VN Ren'Py Abandoned Our Fate - A new family [v0.15 SE] [CedSense]

4.60 star(s) 83 Votes

Stakos

Jun 24, 2017
@Stakos
I understand that the error that happens to some people is really annoying.
I'm a Mod on Ced's discord server and I know he has spent a lot of time trying to figure out what could cause this error, but no luck so far. Some other people who know Ren'py, had no solution to the problem either. Searching the net for the possible cause of the error yielded nothing.
So it is not like he haven't tried to solve the problem. Just wanted to make that clear :)
Thanks for clearing that up and for taking the time to reply. I'm used to this kind of mistakes and I may complain but I can understand. What I don't understand is when people are being absolute, which makes them sound rude. Anyway thanks again. I guess I'll have to start the game from scratch. Let's hope it'll be the last time.

Reactions: netsrac

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
I got an error loading my save but the ignore option just let me skip it and continue playing, seemingly without issues.

fulcrum

Engaged Member
Feb 2, 2018
@Stakos
I understand that the error that happens to some people is really annoying.
I'm a Mod on Ced's discord server and I know he has spent a lot of time trying to figure out what could cause this error, but no luck so far. Some other people who know Ren'py, had no solution to the problem either. Searching the net for the possible cause of the error yielded nothing.
So it is not like he haven't tried to solve the problem. Just wanted to make that clear :)
eval should look for a certain variable's value, but the variable seems to not be present in some circumstances like mine. its trying to check for something called E and i have a couple letters of ascii salad (illegible moon runes) - looks like obfuscation/encoding failed there.
The scene in question is on utter domination path (absolute insecure) when the mayor's daughter is hanging off MCs neck and mc's daughter is seeing this.

@CedSense I could attach my savegame so you can see and trace the error.

CedSense

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
eval should look for a certain variable's value, but the variable seems to not be present in some circumstances like mine. its trying to check for something called E and i have a couple letters of ascii salad (illegible moon runes) - looks like obfuscation/encoding failed there.
The scene in question is on utter domination path (absolute insecure) when the mayor's daughter is hanging off MCs neck and mc's daughter is seeing this.

@CedSense I could attach my savegame so you can see and trace the error.
I think I know where it's coming from, it's when you play the corruption path, but haven't accepted the mayor's daughter 'proposition' right? If it's that, it's been corrected on the last version of the game I put out today! But the error log could be nice for sure! Thanks a lot!

Edit: After reading again, yes I would love to have the savegame because it's not what I thought it was, or the error log, or both :D

SlimeDroid

Feb 27, 2018
Not sure if it's a bug but when offering a beer or soda to your daughter it showed up as "Where do you want to cum?" I saved after and reloaded and it came back normal.

I still really enjoy the slow build up though! Like everyone else I can't be mean to the daughter :)

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jan 27, 2017
1. D domination & rejected mayor (i think?)
2. rejected the mayo D

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
just add another = after the 1st one, it's a comparison not an equation
if path == -1:

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
Very disappointed about Susan being so unceremoniously written out of the game, I liked her more than the daughter and was hoping she would stay involved. Her suddenly having some kind of meltdown even if you are nice to her throughout the game and suddenly breaking up with you (or the MC dumping her because she shouldn't "suffer more" in the white knight route) didn't feel believable at all. It comes off as blatant "well, there'll be sex scenes with the daughter soon, so we don't need her for filler anymore." Lame.

Edit: The more I think about this the more it irks me. The writing of the phone call with Susan and the subsequent confrontation in the kitchen is completely inconsistent with the story up to that point. Susan is pissed at the MC for not being able to go to dinner with her and portrays it like this is a common occurrence ("Wait... don't tell me what is it this time... You're too busy with work or...") when in fact this is the first time the MC doesn't have time for her in the entire game.

It's actually Susan who is consistently turning the MC down when he asks her to go to dinner/to the vacation thing because she has to work or see her aunt or whatever she says to be conveniently absent so you can spend alone time with your blonde waifu. I'm not saying women can't be irrational but this just feels like bad writing.

White Knight path: When she comes to the house she is suddenly super into the MC again ("You have always been so tender, caring... From the start.. I really felt blessed and together...") and wants the relationship to continue. Weird mood swing, but okay, that happens. The real problem here is the MC's reaction. After the player was given the option to express that they are genuinely in love with Susan at multiple points in the game, suddenly "It's so complicated..."

"she still wants to try. But... I just can't.."
"I can't make Susan suffer more... I need to do the right thing here..."
"I wish I had it in me... To fight for us but... Things have changed and..."

Unless the MC's feelings literally changed in like the last five minutes, this completely invalidates choices the player has made and feelings the MC has expressed throughout the game. Also this apparent change of heart is not communicated to the player via inner dialogue or anything right up until this moment.

