VN Ren'Py Our Life: Beginnings & Always [v1.7.1 + All DLC's] [GBPatch]

4.70 star(s) 25 Votes

FugginDamaged

May 20, 2020
New sneak peek of weeding DLC from Twitter

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

That's make me think that I only saw 1 CG for Step 4 so far...

the cg from step 4 must be that scene where you just met cove again before he sticks his head inside the window

Shilou

Donor
Nov 26, 2018
GB Patch said:
JUL 24, 2021 AT 12:11 PM
GB Patch: Future Game Possibilities!

Hi everybody,

Since we hit (and then wildly exceeded) the top goal on the Patreon, things are going really well for us here at GB Patch Games! With so much backing, it's pretty likely that we'll be able to keep making games past the launch of Our Life: Now & Forever. I really wanna thank you all for that support. It's wonderful and encouraging that there are so many people out there who love our games. We'll do our best not to waste the opportunity to keep creating
I did consider making a video to chat about this (it also would've had subtitles for those who needed/preferred to read), but the Patreon Bonus Moment release ended up having a much bigger launch than I expected, and I didn't end up having the time to set things up for a new type of update post. But we can still keep that concept in mind for potentially something else later.
Now, to start this talk about the future, the obvious thing is that we want to release the stuff we've already been working on but haven't finished! We're moving towards getting the rest of the XOXO Blood Droplets routes done, we're planning to have an Android version of Lake of Voices made, it'd be great to finally complete our mini side project Floret Bond, etc. That sort of stuff is something that'll be worked in to whatever other brand new project plans get set. So, here's what I've been thinking about-

Our Life, But Different 1:
I'm afraid we won't be able to make another game exactly like Our Life: B&A and N&F. Specifically, we can't do a third game with four time periods you live through with your next-door neighbor. I don't think I could keep it engaging for a third time, aha. But that doesn't mean we have to end the series with two entries, we could come up with ways to make the next Our Life a more unique experience. The super high MC customization would still be a part of any OL game, of course.
Right now, I have two main premises for how to continue the franchise, this is the first one: have only two time periods and the MC knows the LIs through some other method besides being neighbors.
With two time periods we'd be able to invest more into each, going into further depth/detail than the original games, and maybe we could even have a little more of a structured plot to interact with. It'd be flexible in how you went along with it, but there'd just potentially be more to the events than hanging around your town. And since the MC/LIs would only have to be in each other's lives for two sections, there'd be a much wider amount of options open for how they know one another because it wouldn't have to last for years. We could do something cute, like there's a locally owned business the MC's family tends to patronize, and it belongs to an LI's family. Then in the future the LI could be the one running the business. And maybe another LI is on the same extracurricular team as the LI after their parents both signed them up to be a part of it. The different LIs could all have their own fun, unique tie to the MC's life. We could still have it be one season for the whole game (spring or winter) or we have it where the younger part is in winter and the older part is in spring/vice versa.
Also, since we already have two modern day games about growing up, I'd be interested in making this one a quaint historical story or a cool future set one, if players wanted it. That might be very nice. It's only option one, though.

Our Life, But Different 2:
I've got another idea of a game that could also fall into the Our Life series, but it would be even more different in terms of structure than the other one. Instead of growing older with separate timeframes, we could try out going all in with letting you experience one full year knowing the LI. It could start the day you meet and then every week of the next year would have scenes about how your relationship grew/changed.
You’d get to play around with the progression of the connection a lot more. Maybe you ask them on a casual date for fun the first time you speak, maybe you barely acknowledge their presence, maybe you really click and are instantly friends, perhaps you just get their number but aren’t sure if you’ll even use it. Every week there’d be a new chance to reach out yourself, react to them reaching out, or to go about your own business because neither of you made an attempt during that time. Things could start out with meet ups in town and texts/calls then as time went on (if you grew closer) you’d get to step further into the LI’s world; seeing where they work, meeting friends/family, visiting where they live (maybe even moving in together near in the end if your relationship was going very well).
And rather than deciding if you like them platonically, romantically, or you didn’t really like them, we’d be able to get a lot more in-depth. Perhaps you’re considering them for a partner but are giving it more time before deciding, or maybe you love one side of them but can barely tolerate some other part of their personality. The LI could also have more complicated feelings about you in return.
Plus, since we could invest all the art asset energy into one period, we could try having the LI(s) get a full wardrobe of clothes instead one casual outfit and some special occasion clothes. They could change their hairstyle regularly and maybe go through different phases of facial hair over the year (if they can grow facial hair out). There'd be all sorts of neat ways we could try making it feel authentic.
This would be modern set like the prior games, since it’d definitely be going for that normal, everyday kind of feel.

