fireclaws10

Jan 21, 2019
Personally fundamentally disagree with the way AI art is done right now. The software you're using trained on a bunch of artists without permission, in order to replicate their styles for profit. It's entirely unethical.

You're going to make the game anyway, so at least make the art decent. The art is superficially good, but it's going to be really weird playing a game where everyone has messed up hands, or we never see them. Try and get an artist to correct them or learn if you can. A lot of the proportions are messed up compared to the realistic style that's been generated, and that's not for me.

If you want to reply to me trying to convince or argue with me about AI art, don't bother, i've heard it all before.

Earliestbird

Game Developer
Sep 5, 2020
Whew I'm getting bombarded by people who are upset about AI art. Which I don't really understand; if you don't like something, and you know you don't like it, then don't interact with it. I personally am not a fan of anime art, so I'm not gonna start playing those games and then leave a bad review when it turns out to be a bad time.

Breeding is not your cup of tea? Or first person POV? Or maybe AI art? I can respect all of that. But I can't respect people who shit on other people's preferences just to put themselves on a moral highground. People who knew ahead of time what they'd be getting into and still decided to play, and then left a negative review for a free game. It's crazy.

As for the nonsensical argument that AI art is "stealing"... bitch please, you're on a website that pirates more games than a two-chromosome pelican in a fish market. If there's any place on the internet that understands and loathes the bullshittery that is copyright, it's here.

And even all of that aside (which alone should already be enough to stop people complaining about AI), artificial intelligence is only stealing if you think that a student learning to become an artist using references is stealing - which it is not. If you actually took the time and looked into how Stable Diffusion functions, you'd know it's trained like a human being is trained. Humans learn that a dog is a furry creature with four legs because they encounter dogs in their lives, they see them, including art made by other artists and depictions of them, and eventually they can replicate them on paper. The exact same happens with SD. And then, like humans, AI draws a completely new picture from nothing but noise of the concept they have learned. So if you call AI learning "stealing", you should be calling your second grade art teacher a thief because they used a Picasso piece in their lessons, and the students who get inspired by that art and incorporate it into their own style (which happens all the time) should also be branded thieves.

But that doesn't happen. Reasonable people don't do that. The only people who are upset about the ethics of AI art are those who cannot put down their personal selfish grievances, scared shitless that the constantly rolling wheel of progress will crush them beneath the weight. This is how technological advancement worked since the inception of time. Some people will adapt. Some will be left behind unfortunately, and yeah it sucks to see it happen to friends or people close to you. But AI creating visual and audio-based content/art opens a thousand times more doors than it closes. With easy to access and copyright-free art, aspiring software and game developers living in poverty can actually work toward their dreams without having to pay tens of thousands of dollars for art assets. Authors can get free and good-looking covers for their books. And the list goes on.

Bottom line is, legally AI art is allowed to exist in the public domain - including prompts based on artists. It's an awesome, free, and legal tool for the common man. And for those who worry about artists' livelihood, there will always remain a foothold for human art, because images generated by AI cannot have copyright, and many artists will keep getting hired just for that reason. These two things can coexist.

//rant over

Earliestbird

Game Developer
Sep 5, 2020
Also about the review that says the game forces you along a single path... I literally mention that in the dev notes. It's even highlighted. You should know before you start playing the story is not supposed to be a sandbox with different routes, but more like a novel where the author leads you on a pre-determined narrative. It's not a sandbox. Again, either this person just downloaded something with a blindfold, or he knowingly exposed himself to content he knew he wasn't going to enjoy just to shit on it.

It's frustrating to see reviews like this. What am I supposed to do with them? Constructive criticism is awesome and many of you have given me tangible things that I can improve upon (concrete things you don't like in the story, areas that could be improved, etc)... but these people kinda take the wind out of my sails with their absurd takes.

PyoT

Sep 3, 2020
Are you new to the Internet or something ... ? Not saying you are supposed to be happy about it, but being thin-skinned about this sorta stuff is pointless.

I'm also fairly sure the "single path" stuff refers to this player feeling like the game has to be played in a certain way, not about the narration. Probably somebody frustrated with the "survival" mechanics and feeling that a specific approach to playing is required that they don't like.