Sociopath path: While the White Knight version is bad, this is just embarrassing. Susan breaks up with the MC, offering nothing but this gem of a line: "I was very fortunate to meet you MC... I just wished... It doesn't matter now... Let's just... Not be together ok!" The MC mechanically agrees because "Susan can't be part of my future, it's never going to work..." Okay then.

I'm really baffled by the lack of quality in the writing of these scenes. The rest of the game isn't even remotely like this. It's incredibly lazy or rushed and it makes no sense. If you really wanted to write Susan out of the game you should have come up with a more plausible scenario to make it happen and put some effort into writing believable dialogue. Also why give the player choices throughout the game like "Do you love Susan? Yes/No" when it makes absolutely no difference because she leaves you/you dump her either way?

I've rambled on long enough, but this really pissed me off. Bring back Susan ;(

Endrju

Shadows of the Past
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 20, 2017
how the FUCK it could end like that, doesnt this dev have any heart? FUCK i love it. I just thought it will never end, im wanting for more

fulcrum

Engaged Member
Feb 2, 2018
While i agree with the general sentiment, I couldnt care less for her. Right from the beginning she appeared to be a distraction and annoyed me with her self absorbed yammering.
And you're incorrect, she wanted to spend time in the beginning when MC drives down to see D.

Endrju

Shadows of the Past
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 20, 2017
While i agree with the general sentiment, I couldnt care less for her. Right from the beginning she appeared to be a distraction and annoyed me with her self absorbed yammering.
And you're incorrect, she wanted to spend time in the beginning when MC drives down to see D.
after her burst it was easy for me to let her go, after all we know who will end with MC at the end so why bother with Susan

Reactions: Trojaner

rick87

Jul 16, 2017
Very disappointed about Susan being so unceremoniously written out of the game, I liked her more than the daughter and was hoping she would stay involved. Her suddenly having some kind of meltdown even if you are nice to her throughout the game and suddenly breaking up with you (or the MC dumping her because she shouldn't "suffer more" in the white knight route) didn't feel believable at all. It comes off as blatant "well, there'll be sex scenes with the daughter soon, so we don't need her for filler anymore." Lame.

Edit: The more I think about this the more it irks me. The writing of the phone call with Susan and the subsequent confrontation in the kitchen is completely inconsistent with the story up to that point. Susan is pissed at the MC for not being able to go to dinner with her and portrays it like this is a common occurrence ("Wait... don't tell me what is it this time... You're too busy with work or...") when in fact this is the first time the MC doesn't have time for her in the entire game.

It's actually Susan who is consistently turning the MC down when he asks her to go to dinner/to the vacation thing because she has to work or see her aunt or whatever she says to be conveniently absent so you can spend alone time with your blonde waifu. I'm not saying women can't be irrational but this just feels like bad writing.

White Knight path: When she comes to the house she is suddenly super into the MC again ("You have always been so tender, caring... From the start.. I really felt blessed and together...") and wants the relationship to continue. Weird mood swing, but okay, that happens. The real problem here is the MC's reaction. After the player was given the option to express that they are genuinely in love with Susan at multiple points in the game, suddenly "It's so complicated..."

"she still wants to try. But... I just can't.."
"I can't make Susan suffer more... I need to do the right thing here..."
"I wish I had it in me... To fight for us but... Things have changed and..."

Unless the MC's feelings literally changed in like the last five minutes, this completely invalidates choices the player has made and feelings the MC has expressed throughout the game. Also this apparent change of heart is not communicated to the player via inner dialogue or anything right up until this moment.

Sociopath path: While the White Knight version is bad, this is just embarrassing. Susan breaks up with the MC, offering nothing but this gem of a line: "I was very fortunate to meet you MC... I just wished... It doesn't matter now... Let's just... Not be together ok!" The MC mechanically agrees because "Susan can't be part of my future, it's never going to work..." Okay then.

I'm really baffled by the lack of quality in the writing of these scenes. The rest of the game isn't even remotely like this. It's incredibly lazy or rushed and it makes no sense. If you really wanted to write Susan out of the game you should have come up with a more plausible scenario to make it happen and put some effort into writing believable dialogue. Also why give the player choices throughout the game like "Do you love Susan? Yes/No" when it makes absolutely no difference because she leaves you/you dump her either way?

i don't see how you can call this dev lazy while he bothered to have 6 different dialogues for that very scene.

