Alvir

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2022
Away for about six months and I see a lot of progress. The tutorial is very appreciated! :)

For people who fear overspending points on stats (spoilers will be kept to a bare minimum, also, obviously, Alvir might change the requirements at any time and there will be more; those are for the current public version 0.2.3)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Great analysis! But beware~ in the next update STR will influence your dmg output ^_^ (finally), and there will appear some Agility checks.

Oct 26, 2017
Major bug found
- The method for the ending will not sum up ranks as it is not properly called, resulting in either Ast's ending (highest priority in the branch, ending 1002001) or the failed ending (1001001, no rank). Endings 1001003 (fine Assistant, 18+ ranks) and 1001002 (Assistant, 5-17 ranks) will not be shown.
(If you are a player, simply follow the instructions, save the .rpy file and reload the game.)

Minor bugs found
- There's a debugging remnant visible on the upper left of the screen
- Accidentally clicking an empty battle spot/not targeting properly during battle will cause the game to crash when attempting to remove the "dead" target (ValueError: list.remove(x): x not in list)
- Layers sometimes hide/obstruct the main screen due to a missing dissolve (I've been trying to reproduce where; one of them might be the second Friday Ast encounter)
Additions to the mini-guide
- Reminder on how ranks work: rank 0 and 1 get full XP, then XP earned is divided by the rank and rounded (if the rank has a bonus, e.g. MA+1 from Knight, use the base rank, not the final one).
Example: At rank 5 with 18 INT for the MC, Knowledge gains for a 2-hour session from the Library lessons and Librarian job are (3*1.8)/5 = 1.1 point (rounded up from 1.08).
- Gains often are time-dependent (day of the week, calendar hour or both) and will (silently) give different gains. Many of the AH skillgains are base 10 points, meaning 10+10+20+34+40=114 sessions=23 days to cap the skill at 5:0% (50 more sessions, or 10 days, are needed for 5:100% but the only benefit you get is Niwair congratulating you and making you waste 2 hours and 10 energy, lol). Don't forget to have Niwair rank up the character or all excess XP will be lost (if you can't afford it, train something else while you make money).
- The most lucrative and efficient jobs for the active heroine (as of 0.2.3) are Cleaning Staff in the Bathhouse and the HLE Shrine. Cleaning can be increased in many ways (including for free) and the rank determines the income (15 coins base plus 10 per rank). The jobs themselves give a decent amount of stat-dependent Cleaning (10% CON * 5 points; currently not noticeable as all of the AH's stats are 10).
- The quickest way to cap Cleaning is from the Housekeeping lessons (10 points, stat-affected if AH gets a stat boost in the future). The most efficient way is through the jobs (to save time and money) with occasional paid cleaning. At rank 0, the AH cleans up 3% of the filth; at rank 5 this becomes 50%, which means you can get rid of 5 days of filth in a single 2-hour session.
- Recommended skills to complete the main objective (rank 2) are Cleaning, Refinement and Knowledge:Social as you'll easily get them from the best jobs.
* Cleaning is 10 points from Art of Housekeeping (30 gold), 5 from all three Cleaning jobs and 5 from household cleaning.
* Refinement is 10 points from the Refinement lessons (20 gold) and 2 from the Bathhouse Cleaning job.
* Knowledge:Social is a 4/7 chance gain from the Library (2/7 Scientific, 1/7 Arcane) - all Library gains are 10 points and lessons cost 30 gold - and a guaranteed 2 points from the HLE Cleaning job.
- Body Honing lessons (30 gold) are nice for the 'special' objective (10 Athletics, 10 Endurance, 10 Fitness). Beware the 20 energy drain, a full 10-hour session will instantly exhaust the AH. Swimming (30 gold) is a good alternative as it provides 5 Endurance and 5 Fitness at the standard 10 energy drain, and both of them are required while Athletics is not needed.

Last edited:

Alvir

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2022
Major bug found
- The method for the ending will not sum up ranks as it is not properly called, resulting in either Ast's ending (highest priority in the branch, ending 1002001) or the failed ending (1001001, no rank). Endings 1001003 (fine Assistant, 18+ ranks) and 1001002 (Assistant, 5-17 ranks) will not be shown.
(If you are a player, simply follow the instructions, save the .rpy file and reload the game.)