Whether you agree or not at least they sat down and articulated what bothered them. If you don't see that as constructive then at least ignore it.

Earliestbird

Game Developer
Sep 5, 2020
Are you new to the Internet or something ... ? Not saying you are supposed to be happy about it, but being thin-skinned about this sorta stuff is pointless.
Nah been on the internet enough, so that's why I will call out bullshit when I see it. Not gonna roll over and silently take it just because that's what expected of creators.

I'm also fairly sure the "single path" stuff refers to this player feeling like the game has to be played in a certain way, not about the narration. Probably somebody frustrated with the "survival" mechanics and feeling that a specific approach to playing is required that they don't like.

Whether you agree or not at least they sat down and articulated what bothered them. If you don't see that as constructive then at least ignore it.
The review was just too vague to really know what they meant without actually going into specfics, and therefore impossible for me to learn from it (that's why you have to use words like fairly sure and probably). To me at first glance it just looks like someone who wanted to play a sandbox, but I could be wrong of course. And the accusatory tone doesn't help matters... the guy literally says I developed the game to make players ragequit (again without going into specifics as to what the actual issue is), which is a disgusting and dishonest way to review any free product.

Without any actual concrete point, it just looks like he's someone who stumbled into a sushi restaurant and started complaining to the manager that he doesn't like sushi.

__neronero

Jan 23, 2021
Like it or not, you've created a lightning rod where some people will come to vent, to steel man their own beliefs or to safeguard their insecurities.

Accept that for what it is and be more picky about what you spend your energy on. Bad reviews? So what! If they don't contain any valuable feedback, it's better to just ignore them and keep moving forward.

Teaching common decency the average user of this site may seem like the right thing to do, but it's an impossibly enormous task. And I guarantee it'll eat away at your enthousiasm for this project.

Crel

Jun 5, 2018
Fun game, played it twice now, on this patch and one several iterations back. Been enjoying it! I've no knowledge of nor stance on the ethics of the whole ai-generation stuff, but it's legal so it doesn't seem like a discussion this forum is suited for; haters should fuck off.

Tangent aside, like the game but have a question: is the days passed counter at the temple supposed to freeze at 31?

Last edited:

Earliestbird

Game Developer
Sep 5, 2020
Fun game, played it twice now, on this patch and one several iterations back. Been enjoying it! I've no knowledge of nor stance on the ethics of the whole ai-generation stuff, but it's legal so it doesn't seem like a discussion this forum is suited for: haters should fuck off.

Tangent aside, like the game but have a question: is the days passed counter at the temple supposed to freeze at 31?
Yep! Right now there are 3 events in the temple... but I already have some material for the future 1673300132903.png

random2141

Sep 25, 2018
Download Renpy from the official site, drop the whole game into the Renpy folder, open Renpy and it should show up as a project. you can launch it from there and play like normal
Usually that's true. However, this game crashes when launched that way, hence, not working for mac

Earliestbird

Game Developer
Sep 5, 2020
Will she be a main LI?
No, the girls in the temple tend to be anonymous and are generally referred to as the 'sisters'. But like all events in the temple it should be repeatable.

Three main love interests (all residents) are planned and they will need lots of work to be fleshed out. You can see them on the game's new banner - Raven, D'Alena, and Mel.

Reactions: wiseold6996

DannyLucifer

Jul 5, 2018
I am more interested in the prompts the dev used for the landscape shots cus DAMN!
Can you please reveal your secret master dev-san?

faradhii

Sep 8, 2019
Enjoyed the game! I was hesitant to play and ALMOST stopped right at the beginning, glad I pressed on. I went full arcane (cause, magic....) and I haven't had any real issues with combat even with a paltry 1 CH (I wish I had gotten an extra 2 CH instead of 2 Phys if that were possible). Honestly I don't really "get" the combat... I've just been hitting the largest numbers, they turn from red to blue, but I still take a fair pounding. Hasn't been an issue. Couple of questions:

1) I saw some mention of a giant bird and don't remember seeing it.

2) Am I done after I chase off
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

3) What do you mean "hidden DC 50 check for the tower? I bought everything just cause essence isn't an issue and I wanted to see if the tower would vanish, but it didn't and still sells the same old crap.

