ikkabod

Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
If the purpose of the patreon isn't to make money, why would you be this upset to see a more recent release up?

I've been following this story for about a year and a half now, since it was up on tfgame. I've supported a few writers over the years, but I've never seen patreon as a, "I'm only supporting you for fresher content", it was always as a way to support someone to continue writing.

Ok, so a statement like that makes me feel like you're fundamentally misunderstanding my point. Look at it this way: I'm making 575 with a part time job, if I quit that job in favor of working on the game, i will be at -575 per month. The support for the game is currently at 141, which would amount to a net loss of -434. So I wouldn't be "making" money, it's not my desire to profit immensely from this game, I just want to keep my finances balanced as they already are. In other words, I can't afford to lose money working on the game, you know what I mean?

I'm not sure what you mean by fresher content, I'm just talking about speed of development, nothing more. Larger and more frequent updates, that's the only reason my patreon exists. Talking about TFgames, check the forums and see how long and hard I fought against exclusivity and the idea of early access. I argued that (paraphrasing here) - Early access isn't really a reward, you don't actually get anything extra, but rather you just deprive everyone else, artificially creating a deficit. - It's all there in black and white on the discussion thread.

To me, a website like f95 isn't a place to slap writers in the face and get beyond a paywall, it's just another place to get exposure for an artist and hopefully more people will choose to support them. But I'm not a content creator and I can't fully know what this must feel like for you.
If you saw my first message on this thread, I was fully in agreement with that sentiment.

But as a longtime reader, this particular piece has always been way back in the background due only to it's pacing. You do a decent job of writing, and I'm always glad to see it continued but four months for only >10k word spread out over three paths is pretty meager. And strictly speaking, the internet is a large host to a large number of similar content creators and a lot of casual readers don't think about outside circumstances. Your work and progress will often be taken at face-value without noting your work or other situations pressing you for time.
That's right, I agree 100% with everything you said here. You have successfully identified the problem, the speed of development needs to be drastically improved. The question is, how do we solve the problem? It's something I've been working on for a few years now, and the only thing that has shown any signs of success is an early access model patreon account. I'm not thrilled about it, but it is what it is. On that note, a similar effect is happening here... It's the internet, so these releases will undoubtedly be leaked and there isn't much I can do about it. All I can do is continue the course and we'll see what happens, but know this, I will continue to put out these small releases regardless, so at least there's that.

q87g

Oct 4, 2017
Thought I should inform that 0.2.4 is out now, so a nice surprise to see 0.2.8 here. Patreon is on version 0.3.0 now.

Tataro

Mar 27, 2018
I decided to support you on Patreon. But I will say what others have said, the development speed is beyond slow. I fail to understand how one can spend an entire month on a few thousand words unless he's in a gulag writing on his own skin with razor blades.

Your game is high quality. Its a great premise with the ability to he an alfa and not a doormat which is why I greatly enjoy it. But the tempo and size of updates is just too slow. You of course are free to develop the game at your own leisure and pleasure but you have to understand the difference between updates you give out and ones someone like dark cookie or icstor gives out. Or in case of text games updates given out by Newlife or Pregmod last of which is free to all and Newlife making thousands of dollars for a text game that is way simpler than yours. Step it up. Throw out a few 50k updates and see what happens to your game.

Atlan

May 18, 2018
Does anyone know how to get the scene where you hotdog Alan?
step by step if possible

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
This Patreon is disgusting. 6 months early access compared to the public version? A scam is what this is.

I'll be happy to leak this game.

If thats the difference in content from 6 months.... I don't know if this will ever get finished lol. Kind of unfortunate since its a really good story.

Reactions: VainFire

Ankosh

Aug 15, 2016
Or in case of text games updates given out by Newlife or Pregmod last of which is free to all
(( Pregmod )) Sorry what is this i tried to search for it but it didnt work for me can you plz share the full name or link to it ??

poiloil

Feb 25, 2018
I don't understand the responses to this forum, the developer has made it clear (to me, at least) the reason why the releases are as they are.

mattrixatp

Apr 29, 2017
Please do share, because to the rest of humanity versioning works like this: 1.2.3 where 1 is major (complete) release, 2 is new feature(s), 3 is enhancement or bug fixing. What exactly is the new feature to go from 0.2.8 to 0.3.2? And for 6 months? Obviously he can do whatever he wants and we are not forced to subscribe. That's not the point I'm making, nor am I complaining. There are plenty of games to occupy me. I'm just interested to see the reasons.

Reactions: m1piffles

poiloil

Feb 25, 2018
Is that your issue though? the way the versions are released?

The developer has stated several times that they simply don't have the time to continuously release large updates, they have other stuff to do. The way I see it, the small updates are a way to give people content, however much it may be. The other option would be to delay any kind of release, which is what they're doing. Delaying their public releases so that we can get significant updates in content after a longer period of time, instead of small 1200 word updates every month or so.

I may be misunderstanding the situation, and for that I apologise, it just seems to me that there is a method to this madness.

3.80 star(s) 9 Votes