1. if you are on either the father or the romance path and the variable gf_relation2 is higher than 1 you get from Susan the line: "I can't even begin to imagine... Of course, I knew things would be different but... I think it's still worth a try"
2. same path but with gf_relation2 = 1, you get the line: "You have [da] now... Having found your daughter after all this time... Of course, I knew things would be different... But, I'm not ready to give up on us yet... Maybe we can find a way to salvage things and get a good life, you and I, and [da], of course"
3. same path with gf_relation2 = 0, you get: "Tell me, [fa]... Is this the end of us? Because... Me... I just can't go on like this anymore... I just can't"
4. corruption or dominance path with gf_relation2 > 1, you get: "I was very fortunate to meet you [fa] Jensen... I just wished... It doesn't matter now... Let's just... Not be together ok"
5. corruption or dominance path with gf_relation2 = 1, you get: "We had a good run, while it lasted and it would be silly to wait for us to hate each other... Let's just go our separate ways"
6. corruption or dominance path with gf_relation2 = 0, you get: "I can't live like this, it's making me mad! I can't, it's too hard... Let's just break up, for good"

each of those lines make sense in the context of your previous choices: if you chose to have a MC with a negative overall attitude and a corrupted behaviour, no matter how you treated Susan she'll end up wanting to break up with the MC, if you chose to have the MC treating her well enough she'll say she was fortunate to meet up Jansen, if you chose to have the MC being cold to her she'll say that she can't live like this, anything in between she'll say it was a good run while it lasted.
on the other side if you chose to have a MC with an overall positive attitude, Susan will be interested in not breaking up if you had the MC treating her well enough, so if you had the MC cold to her she'll say she can't go on like this anymore, otherwise she'll say she isn't ready to give up yet.
to me all those scenarios make perfect sense. moreover, if you are on either the corruption, or the dominance or the romance paths, it would make no sense for the MC to keep Susan around, either cause she would be a burden while corrupting the daughter or cause she would prevent the MC from romancing the daughter. indeed you only get the choice to keep the relationship with Susan going if you are on the father path. that makes sense too.

none of this looks lazy to me.

fulcrum

Engaged Member
Feb 2, 2018
I chose to treat her reasonably well while going down the domination path with dependent daughter (thrall/slave). the modular dialog here does look weird. There have been like... 2 meet ups since D was... "collected", and even fewer contact initiations by her. Exploding like this after walking out of a dinner meet&fuck and saying "I've got a prescheduled event" once certainly is overreaction.

Reactions: fitgirlbestgirl

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017

Fine, so it happened twice. She cancelled on you at least twice too.

To me she was a welcome distraction. I enjoyed the aspect of taking a firmer hand with your normal/boring girlfriend and spicing up the relationship. Also I really like her model. Different strokes for different folks.

after her burst it was easy for me to let her go, after all we know who will end with MC at the end so why bother with Susan
We don't "know" that though. While blondie might be the main girl it's not unreasonable to expect to be able to have multiple girls in a game like this.

to me all those scenarios make perfect sense. moreover, if you are on either the corruption, or the dominance or the romance paths, it would make no sense for the MC to keep Susan around, either cause she would be a burden while corrupting the daughter or cause she would prevent the MC from romancing the daughter. indeed you only get the choice to keep the relationship with Susan going if you are on the father path. that makes sense too.
So Susan's one line is slightly different depending in part on choices and behavior she can't even be aware of. That isn't "making sense in the context of your previous choices", that's just trying to shoehorn in some kind of justification for why this weird event suddenly happens. You treat her exactly the same but on the Corruption path she magically senses that you want to turn your daughter into a fucktoy and breaks up with you. You're right, I take it back, that's not lazy, that's stupid.

And you can actually stay with Susan only on the most boring path nobody is going to choose, I'm sure a lot of effort and scenes are going to go into that one. Zzz.

Also I don't really get why everybody just parrots the MC's reasoning that Susan would be a "burden while corrupting the daughter or cause she would prevent the MC from romancing the daughter", that doesn't have to be the case. You could easily write it in a way where you keep it secret from Susan on the White Knight path, it's not like she is around 24/7. While on the Sociopath path you could just work on corrupting Susan as well, it's already heavily hinted at that she is submissive.

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
those that have so called picked the 'evil' option to dominate the daughter what do you think about it?
So far so good? There isn't any actual sexual content yet so it's hard to say, but I like the internal monologues of the dad a lot more than the "OH NO I CAN'T LOOK AT MY PURE DAUGHTER THIS WAY" stuff you get in the White Knight path. That being said I don't like how black and white the paths are. It's literally either you tip your fedora at her and go into a mental breakdown because you look at her boobs or it's "haha, can't wait until she's a mindless slave who sucks off hobos for me."

I wish the dev would just abandon this good/evil path concept and just make it about individual choices. Or at least make it a bit less stark. It's a little on the nose with the "YOU HAVE NO EMPATHY FOR HER AT ALL, YOU JUST WANT TO USE HER" and "I MUST PROTECT MY PURE VIRGIN WAIFU"

blastwave2k

Jun 23, 2017
those that have so called picked the 'evil' option to dominate the daughter what do you think about it?
that's what i play. i have no idea how the "good" path works out or if its even different. what i do know is that the dominating and corrupting paths don't really seem any different from each other. every time i'm afraid i'll miss something cool, i save at a choice, play for a bit, reload, replay, then find out that i'm in exactly the same place with only some minor dialogue differences along the way. so after a while, i honestly just stopped looking for differences.

4.60 star(s) 83 Votes