kymico

Nov 29, 2016
Just chiming in: Damn I love this game, and I was so hype when I first found it, but noticing it's development pattern makes me very bummed..
It's a great niche concept built on a bad development platform managed by a conservative and lazy dev.

If someone with the skill & talent make a game along these lines they'd be making a lot of money and this guy can fuck right off with his monthly "major updates". I've been passively following this game these last 2 years and the milk-fu on this one is one of the strongest.

KingDoggo

Mar 13, 2019
It's a great niche concept built on a bad development platform managed by a conservative and lazy dev.

If someone with the skill & talent make a game along these lines they'd be making a lot of money and this guy can fuck right off with his monthly "major updates". I've been passively following this game these last 2 years and the milk-fu on this one is one of the strongest.
It really is, I love the game. Would no one be able to create a sort of fork or..?

International

Dec 9, 2019
It really is, I love the game. Would no one be able to create a sort of fork or..?
It's not open source, and the whole thing is a mess of 6 years of shitty code.

The backend of the game is simple enough, but writing a bunch of scenes with permutations is not. I've seen good coders whip up more complex apps in a short amount of time. None of those had a bunch of creative writing embedded, though.

squiddysquidsquid

Sep 2, 2019
The codebase of this game I'm sure is an absolute pile spaghetti code (iirc this project was to learn java), and would probably be best served if it was completely redone.

Judging by the update scheduling/quality of updates, I'm guessing that SO is not in any way shape or form a project manager.

I'm also going to guess that this is a second job for them, and I can completely sympathize not wanting to work on an adult game java project when you get home or have some semblance of a social life, but the majority of updates just seem to be a distracted Saturday's worth of work for ~$3k a month.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdibolcrif

NextTimeMaybe

Jan 27, 2018
Updated the file to allow guys to orgasm more than once a day. Replace your .jar file with this one.
Great job, thank you! Are there any bugs we should be aware of?
EDIT: Okay, just figured it out myself, like I should to begin with :D Anyways, works fine, with just the slight drawback that the NPC's arousal doesn't reset after sex, which occasionally results in the male comically jizzing his pants before even starting sex. Oh well, guess it only adds to the experience of being a hot woman. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

lifesuckz69

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah, i did not follow those pregnancy updates too closely, so I didn't know they were all minor

Anyways, works fine, with just the slight drawback that the NPC's arousal doesn't reset after sex, which occasionally results in the male comically jizzing his pants before even starting sex. Oh well, guess it only adds to the experience of being a hot woman. :ROFLMAO:
I always tried to do that in the game and was disappointed it did not work, but I guess it being a buggy side effect is not what I was hoping for XD

Large Particle

Mar 27, 2019
I've been here since the very beginning of Newlife development and yeah, it's pretty sad to see development the way it is now. My kink being preg/ impreg I'm glad that it exists, but being drip fed progress while there are so few games that actually don't game over when you get knocked up is pure torture. Of course now there are delays on top of the 1 update a month. No wonder he took off how much money he was getting a month. Fucking ridiculous.

symptom1818

Aug 1, 2017
"Apparently" to many people this and other creators are bound to deliver games & other content when those people wish to.

Don't get me wrong, I myself would like to have much more content released & probably more often, but people are getting more and more demanding each month, giving nothing in return. If you do give something in return and are disappointed, just stop supporting. It's that easy.

One thing is certain, whining won't get you anywhere.

Teize

Nov 6, 2017
"Apparently" to many people this and other creators are bound to deliver games & other content when those people wish to.

Don't get me wrong, I myself would like to have much more content released & probably more often, but people are getting more and more demanding each month, giving nothing in return. If you do give something in return and are disappointed, just stop supporting. It's that easy.

I understand your point and agree to an extent but supporting/not supporting SO and giving criticism isn't mutually exclusive. Obviously SO is under no obligation to listen to anyone, supporters or otherwise but people "whining" can encourage others to not give even more money somebody who is very clearly doing the bare minimum required and this is also a forum...a place where people can share opinions and whatever.

It's not like SO is doing this for fun, it is a paying job which they get thousands every month and of course, paying supporters or not, people expect them to do their job. Yes, some of the stuff being said here can be argued as people being greedy or angry or whatever but considering anyone can go to his blog and compare changelogs from now to three years ago, there is a pretty obvious decline in content. To make it worse, the last few releases has mostly been powered by fan submitted content, which means that SO works maybe a week tops on each monthly release.

