VN Ren'Py Our Life: Beginnings & Always [v1.7.1 + All DLC's] [GBPatch]

4.70 star(s) 25 Votes

CookyDough

Jul 3, 2021
** STEP 4 SPOILER **

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

(^///^)
Only one sentence? Man, that's so mean and in the middle of the road, lol I couldn't stop myself, so here's how I would've handled it!

I am leaving the rest of the night up to your imagination :devilish:

Last edited:

Ramen-

Aug 28, 2018
So how does this whole thing work in the future?

1. Stand alone 18+ version where you have sex with Cove and that's all, without connection to the base game.
2. Step 4 which is part of the normal game.
3. Marriage DLC which works like the previous memory DLCs, so you add it to the base game.
4. Bexter and Derek DLC which works with the base game

?. Our Life 2, a brand new game

FugginDamaged

May 20, 2020
So how does this whole thing work in the future?

1. Stand alone 18+ version where you have sex with Cove and that's all, without connection to the base game.
2. Step 4 which is part of the normal game.
3. Marriage DLC which works like the previous memory DLCs, so you add it to the base game.
4. Bexter and Derek DLC which works with the base game

?. Our Life 2, a brand new game
that's pretty much it.

Reactions: laserjet28

CookyDough

Jul 3, 2021
I am jealous, I can barely fluster my bf now :ROFLMAO:

Edit: I just finished my play through in Indifferent mode until the end and let me tell you, the dev missed the opportunity to not make the relationship between MC and Cove dynamic (meaning your choices change Cove affection during the chapter).

My main reason for that little rant is because the Cove in the indifferent route is similar from 8 years kid to 18 years teen. Which mean he is blunt and more independent in his behavior even when warm, he still the same in general, so they were some real tensions that could have bloomed into a romantic relationship if you ask me.

Also, the fact that he stay pretty much the same is refreshing because when you change his affection level, he kinda changes too much if you ask me worse it's when he is warm, he became a total marshmallow lol So his change of behavior is really too radical for my taste (yeah even if gradually change his affection level, it's because a lot has happened off-screen, so you can't really appreciate how he is warming up, imo), that's what I try to say while when you play indifferent route, you can feel he is warming up to MC during the chapter thanks to the events they're going through together. That's something not even in fond route you can feel.

The unrequited love route would've been so beautiful and painful in it, for MC, imo.

Anyway, here are some screenshots I took during the route that could've become something much more (let me dream of a fan fiction lol)

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. Just a small rant haha
Step 4 can't come soon enough.

Last edited:

Jiffie

Nov 8, 2017
I am jealous, I can barely fluster my bf now :ROFLMAO:

Edit: I just finished my play through in Indifferent mode until the end and let me tell you, the dev missed the opportunity to not make the relationship between MC and Cove dynamic (meaning your choices change Cove affection during the chapter).

My main reason for that little rant is because the Cove in the indifferent route is similar from 8 years kid to 18 years teen. Which mean he is blunt and more independent in his behavior even when warm, he still the same in general, so they were some real tensions that could have bloomed into a romantic relationship if you ask me.

Also, the fact that he stay pretty much the same is refreshing because when you change his affection level, he kinda changes too much if you ask me worse it's when he is warm, he became a total marshmallow lol So his change of behavior is really too radical for my taste (yeah even if gradually change his affection level, it's because a lot has happened off-screen, so you can't really appreciate how he is warming up, imo), that's what I try to say while when you play indifferent route, you can feel he is warming up to MC during the chapter thanks to the events they're going through together. That's something not even in fond route you can feel.

The unrequited love route would've been so beautiful and painful in it, for MC, imo.

Anyway, here are some screenshots I took during the route that could've become something much more (let me dream of a fan fiction lol)

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. Just a small rant haha
Step 4 can't come soon enough.
I agree, I played indifference once, as little kids, because I wanted to grow the relationship as bare bones, then actually bloom into a mad love, but I didn't like how cold they treated each other; it felt more like hate/aversion than indifference (literally Cove did absolutely nothing to deserve it, but upon first meeting with indifference, player was acting bratty, like they couldn't stand to look at Cove, let alone have him around, and I was like, okay, why?:WaitWhat:), and it felt too strange for two children strangers to have that feeling, for me, since I've always been a friendly, bubbly kid, myself. I played along with being shy and bold (though I've never been shy a day of my life), just to feel that growing dynamic I think you're looking for, but you're completely right, they seemed to missed the mark of LI leveling, since they made it a force control of the player, instead of options to push Cove and MC's love and comfort in game.