Minor bugs found
- There's a debugging remnant visible on the upper left of the screen
- Accidentally clicking an empty battle spot/not targeting properly during battle will cause the game to crash when attempting to remove the "dead" target (ValueError: list.remove(x): x not in list)
- Layers sometimes hide/obstruct the main screen due to a missing dissolve (I've been trying to reproduce where; one of them might be the second Friday Ast encounter)
Additions to the mini-guide
- Reminder on how ranks work: rank 0 and 1 get full XP, then XP earned is divided by the rank and rounded (if the rank has a bonus, e.g. MA+1 from Knight, use the base rank, not the final one).
Example: At rank 5 with 18 INT for the MC, Knowledge gains for a 2-hour session from the Library lessons and Librarian job are (3*1.8)/5 = 1.1 point (rounded up from 1.08).
- Gains often are time-dependent (day of the week, calendar hour or both) and will (silently) give different gains. Many of the AH skillgains are base 10 points, meaning 10+10+20+34+40=114 sessions=23 days to cap the skill at 5:0% (50 more sessions, or 10 days, are needed for 5:100% but the only benefit you get is Niwair congratulating you and making you waste 2 hours and 10 energy, lol). Don't forget to have Niwair rank up the character or all excess XP will be lost (if you can't afford it, train something else while you make money).
- The most lucrative and efficient jobs for the active heroine (as of 0.2.3) are Cleaning Staff in the Bathhouse and the HLE Shrine. Cleaning can be increased in many ways (including for free) and the rank determines the income (15 coins base plus 10 per rank). The jobs themselves give a decent amount of stat-dependent Cleaning (10% CON * 5 points; currently not noticeable as all of the AH's stats are 10).
- The quickest way to cap Cleaning is from the Housekeeping lessons (10 points, stat-affected if AH gets a stat boost in the future). The most efficient way is through the jobs (to save time and money) with occasional paid cleaning. At rank 0, the AH cleans up 3% of the filth; at rank 5 this becomes 50%, which means you can get rid of 5 days of filth in a single 2-hour session.
- Recommended skills to complete the main objective (rank 2) are Cleaning, Refinement and Knowledge:Social as you'll easily get them from the best jobs.
* Cleaning is 10 points from Art of Housekeeping (30 gold), 5 from all three Cleaning jobs and 5 from household cleaning.
* Refinement is 10 points from the Refinement lessons (20 gold) and 2 from the Bathhouse Cleaning job.
* Knowledge:Social is a 4/7 chance gain from the Library (2/7 Scientific, 1/7 Arcane) - all Library gains are 10 points and lessons cost 30 gold - and a guaranteed 2 points from the HLE Cleaning job.
- Body Honing lessons (30 gold) are nice for the 'special' objective (10 Athletics, 10 Endurance, 10 Fitness). Beware the 20 energy drain, a full 10-hour session will instantly exhaust the AH. Swimming (30 gold) is a good alternative as it provides 5 Endurance and 5 Fitness at the standard 10 energy drain, and both of them are required while Athletics is not needed.
Thanks for noticing! I've missed it myself ^_^', seems Ive haven't tested it enough (the ending bug)~
I'll hunt for remaining minor bugs to root them out too ;)
+Need to expand my tutorial to include these explanations about lvling skill ranks:giggle:

Oct 26, 2017
Heh, don't worry about it, it's easy to overlook. Odd that no one noticed it ingame though, I can't be the only one insane enough to do full test runs every single time... or maybe I am.

To easily test such things though, just jumping to the scene or setting the calendar to Nov 30 with verbose dumping on should help, I believe Ren'py has a full dump feature and even breakpoints - - so you can do good ol' step-by-step debugging for harder situations.

Reactions: Alvir

Alvir

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2022
Heh, don't worry about it, it's easy to overlook. Odd that no one noticed it ingame though, I can't be the only one insane enough to do full test runs every single time... or maybe I am.

To easily test such things though, just jumping to the scene or setting the calendar to Nov 30 with verbose dumping on should help, I believe Ren'py has a full dump feature and even breakpoints - - so you can do good ol' step-by-step debugging for harder situations.
Thanks;) I've corrected those bugs for the 0.2.5 release :giggle:

Psayne

May 17, 2022
View attachment 2051552

Overview:
Noblesse Oblige is an adult, fantasy-themed trainer/management game in development. You take a role of an aspiring young Mage, that is working in a wizard city-state as a personal teacher of young gifted individuals. This gives you full control over your student which one may use however they like. But beware, as every action may have unforeseen consequences. Will you be a noble wise mentor or lecherous master/mistress? The choice is yours to make...

