3.60 star(s) 49 Votes

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
What would you guys say if I told you I was working on a Renpy implementation of the core On Edge game mechanics?

And that I had some ideas on how to take it from there into a new game that is "inspired" by the abandoned On Edge game?

1711803049850.jpeg

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
What are you going to do for the art? Use the existing assets?
I am using the ripped art for the prototype, but would never release something that used art wihtout permission. That would be a bit too much "inspiration" haha.

I'll probably get started with some placeholders AI art, and look at getting a 2d artist on commission once things get moving.

sls8181

Sep 21, 2020
I dunno, the RPGM and pixel stuff was part of the charm for me... I am unsure if a renpy implementation would be better.
Maybe something in the line of this https://f95zone.to/threads/the-manager-serves-all-final-okeyutei.115478/ would be for the best.
Meaning keeping the 2d pixel art, but replacing the movements with mouse clicks at the dedicated areas while keeping some kind of animation to keep the initial pacing.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I dunno, the RPGM and pixel stuff was part of the charm for me... I am unsure if a renpy implementation would be better.
Maybe something in the line of this https://f95zone.to/threads/the-manager-serves-all-final-okeyutei.115478/ would be for the best.
Meaning keeping the 2d pixel art, but replacing the movements with mouse clicks at the dedicated areas while keeping some kind of animation to keep the initial pacing.
I've decompiled and looked at the source code of the On Edge game... and (this is an assumption on my part without confirmation from the dev) I suspect a large part of the reason the project was abandoned was the sheer complexity of trying to implement any further changes to the mini-game or other game systems in the RPGM dev environment.

RPGM is a real nightmare of a platform to work in if you try and extend it beyond the basic "old school jrpg" gameplay, with separate blobs of javascript code scattered around through event handlers, object properties and other loaded source files, and everything has to be done within a closed source "editor" app that is frankly awful to use.

I'm reasonably competent with renpy already and am learning more complex stuff as I work on this project. Renpy is not ideal for a UI event driven minigame, and actually something developed in unity or godot would probably work even better for that part. But renpy has two major benefits: it is already familiar to me from my previous experiments and the work I've done helping with the various other games I'm involved with, and it is also clearly one of the best available tools for the story scenes of the game, with it's handling of dialogue, rollback, and having all the expected features of a VN etc.

I'm pretty confident I can get the gameplay and story aspects of the project done well. Art is my current weak point, so that is what will be outsourced.

Last edited:

Rakasob

Apr 13, 2019
What would you guys say if I told you I was working on a Renpy implementation of the core On Edge game mechanics?

And that I had some ideas on how to take it from there into a new game that is "inspired" by the abandoned On Edge game?

View attachment 3491677
Depends, is the main heroine going to be as busty as this one?
Is it a slow-burn corruption game?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
1606186430258.jpg

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Depends, is the main heroine going to be as busty as this one?
Is it a slow-burn corruption game?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Absolutely, slow burn corruption of a ripe, boobalicious, naive, reluctant, uptight girl is 120% my jam. Reasonably complex / interesting tactical card gameplay that fits with the storyline -> increases the "my jamosity" to 150%. (ALERT! BONER INCOMING!)

Pregger stuff is not a fetish of mine but I won't rule it out completely. Might make sense as a endgame thing, as I guess it fits as the ultimate end of a corruption path.

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Today I wrote another two scenes in the intro sequence.
Yesterday I spent some more time working on the milking minigame. Making progress and while it doesn't look beautiful yet, the interactions of the rules are getting closer - red/gold/blue hearts bar, red and blue progress bars are working. Next is the mana (pink bar and hearts) system.
I have also put together the image parts of the heroine ripped from the game using a renpy layered image and it seems to work fine, including the animations.

Should I start a game dev thread for this? What do you think?

BABaracus

Feb 2, 2018
Yesterday I spent some more time working on the milking minigame. Making progress and while it doesn't look beautiful yet, the interactions of the rules are getting closer - red/gold/blue hearts bar, red and blue progress bars are working. Next is the mana (pink bar and hearts) system.
I have also put together the image parts of the heroine ripped from the game using a renpy layered image and it seems to work fine, including the animations.

totally, thanks for your dedication!

Dupson

Dec 15, 2018

yes please

DicksInSpace

Jul 8, 2017

If you got some proof of concept go for it.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Got all the basic UI components and the code behind them to implement game logic and crude ui animations.
Also made some quick placeholder art...
Please ignore the Renpy default frames/fonts/etc. For now I am focusing on de-riskng by implementing the code.
Pretty UI artwork will come later once the game systems are working how I want.

This shit is getting real....

1712235084377.png

3.60 star(s) 49 Votes