11

Aug 12, 2017

@acid_11 If I had a coin for every time I saw someone saying that lol. I'm not saying I don't get where you're coming from, I also used to rage over this in the past, but today I think its kind of pointless to point that out, people have been saying it for years, and those guys still have a lot of patreons. I have come to the conclusion that people who donate just want to do so, regardless of whether the product will be finished or if it has faster development.
Fair enough!

kymico

Nov 29, 2016
Apologies. Let me go back on subject.

Can't believe this release is nothing but bug fixes and optional very specific scenes. This totally hasn't happened before! What is he actually trying to work on next and will it be released in time for Christmas?

Reactions: ncquolopow

gobbet

Oct 11, 2017
I completely agree, the game has great potential that we'll probably never see. New jobs, new events for everybody and not just limited to certain traits and certain friends. We could go to the beach, different dates, go to a carnival, a zoo, whatever.

And from what I have heard, it seems like his remaining patrons all want more pregnancy content. I mean, I try not to judge other people's kinks, but that one just baffles me.

brynhildr

Compulsive Gambler
Jun 2, 2017
I think the reason why you keep coming back is that theirs only a small few games like it.
Please, if you need to write more sentence than just one, edit your reply and include them within. Don't post 5875 times in a row, one after another. Thanks!

gobbet

Oct 11, 2017
Can we please stop with all the discussion on AW? It's out there, people know about it, they can look into it or not at their discretion. Lofty praise or scathing criticism alike, it really doesn't belong here in this thread.

This is from my frustration of the "going down on you" option where you can only experience one orgasm while "loud in bedroom" sexual trait makes you get two before the guy stops. Look, if I were a chick I'd take full advantage of the fact I can have quick orgasms one after the other (well, not all girls but you know what I mean). The fact I have to do a whole new game and redo my wardrobe just to change one small thing blows my mind, something that I could gain from experience in-game.
The number of orgasms you can have from a guy going down on you is actually tied to your fitness stat, with the "Passionate Lover" trait giving you one extra at a given level of fitness. So you don't have to start over to get off more from oral sex, just hit the gym more. No, it doesn't really make sense, but there it is.

jmueller

Sep 25, 2017
>I'm at the point where I've seen a few Newlife clones and I'm so frustrated on how little things that could be added to Newlife could make it a great game that I want to start writing code. Sure, there's mod scenes that I could start off to learn by but the hoops through NL discord and SO being shady aren't worth it. I'll reach my breaking point one day and make my own Newlife. This is all talk, of course, but damn...it's got me thinking hard, you know?

I felt the same thing, started teaching myself C# (I knew a decent amount of C/C++ way back in the day). But turns out making games (even a simple text-based interface like Newlife) requires a lot of effort and I have a day job. There's a tutorial called "Learn C# by Building a Simple RPG" by Scott Lilly that's pretty decent.

Jun 1, 2017
The number of orgasms you can have from a guy going down on you is actually tied to your fitness stat, with the "Passionate Lover" trait giving you one extra at a given level of fitness. So you don't have to start over to get off more from oral sex, just hit the gym more. No, it doesn't really make sense, but there it is.
You've never had a woman say to you, panting and exhausted, "No más"? (That was a Roberto Duran/Sugar Ray Leonard reference for all you youngsters.) Granted, I was a lot more fit myself the last time that happened to me, but I think it makes some sense.

gobbet

Oct 11, 2017
You've never had a woman say to you, panting and exhausted, "No más"?
You know I have, and I've also been that woman. :p And I can totally get your fitness being tied to the amount of marathon sex you can have, that makes perfect sense. What's silly is the mechanic in this particular game where your fitness is tied specifically and only to the number of times you can ask a guy to keep going down on you.

I think comparing games within the same genre is actually on-topic. If I were in a thread about League of Legends and said something like "Dota 2 implements XYZ in this way with great results. Why can't LoL implement XYZ like Dota 2?" or "LoL has XYZ feature already. Why does Dota 2 still not have XYZ? yet." I don't believe it would be perceived as off-topic. And that's essentially the comparison that happened in this thread. But derp users and mods had difficulty determining its relevance in a NL thread.
Except that isn't what you were doing. The posts you wrote that were deleted were huge, detailed essays on why Dota 2 is super fantastic, and any criticism of it is foolish and wrong. You can see the difference, right?

3.40 star(s) 35 Votes