Our Life Sibling Series:
And now we get to the non-Our-Life franchise idea. This would still go for all that MC/relationship customization, which it's why it's kind of like a sibling series, but everything else would be too different for it match with the OL brand. We'd be starting up a new franchise with its own name. Because while Our Life is, naturally, about jumping into the world of the game and living a life, a future game we make could instead be about becoming a part of a story and determining how it goes. Basically, there'd be little to no "slice-of-life" in the tone. We'd be replacing that with adventure, mystery, and fantasy (or something similar), possibly political intrigue and or thriller/low-key horror stuff. It'd be a tenser kind of experience.
You would not only get choose who, if anyone, you liked, but who you're going to side with in opposing groups or if you'd be going on your own. Who are you going to trust? Is there anyone you'd give up useful knowledge to or share your secrets with? What are you going to look into? There are things going on all around, but you can't be in more than once place at a time. And so on. It'd be the type of story where it's solid/intriguing enough that it could run its course as a straightforward tale, but then you come in and just get interact with all the moving parts how you want to, potentially making it go off in all sorts of other directions.
And I do mean all sorts, we'd definitely let you play as a morally gray or even unapologetically evil character. We could also have morally ambiguous/truly evil love interest options. Why not help the cause of someone who's beautiful and crushes others? You wouldn't be punished for that by me.
Now, I imagine if you're really risky/ridiculous you could end up with a bad ending in this game where you get yourself killed or in jail or something, haha. But the structure would definitely be based more around seeing what you can do in this story, rather than trying to guess what you shouldn't do. Though, on the flip side of that, there wouldn't be any perfect endings either. Unless you really only care about yourself/one other person, you'd go through unfortunate things no matter what. This wouldn't be a game where you're able to make everything wonderful for everybody in the cast at the same time. But hey, giving different characters/groups their own happy endings is what multiple playthroughs are for.

Going Off the Rails:
Lastly, we have something I don't tend to talk about but has always been there. Even before I started making games I had ideas for this that I've held onto to this day. I'm really not sure it'll ever happen, but I thought since I was doing this future games idea post that it'd be amusing to at least share with our supporters. I truly love the OL games and would happily make more like them in the future, but there is the duality of man and truthfully what I've always hoped to do as creator is a full-sized, commercial, absolutely brutal horror-mystery game, haha.

If I did actually attempt it we'd have to make secondary social media just for that project, so it wasn't present alongside our others. Because it'd be something different, not even our other horror-y games like Lake of Voices and XOXO Blood Droplets would fit with it. I want to make a game that's twisted, unfair, and vicious to the characters going through it. The exact game changes depending on when you ask. Currently there's two contenders; Black Feathers and LNF. Black Feathers is the one I've had from the beginning and LNF is more recent. Both are similar in terms of their very basic concept, they're about a group of people who live in a not good place with outside dangers while the people you're living with are just as potentially dangerous. It's common for people to die and you have to be proactive, clever, and potentially cruel yourself to survive/solve mysteries. For all these years of making VNs I've always paused in trying for Black Feathers or another project like it because I didn't feel capable of pulling it off. And at this point, the other games we make have so much value to people that I don't really think I should go so far off in another direction and invest a year or more to create my dark, horrific dream game. Though, perhaps even further in the future there will be a chance, but now you know my secret hope as a game developer, haha.

Final Thoughts:

That's all I've got at this point. I've had other game ideas over the years, but they're definitely in the 'not able to consider for the near future/if ever' pile. Please feel free to let me know what you think of any of this! Would you be happy if we went down one of these routes for the project after OL2? Is there one in particular that stands out most to you? In the future should we maybe try fleshing out multiple concepts with more specific settings/stories/characters before truly deciding on any?