This game is in the very early stages of development, so updates will be frequent and many game mechanics are not yet implemented or are only partially implemented.​

Thread Updated: 2023-06-13
Release Date: 2023-05-12
Developer: Alvir Studio - - -
Censored: No
Version: 0.2.3
Language: English
Genre:

Future Tags:

Installation:

Changelog:

Developer Notes:

DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux: - MEGA - - WORKUPLOAD -
Mac: - - MEGA - -
Android:
DOWNLOAD*

*This unofficial port/version is not released by the developer, download at your own risk.

View attachment 2230964 View attachment 2230966 View attachment 2230967 View attachment 2230969 View attachment 2051576 View attachment 2164232
View attachment 2096602 View attachment 2096604 View attachment 2230972 View attachment 2230973
Could you please delist the android link (not your mega link)? The person that posted it claimed it was a mixdrop link but it links to mixdrop.ag, a website that tries to pass itself off as mixdrop.ag
This is the biggest red flag one can expect to see when downloading an android app, and I am willing to bet it is malicious in some fashion.

Im curious about how you, the developer, got the link to this unofficial android port. Did you just reupload what the other person posted? If so, I don't trust it and neither should you IMO.

Last edited:

Alvir

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2022
Could you please delist the android link (not your mega link)? The person that posted it claimed it was a mixdrop link but it links to mixdrop.ag, a website that tries to pass itself off as mixdrop.ag
This is the biggest red flag one can expect to see when downloading an android app, and I am willing to bet it is malicious in some fashion.

Im curious about how you, the developer, got the link to this unofficial android port. Did you just reupload what the other person posted? If so, I don't trust it and neither should you IMO.
If it's a shady link I'll remove it, thanks for your keen observation!

Psayne

May 17, 2022
If it's a shady link I'll remove it, thanks for your keen observation!
I've been going through Ghost's history, they've always used this shady site and claimed it's mixdrop. I've found at least one comment about a virus on the website and one comment asking if their antivirus falsely flagged the game as having a Trojan. Given that they advertise their app having a 2nd download location that remain intact after uninstallation, I'm convinced this person is distributing malicious software and stores itself in that location in all of their ports. If you installed it to try it for yourself, I suggest whatever means necessary to ensure your phone is not infected (I'd recommend a factory reset).

Alvir

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2022
I've been going through Ghost's history, they've always used this shady site and claimed it's mixdrop. I've found at least one comment about a virus on the website and one comment asking if their antivirus falsely flagged the game as having a Trojan. Given that they advertise their app having a 2nd download location that remain intact after uninstallation, I'm convinced this person is distributing malicious software and stores itself in that location in all of their ports. If you installed it to try it for yourself, I suggest whatever means necessary to ensure your phone is not infected (I'd recommend a factory reset).
I'll make sure to check all such links myself in the future. Thank you once more!

Mudball007

Sep 3, 2021
I couldn't find anything about it in this thread, but how do the custom portraits work? I don't really understand how the custom portrait folder works and how you add one into the game.

Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't find anything about it in this thread, but how do the custom portraits work? I don't really understand how the custom portrait folder works and how you add one into the game.
The provided shortcuts in CustomPortraits very likely won't work as they are absolute paths.

Use the following relative paths and backup any file you are going to touch so you can safely undo things if things look weird or the game crashes. Save and make backups all the time; think of a RPG where one misstep causes an immediate game over. (Paranoia is a developer's bane but also their best friend.)

Make sure you keep filenames intact or the game will attempt to find the file, fail and crash. Also make sure to keep width and height intact to prevent display issues. Removing transparency will likely look weird but unless you mess with the format, no crashes will happen. Lossless compression isn't a bad idea if you are tight on space, unless you want to keep the original file hashes for some reason (you can gain about 25% storage at the very least; RGBA is overkill, especially for greyscale or low color depth pictures).

- Navigate to ./game/CustomPortraits/templates for templates.
- Navigate to ./game/images/characterPortraits for out-of-battle portraits.
- Navigate to ./game/ui/battleScreen/portraits/allies for battle portraits.

If you still have trouble, you can be sure Alvir will help you! :)

Edit: Removed a "you" that could have been very confusing, sorry about that.