I have to admit, I do like the control, more than most otome games, because I don't have to pretend I'm someone I'm not, to snag the LI, but I think a balance of obvious options (confessions of love and flirting) and character impressions (OL's indifference-blunt and neutral-love gauge) should have blended together. It sort of goes along with my rant about Cove's initiation, he's clearly thirsty for MC, but he will never make a move unless you make the first one, which I understand the value in consent and all, but as a traditional/old fashion woman, when it comes to these things, I want the man to ask me out, for once. There's not an otome game out there I know of, where they guy makes the first move, and it bums me out, because I like a man in charge.

I get it's for player agency, but can't these guys take a hint? I drop them like crazy in these games, and creators should always be given the option to reject, if "signals" were misconstrued (which I can't imagine how?). They make it easy pursuing these guys, but don't have them confessing they're love until you do (sometimes with you giving the first kiss), and it's a bummer.

CookyDough

Jul 3, 2021
It sort of goes along with my rant about Cove's initiation, he's clearly thirsty for MC, but he will never make a move unless you make the first one, which I understand the value in consent and all, but as a traditional/old fashion woman, when it comes to these things, I want the man to ask me out, for once. There's not an otome game out there I know of, where they guy makes the first move, and it bums me out, because I like a man in charge.
In fact, we've to blame the Patreons for that. I found that post on Steam from a beta tester

Thank god the dev found a compromise and let us set up the level of initiation, but seriously I think these people exaggerated on their image of being a demi, imo. From Cove description in game, I though that being a demi is that only one person can swoon you, your soul mate or love of your life.

I didn't know back then when I tested that their relationship was not dynamic, so I tried to make my MC create romantic chances during Step 3 when she was at crush level. Well, never again I will do that I prefer that Cove confesses himself instead and let them pretend they're friends when having crush to each other with just blushes lol (Give me at least lewd hand holding dang it)

Last edited:

verlyone

Mar 12, 2018
Apparently, I have to come out of hiding (hello) to clear some things up. I'm that beta tester that was mentioned in the last post. The devs of the game were the ones that made Cove demi not the patreons, and no, demisexuality is not just falling in love with one person, it's a real sexuality.

it's on the asexual spectrum. one lives their life mostly asexual until they form an emotional bond with someone that they click with and only then they may also experience a sexual bond as well. this is Cove's sexuality. This is why he struggles with sex. again, the paterons didn't do this, the devs did.

I'll just tell you from personal experience I don't stop being demi, and by that I mean sometimes asexual even when I have a partner that I love. cove even talks about this. he explains that he hates that he seems so split on sexual things. I love that the game doesn't shy away from the reality of dealing with someone on the asexual spectrum.

he's also autistic. that's also been confirmed by the devs. but the main reason there is no actual sex in the main game is because the devs want to keep the game PG. This is why the more adulty stuff happens when they are 18.

what I was explaining in the quote that was above. is that the way the game played a month or so before the initial launch most people did not see Cove being romantic at all in their playthrough. the patreons started a discussion on why Cove was not being affectionate. This was the very first time I had ever mentioned on patreon that I myself am also demi. I left a personal account in where I explained how much I saw myself in Cove were he said quite a few things that I had said myself and was very surprised that a game ID'd me so well.

What was explained to us is that Cove has always hugged, kissed, and expressed affection for his partner at a high affection. They devs added the initiation system so that we could actually see the settings that had always been there but several of us had never seen. Cove was designed to be mostly reactive though. The player character has the most of the choices, because the game itself is designed so that the player character has as much customization as possible. They felt taking that away when it came to romance would be going backwards. The game has to take in account for the player's sexuality and how comfortable they are with sex as well. This game doesn't pretend to be a normal otome game.

let's see, what other stuff can I say. oh,

The patreon moment was promised way back last july, I think, when we past some tier level. that's when were told it wouldn't be full sex, one of the extra artist was going to do the artwork and we agreed that we were ok with it not matching main games art work. we knew their would be no voice acting. Everything that was included was exactly what we were promised. I know news got out, like it was going to, but if anyone was disappointed in what was there, it wasn't really made for them anyway. :p

btw, indifferent means indifferent. cove and the mc will never be friends in that play through. it's designed that way. each is set up for the full year because cove and the mc share whatever affection level that is. The idea is not that Cove has secret feelings in friend or indifferent routes. he truly is either a friend or he just doesn't like the mc.