Negative or positive opinion of SO and how they work, reducing it to people being "demanding" and that they are simply "whining" is being quite narrow minded, imo. (I apologise if I am coming across harsh, not my intention at all.)

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
It's not like SO is doing this for fun, it is a paying job which they get thousands every month and of course, paying supporters or not, people expect them to do their job.
Then maybe the people with those expectations (and who are also patrons) should remember that they are donating their money to the developer, which means that they aren't that developer's employers! :smile:

kallabunga

Sep 4, 2018

well, that's not quite correct. SO has a patreon and thus works on a monthly release schedule as he has promised his patrons, it's not really us being entitled if we get mad at him for breaking that...

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
works on a monthly release schedule as he has promised his patrons, it's not really us being entitled if we get mad at him for breaking that...
I totally agree.

However based on the ToS of that site SO is under no legal obligation to supply anything to those that are donating money, as there is no contract between those patrons and the creator. The contracts are between the patrons and the site, and between the site and the creator.

kallabunga

Sep 4, 2018
I totally agree.

However based on the ToS of that site SO is under no legal obligation to supply anything to those that are donating money, as there is no contract between those patrons and the creator. The contracts are between the patrons and the site, and between the site and the creator.
well it's a good thing i'm not saying SO's patreon should get removed for breaking TOS then, or that we should be taking legal action against him for not updating.

Vasin

Nov 20, 2018
Man, I haven't played this game for about half a year and definitely don't feel entitled to anything, but if SO delivers these "updates" like this he's practically asking to get roasted.

It's a forum and everyone is free to voice their opinions

Mallee

Aug 24, 2017
I'm sure some people are being ridiculous and talking about that extreme (legal action), but most people are just annoyed that he's piecemealing content out bit-by-bit and can't even update according to the parameters he's set.

Don't mix "wow, a delay even beyond what he stated - I bet we'll get like two bugfixes" with "omg, I'm going to sue this asshole for taking my fucking money every month" and act like the latter means criticism in general is entitlement.

When you fail to do your job, you generally face angry people. His job is to create the game - he's getting paid to do this and requested money from followers explicitly so that he could focus on the game rather than other paying projects and put "long hours" into it routinely. He also set his own release schedule and placed those delivery expectations upon himself.

Working from home/not a traditional 9-5 doesn't mean this isn't a job without expectations. Whether you're working a part time job or a full time job, you generally have to stick to a schedule and get work done, and that holds true across pretty much every single industry of which I can think.

It's not about people being mad they don't have the content "when they wish to". It's about them being upset that he's failing to do the things he said he'd do when he asked people to financially support development. His Patreon isn't a "hey drop a few bucks if you can" kind of deal - it's specifically a "pay me for this game so that I can work on it" setup. When that happens, the game ceases to be a hobby to which fans have zero right to expect be improved and moves more into a business transaction, be it legally defined as such or not.

Additionally, delays wouldn't be this much of an issue if he was actually releasing new content, but he's not. We get maybe a few lines of text an update and some bugfixes. And while those are important aspects of an update, they're hardly worth the money he requests people to send him. That's why people are annoyed - they're not getting content and now they're not even getting the new version of the game on time.

FWIW, I've played this game since soon after the first version was released and love it, but it hasn't changed much from then to now if we're being honest. There have been some expansions for sure, but the game has been in development for seven fucking years - it should have a lot more content than it did even three or four years ago. And if he can't commit to the game, then he should shut the patreon down entirely and stop taking peoples' money under the guise of game development. That way people really don't have a right to expect updates and he can do whatever it is he wants to do.

Not sure why you're being deliberately obtuse about why people are upset. It's absurd to whiteknight a game developer who is facing valid criticism.

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
I'm sure some people are being ridiculous....
If any of that post was in regards to my previous comments on the subject matter then I would like to point out that I haven't remarked on:
1. what feelings or reactions a Patreon should or shouldn't have if they don't feel they are getting their money's worth for what they are donating to the creator involved.
2. whether or not the creator is doing what they have promised those that are donating money to them.

I only commented on the incorrect perception that the creator was in some way (legally) employed or contracted to perform a specific job or service for those that are donating money to the creator. The site is specifically setup so that isn't the case, or else there would be interesting international and "multiple legal-region" legal issues the site's owners would need to handle.

3.40 star(s) 35 Votes