Last edited:

Alvir

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2022
262177 gave a great explanation, here's different walkthrough of how to solve this:

I'll need to make a tutorial for those custom portraits ^_^'

so, there are shortcuts in the *CustomPortraits* folder. They lead to files that you may edit with any image editor, just don't change file names or the size of the images. Quite possible that these shortcuts will not work as they are tied to the *D:\Games\RenPy\Maker Game\game...*, to make them work you can change this part to the place where the game folder is, for example, if your game is situated *C:\Games\Noblesse Oblige*, then *MC_Custom.png* file should be adjuster from -

"D:\Games\RenPy\Maker Game\game\images\characterPortraits\MC_Custom.png"

to:

"C:\Games\Noblesse Oblige\game\images\characterPortraits\MC_Custom.png"

after that, you may edit files that the shortcut leads to by right-clicking a shortcut and opening it with any image editing software!
If you have any problems, do write me in private messages and I'll help you stepby step ^_^

Reactions: Mudball007

Mudball007

Sep 3, 2021
Thanks for the help 262177 and Alvir! Was able to get the file path change to work, working on editing the images now.

Ghost''

Mar 17, 2021
Noblesse Oblige [v0.2.4] Unofficial Android Port

- 200mb

My Android Ports have a 2nd Persistent save location. So, even if you uninstall the game, the saves will remain Intact.

Saves location: Storage/0011/Game-name

You can also join my discord server for more and support me.

You can also join 0011 discord server

If you like my works please support me.

Android Port Updated..

Oct 26, 2017
Quick bug report for the June release. Sorry if any of the following have already been fixed in the July one!

- Force Martial Arts/Agile Martial Arts and Persuasion gains don't scale with Suzumi's stats (this has become an issue now that potions are a thing, especially tier 3 ones; unless it's intentional, might want to change the generic ActiveHeroine.gain() functions to the STB variants as you've defined both but the latter is unused and the former is only used for the MC)
- Acting promotion is permanently missable if Suzumi learns acting from lessons and hits Acting 2+ before working in the theatre as cleaning staff after gaining her first Acting level (just change the check to >0)
- NPCs will bring up the option of asking for the Master's name even if the MC already knows it (this one is an easy fix)
- Saving before choosing between Story/Sandbox resets the scene on load (essentially, you have to go through character creation again with default settings)
- The protégées' last like/dislike (their dream) is implemented but unused (this is in case players have been trying to discuss thousands of times and think they're unlucky, it's just not rollable)
- It's possible for players to royally screw up Ast's request if they've been attending LoS lessons during the first week as they don't know about the goals at this point (should also only be done on a Sunday for maximum benefits; keeping this as spoilers). Getting enough gold to increase either of the three disqualifying skills this early is very possible without cheating or starting out with massive Knowledge/MA or the Wealthy trait.
- "Develop Refinement" has an incorrect description (no Persuasion gain and Art is commented out for now)
- "MC" reference in Ast's dialogue instead of the MC's name (second encounter, I believe)
- The choice to offer a Crimson Buriak to the Young Cook only shows up if the player has exactly one:
Python:
"Here, I have one Buriak for you." if [crimsonBuriak, 1] in MC_inv.inv:
And a couple suggestions:
- Maybe use for "random secrets to unlock" so this can gradually remove the ones that are unlocked. The balancing issue I see here is that would allow a player to learn everything about their protégée in (literally) 5 days of double discussion, so it's up to you. It's quite possible to be left with unknown "secrets" by day 90 with enough misfortune, even by double-discussing every single day. Limiting discussion to once per day is another option, but that causes love to go up more slowly if that's an issue. (My Suzumi is always love and joy-capped by day 15 even with masturbation denial, I'm too much of a softy.)
- Because of the early LoS training issue for Ast's request destroying the entire Ast route, maybe add a subtle and mysterious red "You have an eerie feeling about this, maybe you should wait a bit..." warning until Ast offers her request. (The player is unlikely to have a lot of playtime at this point, but it might still be frustrating to reroll - or even only notice it when it's too late!)
- "No longer possible..." if a quest fails preconditions (thinking of Ast's request here) so a player can quickly tell if they have to reroll or reload a save (many of us VN addicts/writers fully read everything, but it's still possible to forget even at full paranoia)
- The above warning (Suzumi ends up as a failed Assistant) is technically doable on day 85-ish as well if the player still has zero to all skills somehow by then (I recall players asking how to train skills and wonder how far they were when they first noticed they kind of forgot to do something important that's mentioned in the tutorial) but that's a bit of a buzzkill and can be tricky to code if you change things later. I mean, knowing you blew it five days before it ends saves time, but it also ruins hope and kills the adrenaline rush from the last day.