4) Are there only 2 werewolves in the explore old (forget the city name).

5) What is the point of the void witch? trading 10 HP for 5 shields or 10 shields for 12 HP (or whatever the ratio is) plus essence cost doesn't seem efficient, or am I missing something?

6) How do skills compare to stats? IE: I have something that gives, like, +35 wild vs. something that gives +1 CH. Smelting shows +35 Wild much more valuable, but I'd assume +1CH is more useful. Likewise the +20 max HP thing...

Thanks for any time and, again, was fairly impressed and looking forward to actually getting with one of the main girls!

Deleted member 2553135

Jul 3, 2020
3) What do you mean "hidden DC 50 check for the tower? I bought everything just cause essence isn't an issue and I wanted to see if the tower would vanish, but it didn't and still sells the same old crap.
If you have greater than 50 magnetic points, then that will trigger the hidden event.

Reactions: faradhii

trumpthatbitch

Jun 23, 2017
Whew I'm getting bombarded by people who are upset about AI art. Which I don't really understand; if you don't like something, and you know you don't like it, then don't interact with it. I personally am not a fan of anime art, so I'm not gonna start playing those games and then leave a bad review when it turns out to be a bad time.

Breeding is not your cup of tea? Or first person POV? Or maybe AI art? I can respect all of that. But I can't respect people who shit on other people's preferences just to put themselves on a moral highground. People who knew ahead of time what they'd be getting into and still decided to play, and then left a negative review for a free game. It's crazy.

As for the nonsensical argument that AI art is "stealing"... bitch please, you're on a website that pirates more games than a two-chromosome pelican in a fish market. If there's any place on the internet that understands and loathes the bullshittery that is copyright, it's here.

And even all of that aside (which alone should already be enough to stop people complaining about AI), artificial intelligence is only stealing if you think that a student learning to become an artist using references is stealing - which it is not. If you actually took the time and looked into how Stable Diffusion functions, you'd know it's trained like a human being is trained. Humans learn that a dog is a furry creature with four legs because they encounter dogs in their lives, they see them, including art made by other artists and depictions of them, and eventually they can replicate them on paper. The exact same happens with SD. And then, like humans, AI draws a completely new picture from nothing but noise of the concept they have learned. So if you call AI learning "stealing", you should be calling your second grade art teacher a thief because they used a Picasso piece in their lessons, and the students who get inspired by that art and incorporate it into their own style (which happens all the time) should also be branded thieves.

But that doesn't happen. Reasonable people don't do that. The only people who are upset about the ethics of AI art are those who cannot put down their personal selfish grievances, scared shitless that the constantly rolling wheel of progress will crush them beneath the weight. This is how technological advancement worked since the inception of time. Some people will adapt. Some will be left behind unfortunately, and yeah it sucks to see it happen to friends or people close to you. But AI creating visual and audio-based content/art opens a thousand times more doors than it closes. With easy to access and copyright-free art, aspiring software and game developers living in poverty can actually work toward their dreams without having to pay tens of thousands of dollars for art assets. Authors can get free and good-looking covers for their books. And the list goes on.

Bottom line is, legally AI art is allowed to exist in the public domain - including prompts based on artists. It's an awesome, free, and legal tool for the common man. And for those who worry about artists' livelihood, there will always remain a foothold for human art, because images generated by AI cannot have copyright, and many artists will keep getting hired just for that reason. These two things can coexist.

//rant over
I think you sort of misinterpret the review process or sort of what is a normal review process. While I agree the review process for f95 is a mess but that mainly is a mod problem where they routinely leave low-effort reviews on the site and capriciously delete well-thought-out reviews which honestly is a big reason I barely post long reviews anymore and many others have as well. It just isn't worth the time to post a well-written review when over half are deleted for generic reasons.

But reading your post you sort of seem to be confused about the purpose of a review. The review isn't meant for the dev they aren't reviewing it to provide constructive feedback back to you. They are reviewing it based on their own experience and relaying that back to other users.

Or at least that is how I used to write reviews if the dev could take constructive feedback from it that was a bonus but that is not what the review was written in mind for.

4.10 star(s) 36 Votes