Either way, thank you very much for reading this long post. I appreciate you being here ♡

Jiffie

Nov 8, 2017
Can we get their other games uploaded here, please? Does anyone have them to share?
I've been stalking Our Life and XOXO Droplets on sites for that, for a long time now :p, I do hope someone would share, though you can find Lake of Voices on igg-games (it's pretty grim, and I romanced the The Guide like a [love struck] fool, so it wasn't very romantic! :ROFLMAO:) Edit: I'm an idiot, LOV is free, it was A Foretold Affair from that site. I'm slightly disappointed in XOXO, as I was expecting a bit more grit, and less EdgyTM, but it just didn't have the charm of their other games, at least, not in the free version; I'm hoping their paid content of Jeremy and/or Bae (not into Pran's blankdere/gentlegiantdere? type) would be a bit more exciting, their Blood version was ten times better (and not just because it was "gory", which it sort of wasn't, really? Just a few bloody "bad ends", but this might be the desensitized me talking, hahahaha~!), Bae really impressed me in that, even the heroine was more tolerable (she's still obnoxiously, but I actually found it charming, this time), so I'm going to guess the game is just too old to have absorbed their finesse practice?

I still haven't found the xoxo droplets expansion but I have found the Foretold Affairs
Hey, thank you!

I've play A Foretold Affair before, I romanced Kea, they were very cute, from beginning to end. Is this version partially voiced? I downloaded the game from that other site, a few years back, and mine wasn't voiced at all, but the steam page talks about partial voice acting? Though I'm afraid I already played it through, and have no desires of revisiting it anywhere in the near future (I'm not a repeat reader).

Last edited:
Reactions: FugginDamaged

sp_Ace

Dec 13, 2020
I like all the future game possibilities, but Im kinda liking the last one more ❣
Im a glutton for fluff and slice of life games, but im also a glutton for dark and horror ones, indeed the duality of man

CookyDough

Jul 3, 2021
Does anyone know if there's a confirmed release date for step 4?
Nope, there isn't but my guess it will be either mid-August or toward the end of it.
The beta for Step 4 barely begun, and it seems they want to release the weeding DLC at the same time since I am seeing so many assets for it recently.

laserjet28

May 15, 2021
Nope, there isn't but my guess it will be either mid-August or toward the end of it.
The beta for Step 4 barely begun, and it seems they want to release the weeding DLC at the same time since I am seeing so many assets for it recently.
OK that makes sense since they just released this BETA version and the Patreon exclusive~
So, do you know if the wedding DLC will be the only DLC for step 4, or will there be more planned in the future? I hope they don't just end at their wedding, cos I wanna know what happens after too~ uwu
Thanks for replying btw :giggle:

I.S.O.

Mar 24, 2019
OK that makes sense since they just released this BETA version and the Patreon exclusive~
So, do you know if the wedding DLC will be the only DLC for step 4, or will there be more planned in the future? I hope they don't just end at their wedding, cos I wanna know what happens after too~ uwu
They're also doing the DLC to make Baxter and Derek romanceable, though I don't actually know if that or the Wedding DLC is going to come out first. Those will be the last DLCs to be released though.

Also, pretty certain the Wedding DLC will be released after Step 4. They're working on all of them, but releasing Step 4 before the DLC has always been their plan, as far as I'm aware...

Reactions: laserjet28

CookyDough

Jul 3, 2021
Like ISO said, Derek and Baxter DLC are planned to come after the Wedding DLC, but unfortunately no plan has been announced after these so far for "Our Life 1". Me too, I want more of the cast, I want to see their babies too, lol

Reactions: laserjet28

laserjet28

May 15, 2021
They're also doing the DLC to make Baxter and Derek romanceable, though I don't actually know if that or the Wedding DLC is going to come out first. Those will be the last DLCs to be released though.