Confess, folks, how many of you were insane enough to go through the story (or worse, sandbox) with 0:100% (without any actual reason for it, like doing it for the challenging aspect of earning way less gold)? :D

Jokes aside, keep up the good work, Alvir. It's always a nice surprise to see the unexpected progress and nifty features on this little gem with every update!

Last edited:
  • Star-struck

Alvir

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2022
Quick bug report for the June release. Sorry if any of the following have already been fixed in the July one!

- Force Martial Arts/Agile Martial Arts and Persuasion gains don't scale with Suzumi's stats (this has become an issue now that potions are a thing, especially tier 3 ones; unless it's intentional, might want to change the generic ActiveHeroine.gain() functions to the STB variants as you've defined both but the latter is unused and the former is only used for the MC)
- Acting promotion is permanently missable if Suzumi learns acting from lessons and hits Acting 2+ before working in the theatre as cleaning staff after gaining her first Acting level (just change the check to >0)
- NPCs will bring up the option of asking for the Master's name even if the MC already knows it (this one is an easy fix)
- Saving before choosing between Story/Sandbox resets the scene on load (essentially, you have to go through character creation again with default settings)
- The protégées' last like/dislike (their dream) is implemented but unused (this is in case players have been trying to discuss thousands of times and think they're unlucky, it's just not rollable)
- It's possible for players to royally screw up Ast's request if they've been attending LoS lessons during the first week as they don't know about the goals at this point (should also only be done on a Sunday for maximum benefits; keeping this as spoilers). Getting enough gold to increase either of the three disqualifying skills this early is very possible without cheating or starting out with massive Knowledge/MA or the Wealthy trait.
- "Develop Refinement" has an incorrect description (no Persuasion gain and Art is commented out for now)
- "MC" reference in Ast's dialogue instead of the MC's name (second encounter, I believe)
- The choice to offer a Crimson Buriak to the Young Cook only shows up if the player has exactly one:
Python:
"Here, I have one Buriak for you." if [crimsonBuriak, 1] in MC_inv.inv:
And a couple suggestions:
- Maybe use for "random secrets to unlock" so this can gradually remove the ones that are unlocked. The balancing issue I see here is that would allow a player to learn everything about their protégée in (literally) 5 days of double discussion, so it's up to you. It's quite possible to be left with unknown "secrets" by day 90 with enough misfortune, even by double-discussing every single day. Limiting discussion to once per day is another option, but that causes love to go up more slowly if that's an issue. (My Suzumi is always love and joy-capped by day 15 even with masturbation denial, I'm too much of a softy.)
- Because of the early LoS training issue for Ast's request destroying the entire Ast route, maybe add a subtle and mysterious red "You have an eerie feeling about this, maybe you should wait a bit..." warning until Ast offers her request. (The player is unlikely to have a lot of playtime at this point, but it might still be frustrating to reroll - or even only notice it when it's too late!)
- "No longer possible..." if a quest fails preconditions (thinking of Ast's request here) so a player can quickly tell if they have to reroll or reload a save (many of us VN addicts/writers fully read everything, but it's still possible to forget even at full paranoia)
- The above warning (Suzumi ends up as a failed Assistant) is technically doable on day 85-ish as well if the player still has zero to all skills somehow by then (I recall players asking how to train skills and wonder how far they were when they first noticed they kind of forgot to do something important that's mentioned in the tutorial) but that's a bit of a buzzkill and can be tricky to code if you change things later. I mean, knowing you blew it five days before it ends saves time, but it also ruins hope and kills the adrenaline rush from the last day.

Confess, folks, how many of you were insane enough to go through the story (or worse, sandbox) with 0:100% (without any actual reason for it, like doing it for the challenging aspect of earning way less gold)? :D

Jokes aside, keep up the good work, Alvir. It's always a nice surprise to see the unexpected progress and nifty features on this little gem with every update!
WoW... Just wow! that is a great in-depth analysis O_O
I'll get these issues resolved in the 0.2.6 update then ^_^ (I've made some progress on it already~)
Those suggestions are all spot on, so I'll think about how to implement them in the most interesting way ;)

About that Ast request and LoS, I'll probably introduce some evil, or cruel activity to break her willpower, thus resolving the issue, but that idea with red mysterious text is just great, I'll implement it too as it will make players wonder about that warning ^_^
If you have any other suggestions I would be glad to hear them:giggle:
Now I'll hunt all those pesky bugs *Terminator soundtrack initiated*... :geek:

PS. Soon that masturbation denial will have some interesting effects~

Reactions: Killer_Looks
4.10 star(s) 8 Votes