RobertKing

Feb 8, 2024
This is just demonstrably not true, if you spent more than a minute interacting with real life women (or even paying attention to what women themselves say online) instead of men's perception of women and what they want. Firstly, even the most pathetic forms of in-game Ian are in shape, take care of their hygeine, and make an effort socially. Secondly, have you seen some of the guys beautiful women lower themselves to date?
SO... you agree? Lena is lowering herself for him?

RobertKing

Feb 8, 2024
Great stories where writer is the MC and goes the hero journey? Not movie, but a game: Alan Wake.
Stories about writers are not boring. And no one force you to do the writer path, you have the alternative in MMA. You have the default Ian at the beginning and play him as you want. So maybe it's not Ian being boring, maybe that's your choices.

Videogames are not about real world, it's about having fun in fictional environment.

And why didn't she look at him? Starter Lena is not a typical instathot, she is a completely normal girl looking for goals in life, with a broken heart and a baggage of problems. She doesn't have this "I'm a goddess" superiority complex. In addition, Lena is a creative soul by default and she and Ian can easily find a common language.
It's great Ian has the MMA option, and you know... lots of people here seem to enjoy his play through enough. But when asking why the Ian play through gets hate... it's because the majority of players (irrespective of if he's a likable guy) can't wait for the Lena play through, bc that play through has story and teeth to it.

Lena's life and choices for her path of morality are intrinsically tied to her modeling, and sexuality.

I would love if EK upped Ian's cred in MMA and got to him to a level of status. And EK could have made him still a nice guy in those other roles, just within a job that actually moves the story along rather than diverting from it.

Sure, Ian gets laid, but no player of this game will ever read his book. The entire trope of very specifically, his job, takes away from the game play instead of adding to it.

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
It's great Ian has the MMA option, and you know... lots of people here seem to enjoy his play through enough. But when asking why the Ian play through gets hate... it's because the majority of players (irrespective of if he's a likable guy) can't wait for the Lena play through, bc that play through has story and teeth to it.

Lena's life and choices for her path of morality are intrinsically tied to her modeling, and sexuality.

I would love if EK upped Ian's cred in MMA and got to him to a level of status. And EK could have made him still a nice guy in those other roles, just within a job that actually moves the story along rather than diverting from it.

Sure, Ian gets laid, but no player of this game will ever read his book. The entire trope of very specifically, his job, takes away from the game play instead of adding to it.
"Ian is hated" is a small but loud echo chamber here.
There is some imbalance between Ian and Lena, where Lena is in a more vulnerable and difficult position and she is faced with a choice - to go the shortcut, earning money with her body and making a deal with the devil (Seymour) to easily solve all her problems, or to go with more thorny path of art - because Lena, like Ian, is also a person of art - she sings and plays the guitar. For some reason, many forget this and don't see that Lena and Ian are similar. They just see Lena as another object of corruption like Ashley in GGGB - which is not surprising. Many people here came from GGGB and they have the same tastes.
I have both paths, where Ian is a writer and Ian is a fighter and I am interested to see both endings.

it's because the majority of players (irrespective of if he's a likable guy) can't wait for the Lena play through, bc that play through has story and teeth to it.
Right, can't wait Lena-Seymour pimp arc update (No).

notstaged

Jul 26, 2024
You ever see a movie about a writer, who goes through the 'Hero's Journey,' He writes and writes, and then needs to get better at writing, and then he stays home rather than going out and partying so he can write, and then there's a music montage to "eye of the tiger" while he writes and writes and then at the end he wrote the next harry potter and scores the hot chick....
Honestly, I don't remember Barton Fink, Jack Torrance and James Caan in Misery going through any kind of training montage.

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
Honestly, I don't remember Barton Fink, Jack Torrance and James Caan in Misery going through any kind of training montage.
Ironically enough (given the poster's claim) iirc there's a sequence in Misery that can sort of pass for one. Well, more of a "writing montage" with the guy working on the book, but still. There is more than one movie with writer as the protagonist, too. In fact, probably more movies about them than "model promoters". Now that sounds like boring ass job. :sneaky:

fatpussy123

May 9, 2020
If we honestly think it's unrealistic for a guy like Ian to get a girl like Lena we are way too far into delusion land. Ignoring the fact that conventionally unattractive guys get with conventionally attractive women all the time. Ian, who is pretty conventionally attractive, at the start of the game before player input magic, is physically fit, highly social, shares common interest with Lena, and is presented as a very respectable man. This already puts him ahead of the vast majority of men.

Generally speaking he already meets most women's generic requirements. The only way other men can compete is if they have a similar (or better, which is uncommon) portfolio or the women have a different aesthetic preference, a specific fetish (like Lena on the BBC route), or want a rich man. All of which are superficial preferences that Lena, at the start of the game, does not have.

If you're a man and look at Ian and Lena and think that would never happen because Ian is unattractive and Lena is attractive. Congratulations, you're straight and not attracted to Ian. However, plenty of women would go for a guy like Ian and do so all the time. The world isn't like the fantasy sold to you in redpill podcasts where only the top 1% man who is the most ripped and richest can attract beautiful women.

fatpussy123

May 9, 2020
how do we feel about the emma romance in chapter 12? i like emma but i honestly didn't expect it at all.
I like it a lot. I enjoy the friends to fwb to lovers arc they have. It's very different compared to a lot the other girls having a crush on Ian for a long time or Lena developing feelings quickly. Cherry has a similar fwb to lovers story, but with Emma it feels sweeter because she and Ian have been friends for so long. I also think it fits Emma's character, who is a thrill/passion seeker to view Ian, who gives her the most wild experiences, as her love option. It also plays on her insecurities about being more feminine that she expressed to Lena, despite her tomboyish attitude she either feels pressured to find a traditional relationship with someone like Ian or she does truly want something like that.

notstaged

Jul 26, 2024
There is more than one movie with writer as the protagonist, too.
Depending on certain choices (being mean to Perry and antagonizing Jeremy) ORS can be considered basically an origin story to the guy from As Good as It Gets. There's too many coincidences, the main love interest is a waitress too. So we might already unravel one possible ending, in a distant future Ian's gonna be promising to change his homophobic and racist ways for the chance of love with a single mother.

4.60 star(s) 327 Votes