This way if someone playing the game wants to play the game with Cove as only their friend they don't' have to worry about a surprise romance they didn't want or might find it interesting to play the game where these two families make these rude assholes hang out that just don't like each other. (I totally want to do this at some point)

Vasin

Nov 20, 2018
They devs added the initiation system so that we could actually see the settings that had always been there but several of us had never seen.
I don't quite get it, why didn't people see them? The way I understand it (and I didn't compare playthroughs side by side) is high initiative takes away some player choices and makes Cove act instead of MC? So wouldn't people who didn't see those things because they technically chose not to? I always play at high initiative and still find Cove to be too passive.

verlyone

Mar 12, 2018
we had a conversation that led to the initiation system being implemented because there were a couple patrons that felt like Cove was not affectionate at all. there was nothing in the game itself indicating Cove's affection. it was all depending on a player's choices throughout the game. just like figuring what Cove is going wear or his personality. Whatever these patrons were choosing to do in their initial games resulted in a Cove that showed little affection. I personally don't use the cove creator I like seeing the results I get by playing the game and the cove I get is the one I get.

during that discussion the devs came up with the initiation selection. so it would be like it is now where you still make all your in game choices, but the flag is there also that sets how much initiative Cove has to do those things himself.

Cove's never not going to be Cove and be comfortable with sex all of a sudden. lol. he's still going to be his awkward, crybaby self.

so , things I've found in my own game. if you hugged him often he'd figure out that you liked hugs. if you asked him for a kiss after difficult times come up, Cove will kiss a MC unprompted during difficult times. one of my MC's loved his hugs when she was sad and he was *always* there with a hug. if you are talking about anything more intimate than that the only thing that I know of is there are a variety of options after the charity event if they've been together for a long time *and* they've been very affectionate that are not available at a lower affection level. he will also make a comment about the mc being horny if the go over to the MC's house only at very high affection. I'm pretty sure the second "play time" has options that depend on affection level too.

my favorite dynamic is a very shy mc and an outgoing supportive cove.

one of my favorite dialogue choices comes up when they are teens and her mom is running them around all night when they stop at the movies if your MC has any since of humor at all please pick on him. Cove is not wearing shoes and is worried about going in barefoot. you can pick on him about it. Do it! depending on your MC's personality you'll get different results. my last one she said he's going to be bringing some of the floor with him. yuck. lol.

the other one that I know of that makes me laugh is he said "I don't break rules" and you say back "you break rules all the time!

CookyDough

Jul 3, 2021
Cove's never not going to be Cove and be comfortable with sex all of a sudden. lol. he's still going to be his awkward, crybaby self.

so , things I've found in my own game. if you hugged him often he'd figure out that you liked hugs. if you asked him for a kiss after difficult times come up, Cove will kiss a MC unprompted during difficult times. one of my MC's loved his hugs when she was sad and he was *always* there with a hug. if you are talking about anything more intimate than that the only thing that I know of is there are a variety of options after the charity event if they've been together for a long time *and* they've been very affectionate that are not available at a lower affection level. he will also make a comment about the mc being horny if the go over to the MC's house only at very high affection. I'm pretty sure the second "play time" has options that depend on affection level too.
That's where I beg to differ.

I will stop now. I don't want to go into a fight with you, neither want to hurt you. Sorry if I did.