Also, pretty certain the Wedding DLC will be released after Step 4. They're working on all of them, but releasing Step 4 before the DLC has always been their plan, as far as I'm aware...
I'm assuming that the Derek and Baxter DLCs will come before the Wedding DLC cos it seems like they have been planning that for quite some time now. As for the Wedding DLC, do you know if it's gonna be one big moment or will it have more additional moments like what they did for the previous DLCs? Coz now I'm wondering how many moments are they gonna give us for Step 4 when it's released....:unsure:

Like ISO said, Derek and Baxter DLC are planned to come after the Wedding DLC, but unfortunately no plan has been announced after these so far for "Our Life 1". Me too, I want more of the cast, I want to see their babies too, lol
Oh so it's coming after the Wedding DLC not before? Has that been confirmed? I'm happy either way, coz I'm excited for all of them!! I'm also really anticipating what Derek would look like all grown up. They gave us hints during his phone call, but no picture like they did for Jeremy... so now I'm really curious!!:love:

They can really go on forever with this game if they wanted to.... I can foresee like Step 20 We're with Cove in his old age and living like KINGS with a bunch of kids around them celebrating their lives!! AND then if they want to, after they could even follow their kids stories and just continue the game until the end of time~~ AHAHAA I'd love to see it~~ :LOL:(y):love:

FugginDamaged

May 20, 2020
I'm assuming that the Derek and Baxter DLCs will come before the Wedding DLC cos it seems like they have been planning that for quite some time now. As for the Wedding DLC, do you know if it's gonna be one big moment or will it have more additional moments like what they did for the previous DLCs? Coz now I'm wondering how many moments are they gonna give us for Step 4 when it's released....:unsure:

Oh so it's coming after the Wedding DLC not before? Has that been confirmed? I'm happy either way, coz I'm excited for all of them!! I'm also really anticipating what Derek would look like all grown up. They gave us hints during his phone call, but no picture like they did for Jeremy... so now I'm really curious!!:love:

They can really go on forever with this game if they wanted to.... I can foresee like Step 20 We're with Cove in his old age and living like KINGS with a bunch of kids around them celebrating their lives!! AND then if they want to, after they could even follow their kids stories and just continue the game until the end of time~~ AHAHAA I'd love to see it~~ :LOL:(y):love:

they announced on a they made for that purpose, step 4 and wedding dlc are be first. Also I think the wedding dlc is gonna work as the additional dlc for step4, which is why I will be waiting the wedding dlc to come out to play step 4

Edit: just because I sounded rude and that was not my intention sorry

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019
Checking on the thread nice to see someone shared the beta that got a post on patreon (I've been busy with an assignment where I pitch a mobile app and it's taken up 98% of my time as well as planning out a text game lol) also I feel like every time I see the loli tag my eye twitches.

balitz Method

Jan 30, 2018
Is there some trick to installing the DLC? When I paste it into the game folder it says:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
ScriptError: Name (u'game/moment_selection_dlc1.rpy', 1577825526, 0) is defined twice, at DLC_Step_1/moment_selection_dlc1.rpyc:1 and game/moment_selection_dlc1.rpy:1.

Shilou

Donor
Nov 26, 2018
Hey everyone, here's the Patreon moment v1.1!

\^.^/

Windows/Linux:
| |

Mac:
| |

Android (.apk):
| |

GB Patch said:
JUL 26, 2021 AT 12:01 PM
Bug Fixes: Patreon Bonus Moment (PC, Mac, & Android) 18+!

Thank you for all of the feedback on the Patreon Moment! We've released a version that's a bit more spruced up and this is what'll be considered the final build. As long as you save this file of Patreon Moment you'll always have the best version of it, even if you leave the Patreon.
And since we'll be switching the main download links from the original post to here, I'll repeat the basic info for anyone just joining-

The Our Life: Beginnings & Always Patreon Bonus Moment is an unvoiced, optional side story that's not a part of the main game. You don't need to try adding it your normal build or patching things to get it work. You can treat it like its own brand new game file. This is simply an extra little perk to say thanks for all of the support.
The Moment is set after the ending of Step 3, though Cove and the MC are still the same age as they are in Step 3. It includes explicit 18+ sexual content that can be skipped, censored, or experienced in full.

Instructions:
For Android you can simply let it install after downloading the file. For Mac and PC you'll need to use a program to unzip the file after downloading, then you'll get a new folder and can launch the game from an application inside that folder.
Also, make sure you start a fresh save. Loading anything that's not from this current build will cause errors.

What was updated:
  • Reported typos, grammar problems, and continuity issues should be all fixed
  • The save screen now has auto saves, more save slot pages, and it automatically prevents you from accidentally loading a save from the main game (doing so breaks the Patreon Moment)
Thanks so much for such a supportive and encouraging response to this bonus story. I'm really happy people enjoyed it

4.70 star(s) 25 Votes