Last edited:

Jiffie

Nov 8, 2017
I agree with most of the things discuss here, I used to think I was demi for most of my teen years, because I was in love with the thought of love; being in a relationship was really important to me, even though I didn't have a single person in mind I found myself attracted to. I did start to notice that after I've begun to form friendships, and learn about other people on a deeper, lengthy level, I felt a stong attraction "suddenly" come on, where I went "heh, I could fall in love with this person" (spoiler alert, never did, because my heart's a fickle little shit that dosn't have time for bonding). This attraction was purely "personality" and not sexual (It'll take me my years in my twenties to realize I don't feel sexual arousal), but it opened me to the world of sexual and romantic expressions, which I think is so important, but people within the "norm" don't pay enough attention to, because all media romance focus on is the heteronormative expression of relationships. I consider myself demiromantic, asexual, and my research/exploration in this, leads me to understand that the spectrum is as broad as the homosexual/queer spectrum, which it's also apart of (LGBTQIA get's mocked for being the "alphabet people", but it's not fair that people still look at attraction as either "straight or gay"; there's a catagory, with a spectrum, in a spectrum, here).

I personally classify it as "Demi"(sexual/romantic) means it takes a "long" time to find that bond that would "activate" that feeling of love and/or arousal, while "A"(sexual/romantic) just means it's not there at all. We also have to take into our account of society and the social constructs we're raised to follow. I was always pressured to be in a relationship when growing up, so to me, having a partner seems like "the right thing to do"; that's my social construct. While my mind and body tells me I don't find anyone sexually arousing, but I find masculine personality attractive and something I can live with affectionately in my family/romantic household (I've so far only been romantically attracted to men, as they complement my femininity more than any of my female friends had). I can also convince myself to pursue sex, even though I don't naturally get aroused, so I'm not sex repulsed, even though I never felt a need/want for it; I conditioned myself to sort of become "desensitized" to the process of sex. Just from my curiosity in trying to understand why people are so interested in it. I still don't understand, but it's no longer a foreign icky-ness to me. :ROFLMAO:

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, Cove has a lot going on that sets his Demi apart from anyone else, we have to factor in his autism (which I think is the biggest factor of his hesitation; he expresses a feeling of "sensory overload", which is the root of autism, and instead of finding a way to express/release it, he just "shuts down", which gives us those "non affectionate"/"begone thot" moments), also, I believe if Cove was heteronomative, and not autistic, he'd still be the shy, awkward passive boy, as that just seems to be the root of his personality, which I get it.

I just see a lot of potential for this "build a boyfriend" genre, and I feel like focus should have went into changing Cove's character, more than focusing on what player is comfortable with; initiating consent/(dis)allowing romance/sexuality isn't that difficult to execute, we don't need a "Cute Demon Crasher's three second check up", but I think OL's 18+ question of consent was played very well (I don't know, I didn't opt out of the sexual content, so...); I like their initiation feature, as it allows players to set the ground rules on what Cove is allowed to do to them, but I also think that no matter how high initiative/in love Cove is, he just doesn't take that first step; I don't think it's a Demi or Autistic thing, I just think that's Cove's baseline personality. He's a submissive man, and that's okay, I just like my partner's with a side of dominance.

verlyone

Mar 12, 2018
hey Cookie, , it's no problem and I'm not mad at all. :)

these are the times as an influencer level patron my suggestions were added to the game:

the added detail as kids that that you *didn't* take the money when you are telling him what happened when you met his dad.

the second time as teens was rewritten because I had a near panic attack as intense as the moment reads now it was even worse during beta testing. again, it was for a "no take the money run" the added detail of Cove saying that they were friends no matter if they took the money or not and also Cliff's added remark at the end of the dinner. also the whole scene was written as if you had taken the money.

The dev said the point is that the moment was about Cove and his family and not about the MC's feelings. I got that, but it didn't lessen my panic attack and wanting to explain to Cove that my MC didn't take any money. but now I understand that *that* is not what Cove is mad about. he's mad at his dad. It didn't even faze him to be upset at the MC. But the moment had those things added to it so that as intense as it is your mc (and you) don't have to feel so out of sorts.

the third time is as teens when you run around town with Cove and his mom and end up at the end of town. I asked about it being where Cove ran away and if that could be brought up and the little detail of mentioning it to Cove.

(in my own playthrough I always do this after the dinner and tell his mom. and then maybe Cove will someday confront the truth that sometimes he's just like his dad with keeping secrets.)

4.70 star(s) 25 Votes